www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
mark poulson

Re: Nice Move ABA and DFG???

Post by mark poulson »

On the subject of keeping fish alive, I suggested to a couple of TDs that they include Rejuvenade, or something like it, and a bag of ice, in the tournament package, to be sure eveyone is equipped to protect the fish as well as is possible.
Both of them told me it was the anglers' responsibility to keep their fish alive. I told them I thought they were being a bit short sighted, and that, if there were lots of dead or floating fish after their tourneys, the DFG would come down on them, not the anglers.
They told me to butt out.
I don't understand how they can't get it. Dead fish=no more tournaments=no more money. Can it get any simpler?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kennyo

Post by Kennyo »

Referring to the Wednesday night Turkey shoot.

ABA doesn't have anything to do with it. I do. My name is Kenny O and I have acquired permits for the next 10 Wednesdays. To anyone who really understands whats going on up here' thanks for the support. I am in the middle of all of this with all sides and it sucks. Here it is in a nutshell ( or I could write a book )

Fish and Game: Totally out of line with the way they handled it and they are on a major powertrip but appreciate thier concerns for the fisheries.

ABA: Definately screwed up but this stemmed from a DFG screwup when they blamed Steve for all the dead fish. I live here. That week leading up to the tourney dead fish were seen for miles. If you told DFG that they launched out of County Pk they could have just went there and netted fifty dead fish.

Anglers: We are all getting screwed somehow or another because of politics and powertrips.

Dan Stahlman: Whoever you are you have no idea whats going on up here and you to us are the biggest whiniest weasel of them all. If I didn t know any better I d assume you hang out with a guy named George. It only takes acouple of douchebags to ruin it for the rest of us.

Can't we all get along.........................NOT
Kennyo

Post by Kennyo »

TT

I'll see you Wed. night.
Thanks for the complement
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Here it is in a nutshell ( or I could write a book )

Fish and Game: Totally out of line with the way they handled it and they are on a major powertrip but appreciate thier concerns for the fisheries.
Kenny...thanks for posting. Would you mind elaborating on your statement that the DFG was "totally out of line" and were "on a major powertrip"? What is your recommendation as to how they could of handled the situation better?
ABA: Definately screwed up but this stemmed from a DFG screwup when they blamed Steve for all the dead fish.
So are you saying the DFG blamed ABA for dead fish that wasn't from one of their tournaments? How many were actually from their tournament?
Anglers: We are all getting screwed somehow or another because of politics and powertrips.
Again, I need to get a clarification on this statement. How are we getting screwed by politics and powertrips?

I don't mean to put you on the spot, Kenny, because I truly do appreciate someone "in the know" posting about this subject, but I just think this could be good information that the Anglers, Tournament Circuits, and the DFG could all use to make sure this type of incident doesn't happen again and to strengthen the relationships.

Oh, and also...does anyone know what the TD said to the anglers when all this came down? He must of had a good reason for doing what he did? A misunderstanding perhaps? I've met Steve on a few occasions and he seemed like a nice, stand-up guy. I hate to see all of this come down on his shoulders.

Thanks,
Sean Graf

Post by Sean Graf »

I would like to know if ABA was issued the proper permits needed for hosting a tournament at Clear Lake on the date of the canceled tournament.

If the TD knew he was banned from hosting any events on Clear Lake, shame on him!

If the DFG issued the proper permits to ABA, then caught there mistake and waited till the weigh into step in, shame on them! They should have taken action long before they did.

This discussion will not get any better unless we get a statement from both the DFG and ABA.

I invite the DFG and ABA to chime in on this topic at any time.

Somebody make some calls and get the facts!
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

Allright Kennyo, Dan Stahlman here, but first I would like to apologize to the members of the forum for the language I used on my original post. It was uncalled for and I should know you don't get a point over by using this type of Language. Also, to those of you who were concerned with my spelling of whining I also apologize and will have my Daughter teach me how to find spell check.

Now to the names you have called me in a personal attack that I do resent. I in no way attacked any individual but was concerned with what I have observed by some TD's a total lack of concern for the fishery. As far as not knowing what is going on up here I have lived up here 17 years and have been fortunate to fish tournaments on this great lake for over twenty five years. Due to my age I cannot fish tournaments as much as my mind says I can but my body says no but I love the sport and and I do not wish to see the general public turn against it do to bad weighins and dead fish. Why do you think BASS went to live-wells and such. Public outcry that Pro's were ruining their fishery. Weather true or not it was the perception that people saw and complained about. You can check with Ray Scott and I am sure he will verify this. I might add that I have many friends in tournament fishing as can be attested to the parking in my driveway and overnight guests which my Wife and I love to have here.

In my original post I expressed my concerns (admittedly not to well) but with the intent of concern for the fishery and not to see tournament fishing get a bad name. You on the other hand have chosen to make a personal attack on me and call me names without any knowledge or who I am and what my reasoning might be. You have made assumptions and you are dead wrong. As a matter of fact I was considering doing your Wednesday night shootouts but my trap club is shooting on wednesday nights. Again, I apologize for such a long response to the members of the forum, but I could not let a person attack and name calling go unanswered.

With all respect
Dan Stahlman
sTony

Post by sTony »

Oh for cryin' out loud. This is what happened.

The ABA made an agreement last year that Steve Adams would no longer be running tournaments for them at least until the 2007 calendar year was done. They did their permits and used someone else's name on the permit but it turned out Steve was still running the tournament or tournaments. DFG got wind of this and shut the tournament down and took Steve off to DFG jail.

You guys can argue all you want and you can argue that the original offense was blown out of proportion. It doesn't change the facts.The ABA made an agreement with the DFG that this individual would not run tournaments up there this year and he did. End of story.

sTony
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LMB
Top'r

Post by Top'r »

My name is Clay Sutterfield ... I not only competed on Sunday, but had 18.2 for 4 ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!after I blew my lower unit 2 miles after blast off, I would have won, with ALL options, after talking with everyone involved. I've talked in Detail to the DFG warden in charge. It is Cyrstal Clear that the ABA is throwing STEVE ADAMS under the bus. When I called the ABA on Monday am. NO answer. I left a message, Dave Plutnik(sp) ??? retuned my call, I asked for my expence's to be re-imburssed.. travel from Bethel Island on Friday, Motel cost, fuel, food, ice, etc.... All totalled $526.27 for an ILLEGAL event promoted by the ABA. He told me I can just take the ABA to small Claims court, he was going to send out checks for entry fees, and give everyone 10 points for showing up, Thats IT!!!!!!. Is this the response of an innocent man.... NO!!!!!! The Permit was originally in Steve's name, and was whited out, the Schedule has been posted, & APPROVED, on the ABA website for months. The ABA wrote a leter to DFG last year after the tragedy, saying STEVE ADAMS had ben fired. He never was, and NEVER got anything in writing from the ABA. All we have to do is read between the lines. The TRUTH will be forthcoming, My next letter will be to the DFG Commisioneer.
Top'r

Re: Before this gets going in a bad direction...

Post by Top'r »

The tournament was NOT suspended. The permit was Pulled , and their was not a weigh in after the fact of Steve being taken into custody, sited and released. That is only after repeated phone calls from the DFG warden Sunday morning, and she did not get a clear answer either from Dave Plutnik, nor from Craig Sutherlandthis is where the LIES from the ABA only contined from last year. The Original permit was in STEVE ADAMS name, the ABA changed it , with out his knowledge, and told him he was CLEARED to run the tournament. ALL you have to do is call him. He's an Honest caring fisherman, and has no financial gain to lie like the owners of the ABA do.
Top'r

Post by Top'r »

It is not he end of (YOUR) story. STEVE ADAMS WAS NEVER SUSPENDED, NOR FIRED AS WAS STATED IN THE LETTER THE ABA WROTE TO DFG . You really don't have a clue. Feel free to call me or look me up, I'll be happy to inform you of the truth, or If you so desire, Call Steve, at S.& C. Guide Service
Kennyo

Post by Kennyo »

Cali'
It s long but it explains alot
Whats up buddy? I'll try to explain my reasoning as best as possible. I've had a couple of crazy weeks being in the middle of all of this. I truly dont like controversy but somehow ended up dealing with every side of this mess. Here we go.

I was as of last week the VP and tournement director of the Clearlake Bassmasters. I joined this club for the fun of it, thinking how could it get any better. Living on Clearlake fishing for bass most people dream about. By the grace of God I met the most incredible people I ve ever met in my entire life. Mikey T. Sieg T, Jimmy R., Byron V., Johnny R., Jeff B., Travis T. Troy B., Tom Leo., Phil C., Danny H., Ed L., Cameron C., Jeremy T., Billy H., are just a scratch of the 3 to 4 hundred fisherman I've met over the last 3 years which has given me an amazing crowd of awsome people I deal with day in and day out. I can't imagine ever dealing with a greater group of guys than I have right now. I'm still living a dream with a couple jerkoffs waking me up in the middle of the night.

At the end of last year our President John B. ( who I miss dearly ) had some health issues and decided to move closer to his family.
As a result the club decided to elect someone who kwows more about the club than anyone else. Not the best candidate but a quick fix. Well this had to be the worst decision ever made in the history of our club. Approx. one third of the club did not renew thier membership. Since this man has been in position thier have been more problems and lack of support than I can remember. Over the last 8 months this man has caused so many problems with our club and other circuits , its almost unbelievable.

Heres what I know is going on. G B is the biggest trouble maker on this entire lake and has DFG and a couple of locals so far up his *** they actually call him to see whats up on the lake at which he makes sure he lets them know how bad every thing is being ran by everybody except him. He s a know it all pain in the ***! The reason I m doing this is so everyone gets an idea of what s really happening up here. Ninety nine percent of the people around this lake that I deal with are amazing people. I am not a doctor but I can say with confidence GB has serious issues upstairs.

When BASS came here I was like a kid in a candy store. GB made it seem like no big deal at our monthly meeting. He handed out a fax or e-mail from Andrew Sayles which explained how to get involved and that was pretty much it. I got in touch with Andrew over the next few days at which time he explained to me about a conversation he had with GB. Andrew told me GB had major issues with them coming here and treated him like ****. He was insulted and very upset after which he was telling the Pros not to go to the tackle shop at which he worked. Kwowing it wasn t the owners fault I made some phone calls and straightened it out. This is just to give everybody an idea of what kind of person we are dealing with. The tournement was awsome!! I worked backstage for three days with my friends and girlfriend. Every morning I launched all the pros @ Library Park and handed out energy drinks.
Bottom line is that it was an amazing week. No thanks to our President. I despise talking about someone like this but this man has made my life so difficult. I try so hard to keep things as simple as possible and he keeps making life very difficult. I know he has a small following and I would almost bet that whiney Dan guy talks to him. That is not a fact.

Two weeks ago I recieved a phone call from GB asking what I thought about a release boat situation. He explained to me that Angler s Choice had just called him to rent our boat for thier tourney which was in about ten days. We decided to talk about it at our meeting the following week. When the topic came up the club agreed that it was last minute and we were unmanned. This was on a Tuesday night. The following night at our weekly Turkey Shoot I ran into Mark M and Tom Leogrande who immediatly got into the whole release boat situation. They told me that they really needed it and why all of a sudden we couldn t do it. I told them it was last minute and it wasn' possible. They said last minute, what are you crazy, we ve had this reserved for a year. As VP I felt I had to check into what really was going on. The next morning I called GB and told him I felt the club had an obligation to make this work , for the club-the anglers- AC- and especially the fish. He told me if I could put it together- good luck. Five phonecalls later it was all set up. Gee that was difficult. During our conversation he also told me that a release boat was a luxury for Anglers Ch. and the fisherman. His exact words were F'm. This man might have alot of other people brainwashed but this is really when I realized he wanted to make it difficult for everyone involved. And then he threw in " Oh by the way DFG will be there"
Gee, how convenient. Isn't the guy who owns the two new bait shops on the lake running this tournement. Do you think we re stupid!! Holy ****. Politics in fishing. I m sorry, I can t comprehend the bologna thats going on in this man s head. I love to volunteer my time, equip., money for anything having to do with this awsome place where we live. Please don t make difficult.

The next morning I met TB over @ Holder Ford to pick up the release boat. The batteries were dead and the key was missing. I was told by a member SK the day before that the batteries might be dead so that was my fault. No problem- 3 new batteries and the spare key was inside Ford ( wheres the other key GB you prick)

The weigh in went great. Other club members showed up and helped out. Eveyone involved was so appreciative of all the help by the Clearlake Bassmasters. I really felt like I did everything in my power to make it work out .

As we were pulling out to release the first batch of fish a man came running down the dock and jumped on the boat. His name was Loren DFG. I was actually excited to have him with us to pick his brain about certain things we were doing. He said that overall we did a great job. The only thing that I noticed during the whole weigh in that wasn t right was there were too many guys at the big tanks which is why I told him that some fish came in sluggish. And not having any responsibility to Angler s Choice I was still telling everyone slow down.( for the fish s sake )
Bottom line was Loren was a nice Guy doing his job. If they were there for other reasons I didn t know about-so be it. We were there to help. The only thing I didn t understand was why he was hiding in the bushes videotaping things that were going wrong when I thought thier job was to protect the fish, not to see 50 fish die and say GOT YA !! That to me was very unprofessional and adolescent. We re adults Right?

At the second weigh-in we had extra people, so Terry D asked me to run the check in boat. Great. As I was checking the anglers in I was telling them to slow down with bringing the fish to the scales. Not for any other reason than for the fish. When I went in I jumped on the release boat and headed out. Two people jumped on the boat.DFG Lynette and Loren. I was so happy to finally meet Lynette. Heard about her for years. I asked her how d it go? She said good, and why is that Kenny. At first I didn t understand the question but then I realized the fisherman must have slowed down going to the scales and said oh yea I was telling the guys to slow it down to the scale at the checkpoint. At that moment I had a DFG officer in my face telling me (not being nice) I was going to be cited for this 148 crap and that I messed up his investigation and dont talk to a federal officer like that.
I still have alot of New Jersey in me so I pretty much lost it. A screaming match in the middle of Clearlake with alot of witnesses. The bottom line is that Lynette made this officer appoligize to me numerous times for the cursing and accusations which he had no right in any way shape or form to do. This DFG person ruined my entire day after everything I thought I accomplished. I was the last person on this planet to accuse of any wrong doing. If you saw the look in his eyes and the way he was, it was all about the badge. It was a powertrip like no other. DFG Please figure out a way to get along with the tournement people because we care about the fisheries more than 90 percent of the people with licences. We should all be working together. I saw in the paper this morning that the DFG is really cracking down on the tournements. Think about that statement for a second. You are going in the wrong direction. I don t want to get into DFG too much. I know that they care so much about our fisheries and I respect what they deal with every day but they are going at it the wrong way. I can prove it. There is already talk of a 200 boat tournement with no money involved. Five fish limit per person times 2 equals 2000 fish. Everyone meets @ County park for the biggest bass barbecue in the history of Clearlake and all of DFG is invited, and I m not kidding. If bass fisherman are setting this up to prove a point then DFG is doing something wrong.

The next day I went to our club tourney sign up and was accused of stealing our release boat. Thanks again GB. So I Quit the club

I couldn t make this stuff up if I tried

There is usually two sides to a story, not this one. A couple of jerks on the other side of the lake are already trying to cover stuff up and making up these bs stories just to cover thier asses. This is how it went down.

I m sure I ll get positive and negative feedback from this but I really don t have anymore time to deal with this. I'm done. Please don't expect any replies back. I just want to go fishing!!!

By the way, I didn t have much to do with the ABA stuff so I can t answer alot of questions but what I can tell you is Steve A got a bad rap last year. This past weekend should have never happened.
bruizer343

Re: spelling...

Post by bruizer343 »

whats wrong with chasing STRIPPERS.....after along day of STRIPER
PHEESHING....

those girls work hard for tips.

B343
sTony

Post by sTony »

Hey Clay,

All I said is EXACTLY what DFG has told me and that was that they have a letter stating that Steve Adams was no longer running the Clear Lake tournaments. This was also reported in the local paper.

You can have a problem with me all you want cause I can really care less.

No one here is trying to throw Steve under the bus. No one is saying that the ABA wasn't at fault here either. What we are saying and I'll say again, ONE MORE TIME, is that the DFG surely isn't to blame.

Now that's it. Tomorrow I have a tournament to fish. Yeah it's just me and my boat but I think I have a good chance to win, hahaha. Oh man.

sTony [-X
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Kenny,
Wow...thanks for the long reply. Its too bad things worked out the way they did.
There is already talk of a 200 boat tournement with no money involved. Five fish limit per person times 2 equals 2000 fish. Everyone meets @ County park for the biggest bass barbecue in the history of Clearlake and all of DFG is invited, and I m not kidding.
My god, I hope this is just some guys talkin' and blowing smoke. Just thinking about a 2000 bass bbq makes me ill.

also...after reading your reply, I'm starting to get the feeling that you don't care for this G.B. fella... :wink:

good luck on the water,
Kennyo

Post by Kennyo »

Dan

Sorry about some of my comments. I 'm totally convinced that just a couple of people are causing these problems. All this back and forth stuff is not vey productive. I' d love to have a small get together with some of you guys and discuss some of our problems.

The people who have created this mess are probably laughing thier asses off. We really need to figure out a solution. I will be @ the Turkey Shoot tonight and would love to meet some of you guys.
I think we should pull together and enjoy life. Blast off is 5 pm
I will be there @ 4:30 I will wait till 5:30 for some guys who have to work late.

And by the way, everyone who is behind me with our club issues, thank you so much for your support. We might have to start a new club around the lake. We need to start having fun again.

See everyone tonight Drive safe
Phil

Post by Phil »

YES WE ARE HERE AND HAVE BEEN WAITING TO CHIME IN .

WE BELIEVE IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY AT ALL TOURNAMENTS TO HAVE A LIVE RELEASE BOAT PRESENT, LIKE BBAC OR SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO NEEDLE FISH THAT ARE NEEDED OR BETTER YET, PUT THEM INTO NETS/BUCKETS AND RELEASE THEM AT DEEPER DEPTHS TO INSURE THEIR HEALTHY LIVE RELEASE BACK INTO OUR LAKES.............WHAT COULD IT COST, SO YOUR AWARD MONEY WOULD BE SOMEWHAT LESS ........SO ??? YOU WOULD HAVE WAY LESS WAY LESS INJURED FISH ........

THANK YOU
JIGS
Dewayne

Re: KennyO

Post by Dewayne »

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have long known that there are a few locals up there who do everything possible to control bass fishing on the lake and drive tournaments away. The story you told is important and adds a lot of clarity to the situation.

IMHO your club needs to distance themselves from GB and oust him from his position.

Every year CL gets pounded with tournaments. The lake probably has more bass per acre that any other lake I have ever fished. While a few fish may die because of tournaments, history has shown that weather and shad populations are the main drivers of the fishing population on the lake, not tournament mortality. Optimal fish care is a good thing, but why does DFG and a few locals spend so much time on tournament mortality when the lake has been overpopulated with bass for the past 4 years?

The Angler's Choice tournament went pretty well. There was a backup on day one, but day 2 (as you stated) went much better. People who could not tank were dropping the bags into the lake to keep them cool, the bags I saw had enough water, and many like myself had chemicals added. Would have been nice if DFG had been there at the meeting to advice the angler's on fish care. We have seen this in Arizona and Nevada with DFG employees not only monitoring the tournament, but there before a fish goes into a live well to educate.

The fact that some locals are using the DFG as a business tool should be a real embarrassment to the fine people at DFG. I hope you share you perspective with them.

Anyways,
Thanks!
DB
Dewayne
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

sTony,
Sent you a PM. Please read and reply.

Thanks,

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Kennyo wrote:......Over the last 8 months this man has caused so many problems with our club and other circuits , its almost unbelievable....
I'm a club member. I'm in charge of the website. I've missed a few meetings, and don't take part in the tournaments because of my physical disabilty, but I haven't seen or heard any problems created by GB at all. He's abrupt and to the point, but he's got a good heart and has been nothing but helpful to me.
Kennyo wrote:Heres what I know is going on. G B is the biggest trouble maker on this entire lake and has DFG and a couple of locals so far up his *** they actually call him to see whats up on the lake at which he makes sure he lets them know how bad every thing is being ran by everybody except him. He s a know it all pain in the ***! The reason I m doing this is so everyone gets an idea of what s really happening up here. Ninety nine percent of the people around this lake that I deal with are amazing people. I am not a doctor but I can say with confidence GB has serious issues upstairs.
That's all subjective opinion about someone you personally don't get along with. Someone you got along with fine until you got into doodoo. As they say..."Opinions are kind of like rectums - everybody has one."
Kennyo wrote: Two weeks ago I recieved a phone call from GB asking what I thought about a release boat situation. He explained to me that Angler s Choice had just called him to rent our boat for thier tourney which was in about ten days. We decided to talk about it at our meeting the following week. When the topic came up the club agreed that it was last minute and we were unmanned. This was on a Tuesday night.
Important points

1. GB called you in advance
2. The club voted "NO" because there were no trained people around to run the release boat. My wife was enquiring about release boat duty at the last meeting. GB told us both...quoting The release boat isn't something you just jump in and drive off like a car. It steers like a ship, you have to know about chemicals for the fish, circulating the water in the tanks, recharging the system and launching and docking it. There's a lot of other things too. If you're interested, sure we can train you.
3. Anyone not trained in the operation of the release boat should not be operating or be on it as a operater.
4. No-one that is not a member of law inforcement or the ClearLake Bassmasters is covered by insurance.
5. Kenny, have you officially been trained in the use of the realease boat?
Kennyo wrote:The following night at our weekly Turkey Shoot I ran into Mark M and Tom Leogrande who immediatly got into the whole release boat situation. They told me that they really needed it and why all of a sudden we couldn t do it. I told them it was last minute and it wasn' possible. They said , "last minute, what are you crazy, we ve had this reserved for a year."
If it was reserved for a year then that takes GB entirely out of the equation. That falls into the realm of the president and officers before him. There are no notes in our Bassmasters minutes about anyone from this organization contacting us about a release boat.
Kennyo wrote:As VP I felt I had to check into what really was going on. The next morning I called GB and told him I felt the club had an obligation to make this work , for the club-the anglers- AC- and especially the fish. He told me if I could put it together- good luck. Five phone calls later it was all set up. Gee that was difficult.
It sure wasn't as simple as you seemed to think. I understand you were discouraged from doing this, because the club voted NO, and the boat was not prepped. See below
Kennyo wrote:The next morning I met TB over @ Holder Ford to pick up the release boat. The batteries were dead and the key was missing. I was told by a member SK the day before that the batteries might be dead so that was my fault. No problem- 3 new batteries and the spare key was inside Ford ( wheres the other key GB you prick)
You're the VP. Where is it? You should know too. If I was running it, I would have asked, just not assumed.

From what I understand, you were told there was an undercover thing going on while in the boat, You, The DFG and another guy knew it. The DFG and the other guy stayed on the boat. You left the boat to go to the check in boat and the cover was blown. I'll ask you directly, Did you tell anyone that the DFG was there?
Kennyo wrote:The next day I went to our club tourney sign up and was accused of stealing our release boat. Thanks again GB. So I Quit the club
I heard the next day you went to the club tourney and proceeded to rave on about how you told the DFG off and nearly called the officer out. The Clearlake Bassmasters have always had a good relationship with DFG people in trying to maintain a healthy fishery. You might have set that back a few years. When someone displayed displeasure with your antics, I heard you cursed, swore, acted beligerent and quit.
Kennyo wrote:I couldn t make this stuff up if I tried
Of course you could.
Kennyo wrote:There is usually two sides to a story, not this one.
UMMMMM, Okay......
Kennyo wrote: A couple of jerks on the other side of the lake are already trying to cover stuff up and making up these bs stories just to cover thier asses.....
I have no *** to cover... Oh wait, I didn't mean it like that... Anyway, I think there's an ongoing investigation so the Fat Lady hasn't yet sang.
Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Jigs,

I agree with your intentions but I can see where things like this become a slippery slope.

Keeping fish alive during and after tournaments is our primary goal, that in it's self should be "mandatory"
Requiring an organization to use release boats during smaller tournaments will be tough.

However, what if our primary goal could be achieved during these smaller tournaments without the use of a release boat?
All that is needed is education and execution.

The one issue I have not heard discussed on any of these forums is the concern of killing bass during pre-fish or practice, why is that?

I cannot give an accurate percentage of how many more fish are being caught during the practice prior to tournaments, but I can tell you it is by far a higher number.

For all the times I pre-fish the Delta, Clear Lake, Berryessa etc.
And I fish quite a bit, I cannot recall ever seeing dead bass in any significant numbers, maybe one or two here and there but I see the same amount of dead catfish.
So with that said, we seem to be doing an excellent job on conservation.

I am sure someone will spin this to support their own agenda however, bass anglers are the primary reason we have this abundant resource of ours.

It is the proactive effort of thousands of anglers throughout California preserving our future in this sport

With the cooperation of the C.D.F.G, we can work together and free up officers to focus on the reduction of poaching and other illegal activities and protect our state fisheries.

Post by Guest »

Kenny --- I hear you and agree with you. See you in Clear Lake soon... BTW - I will call you when I get back from Mead.

I'd like you to join me in a meeting with DFG as soon as I can set it up!

Tom
bassmeout

Post by bassmeout »

That's the A^&U%%#$#$# that runs that little tackle shop IN LAKE PORT..... I hate that %*^&&^&^& guy....
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Greg,

With all due respect, you just admitted in your post to missing the last few meetings but claim to have all the answers!

As far as Kenny goes, you are barking up the wrong tree my friend.
He has done more to help Clear Lake bass tournaments than anyone I know of period.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Here's another opinion from the local paper. The director might be exhonorated. http://www.record-bee.com/sportsoutdoors/ci_6684547

Post by Guest »

I second Tobe on that.. I have only known Kenny for a short time.. and that guy steps up to the plate over and over for ALL organizations and for the Anglers themselves!

Rather than give Kenny a hard time... you might want to just say THANK YOU!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Tobe wrote:Greg,

With all due respect, you just admitted in your post to missing the last few meetings but claim to have all the answers!

As far as Kenny goes, you are barking up the wrong tree my friend.
He has done more to help Clear Lake bass tournaments than anyone I know of period.
No, I've been at the last few. I said I've missed a few.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TomLeogrande wrote:I second Tobe on that.. I have only known Kenny for a short time.. and that guy steps up to the plate over and over for ALL organizations and for the Anglers themselves!

Rather than give Kenny a hard time... you might want to just say THANK YOU!
Thank you Kenny. But GB has done just as much ifr not more so thank you GB too.

Post by Guest »

Greg --- You might want to talk to GB about some of the things he's done lately if you truly believe that! I know I plan on Talking with him real soon!
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Dan, Terry and George I would like to know what you guys are getting out of all this?
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I've always gotten along with Kenny and was glad to see him take over as tourney director. He along with me and others is a doer. Someone who backs up words with actions, I respect that. So are GB and others that volunteer for positions so that the "Sorry I don't have time to help"ers can sit on their butts and enjoy themselves.

However, he screwed up and publicly acuses someone else for his screw up when he should have simply apologized and shut up. If someone attacked Kenny to cover his own mistakes, I'd defend Kenny. I find it difficult to let subjective character assasinations go by.

Post by Guest »

Kenny did not screw up... Kenny did what was best for the Angler's and the Fish... GB did what was best for the tackle store he works for and his own ego!!!!

When it comes to the DFG and telling anglers they were there.. well, I was one of the anglers and I have spoken with 20 or so different anglers and not 1 remembers him saying the DFG is here.. All he said was Take it easy at the tubs ---- Only 4 anglers at the tubs! PERIOD nothing else.

Please tell me where Kenny went wrong? I was there... He did what was best for Clear Lake as a fishing resource and the Anglers in the event. Did he not? Do you deny that? Danny Peluso talked with whoever was in charge of the boat at last years event about this years triple weigh in. Then they called again 10 Days before the event to make sure it was all still lined up. There are 100's of guys on this site that will vouch for Danny Peluso being a 100% straight up guy... Say what you want... but, Kenny stepped up and did the right thing... unlike GB

You have a problem with that? I'll be in Clear Lake next week and we can set up a meeting so we can have a talk as well...

Feel free to PM me to set up a time and place to meet if that's the route you want to take. I am fed up with this absolute crap and GB did more to give tournament bass fishing a black eye in the last 3 weeks than almost anyone in the history of the sport.... (besides cheaters he's #1 on the list)!

I didn't plan on bringing his name up... as both my past posts in this topic and people who Pm'd me and asked for his name can attest to... but, when you start defending this BAFOOOON I have to step up and tell you that way it REALLY is!

My name is right in the post... I stand behind everything I have ever said or posted on this thing and I have no problem saying it to whoever wants to hear it.... in person or not!! As I said I will be in Clear Lake and I WILL meet with George to talk to him about the recent action I have dozens of people accusing him of. I just want to make sure that this crap comes to an end and we can all keep Clear Lake the bass fishing heaven that it is.... and if I have to be the one to step up and call out the problems and solve them I will. I am sure George and I will come to some resolution so things can go back to the way they were... WHICH IS -

- Angler's and organizations taking care of the fish
- Angler's and organizations taking care of the Lake
- Angler's and organizations obiding by the rules as closely as possible
- Angler's, organizations and the DFG working together to take care of the fishery
- Angler's taking care of the other Angler's
- Organizations and business' working as much together as competively possible to give the anglers and the Clear Lake community what they deserve.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

P.S. - My apologies to all of you who have to read this crap but, enough is enough!!

By the way - I'm in a real mood right now... 120 degree heat, 1 pound fish and too much work to do to actually get any sleep.. So I am off... Feel free to slam me if you wish.. But, I am going to get some food, stop by BPS Las Vegas and then get some work done. Any PM's or comments that need my attention will be handled on Sunday! Have a great weekend everyone... and please get off the computer and go catch some BIG bass --- god knows I won't get any big ones out here on Mead!!
bassmeout

Post by bassmeout »

GB = George Bates
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

A much respected and well-liked man owns the “little tackle shop" mentioned.

I can assure everyone he has nothing to do with all of this crap and we should continue to support his business.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TomLeogrande wrote:P.S. - My apologies to all of you who have to read this crap but, enough is enough!!

By the way - I'm in a real mood right now... 120 degree heat, 1 pound fish and too much work to do to actually get any sleep.. So I am off... Feel free to slam me if you wish.. But, I am going to get some food, stop by BPS Las Vegas and then get some work done. Any PM's or comments that need my attention will be handled on Sunday! Have a great weekend everyone... and please get off the computer and go catch some BIG bass --- god knows I won't get any big ones out here on Mead!!
I have no idea who you are.But I know I've never seen you at any bassmaster meetings. I think in the future when the bass club votes no, on something, it'll mean no. This whole uproar could have been avoided if the groups decision to not use the release boat had been adhered to. Your gripe would then lie with the membership.

Post by Guest »

Well.. as I said - if you want to know who I am... I will gladly meet with you anytime.

I guess that makes you about as good as GB... because GB created the NO vote based on his biases and a NO vote was NOT the best thing for Clear Lake or the Anglers... and isn't that what its all about? I guess not.. its more about GB, his ego, the tackle shop he works for... and you sticking your *** on the line for him. It's all good...

By the way - you keep forgetting this thing was setup for almost a full year!!!! and 10 days is not LAST MINUTE... even if that was the first contact (which it WAS NOT!!! ).

Thanks again Kenny - doing the right thing in opposition to these two guys had to be hard for you, but it shows the kind of guy you are!

P.S. By the way - this is the first time in 5 years that your club has had a vote on whether or not to use the release boat. GB was trying to cover his rear and it didn't work!

This makes 2 guys in the same class in your club.. Nice club. Where can I sign up?

Great website by the way... Do you give HTML classes?
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TomLeogrande wrote:Danny Peluso talked with whoever was in charge of the boat at last years event about this years triple weigh in. Then they called again 10 Days before the event to make sure it was all still lined up. There are 100's of guys on this site that will vouch for Danny Peluso being a 100% straight up guy...

I think "the guy at the release boat" should have referred you to one of the officials involving the clubs release boat. I think there's a handout he probably got at the boat with a proper phone number to call. I'm not speaking for the club, however if I wanted to rent the release boat I would probably make sure I contacted the owners more than 10 days in advance. If he talked to some guy at a release boat a year in advance, I'm guessing its a difficult place for a guy to try to remember things or jot them down. Anyone needing it in the future, it states on our website to contact us 60 days in advance and gives you proper numbers to call. It will be brought up and planning will get underway for the next meeting. It your slot is already being used by another club you will be notified.

TomLeogrande wrote:I am fed up with this absolute crap and GB did more to give tournament bass fishing a black eye in the last 3 weeks than almost anyone in the history of the sport.... (besides cheaters he's #1 on the list)!
LOL you need a vacation dude! Going all out huh? GB brought your proposal before the club, that's all. I don't think he's the complete source of life's displeasures quite yet. :-D
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TomLeogrande wrote:Well.. as I said - if you want to know who I am... I will gladly meet with you anytime.
You'd love me if you met me ;)
TomLeogrande wrote:I guess that makes you about as good as GB... because GB created the NO vote based on his biases and a NO vote was NOT the best thing for Clear Lake or the Anglers... and isn't that what its all about? I guess not.. its more about GB, his ego, the tackle shop he works for... and you sticking your *** on the line for him. It's all good...
Not enough people stick up for their friends. Kenny's a good guy. He just P'O'ed me by raking a guy over the coals publicly. Either George or Kenny can fish in my boat anytime.
TomLeogrande wrote:Thanks again Kenny - doing the right thing in opposition to these two guys had to be hard for you, but it shows the kind of guy you are!
The club voted no. I'm just a club member.
TomLeogrande wrote:P.S. By the way - this is the first time in 5 years that your club has had a vote on whether or not to use the release boat. GB was trying to cover his rear and it didn't work!
GB was not even in the equation as I stated before. If it was a year ago, GB was just a member, not president. No one associated with the release boat has any recall of anyone asking about your event. Now while that might be an over-sight on behalf of the club, its certainly not GB's fault since he was not the President then or in charge of the release boat. What you guys are trying to do is vilify him because of a personal vendetta. So, GB doesn't even have to cover his ***. He only needs to tell what happened. He heard about it 10 days in advance. He brought it before the club. The guys who run the release boat were out of town the other guys who know how to run it were fishing tournaments. The membership didn't have to be rocket scientists to figure out a "no" vote was best.

Kenny decided the club didn't know what was best.

TomLeogrande wrote:Great website by the way... Do you give HTML classes?
I haven't even figured out how I did it yet. ;)
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Its hard to imply a tone of voice in the typed word here, but please read my comments below with the understanding that none of this really matters to me and I don't have an axe to grind one way or the other -- but reading thru it does raise some questions that I wonder about and have not seen directly addressed:

there isn't enough time in 10 days prior to an event to train someone in operating the release boat to keep the commitment that someone in the bassmasters group made previously?

why does CL bassmasters not have any trained boat operator members?

wasn't the release boat given to the bassmasters group by the ABA? (was stated in newspaper article) - if so shouldn't there be some good faith effort to support ABA when they come to town? without knowing all the facts its hard not to view CL Bassmasters as lazy or uncaring and unsupportive of others.
To ABA's credit, the organization has run good bass tournaments at Clear Lake. In fact, it was ABA that donated the release barge that the Clear Lake Bassmasters use in major tournaments.
why is the boat not being maintained? (dead batteries)

even if something happened to the boat while it was in use shouldn't the insurance have covered it? regardless of operator training? in the end is operating the release boat really rocket science?

is this really about the release boat, or is the issue really how the event shook out at the end with the interaction between anglers, ABA, and DFG?

was there some reason that DFG needed to allow the event to complete prior to confronting the organizers? my read of the accounts here show that DFG was informed well before the event date that there was a discrepancy in the permit.

it seems from reading all the accounts that 1) if DFG knew that the permit for the event was invalid/violated based on the ABA mgmt staff in charge, and 2) if DFG is supposed to be protecting resources, such as the fish caught, why all the need for spying and allowing the event to complete while the fish were not being protected?

what liability does DFG carry for knowingly allowing what they considered an illegal event to proceed?

why did DFG not contact ABA to sort the deal out re:permits and mgmt *before* lots of anglers who live out of the area expended their own cash to travel to the area?

why allow all those fish to be caught and potentially injured, damaged, or killed for an illegal event? seems like this could have been prevented.

did ABA really inform the TD that it was ok for him to proceed and run the event?

why the need for DFG to be so secretive, hiding in the bushes and videotaping -- what was gained in the end? was the gain in allowing the event to complete prior to addressing the violations greater than the damage to the resources that they are chartered to protect - could/should the damage have been prevented?

is this how DFG will be interacting with tournaments from now on? if so, what is to be gained via this new protocol?

I'm left to wonder...
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

Club Intro.

The Clearlake Bassmasters club was formed in 1972 to improve our skill as bass anglers through a fellowship of friendly competition and the exchange of expert bass catching techniques; to stimulate public awareness of bass fishing as a major sport; to offer our Fish and Game Department organized, moral and political support; to promote full adherence to all conservation codes, and to function as a dynamic and effective link with other bass clubs embracing the principles of good fellowship and sportsmanship.

Clearlake Bassmasters Release Boat
Notice ABA Decal

The Clearlake Bassmasters of Lake County are dedicated to the protection and enhancement of black bass fisheries on Clear Lake, to this end the club owns and operates an 8 ft. X 32 ft. release boat. The rental and operation of this boat will help insure the healthy release of tournament fish caught and demonstrate your support for good sportsmanship, good public relations and the catch and release ethic.
The Bassmaster's operate the release boat as a public service, we have no employees, no profit margins, no overhead and a modern, first rate release boat. We endeavor to provide a complete service with pickup, delivery and operation by experienced, dedicated volunteers.
Please feel free to contact any professional bass fishing organization or the department of fish and game to verify our excellent track record. We have operated the release boat since the year 2001. All release boat fees are use solely for the operation and maintenance of the release boat or environmental or fisheries related projects. The 2004 refurbishment of the release boat cost over $4,000 completely paid for by by release boat fees and funds from our Bass Derby held each October.
Please consider our services for your release boat needs. It is equipped with four bottom drop tanks. Each tank is aerated, oxygenated, and has a recalculation system. Operation includes "Catch and Release Formula" The rental includes two or more experienced trained Bassmasters to operate the release boat. Full insurance is provided for the release boat. No transportation charges are required as the boat is only used on Clear Lake. All crews are trained in swim bladder deflation.
RENTAL
$200 per day
1st come 1st serve basis
PLEASE CALL AT LEAST 60 DAYS IN ADVANCE!
For additional consideration our release boat can be used as a starting boat or a check in boat etc. Check with us, we will try to support your needs. The rental also include the use of two eighty gallon holding tanks upon request.
We believe we offer the most economical, most complete and most flexible release boat service available on Clear Lake.
TRY US FIRST!
For further information or reservations please contact: George Hill at (707) 279-1011 or George Bates at (707) 272-2868.
Remember: "Limit Your Kill, Don't Kill Your Limit.

Greg quit holding Bass by their Gills
LMB
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

I must say that I've not read all the posts on this thread. However, here's short article from the Lake County Record-Bee on this subject that explained it pretty clearly.
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

MikeD wrote:There isn't enough time in 10 days prior to an event to train someone in operating the release boat to keep the commitment that someone in the bassmasters group made previously? Why does CL bassmasters not have any trained boat operator members?
Great questions Mike. The Clearlake Bassmasters membership ranges between 20 to 60 members depending on the year, the economy and other factors. Even our own club tourney only had 12 participants the first day and 8 the next day this August. I addressed the time of notification earlier, however I'll reiterate it. No-one, absolutely no-one we've checked with recalls hearing anything about a request prior to the ten day verification request for from the group. Out of twenty members there are a few steadfast and trusty volunteers who man the boat consistently. Even with this small group, we manage to supply nearly every tournament request even though there are sometimes more than 1 tournament a week. There are some people who either just can't are won't fit the release boat into their schedule. If we made it mandatory to run it to be a club member, our membership would drop further. Unfortunately its that way in all non profit groups. I have belonged to many and have found that there are those who talk and those who do stuff. There is no getting around that. We have other qualified people, however due to what we considered to short of notice, the other qualified people were fishing or had comittments.
Wasn't the release boat given to the bassmasters group by the ABA? (was stated in newspaper article) - if so shouldn't there be some good faith effort to support ABA when they come to town? without knowing all the facts its hard not to view CL Bassmasters as lazy or uncaring and unsupportive of others.
I'm not sure, please correct me, but I think this was a Angler's choice tournament where the trouble arose. The ABA tournament was cancelled due to a TD conflict. As I've stated before, this I think was the first scheduling conflict.
Why is the boat not being maintained? (dead batteries)
The Local Ford dealership is kind enough to house our boat for us. We can't just plug it in and leave it plugged in at their dealership. In the past when we had a request, the people running the boat for a specific tournament always made sure the boat was ready. I suppose we can suggest to the club this idea gets a revisit if its necessary.
Even if something happened to the boat while it was in use shouldn't the insurance have covered it? Regardless of operator training? In the end is operating the release boat really rocket science?
Insurance is very stringent for non profits. For instance when you get volunteer insurance, volunteers aren't covered if they do any construction. So when we had to remodel our house for another non profit recently, we couldn't do any demolition or partial construction ourselves to save money. The insurance states, only Clearlake Bassmaster club members are covered, as I understand it.

Running the boat of course is not rocket science but yes you do need to be trained in its use. They was definitely a learning curve, jumping from a small boat to my poontoon boat. They don't repond well even with my little pontoon. The release boat weighs a few ton when the tanks are full. The darn thing is about 32 feet long. I have no clue how to fill the tanks or maintain them as well as many other functions the boat has. You need training to be qualified.
is this really about the release boat, or is the issue really how the event shook out at the end with the interaction between anglers, ABA, and DFG?
I think its only the latter, however someone's name got pulled through the mud in the process, and the release boat was brought into the fray.
was there some reason that DFG needed to allow the event to complete prior to confronting the organizers? my read of the accounts here show that DFG was informed well before the event date that there was a discrepancy in the permit.

it seems from reading all the accounts that 1) if DFG knew that the permit for the event was invalid/violated based on the ABA mgmt staff in charge, and 2) if DFG is supposed to be protecting resources, such as the fish caught, why all the need for spying and allowing the event to complete while the fish were not being protected?

what liability does DFG carry for knowingly allowing what they considered an illegal event to proceed?

why did DFG not contact ABA to sort the deal out re:permits and mgmt *before* lots of anglers who live out of the area expended their own cash to travel to the area?
My brother was a game warden in Minnesota, and I know he never warned anyone they were about to break the law. He just arrested them after they broke the law. But you'd need to contact the CDFG about that question. I do know that anglers are a lot more aware of the law than they were a week ago.
why allow all those fish to be caught and potentially injured, damaged, or killed for an illegal event? seems like this could have been prevented.

did ABA really inform the TD that it was ok for him to proceed and run the event?

why the need for DFG to be so secretive, hiding in the bushes and videotaping -- what was gained in the end? was the gain in allowing the event to complete prior to addressing the violations greater than the damage to the resources that they are chartered to protect - could/should the damage have been prevented?

is this how DFG will be interacting with tournaments from now on? if so, what is to be gained via this new protocol?

I'm left to wonder...
Me too.
Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

upriverLMB wrote:Greg quit holding Bass by their Gills
LOL I didn't. My hands are paralyzed and I'm tired of my buddies getting to hold up my big fish so I'm not in the photo with them. So I wenched my thumb into the corner below his gill for the photo.

Here's what usually happens with my bass. My buddy gets to hold it. This was 24 1/2 inches and I caught one 3 inches longer a year later. Of course most of the bass I catch are to heavy for a normal human to lift. :wink:

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TomLeogrande wrote: When it comes to the DFG and telling anglers they were there.. well, I was one of the anglers and I have spoken with 20 or so different anglers and not 1 remembers him saying the DFG is here.. All he said was Take it easy at the tubs ---- Only 4 anglers at the tubs! PERIOD nothing else.
Great! I'm glad to hear that. If Kenny was doing his job and just slowing things down then maybe one of the DFG guys got P'O'ed that he wasn't getting his bust OR he thought Kenny tipped them off.

At some events I have seen quite a line of anglers with bags in the hands waiting to long. I think that might be why they were there. Then Kenny did the right thing.

However at MOST of the weigh-ins I've been too the anglers are spread out with only 2 or three pairs up there and they have plenty of water in the bags. I'm impressed by most weigh-ins. Everyone just needs to be conscious of this.
john blair

Post by john blair »

Greg; i think you have said more than you need to about kenny, i know for a fact what happens with george at times, no one in the club has had any training except by going out as a volunteer and learning as we all have with the release boat. this boat was donated to the club from aba and the club has spent money to rebuild it over the last two years.

i have known kenny for about three years now and i know he would not lie about this whole deal. if you have any more to say about it then feel free to call me at 408-445-8443 and i would be happy to discuss this matter. john blair
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

By the way Greg welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, you know with your hands and the chair. I do though project great things for you, maybe 500 posts by the end of the year, hell make it 1000 since people don’t answer your posts on the Clearlake Bassmasters forum DON’T QUOTE ME ON THAT! Chef did join in once. Just kiddin man, it’s all good. Anyway keep all four wheels down and more importantly keep um dry.

Pease lock this now!

ImageImageImageImage
LMB
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

John, not once have I accused Kenny of lying. I know what you are saying about the boat, but you need to go out on it a time or two to understand it no doubt. It's nothing you jump on untrained and go with is it?

No need to lock the thread. I'm done. I talked to mutual friend of ours. Whatever Kenny did I realize he was trying to help and had the best intentions. Good intentions count a lot.
Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.