night fishing lures

tim mc nicholas

night fishing lures

Post by tim mc nicholas »

I was wondering what all you nutcases like to fish at night. tim :D
Greg_Cornish

Re: night fishing lures

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I do some night fishing. I'd try 6" Senkos or drop shot or texas rig 10" worms if you want the bigguns that fish at night.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Ive got two words. WAKE BAIT!! I would say get the 9 inch M.S. Slammer or the 9 inch A.C. Optimum Plug and if you feel like dishin out the money go for a Wake Jr. or even the full Wake Bait from 3:16. I dont do night fishin but that is what I would do if I were expecially on these nice calm summer nights that we have been haveing!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Generally speaking, bigger baits are better..Noisey baits are better..Darker colored baits are generally better..Now that being said, just about anything you normally use for daytime fishing will work..Perhaps not as well as it would in daylight, but they can and do work..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

What lake are you fishing?

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Black jigs with big trailers, 10" plastic worms, and try a big black slammer. thats what i have heard works well. I an 8 on a black and blue jig a couple weeks ago.

Elliott
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Jason C. wrote:Ive got two words. WAKE BAIT!!
Oh Ya! I've seen them in actiuon at dusk, but haven't seen them awaken to many after dark, but they'll probably work. I tried the SlamMer Rat the otrher day and couldn't raise anything but I've got a 7 inch Slammer and an X2 Slammer oin order.[/list]
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

big profile 1/2 oz black n' blue jig with rattles and a double wide mein vein beaver for a trailer or a variety of topwater and swimbaits in dark colors.
HiroshimaCustoms.com
ripdlip

Post by ripdlip »

I second the wake bait. Make sure you keep throwing and dont give up. You may go two hours of nothing and then bam! MS SLAMMER has a bait that is painted white on top and black on bottom, helps you see the bait on top and easier for the fish to see the bait looking up. But also the 3:16 wake bait and even the Spro BBZ floater makes some good noise. Hope this helps.
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

10 inch Berkeley Power Worm in Junebug TR. Brush Hog in Junebug TR. 6 inch Senko in 927 But my ol time favorite that goes back to the 1950's....A big ol black Jitterbug pulled slowly against the tule and grass edges.

One note. The first hour after dark has usually been slow for me but picks up as the night wears on. If you have a full moon, fish the shadows just like you would in the day time.

The previous poster had an excellent point. You have to be able to see your bait as well as the fish. the white on top and black on bottom works well on your surface lures. Plus black lights and fl line.
Oldlures
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I can't use a bait caster because of my hands. I can't use mono on spinning reels because of tangle. Heavy enough line doesn't cast well in Spincast closed face reels. So... when I try to use the stren mono with black lights I run into problems. The FL dyes are expensive. Any solutions?
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

since you are at a big disadvantage, I would suggest going on ebay and trying to locate one of the large size Zebco closed face reels they made for years. Then, see about loading it with power pro 30 #. Check with Fishermans warehouse about using the braid, but I would consider it.. When you go out, be sure you have more than one rod in case of a backlash that you can't pick out in the dark. I actually used white dacron line on an old style level wind reel and a 6 foot glass baitcast rod for night fishing and did really well in my youth. If you wear a small head lamp on your hat, it will light up the white line for you.

The large capacity spinning reels they are making now are designed for braid. Just be sure you close the bail after each cast by clicking it with your hand. Do not turn the reel handle to close the bail as it will through a loop on the spool and cause a mess later on.

If you want more help, email me at bwats@softcom.net and I will do what I can to see you find something that suits your issues.

There are a ton of great resources on Western Bass and I am sure you will have a lot of help. A man needs to fish.
Oldlures
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I can use braid fine on a spinning reel but it doesn't reflect under black light.
eddremax

Post by eddremax »

chartuse fireline glows
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Really? FAR TOO EASY!
nipples

Post by nipples »

Greg_Cornish wrote:I can't use a bait caster because of my hands. I can't use mono on spinning reels because of tangle. Heavy enough line doesn't cast well in Spincast closed face reels. So... when I try to use the stren mono with black lights I run into problems. The FL dyes are expensive. Any solutions?

Berkley Trilene "FLUORESCENT CLEAR BLUE"

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_100-10-1

Walmart carries it, K-Mart carries it, almost every tackle store in the world carries it...

It is extremely castable and cheep. The stuff light up under blacklight like you wouldn't believe. 8lb test looks like rope, even with a weak, low voltage blacklight.

As far as baits to use... I have done a ton of night fishing for bass and their eyesight at night is incredible. Don't buy into the BS myth-hype that you have to use big dark colored lures at night. I have found nights where they prefer a morning dawn 4 inch magic worm and then nights when they prefer a 4 inch light worm with a little sparkle... Heck, you can drop shot or put on a dart head, cast at the bank, let it sink down to the bottom and slow reel, you will catch bass after bass. So use anything and everything you would during the day, the only thing I can't stress enough is be extremely quiet, and be extremely safe. Other than that, go have a blast and beat the heat, night fishing rocks.
Do it like no one is watching...
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

I used ta do quite a bit of night fishing and I'd recommend the same as most already have: 10" power worm, jigs w big curly tail trailers, brush hogs or any other big plastic creature bait. I'm suprised nobody mentioned a big single bladed spinner bait, I used to catch a lot of solid fish on top of rock piles a Clear Lake slow rolling a 1oz bait w a magnum sized #7 or larger blade. Big wide wobbling cranks in dark colors work well too.. 30 lb flame green fireline is the way to go for line most of the time..
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

No Hank Parker blade stuff BDBR LOL! As you can see Tim Just about anything used in day fishing works at night. You can get away with bigger line and bigger lures a lot more. Not always is dark colors best. You don't have to fish slow ether. Not always is a Big lure best (did I say that?). I have had nights where the baby hog out did the big hog for good fish.
Let the fish tell you what they want (not us saying what we like) they can and will hit just about anything. My bait of choice for nights is a big Hog or big Lizard but who knows what I will catch them on when I go night fishing. Maybe a DD22

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/