Am I missing something...

sTony

Am I missing something...

Post by sTony »

Okay I don't know whether to feel ripped off or not but for some reason I do. Here's the deal. I sold my boat in March 2005. Today I received a letter from Contra Costa County telling me that I have to pay taxes on the boat for the fiscal year 2005-2006, which is July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2006. They highlighted an area on the bill stating that I had ownership on lien date January 1, 2005. My question is if the taxes are clearly for a period that I no longer have onwership, why in the heck would I be obligated to pay this tax bill?

sTony
Scott V.

Same thing....

Post by Scott V. »

Same thing happened to me. Ownership date is not the same as the tax period. Seems like a rip off but think of it this way....if you bought it used, someone else paid the taxes the first year you owned it, not you.

Scott V.
Ken C.

Appeal It!

Post by Ken C. »

Call the Tax Assesor's office and file an appeal. It may work. BTW - Didja get the new boat yet?
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Steve

Same thing happened to me, sorta

Post by Steve »

When I moved from Humboldt Co. to Sacramento Co., I got a tax bill from Humboldt Co. saying I owed them a tax on my boat for a period of time AFTER I moved from Humboldt Co. I called them and they couldnt, in laymens terms, explain why I should pay a tax on a boat for a time period that the boat was not present in that county. I asked soooooo many questions, but still they couldnt explain it in a way that made sense. I flat out told them I wasnt paying the tax.

Well, after a month of thinking about it, thinking about the potential repercussions, I decided to let go of what was right and what was wrong, and I just paid the dern thing. It didnt make sense to me then, and it still doesnt, but sometimes you just cant win. And I lost. Oh well, at least I still have my boat.

Sometimes I feel like a salmon, always swimming against the current.