For all the Lucky Craft experts out there

mac (Doyle McEwen)

For all the Lucky Craft experts out there

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Can anyone explain the differences in the Pointers, Staysees and Bevy Shads..When and where is the best time to use one over the other in general..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
rmbumpus

Re: For all the Lucky Craft experts out there

Post by rmbumpus »

I've used the pointer and the stacee a whole lot. I don't use the Bevy shad or know anyone who does. They are jerkbaits and can catch fish year round. My favorite by far is the stacee at Clear Lake in the winter in the deeper areas. I fish it on a Loomis CBR 843 12 pound mono on a 6.3:1 reel. Jerk, Jerk Jerk, pause type cadence. These baits are fish catchers and worth every penny. You only need two colors (in my opinion) chartruse shad and ghost minnow.
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

I throw all the mentioned Ripbaits. The Bevy is a great bait when you are targeting smaller baitfish. I use it mainly on clear lakes or high preassured lakes. Fish it the same as a stacie! But yes the Satcie is my #1 bait. Mix up your jerks and pauses. Try not jerking it and do loooong rips(pivoting at the torso)...I dont do this paticular technique with a pointer though. Just hasnt produced as well as with the deep divers. Hope that helps!
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
Triton Mike

Post by Triton Mike »

Mac Mac Mac, Here are the differences. The Staysee dives 8ft give or take. The Pointer is a 4-6ft diver. The Bevy is a 8ft diver. However the cool thing about the bevy shad is not only it's small profile but how fast it gets down to it's desired depth. Great bait when you have a short deep strike zone say around docks or parrallel to bluff walls. When you need something to get down deep quick the bevy is your bait. The Staysee to me and Dobyns might argue against me the Staysee is best for me in winter and early spring when the fish are still on the deep side. Great deadstick bait. The pointer is an all around good jerkbait.

One sleeper tho. Flashminnow 95Mr and 110. I like these 2 better than the Pointers. One reason is the 95MR has #4 hooks and it still has a great action. The Flasminnow 100 is probably the most erratic jerkbait in Lucky Crafts lineup. Love the fact that it has THREE sets of trebles. More is good.

Mike
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Thanks Mike, as they are all jerk/rip baits I knew there had to be a reason for the three variaties..But aren't all of them made with various diving depths..I could be wrong and probably am, but I swear I have seen deep diving pointers..

mac
tunaeater

Post by tunaeater »

The 78 and 100 come in deep diving...some what recently
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

I have caught bigger smallmouth on a Bevy shad over all the others, but when the fish are just taking the tails on the grubs, then it is time to take out the stayse, and do the long sweeps, and let it sit. Those same fish that were nibbling the tails off the grubs just smash the stayse. Awesome baits....
Tight Lines,
schreech
Triton Mike

Post by Triton Mike »

Mac, You are kinda correct. The pointer has a DD (Deep diving series). Pointer 78 and 100 come in DD. The Staysee is only one depth as is the Bevy. However, They do come in different lenghts. Most don't know but there is a Staysee 120 out there mostly on ebay.

The bill on the DD and the Staysee is EXACTLY the same to my eyes. The only difference is the profile of the 2 baits. The action is kinda different but man it's tough to decipher the 2. Me personally I like the Staysee better but thats more phsychological than anything.

Mike
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

the bevy shads and staysees come in all different sizes, many of which are not sold by lc usa.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Thanks everyone for your responses..Last year was my first year of really trying the various rip/jerk baits..Even though I haven't had the success some of you seem to have had, I really do like both the Pointer and the Staysee..I have some Bevy Shads, but haven't used them as much..Also got a couple of R2S jerks, they are less expensive, but seem to work just as well as the LC's..The colors available for all of them is unbelievable..I can't say right now that one color really works better than any otner, besides I really don't think color is all that important as compared to when, where and how you use them..

mac
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

I have to agree with most of the points mentioned above... except you have got to try the Slender Pointer 97 and 112. For me, these are the go-to jerkbaits for 3-6' deep and cast better than the normal pointers. They have a slightly more narrow wobble and thinner profile, but run deeper than the flashminnow. All around, I think they are an improved design over the regular Pointe. They are great for when you need a little more finesse. For smallies, I usually start with these and then go to either a Staysee 90 or Pointer 78. Aurora Black and Tennessee Shad are great colors. Add a feather tail for more hookups in cold water.

SF