Smell vs. taste ...and MegaStrike

RogerB

Smell vs. taste ...and MegaStrike

Post by RogerB »

My son has been experiencing some interesting hits on Sweet Beavers scented with MegaStrike. He has previously used Bang, Berkley Power Scent, and Kick-N-Bass without getting this reaction from the bass and he’s previously been very successful in hooking fish that have struck on lures scented with those other scents.

In the last two days, John got over 40 hits on the Sweet Beavers (in Watermelon with Red Flake or Green Pumpkin colors, T-rigged), but was only able to connect with four fish. His impression is that the fish seemed to be extremely attracted to the scent of the MegaStrike, and hit it hard, but as soon as they had it in their mouth, they seemed to eject it every bit as quickly, as if they were really repelled by the taste. This led to his dismal hook-up rate (and, yes, he was using a sharp hook).
This is entirely plausible since bass have different sensory systems for smell (which they use to find their prey) and taste (which they use for final confirmation that what they’ve taken in their mouth is OK to eat.)
Has anyone else had similar experience with Megastrike? …or with any other of the commonly-used scents?
Last edited by RogerB on Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB
Andy Giannini

scent/taste

Post by Andy Giannini »

I don't think the fish were striking out of scent and then not liking the taste and spitting. I don't think the fish hit so much on scent vs. action, or the way the baits move. Color might be third, bait retention can be related to texture or flavor. Fish strike lures based on attractive qualities, and triggering qualities, and I just don't think scent is one of them. Scent can be real big on the other fish IMHO like catfish for example. A Bass just isn't going to smell a Power Worm cast out in the middle of the river and swim over there to bite it. The bait needs to be where the fish can see it, or feel it to get that fish to go.

Something was going on due to so many hits and only a few hookups, but I doubt they liked the scent, bit it, disliked the flavor and spit. Just because, I don't think they hit it on scent. Not liking the flavor, is really the second half of the two part question. :D

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Zak Elrite

Yup . . .

Post by Zak Elrite »

that mega stuff doesn't work very well. That BANG stuff and the Yum is easier to apply and it works. Just toss out that tube of mega or even better send it to me and I'll toss it out for ya.
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
swimbait

Re: Smell vs. taste ...and MegaStrike

Post by swimbait »

I'm a big fan of megastrike. It stays on the bait forever and lubricates it really well.

It seems like I've had much better response with the regular megastrike vs. the crawdad one (yamamoto branded). The crawdad one just doesn't seem to get bit the same.

hooking 1 in 10 bites on any lure is obscene. If you rubbed the bait with sunscreen and gasoline I still don't think you'd miss 90%. Hookset timing and strenth, line, hook, drag setting, those are the things I would be focusing on. Another thought is this ... are there any bluegill where you are fishing? Bluegill, I have noticed, get very excited about megastrike. Maybe they are smelling it and coming over and tapping the bait. Just a thought.
RogerB

Obscene hook-up rate is right, that's why...

Post by RogerB »

I'm asking. The only variable in this case is the MegaStrike scent (and it's not the Crawfish version). My's son's tackle and ability to respond to strikes are the same as he's been having success with up 'til using the MegaStrike scent.
Yes, Swimbait, there are bluegill present in this lake. That could very well be the cause. I wasn't aware that they are attracted to the Megastrike scent more than the other scents. However, the hard hits my son experienced seemed much more "weighty" than one would expect from a bluegill's pecking at a lure.
And, Andy G., our experience has been that the scents (especially Bang and Berkley Power Scent) do make a difference in number of strikes and size of fish caught, when using soft plastics (Senko's, plastic worms, creature baits) and jigs with trailers. That's why we finally wanted to try out the Megastrike, which seems to be a popular scent these days.
...RogerB
Andy Giannini

Another idea

Post by Andy Giannini »

Had something happen like that before. Fishing a flip jig dragged on the mud bottom. Lots of bites, and misses. Tried to let them eat the bait, didn't work either. Decided to slowly reel back, super slow on the the next bite. I could feel something on there, and as the jig came closer to the surface the bait began to spin...it was a crawdad trying to make off with the jig! Did not realize the bottom was covered with crawdads, and they were real competitive fighting each other for eats. My crawdad pumped his tail real hard, still trying to get away with the bait and those were the "bites" I was setting on. It was the perfect tick or thump type bite that had a good line jump, and you could see the line moving off! I should have recognized the clean cuts on my crawdad plastic trailer as pincer cuts. What kind of marks were on those beavers? Big Bass teethmarks? Little fine teethmarks?

A.G.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

The only problem I have with Mega Strike is keeping the bass from swallowing the bait completely.
I've never had a problem with deep hooked fish until I started using mega strike.
I know without a doubt it wasn't the Mega Strike.

I've read but I am not convinced that when a bass goes after a crawdad that they try and crush it with their mouth then spit it out. Then they go back and eat it.
Maybe that was actually happening to your Son and he was setting the hook after they spit it out.
RogerB

A.G., you may be...

Post by RogerB »

onto something! John noticed in a couple of cases the large appendages (pincers) of the Beavers were sheared off. There are large crawfish in this lake, and they may be the culprits. Next time out, if he's having the same problem, I'll have him try the slow reel-in to see if he can have a crawfish hang on like yours did.
Thanks for the input.

and, Whoopbass, I don't think the crush-spit-eat sequence applies here since John has been able to stick many bass on the same lures before using the MegaStrike scent. His impression again is that the fish are crushing and spitting, but not eating. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
...RogerB
Mark Langner

My 2 cents...

Post by Mark Langner »

I use megastrike (regular flavor) religiously. Tom Atkeson (sorry dude about the spelling) from Extreme Angler got me using the stuff. I can tell you a story if ur interested how I proved to myself on Shasta one particular trip that the megastrike proved to me that the fish held on longer.

I use megastrike on all worms, spidergrubs, and beavers. I have had days like you've described out there on the Delta with the beavers. Days where I'm having a hell of a time sticking the fish....and getting very frustrated with myself. In such cases I altered a few things about how I setup my hookset, how I rigged the bait, stuff like that. My only conclusions I could reach were that:
1) Some of the hits on the beaver that I missed, must have been smaller fish.
2) The bigger/quality fish took the bait more aggressively and I had not trouble getting a good hookset.
3) On days where I'm having a problem with hooksets on the beavers, then I need to wait just a little longer and let them play with the bait instead of an immediate hookset on the first tap.....when I did so....I hooked the fish....and....they were typically smaller ones...hence, my observation number 1.

I'd recommend sticking with the megastrike...I really don't believe that it has any detering factor...just my opinion.

Good fishing....Mark
RogerB

Thanks, Mark, for your...

Post by RogerB »

very useful insights. I'll recommend John try the delayed hook-set next time out.
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing your story from Shasta that proved the fish hang on longer with the MegaStrike.
...RogerB
Marc

I Use MegaStrike...

Post by Marc »

...I have used both versions of MegaStrike, and can attest to the fact that it does not deter bass in any way or fashion. I used it all last year (crawfish scent) and took AOY in three different circuits. I can't say it was the reason for doing well, but one thing is for sure, it didn't hurt!

I have had great results with the garlic version as well, but don't like the strong odor on my hands and clothes so I prefer the crawfish.

I have also found with most scents that many other creatures from turtles to crawfish are attracted to scented lures moreso than unscented lures, and suspect that this is what your son was experiencing.

ciao,
Marc
Tm Customs

Post by Tm Customs »

I never use real beavers I pour my own and have cought 100's if not 1000's of fish on them I will usally 19 out of 20 bites in the boat I fsh mine on a 4/0 G Mag hook pegged to 1/4 tungsten weight and soak them in Kick n Bass Craw?

Never used Megastrike
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
RogerB

Marc's experience with other creatures...

Post by RogerB »

Marc said:
I have also found with most scents that many other creatures from turtles to crawfish are attracted to scented lures more so than unscented lures, and suspect that this is what your son was experiencing.
Marc, have you found that carp are also attracted to scented lures? This lake has some very large carp which could produce the weighty bites my son experienced.

...RogerB
Andy Giannini

For Marc

Post by Andy Giannini »

You said "other critters" and I have to tell you this one. I got my hands on some Berkley Tournament Strength baits, where they changed the recipe around to go with the new plastic that had clear type colors. And I REALLY like the original formula, but I had to give the new one a shot. It really stunk. I mean, it smelled bad. So I am farting around with a sluggo type bait and this turtle pops up right in front real aggressive. I dangle it right on his nose like fishing for bullfrogs and he bites the tail off on it. That little guy got the worst look on his face, winced, sucked his head back in, and spit it out, with his tongue sticking out! I thought the it was going to puke! It was funnier than hell! My little unscientific test didn't give me much confidence in the the new formula, but I have caught a bunch of fish on it. Still Like the original stuff the best. The hundred count of those slugs from Wacky Worm was 15 bucks, but the expression on that turtle's face was priceless.

A.G.
Tm Customs

Post by Tm Customs »

If that Megastrike stinks I bet they were carp and I think they are also spawning right now so there pretty active.
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Mark Langner

Roger...my Shasta experience.....

Post by Mark Langner »

I was at Shasta in the fall last year, prefishing, and got into a really awesome bite... I was using a drop shot setup, and just had the right bait and the right location at the right time. One location, 1 and 2 pounders, the other location, 2+ and 3+ pounders, it was great. A friend of mine had given me some custom drop shot setups...involving swivles, beads, and such....and I had forgotten to try them out. So, I rig one up, put on my worm, drop her on down (I had forgotten to put on scent). Now, before the new tackle setup I was getting bit a ton, and now I'm not....so....I put on a fresh worm and slather the megastrike, and .......I immediately start getting bit, but....I kept coming back with a 3/4 inch worm on my line. The fish wanted that worm with the scent, but IMO were put off by the beads and bobbles of the drop shot setup, so would bite the worm just short of the hardware...and held on. Heck, I had a couple fish come almost to the boat they held on so long. So, after coming back with several worm pieces I yanked off the hardware, rigged traditionally, and proceeded to paste em for a couple more hours. That experience convinced me that the fish preferred a scented worm over a non scented worm, and that megastrike caused them to hold on longer.
RogerB

Thanks, Mark...

Post by RogerB »

for sharing that experience. That could sure make a believer out of you. I can see why you continue to use MegaStrike.
...RogerB
Mark Langner

Yeah Roger....

Post by Mark Langner »

funny how fishing experiences like that lock us in to a particular thing. We probably all have favorite lures or accessories that have a story behind em. The only thing I dislike about it is the stink all over my hands (which in reality is good, cuz everytime you touch your bait while casting your actually transmitting some back to the bait)... I carry a small terrycloth towel in the boat with me (wife got me a bag of em from costco cheap), and I wipe my hands off after I slime up my bait....after a while when the towel stinks too much I just toss it.

A tip during the winter. Megastrike gets pretty firm when the temperatures get cold in the winter. So I just stick it in my jacket pocket at the ramp and my body temp warms it just enough to make it come out of the tube easier....a little something I figured out for wintertime when my hands are a bit stiff.
Steve

Hey Rodger

Post by Steve »

I seriously doubt your sons experience was the result a applying scent. You just cant isolate one variable when there a a zillion variables influencing fish behavior on any day.

With that said, I use megastrike and cant say if it helps or not. I cant say that any scent helps. I only use scent religously when bed fishing, mostly because Im too lazy and dont like the mess. But one thing I know for sure is scent will mask other scents that may or may not deter fish (oil, gas, tobacco, sun screen, etc). This is the number one reason I used scent, strckly to mask, not necessarilly to draw more strikes.
RogerB

Good solutions...

Post by RogerB »

Thanks, Mark, for the tips...I like the idea of throw-away towels...my wife is not excited about washing my fishing towel, and would be even less so with a stinky scent like Megastrike on it. And, using body heat to soften the scent in winter-time is a good solution.

You may be right, Steve. Yes, there are a lot of variables operating on any given day. Given that John was fishing a spot he'd been on many times before, and as recently as the day before, and all other elements seemed to be the same, the major (if not the only) variable seemed to be the scent he was using. And, yes, we, too, use the scents to mask other human and foreign scents that may be repulsive to the fish. A major plus for the Megastrike is that it seems to stay on the lures longer than other scents.

We're not ready to stop using Megastrike. It may require some adjustments (in retrieve, hookset, etc.) but we'll give it a fair trial.

...RogerB
TomAtkeson

I've been using MegaStrike....

Post by TomAtkeson »

for well over a year now and I cant say enough about it. I LOVE the stuff I believe in it 100% (Ask sTony about me and megastrike) I put the stuff on every thing and any thing...dropshot senkos carolina rigs texas rigs jigs crank baits rip baits my hands even. I feel that it has improved my catches and quality of fish.
I have not ever experienced what you have described in this product. I highly suggest it to every one I've fished with in the past.

Tom
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
sTony

Post by sTony »

Yeah, yeah enough already Tom, hahaha. We were fishing in a tournament on Berryessa using the exact same bait and he got four or five strikes to my one. Only difference was he had his coated with MegaStrike and I wasn't using anything. Then I started using another scent and he still was getting a lot more strikes then I could muster.

sTony
vinnybass

Mega-Strike works

Post by vinnybass »

Hey y'all I just got on this board but thought I'd weigh in on this. I use Mega-Strike religiously on any soft baits & I know it makes a difference in how they hold on to a bait. I dropshot a lot on Mead & i can tell you I won't get near as many bites if I don't use it. FWIW, my team partner didn't believe me 'til I started wearing him out consistently on a D/S rigged exactly the same except for the Mega-Strike.
RogerB

Welcome aboard, vinnybass...

Post by RogerB »

and thanks for chiming in with your testimonial about Mega Strike. You've joined several others here who share your enthusiasm for that scent...it must be good! :)
...RogerB
TomAtkeson

Well Tony...

Post by TomAtkeson »

I more or less ment that I highly suggested it to you. And I love to use that stuff.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing