Best rough water bass boat?

SloppySeconds

Best rough water bass boat?

Post by SloppySeconds »

I'm curious if there are any general boat hulls out there that handle rough water than others? It seems my little 17' Ranger doesn't like moderate or heavy chop AT ALL! I was thinking that one would have to got a deeper-V type boat or a Whaler, but I don't like the idea of losing the fishing capabilities of a bass boat. Are there bass boats designed to take rough water? If you were going fish the big stuff out near Antioch, what hull would be a good choice?

SS :?:
FATGUY

Re: Best rough water bass boat?

Post by FATGUY »

THREE CHOICES .... CHAMPION .....CHAMPION ....CHAMPION
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

Any bassboat in the 20' range will handle big water better than your 17' will. But to answer your question, the deep v hulls like Champion, Charger, Viper, Legend are designed for rough water.
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

So, if I were on a budget and couldn't afford a 20-footer... I'm starting to lean towards the 18.5 or 19' size range. I have heard that length does make the biggest difference... chuckle, chuckle... :wink: Does Ranger make an equivalent platform to the Champions?

It is my understanding that Champions, Cobra (Viper?) and Charger were all designed by the same guy. Is that true? If so, is there much difference in the quality of these rigs when looking into the used boat market?

Thanks!
SS
Dewayne

Post by Dewayne »

I know a couple guys that have gone to the Ranger 6 series which is are deeper V multi-species boats with full windshields. They handle rough water really well and are a very comfortable ride. Joe Poole has one at Clear Lake and loves the boat for the rougher water there.

http://www.rangerboats.com/flash/galler ... ries=multi
Dewayne
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

My Bass Cat Pantera,

Never been wet in my Bass Cat Pantera Classic it is a 19' boat that handles rough water very well, I have never been dissapointed in this purchase....well the only thing is I wish I would have gotten the 200 hangin on the back :lol:

I can also say that the Champion is a great boat and the Ranger 520's I have been in handle the rough water pretty well esp fishing in the wind.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
twister

Post by twister »

My Ranger 488VS 20' or any Basscat. None of them can handle Clearlake on a windy 30mph day! Champs are good for chop but they are tipsy with two heavy guys.
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

I've been in just about every bass boat made on the market and with out a doubt a Champion is your best rough water ride hands down. The new Champions are not tipsy at all but the older Champions are narrow and can be tipsy. Do yourself a favor and ride in your new old boat on a windy day you will find out real quick if it's a good rough water riding boat. My vote would be a Champion
<*((((><
Mike

Post by Mike »

Everyone will tell you their boat is the best. The longer is better in rough water. I would have to 2nd the 488vs. Its the best rough watre boat Ranger ever made under 21'
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

SloppySeconds wrote: It is my understanding that Champions, Cobra (Viper?) and Charger were all designed by the same guy. Is that true? If so, is there much difference in the quality of these rigs when looking into the used boat market?
That's correct. John Storie designed most of these original hulls.

Cobra/Viper is out of business. I think Legend bought the old molds and added a new model called the Alpha Series. Jim Conlow, Tom Leogrande or Tony Stoltz can add their input on those boats. Legend is still fairly new and they have attractive price points on their boats. Check with Frank at Inland Marine for a new model.

I'm not sure about Charger. They don't have much of a west coast presence. All I know of them is what I read in the magazines.

That leaves Champion. You can find a good deal on some late models in the 18-19' range. Look at the 196 model or the 198 model. Those boats are 19'+ and carry a 200 or 225 HP. They're big and comfortable to fish out of. There is comfort knowing that Champion has been around for a long time. They're owned by Genmar (Ranger/Stratos/Champion).

Get out and take a ride in as many hulls as you can and I think you'll find one that you'll like.
twister

Post by twister »

I also have a 21' Stroker. Unlike Rangers they're made for speed. 80 mph easy. Bad thing is when that motor is trimmed up, it likes walking. So, no--not all 21' boats handle. Most do. But not all. The bottomline is every boat has pros and cons. Rangers are great handling boats but they're slow. I can only get my 488 to 67 mph @ 5700 rpm no gear and just me. I have a 6" jackplate to increase the built in setback. I have a 200 hp OB.
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

Any idea around what model year the Champions changed the hulls to become more stable? Seems like somewhere in the early 2000's maybe?

I was checking out the Ranger 618 online - anybody here have much experience with those? They seem like a good combined designed of deep-V multi-species boat and a bass boat with lots of deck space and storage. Of course, finding one on the used market is likely to be impossible.
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

I have a '96 model 196 Champion Elite, which has a 2001 Optimax 200 aboard. Mine is a bit of an odd duck, being a mid-90's hull and a big DFI motor, but I'll tell you my experience so far. This is my first "real" bass boat - I've had it a year, so I don't pretend to be as experienced as the other guys posting here.

I've had it on the Sac River near Rio Vista a fews times, and in fact I'm taking it out there again tomorrow. If I regularly planned to run on that river I'd get a deeper hull multi-species boat. I've had it out there on windy days, and while it wasn't unsafe, it wasn't much fun either. Don't forget as well the occasional big wakes from barges and other larger vessels

In more lake or small river like situations, the Champ is pretty impressive in how it handles. I've ridden in ski boats that were much heavier and rode worse than my boat.

I'm fishing with Dad this weekend, but if you want PM for next weekend. Show me some spots in the West Delta & you can ride in it for comparison sake.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

Well, its refreshing to read a more critical review. Knowing the limitations of your equipment may be just as important as testing them out once in a while - provided you don't die when the wake of the Tokyo Rose comes over the bow.

Thanks for the invite for the ride-along. :D Unfortunately - it will be a while until I'm back in CA.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

As usual any post asking for the "best" is going to have several options to it.

I've a 94 Procraft, (yeah ancient), but I did put on an 04 Optimax in 04, with fuel costs what they are I'm very happy I did as well.

Back to the rough water boat thing.

I've run in every imaginable type of water that exists. Really, from glass to confirmed 7 footers! (not fun or recommended either). But we were dryier than most of the rest arriving at the dock after two miles of that crap. (probably due to a pant load as well).

But the hull design of the 180 now a 185 is such that it's bow is lower than the pad, what that makes is a hull that is designed to part the waves at the pointed front of the boat. It works very well. BTW that design plus can be taken away by simply changing the prop as well. For an 18'3" hull she is wonderful.

The boat runs as designed with a Laser II, I run a tempest which is almost the same as the Trophy. Both of them lift the entire boat as opposed to the Laser providing lots of stern lift. Thus sticking that pow into waves and softening the ride. I use trim and the CMC hydro plate to adjust the boat position when needed.

I will also pull throttle and ride it out slowly. Saves the kidneys and back!

If you have ever been to Lake Powell and run "Maytag Straights" on a busy summer day you know how disruptive water can be on the occupants. If not, well lets just say that wind caused rough is 180 degrees from wake caused rough.

At any rate, many persons that own other boats or have frequented other boats seem to enjoy the ride with me, even when conditions are on the extream for bass rigs.

John Storie hulls have a GREAT and deserved reputation for being kind to occupants when conditions are a bit rough. My ProCraft does as well. But it's not all the boat, the operator has much more control than many think they have, but a well designed hull is priceless in rough water. Storm is another name that comes to mind for handling rough water with kindness.

Oh and as you age a bit, you really begin to pay attention to ride, it matters and it matters allot!

Oh and changed my seats a couple of years ago, the old ones needed a refurb and actually the cost was but double to just replace. I replaced with the attwood full suspension seat, they provide a full 4" of personal suspension. My G/F was very angry with me, well because she figured I should have done such 4 years earlier! :D All is well and the changes to PC1 continue to happen. She may not shine like she once did, but she floats, don't take on water and with the Opti, sips on the fuel straw as well. Not to mention she can still handle BIG water with as much grace as any boat can muster.

I could not tell which to buy, and would not. Just try and spend some time in every one you have an interest, and hopefully the water will be a little angry for you at the time.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I AGREE ON THE PROCRAFT, I HAD A 1998 185PRO. WITH A 175 EFI, AND IT RODE GREAT.......THEN WE SOLD IT BECAUSE WE THOUGHT WE WANTED A RANGER ???, AND BOUGHT A 482V WITH A 175 ON IT 1995 AND IT RODE GREAT ALSO . BUT NOW WE ARE IN A TR21 TRITON THAT YOU CAN DANCE AND WALK AROUND IN AND IT IS A GREAT RIDING BOAT, INFACT WHEN IT SELLS, WE INTEND TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE SAME TR21 BUT WITH OPRIMAS FOR FUEL MILAGE.............EFI HAS BETTER HOLE SHOT AND SPEED, BUT SUCKS THE FUEL......BUT (MAYBE SINGLE CONSOL THIS TIME, MAYBE)??

JIGS
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

I would say the Triton X2 series hands down. They have a new one now available 19X2 with a 225 rating. This boat will ride just as well if not better than the Champ design's and will run in the mid 74-75 with a Pro XS.

You need to ride in one to see what I mean. I think you would be very surprised to see how it handles.

Justin

Post by Guest »

Great Ride vs. Fishing platform stability is the trade off you will encounter when checking out bass boats.

My team partner has a skeeter and many of my good friends have Rangers.. both of those boats fish more stable than my Legend. Is my Legend is it so unstable that it bothers me in the least bit. No... but, I only weight 208 lbs. If I was Jim Davis 6'7" and 330+ I wouldn't want to be fishing off the deck of my boat... I'd have a Ranger or a Skeeter regardless of the rides. My deck is a little smaller than the deck of an equivalent sized Ranger or Skeeter boat.... but, once again not small enough that it effects me.

When it comes to the ride... I honestly believe the only boat on the water that compares to the ride of a Legend is a Champion. It's remarkable how well they ride and more than just tell you that I will prove it - but, it may take a few weeks as I am awaiting the arrival of my new Legend.

To further back my opinion that Legends ride so well I will give you some support information.

I sold my Legend in about a week of having it posted on this board. I took one nice guy for a ride in it and I told him not to decide on it until after he has ridden in ANY boat that he would consider buying. I am not in a rush to sell the boat and I would prefer him buying the boat after checking out all the boat makers.

Then the next day another great angler and nice guy gave me a call and said he wanted my boat. Didn't even want to go for a test drive. Just wanted the boat and only wanted to look at it before going out in it. I was shocked and wondered why he knew he wanted it. He told me he fished the BASS at Lake Amistad as a co-angler and drew Ben Matsubu for the tournament. Ben Matsubu is a Legend Pro Staffer and runs a Legend boat on tour. The conditions were 4 to 5 footers as I hear from the guy buying my boat. He said that Legend handled the waves better than any boat out there and he also said since that day he has kept a close eye on boats as they've gone by him on varius lakes and watched which ones bounced and which ones cut through the wakes and he could always instanly tell which one was a Legend. He gave me a deposit and the boat will be his any day now!

I don't want to give his name on this board as I am not sure he would want that. However, many of you will see him and probably donate some money to him in the very near future at tournaments. You will recognize him because he'll been in the gorgeous black,white and purple boat. Feel free to ask him about the Ben Matsubu experience and I am sure he'll be happy to tell you.

Once again this post got longer than I wanted it to. However, I really believe there is a trade off between stability and ride. The only difference is you can die running across big water... I think it would be tough to find a way to die because your boat rocks a little in a passing boats wake.

Just my .02 - and YES I am a Legend Pro Staffer but, I wouldn't be if I truly didn't think they were the best all around for your $$$ boat on the market.

I know I will get 100 people slamming me on this so I will not be replying to this thread any more. Have a question on this email me!

tight lines!
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

I see you are A Ranger fan so look at the Multi-Species 618 VS or the 1760 & 1860 GREAT BIG WATER BOATS.

But if you ask me BassCat Sabre, Pantera II, Pantera Classisc, or the P 4 you can't beat the boat for ride and speed plus PRICE!!!

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
BassCatPuma

Post by BassCatPuma »

Ok, I have read them all and will gladly open my Bass Cat up to anyone that wants to ride in the best rough water boat on the market in MY opinion. And I have ran them all, and most of them on Clear Lake in the wind.

If you want a price on a 20' with a 225 opti. for way under 40k give me a call at 707-972-5188
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.purefishing.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.rodwraps.com
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

SloppySeconds Posted

Any idea around what model year the Champions changed the hulls to become more stable? Seems like somewhere in the early 2000's maybe?

I believe it was 2001 when they went to a wider beam. Champion is a great rough water boat(not just cause I have one), but there are a number of them. I also think the operator will have some input as to how your back holds up.

I fished a number of pro/ams and have some wild rides on new big boats. So folks just don't get it. I was also in a 17' Ranger out on Shasta during a pretty good storm. I thought I was going to get beat to death in that boat, not even close. I watched closey as the pro I was with manuvered that boat through the slop and the ride was very smooth. This gentleman has been fishing tornaments for a lot of years, and his boating skills showed it.
I had to come back...I know...
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Mike Tremont wrote
and his boating skills showed it.

That has a lot to do with a boat ride!!

Then again some older Rangers and Nitros just plain rode ruff
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
ron4493

Post by ron4493 »

I have been bass fishing over 30 years and have been in almost every boat out there, and have never been in a boat that rides as smooth as a charger. The Ranger 520 and Champions are also good riding boats. Its true that a 20 footer is going to give you the best ride, but a 19 foot charger will ride just as good if not better than most 20s out there. Although they have been making boats for over 30 years, Charger just hasnt marketed there boats out here in California and most people just havent rode in them. I will admit that I do own a charger and I hate to sell it ,but, I am seriously thinking about making the trip to the midwest to buy another one. I like the boat that much. I have had back surgery and my back is fused so I need a good riding boat.
Check the forums on Bass Boat Central and read what people say about them. I think you will here lots of comments about them being the best ride out there.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

The funny thing about this thread, is nobody has ever asked for a really stable boat at rest, that just beats you to death when you run and the wind picks up.

Any takers? I have never heard of anybody asking for a boat like that. Oh yeah, and it must be very expensive too.

They all ride really well, when the water is flat.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

OK..........so let's go with that 20 ft rule. if i am rolling in a 20 ft boat i should be better off, right? how about the weight of the boat?

My old little bass boat weighs a ton. it is made of glass and wood! i am allowed to hold up to 1500 lbs of gear, but i have reduced it for performance issues requarding gas and fishing more effectively by reducing the inventory of gear. I have made it through some crazy water on Clear Lake against and with the swells. i have even listened to the sound of my prop spinning, which is bad. But i think it does EXTREMELY WELL for 16 ft. of boat. it's a Tri-hull..

I am thinking of that BASSCAT COUGAR. it weighs about 1400lbs. 20ft long and can be powered up to 300hp. is that a good rough water boat?

saLTIE-
Fish Chris

Post by Fish Chris »

Here's an awesome boat that will certainly handle some BIG water: http://www.championboats.com/index_salt ... &mid=5245/
(click on 3rd photo from the left)

Only problem with this boat (aside from cost / cost to operate) is that it's too darn pretty.... Meaning that you would have to waste a lot of valuable fishing time, keeping it clean.

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I kinda like this little number... look under "patrol boats"

http://www.military.co.il/
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
bassrippin365

Post by bassrippin365 »

I've read how everbody's boat is the best.Champion,legend,basscat,ranger,skeeter.I owned a champion and now own a stratos and of course I'm going to tell you that stratos is the best.But it kinda looks like we've just about covered all of the manufactuers.Pick the boat that is set up for your preferences,meaning ride, storage,stability,performance,etc.To me I don't need an 80 mph boat.Storage and fishing comfortable are my key preferences.Just a thought,I've seen guys in bass trackers put serious whoopin's on all of us that own big fast rides.Just remember the boat doesn't catch the fish.
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

My 8' Bucksbag Southfork is the only way to go. It handles rough water great and you can beat the gas milage. :lol:

Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

aNNieNsaLTIE wrote:OK..........so let's go with that 20 ft rule. if i am rolling in a 20 ft boat i should be better off, right? how about the weight of the boat?

My old little bass boat weighs a ton. it is made of glass and wood! i am allowed to hold up to 1500 lbs of gear, but i have reduced it for performance issues requarding gas and fishing more effectively by reducing the inventory of gear. I have made it through some crazy water on Clear Lake against and with the swells. i have even listened to the sound of my prop spinning, which is bad. But i think it does EXTREMELY WELL for 16 ft. of boat. it's a Tri-hull..

I am thinking of that BASSCAT COUGAR. it weighs about 1400lbs. 20ft long and can be powered up to 300hp. is that a good rough water boat?

saLTIE-
COUGAR ALL WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol: Go and see Steve at Mossdale I think the 2008 COUGAR will SCREAM!!!! and FISH VERY WELL!!!!!!!
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Noluk

Post by Noluk »

I will take a different approach. If your buying a used boat or setting your boat up for rough water here are some things that help. Some more than others.

1. Adjustable, preferably hydraulic jackplate. Lower it when your going to be running in the rough stuff. Better bite and better leverage.

2. If your home lake often gets rough or gets real rough, invest in a 5 blade prop with several inches less pitch. (also good if your kids waterski etc) The 5 blade and lower pitch will let your motor run at higher rpm's at slower speeds. This reduces bogging. It is a pita to run a bass boat propped for 75 mph at 25 mph and some days 25 is all you can do. If you normally run a 26 inch prop buy a 21 or 22 inch 5 blade and you will be amazed at the difference.

3. Trim tabs. Very few bass boats come with em. (Gamblers or Allison I think) Lots of folks who run nothing but rough water add em. I came from a saltwater background so I miss them all the time. If I lived somewhere like Mead or Clear Lake, I would add them without a doubt.

4. Driving skills. Number 1 factor is learning your boat and how to run the rough stuff. Usualy better to ride with a great driver and then try to learn what he does and learn to apply it to your boat.

All things being equal, length helps the most. Second thing that matters in how you land is degrees of deadrise at the transom AND the degree of deadrise at where you land.
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

you might consider a SUBMARINE.......... the handel water good on the top & under it........lots of room, you name it they have it.......
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Tornado Dave

Post by Tornado Dave »

While a lot of progress has been made in the last few years with regard to boats that handle rough water, Champion is still the name in that catagory. Most of the other boat makers make good products to meet your needs, but it is not all about the boat...

First, start with a deeper vee hull, that is a given.

Second, look at how the weight is distributed in the hull. If all the weight is in the stern of the boat; motor, gas tank, oil reserve, 3 batteries..., and you have little weight in the bow (1000+lbs in the stern vs. 60 lbs of tackle in the bow). This means that as you come over a large wake, the bow will stay up and the stern will stay down, making a harsh re-entry on to the next wave. If you can put more weight forward, the hull will cut the water better and reduce the impact of re-entry. It's like putting your hand on the back of a knife, it cuts better with a little weight on it.

Third, LEARN TO DRIVE your boat.
There are benefits to steering through rough water as apposed to driving in a straight line. Try not to run over the peaks of the waves, slow down some and drive through the valleys between the peaks of the waves (TIP: As you look at the waves in front of you, the foam on the water will mark the valleys.) This will keep the boat on the water and reduce those painful back jarring impacts. If you find your bow staying up, trim down the motor a little more, but not enough to spear a wave.

Good luck

TD
Dave

Devil Mountain Bassmasters
www.dmbass.com
Tornado Dave

Post by Tornado Dave »

While a lot of progress has been made in the last few years with regard to boats that handle rough water, Champion is still the name in that catagory. Most of the other boat makers make good products to meet your needs, but it is not all about the boat...

First, start with a deeper vee hull, that is a given.

Second, look at how the weight is distributed in the hull. If all the weight is in the stern of the boat; motor, gas tank, oil reserve, 3 batteries..., and you have little weight in the bow (1000+lbs in the stern vs. 60 lbs of tackle in the bow). This means that as you come over a large wake, the bow will stay up and the stern will stay down, making a harsh re-entry on to the next wave. If you can put more weight forward, the hull will cut the water better and reduce the impact of re-entry. It's like putting your hand on the back of a knife, it cuts better with a little weight on it.

Third, LEARN TO DRIVE your boat.
There are benefits to steering through rough water as apposed to driving in a straight line. Try not to run over the peaks of the waves, slow down some and drive through the valleys between the peaks of the waves (TIP: As you look at the waves in front of you, the foam on the water will mark the valleys.) This will keep the boat on the water and reduce those painful back jarring impacts. If you find your bow staying up, trim down the motor a little more, but not enough to spear a wave.

Good luck

TD
Dave

Devil Mountain Bassmasters
www.dmbass.com