Line for drop shotting

Micropterus salmoides

Line for drop shotting

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

What are some good lines for drop shotting? Is fluorocarbon the favored line now? I've only used Trilene Big Game and P-Line Fluoroclear. I'd appreciate information on experience with various lines. Thanks.
David Rogers

Re: Line for drop shotting

Post by David Rogers »

I just had some floro put on my drop shot rod a Mel Cottons on San Carlos in San Jose, I can not remember the brand it was but Marshall in the fishing dept will hook you up, I only go in on Tuesdays so I know he works tuesdays but I am sure anyone there will hook you up. First time out with me Shimano Crucial drop shot rod at Clear Lake with the new line got a 5, 7 & a 10 bler, 10 lb bass on 6 lb line is un real :D I just switch me jig rod over to braid with a tip of floro, I have been told you can not get more sensative than this, it only cost me $7.00 to try it because you use your old line as a bed to attached the braid to. Fishing Clear Lake tomorrow and monday 8)
I think all my lines will wind up floro but my rip bait rod and craink rod.
Good Luck!!
David 371V Rogers
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i p-line fluorocarbon a lot for my leader material when fishing braid and for any sinking or suspending baits...but then i ran across a brand of line by the name of TORAY..GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!! i only know one place that sells it and they are located in San Francisco. The shop is called Hi's Tackle Box. 1-415-221-3825 call if you want to try it.

I do not mean to offend any sponsors of NCBF.

saLTIE-
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Nothing wrong with just staying with Flouroclear(p-Line) in the 4 to 6 lb range for your dropshot rigging. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

More often than not I have three dropshot rods in my boat. The 2 lighter ones I run 6# and the heavier of the the three runs 8#. I've always dropshotted with flouro and have tried a bunch of different lines and so far have been the happiest with the seagar inviz-x...I've heard sunline is pretty phenominal stuff.....just have'nt been able to get myself to part with the cash to spool it.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I have tried all types of combinations and setups with the drop-shot! Different lines, sizes, and brands. My biggest problem was the line twisting when I used fluorocarbon. When I whet to some other type of line I believe I gave up the stealthy of the fluorocarbon.

The combination that I use now is Braid (Fireline in 20#) tided straight to Seagar or Gamma. I use Seagar in the 10# and 12# and Gamma in 6#. The braid eliminates the twisting and I can change the pounds of my leader real fast. I have pre rigged leader with hooks and weights in sandwich bags.

Hope this helps!
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

I was using Vicious 6lb fluorocarbon for my DS but the only way I could control the twisting was to use a swivel. I hated having the extra knots so I switched over to 15 lb braid with a floro leader this week. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I wonder why my leader knots don't hold using p'line leaders to braid but my clear flourocarbon knots do. Same knot, where you twist the lines together end to end then drop both tag ends back through the middle.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
mike goodwin

Post by mike goodwin »

'TORAY' all the way. I've been using this for 1 year, I think it's the best I've ever used. #1 line in Japan with over $40 mill in sales world wide so I've been told. Anglers Marine also sells 'TORAY". Go to Blackwaterinternational.com and you can see all their lines and other dealers, give it a try.......Mike G
griz01

Post by griz01 »

I also like the Seaguar Invis-x. Worked great for the 10 1/2lber I pulled out of the Delta this summer. I primarily use the 8lb but always have 6 lb on a spare spool. I would like to know though how do you tie the flouro to the braid? What knot is that and how much leader is used? I'm always willing to learn something new.
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

I use Gamma 6 lb. Flourocarbon and Gamma 6 Lb. Copolymer. I have had troubles with twist, but not too much to hinder me.

I am going though to play around with Braid/Flouro Combo.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
Rick K of Ca

Best Line for drop shotting

Post by Rick K of Ca »

I now use nothing but Gamma fluorocarbon line in 4 and 6# for drop-shotting.

Rick K of Ca
Rick K of Ca

Best Line for drop shotting

Post by Rick K of Ca »

I now use nothing but Gamma fluorocarbon line in 4 and 6# for drop-shotting.

Rick K of Ca
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

mike goodwin wrote:'TORAY' all the way. I've been using this for 1 year, I think it's the best I've ever used. #1 line in Japan with over $40 mill in sales world wide so I've been told. Anglers Marine also sells 'TORAY". Go to Blackwaterinternational.com and you can see all their lines and other dealers, give it a try.......Mike G
:roll:
I agree totally Mike! I have some bulk spools, and this line is awesome for dropshot. Like any fluorocarbon, you need a bit of line maintenance for dropshot, such as keeping an eye on the loops in the spool from time to time during the day. This line is great, as it comes in 5# which is perfect for some shallow clearwater finesse fishing (NW smallies).
Tight Lines,
schreech
Marty

Post by Marty »

I use the Uni Knot back to back and it has never failed me! What I like about the Uni Knot is the line slips through the opposite Knot and does not pinch the line!

As for the leader – I have it about a foot or two longer then the rod I’m using.
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

6# Gamma flouro

Elliott
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com