spinning reel and flourocarbon

scsiman411

spinning reel and flourocarbon

Post by scsiman411 »

Im having abit of trouble with line twist on spinning reels while using flourocarbon especially, has anyone tried the US Reels supercaster lineup? The spool looks abit wider but does it help that much. To help the issue Ive been using braid with a 6 or so foot leader of flouro but always worry about the knot if I get lucky enough to hook a decent fish. What is the limpest flouro out there, maybe thats the answer.
David Rogers

Re: spinning reel and flourocarbon

Post by David Rogers »

Hey 411,
What I was told is don't click your bail over with the handle, do it manually but even doing this you will still get line memory with all lines but braid but more with floro, I just started using floro 6 lb on my crucial and what I do is when it starts getting bad I just let line out on my next re-tie about the same amount you normally cast, its kind of a pain but its worth the feel. Got a 10 lber at Clear Lake 4 weeks ago and it was the first time I used Floro!!!, got the tip from a FLW back seater, I know alot about baits but the line thing I am just coming to the party on. Don't know where you are located but Mel Cottons in San Jose has some good guys working in the fishing dept and they will hook you up.
David 371V Rogers
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

Flouro is just plain hard to manage on a spinning reel especially if you use anything over 8lbs test. I won't even use anything over 8lbs test now. It's just stiff and twists like no other. Like David said though, just let a bunch of line out behind the boat with nothing tied on to it and then reel it back on while holding it between your fingers. This will straighten it back out.

Depending on what line size you are using and what type of fishing you are doing, downsizing the line test may help. The smaller the diameter the more limp the line is. I use 6lbs test now for dropshot and finess type of baits and it's better than the 8 and 10 were as far as twist and stiffness go.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I was having the same problem and bought a Shimano Stradic 2500. I use it on a 6ft Fenwick spinning rod.
The wider spool seems to have lessened the problem, even with Vanish 10lb test.
I straighten my line before I head to the lake; I tie it to the strut on my garage door and walk back aways, pull the line hard, go back to the strut, cut the line and reel it up between thumb and index finger. Works for me.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

When your line is out behind the boat, and you are moving with the trolling motor, give the rod four or five hard rips with your rod low to the water. One rip at a time. This will straighten your line quick.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

So nobody has a US reel? I was looking at getting one for the same reason. Plus, no boat and not enough room in my dwtn apt... or maybe I'm too lazy... but give me another excuse to buy another reel? I'm in!
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

I went to a larger reel Daiwa (3500 series), and I can put 12lb Toray on, with some castability, and reduced line twist. I stress reduced line twist......
Tight Lines,
schreech
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Run it all off your spool and troll around a bit with nothing on the line. Then reel in back up, all twists are gone. or you can tie flouro to the end of your braid using a allbright of Toni Pena knot. It wont break at that end. Also if you use hollow core braid, you just slip in your flourocarbon and put a dot of glue on the end, and it works like a chinese finger trap and doesnt come out, and there is no knot to go through the guides.
LL
FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

i went through this exercise a few months back i found yo-zuri to be the best but i still went back to braid with a leader. braid casts so much better plus i never had a knot fail ..of course i never had a 10 plus on . i use a blood knot to connect and never worry . i don't think you should worry any more about the knot than you do about others. just my two cents. if you worry about your knots just practice and tie them better. now.. not trying to say you can't tie a knot ... just QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE KNOT AND MORE ABOUT HOW TO GET THAT BIG HOG ON ... IF YOU DON'T HOOK ONE THEM YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE KNOT.. MERRY XMAS TO ALL
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Here are some reviews. I was going to get one until I read these.

I know there's a way to shrink all of that address, but I don't know how to do it.
I had to come back...I know...
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

That was pretty funny Mike.."I cast very far""I caught a three pound flounder"..I am still laughing...
http://www.dobynsrods.com
bobs

Post by bobs »

Have same problem, using both Vanish 10lb test & 14lb test on Shimano Spin Reel. Flip bail manually has helped some, but still looking for the cure. Love action of Flucarbon, may try some different brands or styles. Will listen for possible solutions.
Good day sir,
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

There is no absolute cure for preventing line twist when using spinning gear..There are numerous ways to reduce it and to temporarily fix it while fishing..There is even line twist when using braid, it just takes a whole lot longer to become a problem of any magnitude..Every helpful hint posted can be used to reduce the effects of the problem, but there is no permanent fix..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..