Swamp Donkey .500 Batting Average

csplee

Swamp Donkey .500 Batting Average

Post by csplee »

Has anyone else had problems with having the hook penetrate all the way through the lip on a Swamp Donkey? I have had about a .500 success rate having the hook penetrate all the way through. I'm letting the fish completely take the bait under before I set the hook, but 50% of the time, the fish comes off at the boat or right when I get her in the boat. Only about half of the time when I have to remove the hook from her lip. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever tried some type of "trailer hook" rig? By the way, I'm using a heavy action 7'6" Loomis rod w/ 50 lb Power Pro.
Tm Customs

Re: Swamp Donkey .500 Batting Average

Post by Tm Customs »

I hate the donkey I have hooked about 1 out of 20 fish on it do your self a favor and throw it away!
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Rich_Thiel

Swamp Donkey vs. Bobby's Perfect Frog

Post by Rich_Thiel »

Today I had a Guide trip and for the last 10 days had Frog fish going. At one point today I was throwing the Swamp Donkey and one of the Clients was throwing the Green/White Belly Perfect Frog.

First off I would have too say the PF out performed the SD 3 to 1 in obtaining strikes (Covering the same water). Hook-up ratio out of say 3 strikes. The PF 2 vs SD 1/2 or 1.

There was a couple of difference that I notice right off. Action in the water is totally different between them. SD Rubber is thinner than the PF in which sitting spread out more. By popp'in it the SD is narrower comin in (Less Water to push) against the PF. One other thing I really noticed is the PF really dances in the water over the SD.

Hook's, You don't have to change out the PF nor tweak them. SD I tweak them and I still probably missed 4-6 solid hits. Where my clients PF right out of the box missed very few. He caught and released 15 frog fish today. This is also his very first time Frog'in or being on the Delta. I own 2 SD and 15 SPF 2 PF.

Good Luck with the Swamp Donkey's.... Some guys like them and some don't. I will stay with Snagproof Products.

Good Luck again

Rich Thiel
Guide exclusively on the California Delta, Lake Berryessa and Clearlake for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.
http://www.calbassguide.com , www.roboworms.com , www.quickdrops.com
www.316lurecompany.com
mac (Doyle McEwen)

They are all goo9d

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Which one is best, depends on your own personal results..Perhaps one is better than the other,so far I havn't seen it..I still honestly believe the difference is very personal..Go with the one you have the most confidence in..You will not go wrong..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
sThurmon

Send all your Donkeys to me.

Post by sThurmon »

I'll take em. Your right they don't work at all. Definatly don't send the white or black ones. They have a very poor hooking ratio and don't work worth beans. If you need my address let me know.

thanks

Steve
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Hey Steve,

were your remarks meant for my post or another..In any case, I ain't sending you nuthin..I'm keeping everything I got and wishing I had more..

mac
sThurmon

Mac ...I was being sarchastic

Post by sThurmon »

I tried them the other day and had no problems.good luck

Steve
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Hey Steve

Take it from an "old" bass fisherman, they all work, no matter the color, no matter the lip shape, no matter the depth they run at, no matter the amount of racket they put into the water..The trick is to find the right combination at the right time and in the right places..Heck If I could get three out of the four? right I could win the BASSMASTERS CLASSICandFLW CHAMPIONSIP TOURNEY in a heart beat..Now where do I find a sonsor..

mac
BS'r

Rats...

Post by BS'r »

It's about action and hookup ratio. Experiment some, find ways to improve you average. There's better overlooked baits available for half the price that are very good with a few mods.

BLOOP! BLOOP! is working well also.

I live for the BIG SPLASH!!!!
Tm Customs

Re: Swamp Donkey .500 Batting Average

Post by Tm Customs »

The Swam Donkey is a reject had RI not had a hit w/ the beaver they would have never sold a single donkey. Yea this bait may work if you wanna hook 1 out of 10 fish, but if you wanna hook alot of fish Bobby's frog, sumo, or the horny toad is the way to go :lol:
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
TomAtkeson

I havent had any problems.

Post by TomAtkeson »

Ive fished it a few times now have not had fish I stuck come off and have missed few fish on it. Im fishing a St Croix 7'0 heavy fast action rod (yes the one thats about shaped likea coke can :) a daiwa advanage reel and 50lb stren super braid.

Tom
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
basstamer

I have only had the oppurtunity to throw it one time......

Post by basstamer »

and during that trip I had one blow up on it and in turn landed a 3 lber. Both hooks were deep in the top of the fishes mouth and werent going anywhere. I cant help but wonder if it is really the bait or anglers reaction/hooksetting times that are causing the missed fish. As far as losing fish on them....welcome to frog fishin'! I aint no pro but I have fished a frog a time or two and have landed (and lost) my fair share of frog fish....you fish a frog and your gonna lose and miss ALOT of fish period no matter what bait your using. I have nothing against snag proofs,swamp donkeys or any of the rest of them but I gotta tell ya I love my average so far with the Swamp Donkey! By the way it just aint cool to rag on a company like Reaction Innovations with your opinions like above-there is more to Andre and his company than just the Beaver.
Jason C.

As I recall...

Post by Jason C. »

when the Bobby's perfect frog first came out last year people weren't too pleased with that either. But look at what we are reading now: "Stay with bobby's perfect frog". Just give it time and you'll learn to love it just like how we did with bobby's perfect frog. As far as the people that wanna throw their donkeys away... I will be happy to accept your donations for the kids in the Delta Teen Team as I am the president of the club and I'm sure they won't mind having some swamp donkeys!

Jason Conser
President, Delta Teen Team
925-550-5271 or email me at
jtcdog@yahoo.com

http://www.deltateenteam.com
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
RipnRog

TM Customs

Post by RipnRog »

Why are you ripping the Swamp Donkey and RI. Is it because you got ripped for trying to sell your knock off Beavers on this site? I have tried all of these frogs and I think the Donkey works better than any of the others. This is my opinion. Being a custom bait seller yourself you should really watch what you say about another companies product especially one that you have copied and offered for sale. If you would like a lesson on fishing a frog I would be happy to take you out and teach you. Remember patience is the key.

Rodger
Rich_Thiel

Thought about this alot on the differances

Post by Rich_Thiel »

I stated above in my first post that the Swamp Donkey's Rubber strands spread out more than Bobby Barrack's PF does. This in my opinion maybe the cause of some missed blowups that some of you and myself have experienced. By the strands spreading out more it becomes a bigger target than the body of the SD itself.

So, in my humble opinion, I have to look in how to fish this frog differently than any other frog on the market. Conclusion: Faster, which it would give it a more compacked profile. Hmmmm Dah!!!!!

Good Luck and Tight Lines

Rich Thiel
Guide exclusively on the California Delta, Lake Berryessa and Clearlake for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.
www.316lurecompany.com
basstamer

Amen Ripnrog!!!*NM*

Post by basstamer »

*NM*
Rich_Thiel

Results of 7-05-5/ Delta

Post by Rich_Thiel »

7 straight on Bobby Barracks PF-------8 straight Miss's on the Swamp Donkey.

I did this to it and still missed them.... Changed hook to a Gama, Cut skirt down by 3/4 of an inch. Cut the darn Rattle chamber off.

Went back home but boat back into the Garage. Started looking at the SD (Remember I had two). Noticed the the Yellow one I was using was thicker in material against the Black one. This is called Quality Control issue. I may just send it back with a note attached to it. Nice one of course.

Tight Lines (no Slack)

Rich Thiel
www.316lurecompany.com
JGB

Not the Lure

Post by JGB »

I firmly believe that it's the attitude of the fish that will determine hookup percentages + or _ ? It seems like sometimes they just eat it with complete disregard. Other times their just bumping it or trying to scare it off instead of actually attempting to swallow the lure? Although some frogs are better that others when the fish are flat out eating a frog the two frogs mentioned in this thread are both pretty good, when they are not in the mood to totally commit I believe your gonna miss a lot of fish because their not getting the frog in their mouth? Then again I'm not an expert on frog fishing but have had a day or two where they were just eating the frog no matter what I did.
JGB
Jim V.

SD

Post by Jim V. »

During the BASS Open on the Delta, I had 4 blow-ups with 4 hooked & in the boat from the back seat with a SD from the back seat. My pro was using another brand & missed several. Don't know what that means, but it worked for me.
Rich_Thiel

J, Its not a matter of witch Frog Company(s) is or are the

Post by Rich_Thiel »

best, its a matter of quality control matter. I've been fishing for the last month with frogs atleast 3+days a week with or without a client. The post above happen yesterday on two areas of the Delta. Both areas I've found "On" in the last 14 to 21 days. One area 7 hookups on PF. No 2 area 8 miss's on SD. Felt most of them etc. Same Rod, same Braid, same depth of fish when hit.

Like I said in the post above yours Came home and found that the density of the rubber was harder than the other within the same family of frog design of the same company.

I know of Fisherman with the same time on water that either love them or hate them. When you spend time trying to make a frog work right and you have negative results. Something other than the design and hook is wrong when the fish slams it. I spent 2 1/2 hours last night comparing different companys product to this one, plus another one within SD and found that the consistence in rubber is different....Result: Quality Control Issue.

For the price that they won't for these little jewels at the same price of others that have been proven you would think that a company would watch for just this issue.

Rich Thiel
www.316lurecompany.com
Alax

Ok, I have to get in on this one..

Post by Alax »

I hit the Delta for the first time in about 7 months. I was there mainly to fish the frog. I also two areas were I was getting the blow-ups. I used a snag proof frog that I modified to be more like Bobby's Perfect Frog (Cut legs off, swapped hooks, etc.). I had about 18 blow-ups from the two areas and only got 5 fish to the boat.

It seemed to me that the fish were just slapping at the bait, some would blast through the cheese and I could still see my frog sitting there and then they would come back and just slap at it.

I also lost 4 fish, felt them for about 5 seconds after the initial hookset and then nothing.

It alomost seemed like the fish were not real aggressive, maybe just toying with the bait, but I don't really know.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Alax