College vs. Fishing?

chris_hughes

College vs. Fishing?

Post by chris_hughes »

I was stressing this upcoming semester because of the Delta Stren event just happened to be right in the same week as finals. Today was the first day this semester and found out all my Professors are willing to let me take my finals early, and miss class for the Havasu, and Clear lake tournaments aswell. Pretty stoked. Just thought I'd post a topid to see if anyone ever had to choose college over fishing, and what everyone thinks the perks are for completing college then pursuing the tournament trails, or vice versa? I got lucky this semester but I know sooner or later this conflict is going to happen, so whats everyones oppinions?

Chris Hughes
cleb19

Re: College vs. Fishing?

Post by cleb19 »

Im in the same situation this semester. I took this semester off to just fish I got my AA last semester and at 21 yrs old I feel I have time to go finish up when the time is right. So far I have not regretted my decision and dont think I ever will. Most college professors are leniant just hope you dont get a teacher who thinks its wrong to impale fish with hooks, I made the mistake one time and wasnt allowed to make up a quiz for a fishing trip out of town lol that was a funny experience, good luck in your choices man I know its tough.

cleb
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Fishing is great, but look around, chances of making a good living with it are about like odds for making it in the music business (not very good) it's not just about how well you can fish, there is an entire business side to it that you better be prepared to handle.
Education is the key to your future-regardless if fishing is part of your future or not. Many well intentioned people at a young age that got sidetracked always thought they would find the time to finish their education, and never did. Six months or a year away from school and chances are you don't go back.
My advice would be to finish school and establish yourself first.
hunterdave

Post by hunterdave »

Dan,

I agree! Even if you plan to fish pro you should go to college. When I talk to young adults and high school aged kids about how fishing pro and college go hand in hand, I always suggest they focus on marketing, writing, public speaking, and computer classes. Even a good engine repair class with emphasis on outboards will serve a purpose. Now a days some colleges like Oklahoma have college level bass fishing teams. I wish they had those when I was growing up!
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

chase your dream or do what the old responsible people tell you to do...... only you can answer that one.... do you have rich parents that are willing to support your addictive fishing habit? Do you want to be living at home w mom and dad when your 30, spending all day talking about your fishing dreams while you eat cheetos and play video games in your parents garage?

Just remember that very, very, very few people make a decent living from fishing tournaments

Then again,,, there's always the succes story of someone who lived out of their car for ten years eating nothing but top ramen and left over donoughts only to become a super star...

all said and done... I'd be willing to bet about 99% of guys in your situation would be way better off prioritizing school and working towards getting a decent job...... there should still be plenty of time for fishing on breaks and weekends... besides you'll need a good job to afford a new boat and a few swimbaits
finatical

Post by finatical »

Chris,

You should have a plan B in mind in the event Plan A (Bass Pro) doesn't pan out. I would equate it to being a professional athlete. It is a like a pyramid with only a select few making it at the top pro level. If a future athlete were fortunate enough to go through a college system, he better have actually learned something (Plan B) in case he did not suceed at the next level (Plan A-Pro athlete).

Your thoughts about persuing college at a later time is based on your situation now. As you get older, most people get more responsiblities (job, wife, kids, cars, home, bass boat etc) we call life that makes it very difficult to persue college.

For what its worth, finish w/ school and get that degree (Plan B). Then go out and give 100% to be a successful pro bass fisher (Plan A). No regrets.

So on a side note, how do you afford to go to college and have a bass boat, tow rig and gear to compete in tourneys? Just curious.

Good Luck.
Work hard fish harder!
chris_hughes

Post by chris_hughes »

I was hoping to get the responses I did. I remember a few months back an article in BassWest about Brent Ehler, it was a Q & A and some of the questions were talking about school. I know since I have been 12 that bass fishing is the best sport in the world, and everyone outside the sport doesn't understand it. Last semester I did what was suppose to be a 8 minute presentation on Bass fishing and the life of touring anglers. Needless to say that presentation turned into about a half hour long of questions after all was said and done. Like most of realize once you have the bug its easy to be blinded by what should be priority #1 but as hard as it is I know that school should come first. Like I said I'm extremely great full that this semester I lucked out and will have the opportunity to fish all the tournaments I planned to.

Finatical you had asked how I afford college, I receive federal financial aid as well as book vouchers from EOPS through school, its helps out alot but like most college kids I'm broke most of the time but somehow seem to spend plenty of money on fishing stuff. I don't have a bass boat and for the most part not in the market for one right now, I would love to have one but as of right now would rather focus on having a good year fishing the stren series. Thanks again guys for the responses just makes me a little more at ease.

Chris
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Education, education, education. Any responsible adult would tell you, get your degree. For that matter, any half minded adolescent would tell you to get your degree. Patience is something you learn thru life's experience. I fully understand chasing dreams. That is what bass fisherman are made of. On the other hand, very few will ever reach the pinnacle of Skeet or Aaron.

I didnt start Bass Fishing until, 30...I spent 15 years trading bonds for an asset managment company, am 39 and now fish full time with way less risk than most 20 year olds. You have your whole life ahead of you. Dont make a bad decision today with so much time to reap the downfall.

Am I living the dream, yes but with a decent amount of money in the bank, a wife that fishes and agreed to no children, and only a mortgage in debt and nothing else. Boats are paid for, truck paid for etc...

I understand wanting it all now. I had 7 people that worked for me all making close or over 6 figure incomes. All the same with a different dream. They are still plugging away. Some with million dollar mortgages others without. There is always time in this sport to make it. Dont start when you are 60, but dont throw away the best opportunities in life either.

Let me make this very clear. For anyone to throw away an education for fishing is just plain stupid! Yes I mean that with every breath I hold. You never can go back, just move forward.

I only post about my own success in an effort to motivate you thinking about giving it all up for a dream. Yes, I gave up a huge income in chase of the dream, but I can still support my family, live the dream and not eat mac and cheese every night.

Take care
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

Smitty, what is your degree in?
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I have a B.S. in business admin.
Bassman35

Post by Bassman35 »

just a side ? How does th NCAA feel about making money on the sport for college? How is it that people can fish tournaments and still be eligible for college. I have heard of basketball players becoming ineligible for taking money in a pick up game.
Bryan Cox
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The NCAA only regulates sports that it has programs in. You can be a division one football player, arm restling on the weekends and have no conflict even if you make 100k arm wrestling. At least that is the rules when I was in college.
Smitty
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Even College coaches shirk when players leave without their degree. Once you have that degree nailed down you are proffessionaly removing "regret" another voice that could be in the back of your mind tearing up your fishing.

If I were you and had the opportunity to finish college then go pro I would do it in that order. Having an education will only serve you better finanially with your sponsors, its that old addage all things are equal (so you fish just as good as the next pro) what seperates you or makes you attractive to your sponsors?

Only you can decide it, however Chris I would venture to say you already know your answer and you are looking for encouragment...to stay in school
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This is how serious I am about education. The first college student in a four year program at an accredited university that sends me proof (transcripts) of a better than 3 point average on a five point scale, that wants to fish an flw stren tournnament as a co angler gets two prefish days and the tournament entry fee paid for.
Smitty
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

Smitty,
That is beyond admirable. Sure makes me wish I would have entered college this semester. I hope someone takes you up on that!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Not admirable. Just a big point I am trying to make when it comes to education. Life is short and being educated opens alot of doors. That is what the point is. I am not rich by any means. I worked for the guy that owns The Brewers that is wealthy. But I feel very stongly about education and feel the sport will be bigger an better with educated individuals represnting bass fishing.
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Hate me if you want but I believe collage is for people who can’t make their real dream happen.

There are people out there your age that will never even consider a moment away from perusing there true love, if you want to beat them you better give it everything you can muster.

You need to decide if you want to be better than KVD or in your case Greg G Jr. if so buy some peanut butter a van to sleep and tow in & with and fish long and often, if your cool with being a local pro or maybe a Lee, Tosh, or Reynolds finish school, fish when you can and hope for the best.

Only you (with help from those you love) can make this decision
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Smitty wrote:. I am not rich by any means.

I'm plum dumb confused now if your not Rich then who the heck are ya? Damn, I wish I would have finished dat dere college edumacation.
Links to Check Out -
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I am rich, but not weathy. Come on SOCB you know me and know what I am about. Life is short but dont waste it.
Smitty
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

just playn Rich - work hard play hard I know what your all about.

http://www.rich-smith.com/index.html

or is it

http://richsmith.com/index.html

You decide...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant wait to get my boy up to your big pond and show him fishing Clear Lake style!
Links to Check Out -
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That is being a moron. Yes I mean that. I grew up a regular middle class kid. You dont have to be college educated to be smart but in this day and age you gotta have it to put yourself in a position to do well if you are a bass fisherman, an auto mechanic, a construction worker. You gotta have it period. Look at the stats. A college educated individual earns 30 percent more right out of school. How can you denoucne that?
Smitty
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Joe,
Do you realize, Mike I has a degree? For anyone to suggest that some should forego college to fish is not sane. The world has changed. So what you can catch fish. How can you market my product. How well can you represent my company. Getting in the door that is the hardest part. Sure it looks great from the outside, sacrafice means alot, but at the end of the day, an edcuated PRO makes way more than the peanut butter eating, sleeping in the truck guy. For every than lee (I love this guy, talks to me every tournament) there are a thousand warren wymans, etc...than is a great guy with an awesome personality and a work ethic that is insane. That is how he scrapes by. I am by no way saying you have to have a degree to make it but...do the math it makes sense. Fortunately, I was a baseball player, learned from those that made it, and those that didnt, and those that didnt who finished school made it bigger than those bailed out. Different sport, same results.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Sounds similar to the dilemma this kid is facing.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Stay in school. Chasing the fishing dream sounds glamorous but for every person I know who has made it, I know of 25 who didn't.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Smitty wrote:I has a degree?
Irony at it's best!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

So what I missed a period. Mike I. has a degree. meaning Mike Ike has a degree. You knew what I meant. Maybe just another uneducated cleare lake fool who thinks he can make a living fishin.
oakie joe

Post by oakie joe »

i am in the same deal this year. i qualified to fish the bass federation nation divisionals and was worried that they would land on finals week. i just found out that finals is a week before the tourny. to say i am stoked is an understatement. it would have been heart breaking to not be able to fish that tournament.
Terry

Post by Terry »

As an undergraduate, I figure that fishing cost me about a grade point. And I ain't that smart to begin with. When I went back to grad school my newly-minted wife explained that I would study or not go fishing. Always the little boy...

If you are using fishing as a means to dodge college, you're making a mistake in logic. You NEED college to be a bass pro. It's all business anyway.

Dayumm, Smitty, that was generous of you! Of course back in the day I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of something like that anyway because I didn't have a 3.0, and BASS was only three years old!

Go Aztecs!

Terry
Civil Servant
Dewayne

Re: It's not a sport where your body is worn out at 30

Post by Dewayne »

You have a lot of time to case the dream. Enjoy your life, go to college and get a degree, chase some girls cause you do not find a lot on the circuits, and then marry one who can carry a good job with benefits. Now you are ready to be a bass pro once you pay off the student loans, get a truck, and a new boat.

I do not believe Skeet has a degree and he makes about as must as one can at fishing. There are a lot of others on the tour who have attended college and worked carreers till they made the big time. Of course there is something to be said for having to make it cause you have no other options. You are forced to do whatever it takes to succeed. Some have succeeded this way. On the other hand the safer college route gives you something to fall back on should you stumble along the way.

It is your choice, but also consider what you miss out on by not attending college.
Dewayne
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Lets look at it from another sports perspective. For every K Bryant, there is a hundred or hundred thousand wanna be's. Sure he didnt go to college, but name how many NBA players that did and how many that didnt.
Smitty
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Just my opinion and experience, I dropped out of high school to race mx. Went to the highest level on the planet. Broke 30 bones and had to give it up. Along the way I learned about hard work and how to make it. Never got rich but after mx I did make 70 thousand a year, more than most of the collage folks around me and I get to die happy, knowing I gave all I had to the sport I loved. Had I not gone to one race or just had a little luck that day I might have made it big. I’m now very happy and can look back completely satisfied with my life. Had I followed traditional wisdom finished school and went on to collage I would always wonder what if and don’t think I would be as happy. Again don’t be stupid and throw caution to the wind I’m only one opinion but I am very happy with my life. Probably more so than most collage people making more than me.
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Been there done that. I started fishing BASS during my third year at UC Davis. The first two years in college I traveled the north and south of WON BASS, West Coast Bass, and Anglers Choice as an AAA. I also fished a lot of team tournaments.

I was invited to fish the BASS TOP 150 my senior year in college and declined the invite to finish college. Many of my Profs would allow me to change my final or mid-term dates. I also drove trucks in the summer to support my habit.

OK-I just read Joe Bruse’s statement and decided to add my 2 cents:

First of all I do not agree with him at all! This bass fishing thing has never been a poor mans game and it will never be!

I traveled back east with a well known bass pro the first two years of his BASS career. I was still in college. Let me just say that I got to see the good, the bad and the ugly. It really changed my view of the business side of bass fishing. This was back when it only cost $12,000 to fish the BASS national tour. Now it's about $55,000.

Most (90 percent) national pros are one bad year from filing a BK. It is much better to have something to fall back on than not to. Most don't hae heath care or a retirement system. Follow your heart and talk to as many guys that really do this before you make a decision.

My college experience was some of the best years of my life. My second year in college I drew a very wealthy man at Lake Oroville that asked me what I wanted to be after college. My reply was to be a Bass pro. He asked me what the hell they were teaching me in college. This person went on to be a mentor who took me under his wing and taught me about money, business and fishing.

There are many paths to the same place. There are no wrong paths. Follow your heart and trust you instincts. I have had my opportunities to fish nationally and don’t have any regrets about finishing college or not going to fish the Elites. Plus, I really love what I do for work when I am not fishing. It doesn’t hurt that I make decent money and have all the time off to fish any tournament that I want.

I now have a BA, MA and plan to enroll in a PHD program by the end of the year. I have done this while at the same time fishing more pro level tournaments than the average person.
Last edited by Ricky-S on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Smitty wrote:So what I missed a period. Mike I. has a degree. meaning Mike Ike has a degree. You knew what I meant. Maybe just another uneducated cleare lake fool who thinks he can make a living fishin.
Ohhh. It was funny the way it came out though. Sorry. ;-) Not quite sure what the rest of your message meant.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="Joe Bruce"]Just my opinion and experience, I dropped out of high school to race mx. Went to the highest level on the planet. Broke 30 bones and had to give it up. Along the way I learned about hard work and how to make it. Never got rich but after mx I did make 70 thousand a year, more than most of the collage folks around me and I get to die happy, knowing I gave all I had to the sport I loved. Had I not gone to one race or just had a little luck that day I might have made it big. I’m now very happy and can look back completely satisfied with my life. Had I followed traditional wisdom finished school and went on to collage I would always wonder what if and don’t think I would be as happy. Again don’t be stupid and throw caution to the wind I’m only one opinion but I am very happy with my life. Probably more so than most collage people making more than me.[/quote]

So JOE, That means you are still making $70 k, a year doing what it was and still is that you have always dreamed of in a job or career that has no set limits ? Even after dropping out and quiting, and on top of that , Breaking 30 bones? :shock:

That my friend means YOU are living the American Dream, Hey why not all of us just drop out , quit and do what ever the heck we want, and we will be just as fortunate or as lucky as you?

I mean its not about hard work or perceverence that keeps us in what we choose is life. So in that case the surgeon who just operated on my son was not living his dream at all. After all he wanted to really dedicate his life to running marathons, but instead he stayed in school, went into college, and then later graduated from medical school, tens of thousand of dollars in dept. Just so he could have a back up plan?

Sorry fella but that is a boat load of crap. Your attitude went out the window in the 60's Tune in, Drop out, Peace, Love & Dope along with Timothy Leary.

My son had a dream too, although he loved to Bass Fish & thought about being a pro one day. But thank god saw the writing on the wall early and stayed in school, graduated from college and now is living his dream after all the hard work and sweat of getting a collage education. He has a good job with the county, benefit and is working towards a very good future. He just turned 27 and is planning in getting married this July. It has always been about getting and education and not about getting street smarts, that separates him from the others.

Simple Question Joe? When you were in the Hospital from those 30 broken bones, Who did you want setting those bones, A Dr with a Medical degree or some guy who just dropped out and quit ?

Yeah! I didn't think so :D
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
thejerbs

Post by thejerbs »

smitty...does being a fall 07' graduate w/ a 3.45 count :lol:

I finally finished college this december after dropping a fullride to move out of Alaska to pursue the "dream" of Skateboarding. I did that full time for two years then started putting myself through college while continuing to skateboard. I still had time plenty of time to shoot photos and videos, but as soon as I was asked to go on tours I had to decline and from then on I have just skated for fun.

I picked up bass fishing last year, but caught the fever so bad that my parents hooked me up with a boat for finally graduating. I already know that I am not going to be able to fish as much as I did while I was in school once I find the job I really want.

So Chris, I would suggest taking full advantage of those grants, cause I know I did :D, and finish school while making bass fishing work AROUND your school schedule. Once your done with school you will have something to be very proud of that no one can take away.

Good luck buddy!
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/lobsteeze/putitdown.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bassturdz.com]bassturdz.com!!![/url]
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="thejerbs"]smitty...does being a fall 07' graduate w/ a 3.45 count :lol:

I finally finished college this december after dropping a fullride to move out of Alaska to pursue the "dream" of Skateboarding. I did that full time for two years then started putting myself through college while continuing to skateboard. I still had time plenty of time to shoot photos and videos, but as soon as I was asked to go on tours I had to decline and from then on I have just skated for fun.

I picked up bass fishing last year, but caught the fever so bad that my parents hooked me up with a boat for finally graduating. I already know that I am not going to be able to fish as much as I did while I was in school once I find the job I really want.

So Chris, I would suggest taking full advantage of those grants, cause I know I did :D, and finish school while making bass fishing work AROUND your school schedule. Once your done with school you will have something to be very proud of that no one can take away.

Good luck buddy![/quote]

Well finally some one who has the common sense enough to know when the paint is dry.

Good for you young man!!!! NOW You are starting to see for your self what its all about with BOTH eyes open. So at the end of the day you can look at that degree with a lot of pride and realize that it was worth all the effort. Not to say life will be easy, but at least you have the means to open the doors that for far to many would be shut. Wise choose fella, Keep it up :wink:
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
kylebass91

Post by kylebass91 »

Allright Chris stay in school......Yes im telling you to...im 16 and still have two years of high school left. but let me tell you 99.9% of bass fisherman dont make just there money fishing they have to sell themselves....sorry but true...if bass fishing is something that you truly truly love like the majority of people on this site of course...stay in school and get a business degree or something around those lines....with that you could open a shop that carries everything you could possibly need and know what your talking about....you stay with the sport you love and i can say for certain you'll get out on the water more...... just stay and get something out of college

just my .02

-Kyle "Bass" Stinnett
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Chris

In my humble opinion-FINISH THE SCHOOLING NOW. It's a lot harder to get back into the school routine, then it would a fishing routine.

You know a little of my story. I had the world all figured out and had some decent role models as well. I had it all planned out.

It's 35 years later-I never made it back to school.

There's no guarantees that a college degree will make everything better. I can guarantee that it will open doors that I can't open, no matter how smart I think I am :lol: .

You've been given some great advice here. What ever you decide I wish you success.

We got to get out there soon, February is right around the corner.
I had to come back...I know...
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Chris,

In all seriousness you know me and if you want to talk offline please give me a call anytime. I am with Rich "Smitty" on this one, you are almost done with school and will have the rest of your life to follow your dream.

If your struggling give me a call my cell number is on the club roster

jonathan
Links to Check Out -
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

You are lucky your almost done taking finals because you can graduate and go fishing. Next time i graduate i will be on my way to college and having to make the same choice :cry:
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Simple Question Joe? When you were in the Hospital from those 30 broken bones, Who did you want setting those bones, A Dr with a Medical degree or some guy who just dropped out and quit ?

some people have the dream of being a Dr. I more than most thank them.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

And to think I was just proud that Liberty High School handed me my my diploma with a 1.89 g.p.a. Image

Guess they did not want me back again for another year. :idea: :lol:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Hey Chris,
Yes bass fishing is fun and there is the potential for making some serious money, but c'mon school is important.
I bass fish as much as I can, but I am also a graduate student, and frankly I try really hard to not let fishing impact the schooling.

I can tell that you have certainly worked your butt off to balance the two, taking finals early and all, and thats cool! and even more so if you are studious enough to do well in your classes while still finding time for fishing, especially at a level much more demanding than just fishing for fun.

I'm not really one with the desires for tournament angling, but I do appreciate the fact that if I was, I would have some nice accolades to fall back on instead of just "I was a fisherman for the past 5 years." That'll land you a job making minimum wage at the Wal-mart sporting goods counter! :P

So all I can say is that find yourself and educational goal to reach in some field that you would NOT hate, and then think about fishing.... Yeah it would be cool to be some hot young-gun out on the tournament circuit, but there are plenty of them old guys doing good to.

Just my 2 and good luck with early finals and the Stren Events!

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Smitty wrote:This is how serious I am about education. The first college student in a four year program at an accredited university that sends me proof (transcripts) of a better than 3 point average on a five point scale, that wants to fish an flw stren tournnament as a co angler gets two prefish days and the tournament entry fee paid for.
Smitty
Go to college, fishing can come after or during!
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Sounds to me like you have it backward. In my opinion you should be thinking I can put off fishing for a couple of years. You will need your education no matter what you decide to do.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Finish school Chris.....I went back to get a master degree at 27 with a family. :shock: That was the hardest time of my life because of family life, and i had a very supportive wife. Stay home, get a masters and fish in between. Chase that dream later. You will only hear chase the dream and college later from people who dropped out and were still able to pull it off. You wont hear anything from the people that regret doing something like that. College isnt for everyone but it sounds like it is for you.
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

An ol' fisherman once told me "IT"S A LOT EASIER TO FISH WITH MONEY THAN IT IS TO FISH FOR MONEY"!

Be the best you can be in the classroom, then in business, then on the water, in that order!

Hardshell
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Man Harshell, that sounds just like the advice that my old buddy Sal gave me back in the day when I was going through this exact situation. You've got to love experience.

Boy am I glad that I came to a better understanding of what he meant.
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Chris, please listen to this advice. When I was faced with the same decision as you, I chose fishing. For a long time it seemed as if it was a great choice. I was chasing my dream, I met a great gal and later made her my wife. She had her degree and I was set on going back and finishing mine, maybe during the summers etc. As fate would have it I soon got the break I had been waiting for, I strung together a great series of tournaments and had a nice bankroll. I was now living out my dream as a full time Bass fisherman and today I still am. Believe me, I thank God every day for this opportunity. However, I have learned about the struggles that most will never experience or understand. I now have gotten to the point in life that was hard for me to see just a few short years ago. My family and our future is more important to me than my career or anything else for that matter. I've got my first child due in April, and I couldn't be more excited. As I say that I also realize that a great struggle awaits me. For the first time in my life, I have to face the reality that the situation could arises where my fishing career is just to difficult to continue while raising my child and being there to see her grow up. Whats so scary now is that I don't have my degree and I can't see any feasible way to go back now. Not only that, but because I didn't finish my degree my options are very limited in what I will ever be able to do. I can't explain the kind of pressure you feel and put on yourself in this situation. But I can tell you when you're fishing for a living and your family(which you will most likely have at some point) depends on you, your priorities need to be in order. If they aren't you won't be able to fish with a clear conscience. Jim Reese who has been the model for consistency the last 3 years is a great example of this. If you ever get an opportunity to, ask him how much his career changed once he got his priorities in order, you might be surprised.
Having said all that, there are more opportunities today than there ever have been, and there will be even more this time next year. There are many anglers right now laying the foundation for the rest of us to be able to achieve our dreams. We should all be grateful for the KVDs, IKEs, Skeets, and Quinns of the industry. Their personalities have put bass fishing on the map, like it or not. But even today with the opportunities we have, the deck is still stacked against us in the West.
From my own personal experience in order to make a living in this industry you need a college education with at least a minor in marketing. If you don't have that, you'd better find something else to fall back on, before trying to chase your dream. I hope this helps you make the best decision for yourself and your future. If you choose college, I promise you, your chances of making it as a professional bass angler will increase exponentially.

Chris and all others in the same situation, I wish you the best in making the first of many tough decisions and sacrifices.

Mike Tuck

Hydrate2o
Centennial Batteries
Toyota
Limit Lures
Powell co.
Capitol City Marine
Ranger Boats
Canyon Plastics
Smith Optics
Rio Vista Bait and Tackle
Ricky-S

Way to go Mike

Post by Ricky-S »

Well said Mike.

Thanks for sharing the real side of this sport that we all love and chase after.