Hip-replacement report!

Larry Hemphill

Hip-replacement report!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I really appreciated all the good wishes from everyone on the forum as I underwent my 2nd hip replacement two weeks ago. I am now "out of original issue hips" and am totally titanium now!! The airport screeners will love me! Thirty plus years in a bass boat before all the improvements (like recessed trolling motor pedal) took its toll on my right hip and I had it replaced 26 months ago. I was really surprised that I started having trouble with my left hip last fall - since I don't use my left side nearly at much as my right. Rather than wait and put up with any more pain, I decided to take care of it quickly and surgery happened on Feb 26th. It was done by the same doctor at the same hospital. Dr. Umber (my doctor) does the hips and his partner Dr. Koon does knee replacements. They work out of St Elizabeth hospital in Red Bluff, and are pioneers in this type of surgery - simply among the best!! The hospital is wonderful too. My surgery was around 9 am and they had me up walking around 5 pm. I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight, but simply amazing!!!!! I took a longer walk the next day and was released about 3 that afternoon. Total hospital time - about 32 hours! I have been walking without a walker for the past 3 days (carefully) and doing all my exercises faithfully. A physical therapist works with me at home for a few minutes every 2 or 3 days. Some guys have asked me about the proceedure since my first one and a few have had the surgery with great success. Hopefully I will be able to fish with friends in another 7 days or so and I will be able to resume guiding during the second week of April. I hope everyone has saved me a few!!! If I can answer any questions about the whole process, don't hesitate to email or call me. Calling is best since it is easier to cover everything at once. 530 674-0276. I am very grateful to the medical community and for the wonderful corrective proceedures that are available today. As I mentioned in the Gary Dobyns post, do what the doctors and physical therapists tell you. Being "macho" will not speed the healing process!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Hip-replacement report!

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Glad to hear the great news of your progress Larry..Now all you have to do is get back on the water and catch a few..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Glad to hear things are going well Larry !! See you on the pond soon :)
Kurt
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Great news Larry ! :o Miguel and I wish a speedy recovery , but sounds like your already on your way ! Talk to you soon !
~ Tony
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

i had no idea you could start walking so soon after the surgery. Great news Larry. Glad all went well. Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

You've been there done that so I can't tell you anything except plow ahead with life! It's been 5 weeks yesterday since my left hip was replaced and like you I'm still in awe at the medical care I recieved and the relative ease of my recovery. In and out surgery, very little pain medication, walking without support, hell I even traveled to Bakersfield the Saturday after my surgery to a boat show where I purchased my new boat! I fished from the back of my team partners boat the first time on the 4th of March, only because I sold my old boat and the new one hasn't come in yet. Last Saturday my partner and I fished our first tournament since my surgery and even though we sucked it was great to feel that rush of competition! Larry, good luck and continued good recovery. As the Ol' saying goes "ENJOY LIFE this is not a DRESS REHEARSAL"!

Seeya
Steve Greene
aka Hardshell
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Good to hear that Larry. And you are so right on following Dr and therapists directions. Do the exercise's and always think positive. In short order tight lines. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Larry,
It is great that you are home with no complications! Good luck in your recovery. With hip replacement when one is done many times the second is done as well. You don't realize the other is bad until the one that really hurts is replaced. You quickly realize how much pain you were living with :x . Get well soon.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

Get well soon. I miss your Clear Lake reports. Heading up with my kids on Monday. Had to go into the archives. How about a "What would Larry do?" report.

Mike
I know you are but what am I?
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Glad you are doing Larry,get well soon so you can go out and get those mommas.
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

Great news Larry!! get well soon
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Great news Larry! Hope you get back on the water ASAP!

.....NaCl
jwerner

Post by jwerner »

Larry,

32 hrs...That's amazing. Good luck with therapy -

Jon Werner
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Hey Larry, when my brother got his hip replacement he asked the doctor about walking. The doctor said, "Walk until you're tired."

My brother asked, "Then how will I get home? Shouldn't I walk just until I'm half tired then turn around?"

The doctor told my mom to walk 5 mies a day. A week later she was 35 miles from home and no one knew where the hell she was. Those doctors aren't so smart.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

Titanium is non magnetic, you probably won't set off metal detectors :)

Congrats on the successful surgery, and best wishes for the future!
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
nipples

Post by nipples »

Get well soon Larry... You are missed... Please let us know when you are back to guiding... I wish you a pain-free easy recovery.

-Paul-
Do it like no one is watching...
george

Post by george »

Larry, Great to hear you are feeling better! As soon as your up to it give me a call and come down to the delta, if your watching the FLW they are killing em here and i think its only going to get better.
I also have a lake off the beaten path that you might enjoy; you can make use of your big fish talents on this one.
george 209-402-2284
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

well done larry...heal quick and get back on the water ASAP
ERICK PRADO...Peace