Trolling Motor??????

Doug Hodel

Trolling Motor??????

Post by Doug Hodel »

OK Fished the Delta yesterday and was really frustrated. I had an area that was holding a good amount of fish, but because my trolling motor died so soon I couldn't hold my boat position because of the wind.

I have a motorguide 67# thrust, new batteries, but they went south quickly.

I think it was the wind and the current.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Marty

Re: Trolling Motor??????

Post by Marty »

Don’t fight it, go with it! Just change up your offering that fits the strong wind and current.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Almost same problem as I have a 67 # motor guide and it just don't do it on the delta with the wind and current, Running it on an 18' champ . Would like to go with an 82 # on 24 volt sys as no room for another battery to run 36 volts.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

I swapped a Maxxum 74 with a Digital Motorguide 82 and couldn't be happier. The batteries last much longer, seems that there is still a lot of juice at the end of the day unlike the MK.

Boat is a Champion 181.
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

It is possible that if you got new batteries you got a bad one. If they sit on the shelf to long they can wear down. Check the water in the batteries to make sure it is high enough.
need_a_kicker

Post by need_a_kicker »

I have had that happen also, so I just order a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 80. It should be here this week.

Thanks,

Kicker
Ally03 200xs

Post by Ally03 200xs »

You might want to try one of these on board chargers:

http://www.stayncharge.com/products.htm
http://www.stealth1charging.com/index.html

I personally use the stealth but have heard good things about both of these.
Airing out my Ally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OInztCPFKAA
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

Gene at the hook recommended to me to go with the Delco AC 30's, there a heavy battery so you will lose some speed on the boat but i havent ran them empty yet. I have fished 2 day tourneys on the delta without a charge in between days and still havent ran it down. I also switched to the MotorGuide 82 digital which used 30% less power then a standard TM.
LL
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Check all of the battery connections. One loose connection can keep the battery from charging all the way. I would start there. Even with wind and current, you should get nearly a full day out of properly charged batteries. :D