Have you Been Cited?

deltabassangler

Have you Been Cited?

Post by deltabassangler »

My Partner got cited for forgetting the license at home. A day in court plus 100 clams to show the judge the license. OUCH!
Burke

Re: Have you Been Cited?

Post by Burke »

Came close one time. I was cat fishing from the bank on the Sacramento River and had my fishing license in my tackle box next to me. I was watching this guy cruise toward me in a jet ski and it wasn't until he was close that I noticed he has a sidearm. He was a deputy sheriff and part of his responsibility was to cruise the river and check fishermen for their license. That's when I learned I had to always wear my license. We had a nice discussion about his work and he let me off with a warning.

About 20 years earlier, we were fishing a remote spot and one of my fishing buddies decided to get some food. He was just leaving as a game warden arrived. The game warden checked those of us that were still fishing and then left. We found out later that he drove after my other fishing buddy who was going for food and stopped him. He didn't have his license and was cited.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

I was ... my license was in my glove box. But the warden didn't care. $300 ticket, showed up in court, judge knocked it down to $100 after i showed him I had a license. Expensive lesson! Wear your license!
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
shifterpilot2001

Post by shifterpilot2001 »

What a crock ! Gimmie a break, it's all about generating fee's... there is no reason I \ we shouldnt be able to fish all day on my \ our boat, with my \ our license in my \ our boat glovebox! or fish off my \ our own personal pier with my license in my house, or in my tackle box.. The facts are... I \ we paid our yearly fee's, with todays technology, that information should be in a statewide database, online, with 8 mbs access... real quick and easy to setup, hell I bet it already is in a database.... If the guys in the brown trucks can utilize that kind of technology, why cant the State? That way when one loses that precious piece of paper, they dont have to pay again to keep fishing...Or when I fall in the lake again, I dont have to pay to get another copy...LMAO !!! I'm sure I will get some ill responses to this, but there are far more important people to be issuing citations to, than the guy who's license is 5' away, or the man who went to the store to get food for himself..... Dont get me wrong, Im all for enforcement of necessary measures, its the frivilous charges that are unnecessary. my .02

Mike Conser
hydrate2o

Post by hydrate2o »

I agree, if you have it with you I personally think that is all that should be needed. It is getting ridiculous as to what we have to do in this state. I have lived here 50 years and am very close to going somewhere else. I normally dont post my opinion , but this one bugs the .... out of me.
Life is much to short to get upset over the little things, most things are little.
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I believe the rule is there so that if a warden is going down the bank of let say a busy river and there are forty fisherman there he won't have to stop at everyone of them and ask them for their license. I agree with you that it is weak that if your license is close to you that they would still issue you a ticket.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Your buddy is lucky that he can produce the license at home. I was fishing with a boater who "forgot" his license (couldnt find the receipt) and got busted for our five fish limit, as well as no license I believe the citation cost was around 1500.00

As for wearing a licesne, we all know the law and we do what we do with that info. If I see a warden or sherrif boat out and about I will pull mine out of the glove box and sling it around my neck.

This is so that a ranger can sit back with binoc's and check licenses of a few people instead of running from boat to boat. but its a pain in da azz for us!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
GW

Post by GW »

...and right after this we will all start wearing our drivers licenses on our left arm so they can been seen by law enforcement as they pass you.....ya like thats a goos idea!
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

shifterpilot,
Now i will confess upfront that i dont wear my license 90% of the time. i do on certain lakes knowing I'm being watched, but generally, my license is at hands reach, on my boat, in my day box.

i don't always follow the law, but thats my choice, and i know the consequences. Yet i am not against the law, nor do i disagree with it. i understand its rationale & importance to everyday enforcement agents and respect that.

So, here is my question - why does wearing your license bring such a negative and harsh response from so many fisherman? is it really unreasonable to wear your license?

You dont hesitate to display your boat registration and current tag on the outside of your boat? You routinely put license tags on your truck, trailer,and whatever, and every year go out there and put a new colored sticker on it to show you are registered and compliant. i agree, we dont display our drivers license, so that is an argument against it, but for the most part we do this on everything else already.

Why does wearing your fishing license, so enforcement agents can quickly identify that you are in compliance, have to be anything different than those examples above? Can you imagine the CHP having to pull over every car, every day, just to check and see if you have a registration for your car?

i 100% agree it would suck if you got stopped and asked, and was able to show your license, and still got a ticket vs. just a stern warning. That does suck, but it doesnt sway my opinion about the reason and logic behind the law; its just the consequence for disobeying the law.

What do you say?

Good Luck,

Kopper_Bass
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

If the reason for the law is to allow a ranger to view it from afar ( say more than a few feet) it is out of touch with the times. Most license holders show only a partial view of the license and even if they did show the whole license, how hard would it be to slap it on a little color copier and cut it out? No one could tell it apart, unless they could read it.

I think it is meant to catch licensed anglers in a little trap. If someone is going to poach, it is pretty easy to fake a license to fool a ranger from afar.

We have a lot bigger problem with motorists driving w/out DLs than anglers w/out fishing licenses.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

When you go in for your id to be inprinted on your forehead, just remember its a fashion statement, not a prelude to ? One step at a time we're led down the path.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Scott L wrote:If the reason for the law is to allow a ranger to view it from afar ( say more than a few feet) it is out of touch with the times. Most license holders show only a partial view of the license and even if they did show the whole license, how hard would it be to slap it on a little color copier and cut it out? No one could tell it apart, unless they could read it.

I think it is meant to catch licensed anglers in a little trap. If someone is going to poach, it is pretty easy to fake a license to fool a ranger from afar.

We have a lot bigger problem with motorists driving w/out DLs than anglers w/out fishing licenses.

I bet the fine for that would be quite severe if you were to get caught. :cry:

I just pay for a license and then display it above my waist anytime I have a pole in my hand and i don't seem to get any trouble... :D
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Everyone has there point of view on this one, I fish Clear Lake alot and keep my licence attached to my camera in a dry place in my boat, I have had the Ranger go by me many times and never stop put it may be because I am in a Ranger bass boat and they think if he can afford that he has got to have a licence but I also find Clear Lake police really like the bass anglers, I think they know we are up there producing revenue and not doing crank, that is what the Clear Lake law inforcers are looking for, true law breakers, not the honest fisherman trying to have some fun. I have to say I do grab it when I see them, the problem is I have had it blow off loose it and have it slap me in the face when going 60 mph, it does not feel good.
David 371V Rogers
Vince E

Post by Vince E »

At the risk of speaking for others.... and I apologize in advance should I be mistaken.....

I think much of the animosity is due to the sneaking suspicion that many seemingly petty laws are only put into place to generate revenue by pushing people past their limits of obedience. We can envision lawmakers secretly gathered with behavioral science consultants engineering rules that will be just inconvenient enough to be ignored or disobeyed out of protest yet have just enough teeth in them to illicit a cash response when one finds themselves in the intimidating presence of a judge.

OK, that last part was a bit paranoid but it gets the point across.

As federal and state budgets decline we may see even more of this as local agencies are left struggling to finance themselves.

I have the utmost respect for the men and women out there on the streets and on the water trying to maintain order in a largely unruly world. However I do have some concerns about the pressure they may receive from above to keep the money coming in. Will serious crimes be given a lower priority than easy citations?

Just my thoughts.
Phil

Re: Have you Been Cited?*NM*

Post by Phil »

Just got back from Mexico....I think they almost got it right........whatever you can get away with without killing someone. No polution laws, no speeding laws. So on and so on..........why they want to come over the border and be taxed to death and told what to do is way beyond my comprehention .

Jigs
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

The law was passed because there were numerous folks not buying licenses and still fishing. The first year this was in effect DFG noticed a large increase in license sales. I still fall back on the issue that people weren't buying licenses because they weren't getting checked. I fish the delta quite a bit and have for many years yet I can only recall gettng checked twice in close to 20 years. Truth is, if there ain't no law around, nobody will obey the law.
shifterpilot2001

Kopper,

I love a good debate... :wink: ... and one that can do so without ill feelings....

Here's my replies behind each of your questions:

Now i will confess upfront that i dont wear my license 90% of the time. i do on certain lakes knowing I'm being watched, but generally, my license is at hands reach, on my boat, in my day box.

*** I wear mine everytime I am on my boat, or fishing from shore anywhere other than off my pier ***

i don't always follow the law, but thats my choice, and i know the consequences. Yet i am not against the law, nor do i disagree with it. i understand its rationale & importance to everyday enforcement agents and respect that.

*** I agree with you 100 percent here ***

So, here is my question - why does wearing your license bring such a negative and harsh response from so many fisherman? is it really unreasonable to wear your license?

***The negativity and harshness doesnt come from the law itself in most cases, but the fines imposed when someone isnt compliant either by accident or by just choice, whether it be from defiance, inconvenience, or weather related, etc.....And yes, one can argue, break the law, get caught, you pay, but it should be comparable to the infraction, and 3 - 5 hundred buh is very excessive !!! No, it's not unreasonable... ***

You dont hesitate to display your boat registration and current tag on the outside of your boat? You routinely put license tags on your truck, trailer,and whatever, and every year go out there and put a new colored sticker on it to show you are registered and compliant. i agree, we dont display our drivers license, so that is an argument against it, but for the most part we do this on everything else already.

***Cant really compare those two to a fishing license... they are a sticker you put on once a year... the license is a several times a week thing, if not many times a day, your bound to forget now and then, as we all do... when the State issues a sticker for my license, I \ we would put it on... in fact that makes alot of sense... when you buy your license, your given 2 stickers along with license to put on your boat... :idea: End of problem while on your boat...But that makes too much sense for the State to adopt...Oh, and by the way I do hesitate, as long as I can when I buy a used vehicle or boat to do the above....LOL *****

Why does wearing your fishing license, so enforcement agents can quickly identify that you are in compliance, have to be anything different than those examples above? Can you imagine the CHP having to pull over every car, every day, just to check and see if you have a registration for your car?

*** Again, its not the law so much as the unreasonable fines.... and as far as the CHP and vehicle registration, far more important than a fishing license... basically a fishing license is just a tax for a luxury recreation... registration on a vehicle is important in so many ways, its not just about having paid the fees... and because of that, the DMV utilizes the technoogy I spoke of prior, as does the CHP, Police, Sheriff, etc... Cant compare the importance of the two... ***

i 100% agree it would suck if you got stopped and asked, and was able to show your license, and still got a ticket vs. just a stern warning. That does suck, but it doesnt sway my opinion about the reason and logic behind the law; its just the consequence for disobeying the law.

***Just because it's a law, doesnt mean its reasonable.... as are the case with many of them... unfortunately many laws are passed just because they know it will generate huge fee's from forgetfullness or one's belief that it's against thier civil rights...case in point seatbelt law... if it truly was for the safety of our people, then there would be seatbelts in school buses !!! No matter what it costs to upgrade the buses, afterall the kids are important, arent they?***

What do you say?

I say the State needs to provide us with stickers for our boats....

Mike Conser
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I don't think a poacher cares much about the extra fine for the license infraction. The fine for exceeding a limit or size restrictions would be much higher. Heck, they could just wear the holder with a piece of paper the same color and say it was a necklace!

Imagine if you had to wear your DL above your waist when driving. If someone could not get a DL they would wear a facsimile to avoid being pulled over.

The law is being used as a revenue source. We already pay very high license fees and then get a ticket for $300-500 for having it in your wallet or tackle box, unless the judge lets you off with a $100 reduced fine.

The only way a ranger can see if the lic is legit is to read it and look at a stringer or in a livewell. They can't do it from a remote site accurately.

Do we have to obey the law or pay a fine? yes
Is the law stupid? yes

Just because there is a law, doesn't mean it should remain a law. It was misguided in the first place.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I look at it like this. The rangers have better things to do than stop every boat and every bank angler to check licenses. I help them out by displaying mine and not wasting my time or theirs.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

I started a thread earlier in the year about a ticket I got last year at Shadow cliffs.

So far I've taken one day off from work (traffic court), taken a half day off from work (night court) and still have to take a day off next month (trial date) to fight the damn thing. It's funny (not really) to me because I had TWO licences last year. (lost one, bought a new one, found old one) When I got busted, I had been fishing all morning and was taking a break on the shore. All I had was my spinning rod and a bag of worms. My car with BOTH my licenses was less than 50 yds away from me. Officer wouldn't let me go get it.

When I went to traffic court to fight it, the court filled up before I could get a spot. So I had to get a night court date. I went to that, found out my ticket was for MORE than the amount listed on the letter I got. Then I asked the judge to reduce/ throw it out and he knocked $20 off the $210 ticket I got. I said F* that and now have a court date. The rest is TBD.

Bottom line, I could have avoided this HUGE pain in the keister if I had been WEARING my license in the first place.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Are we sure these are “Lawsâ€
Last edited by Marty on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shifterpilot2001

Hey Ldub....

If your going to fight it, there is some verbage in the Code of Regulations as shown below, that is vague and left open to interpretation, and if you plead your case properly, you might be able to get the judge to drop the charges... PM me if your interested in it..

This is a prime case of the letter of the law being held when it should of clearly been waived .... Law or not !
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

What part of this is unclear? Just curious. Only thing I can think of is the "engaged in taking fish" part. I guess if you have none in the well and you don't have a fish on the line at the time you could say you weren't actually engaged in taking any fish. lol

From the DFG site.

Possession and Display of License
Section 700. (Title 14, California Code of
Regulations).
(a) Display of Sport Fishing License: Every
person, while engaged in taking any fish,
amphibian or reptile, shall display their valid
sport fishing license by attaching it to their
outer clothing at or above the waistline so
that it is plainly visible, except when diving
as provided in Section 7145 of the Fish and
Game Code. Persons diving from a boat or
shore may have their license on the boat or
within 500 yards of shore, respectively (see
Fish and Game Code Section 7145).
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

I have been carded for my liscense a handfull of times in my life. I have always had it to show the officer. I never wear it on my sleeve or around my ncek. It may be the law but as long as you are courtious to the officer and show him in a polite way 99 % of them just want to make sure you have it with you. It's a "must be in possesion" law not needed to be in the data base. Wouldnt be a bad idea but for now it is a must be in possesion. The hand full of times I have been checked the officer was happy just to see that I had my parks permit and license and I ALWAYS thanked them for doing their job. I pay my money and so should everyone else. Some guys carry it in their wallet like myself so you never leave home without it

Don Osborne
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
Pat

Post by Pat »

Do I like wearing my license? No, it's a PITA. Do I wear it? sometimes.

On other threads we complain about poachers and people who don't pay their fair share. This law was put in place to deal with that so I guess we can't have it both ways. I heard on the radio yesterday that there are only 200 game wardens Statewide! So something that makes it easier for them to determine if you have a fishing license seems reasonable, even if inconvenient. Are the fines excessive, yeah, probably. Easy to avoid them though.

Pat
Gator

Post by Gator »

I really don't see why everyone has a problem with wearing it. I actually have my clippers on the same lanyard and I make it a point to put it on.

When I run I tuck it in my vest or in a pocket. Not that hard to do.
CN

Post by CN »

I posted earlier in regard's to this subject.I guess I got lucky and the right Warden approached me.He was very nice but I think it was the way I handled it.

I gave him my license before he even said a word and was curtios to him.

But to fine a person who has purchased his license and it's within reach from where your fishing whether it be your glovebox,wallet,tacklebox or your BUTT is really weak.

Dare I say CALIFORNIA :?
Gator

Post by Gator »

Peoples Reupblik.......
photon

Post by photon »

Ya got that right!

I've ranted about this before too. For me it's mainly the fear that I leave it behind if I have it pinned to any peice of clothing. Be it a fishing vest (worn only while fly fishing) or a PFD ( worn only while in the boat) or anything else. I bank fish, I fly fish , I bass fish, I surf fish...you get the idea. I've lost 2 that "were" pinned on me in the same year....since then....

I have the damn thing in my wallet, which is ALWAYS with me.

The law was written by pencil pushing IDIOTS, as most are!

/rant off
biteme

Post by biteme »

I wear mine a lot but not all the time. I was askin buddies if they have ever been checked. I never have! I fish a lot but I guess Ive just never ran into a ranger. I dont agree with the law but that wont change it. So I guess Ill just follow it. :D
jack65274

Post by jack65274 »

....about 2 1/2 years ago I visited the Delta for the first time and hired a well known guide for our first day's fishing. Before I left SoCal I asked my local tackle shop if I needed any additional stamps on my license such as a striper stamp or anything like it and was told no. Should have asked a shop in the Delta area I guess because we didnt know we needed a Delta Enhancement Stamp. Late in the day in the channel the San Joaquin Sherriff's boat approached us for a license check. We all felt calm because we had our licenses but when they asked to see the Delta stamps it was a different story. I thought because we were clearly new to the area, fishing with a guide, were very polite to them, and otherwise acting in a law abiding manner that they would give us a break hopefully. No way! They actually were both pretty rude and seemed to enjoy throwing their authority in our faces. As they wrote the tickets to all three of us they became aware that my fishing partner was a law enforcement officer from SoCal. A few weeks later I got my ticket in the mail but my partner got a note from one of the Sherriff's deputies saying that they had reconsidered and destroyed his ticket! Cost me almost $500.00.
I assume that the guide got his ticket in the mail also just like me. I am a grown man and understand that I had a ticket coming so that is not a problem. I am also a polite person by nature and not one to argue with or give off an attitude to the officer writing my a ticket. But the attitude and arrogance of these two officers really left a bad taste in my mouth about the San Joaquin Sherriff....
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Jack,

I would think that the Guide would have made you aware of any additional needs besides just a fishing license. My other quesiton is why would the guide be cited unless they were without the proper stamp, and if that is the case WHO GUIDES THE DELTA WITHOUT THE PROPER STAMPS?

I would have been a peeved about that experiance for SURE!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
jack65274

Post by jack65274 »

Believe it or not the guide didnt know about the stamp and didnt have one either. Not sure if the stamp was new that year or not. Im sure he was embarrassed about it and otherwise was a great guy and very informative.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Mike,
Thanks for the great replies and conversation. BTW - i surely did not mean that you were replying in a harsh or negative way, just that the topic gets a harsh knock.

I feel ya and can agree with ya that some of it seems petty, but at the end of the day its a simple request that we all can comply with.

my only other comment for all to consider is this: keep in mind that rules are applied to everyone equally (or they should be). the sheriff or DFG out on patrol doesnt know you from the "illegal" out there poaching. So, to them, they have to apply the 300-500 dollar fine equally to everyone who brakes that law; they shouldnt be chosing sides. Everybody (including me) hates when we get caught up in anything because we feel we're one of the good guys. we all hate when we get caught speeding in our car, and we all say it; "man, i was barely over the limit, but there are so many other guys out there flying, why not get them?". It seems like its a general rule of convenience that we all take - laws are important, but they dont apply to me cause i am a "good guy".

I think we all agree that when the DGF truly do catch the "bad" guys out there, $500 bucks for stealing, poaching, and god knows whatever else they're doing illegal, is a drop in the bucket and we would want them to impose even more - heck maybe even jail time.

So, is the fine excessive, i dont think so for the really "bad" guys; it just sucks when one of the good guys also gets accidently tagged in there with them.

Cheers,

Kopper_Bass
kopper_bass

Which came first???*NM*

Post by kopper_bass »

Hey Guys,
Here's a question - everyone is assuming that the law was written in ignorance, and maybe it was, but it stands to reason that hopefully they took "clues" or "guidance" from laws or regulations already in existance that was considered appropriate.

So, here is the question! Which came first; the law that fisherman need to wear their license or the law that Hunters need to display their license?

I personally dont know, but i think its a safe bet that the law for hunters to wear their license was first, and that maybe the law for fisherman to do the same was just an easy carryover from that.

BTW - how much complaining do hunters do for having to comply with such a law? i used to hunt, and never thought twice about doing it. Heck, most every huntiing clothes you buy even comes with pouches or packets just to put your license in. That says a lot to me.

Somthing to consider.

Kopper_Bass
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

CN wrote:I posted earlier in regard's to this subject.I guess I got lucky and the right Warden approached me.He was very nice but I think it was the way I handled it.

I gave him my license before he even said a word and was curtios to him.

But to fine a person who has purchased his license and it's within reach from where your fishing whether it be your glovebox,wallet,tacklebox or your BUTT is really weak.

Dare I say CALIFORNIA :?
I dont' know. I think I read in plain English that you must display your license at all times in clear visibility above the waist, so to get ticketed for ignoring that doesn't strike me as weak.....
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
programgeeks

Post by programgeeks »

I never liked wearing my license around my neck and didn't care to pin it on my shirt sleeve so I used to just keep it with my tackle box. I've been very fortunate that the couple of times I was pulled over the ranger never even said anything to me about not having my license displayed.

But after reading some of the posts here, I will definately start displaying it when I fish just to avoid the potential problems that some of you have faced.
Phil

Post by Phil »

fishing the Triton tournament last October, I was wearing my license around my neck, but forgot to tuck it inside my shirt while traveling from one place to another. When we arrived at a area, I noticed I still had plastic holder around my neck but somehow license had blown out somewhere on the lake. To say the least yes I did quit fishing for the rest of the day would have been against the law. Went to Lakeport that evening and bought a one day license so I could continue the second day. I had left my copy at home. So yes the law is the law, its to bad we don't all live by the law. Why fight it so much and get heartburn, acid reflux, or heart attack !

just my two cents
Jigs
Last edited by Phil on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
programgeeks

Post by programgeeks »

Nicely said, Jigs.
georgecopple

Post by georgecopple »

having to display your license is weak, extremely weak. what are they going to have us do next?...pin our drivers license to our shirt also? i got cited once but i didn't have my license period, i was in my buddies boat and forgot to bring it with me. i paid a $7 court processing fee and that was it. they checked to make sure my license was bought before the ticket, i never saw a judge or anything. this has also happened to a few of my buddies who have done the same thing as me. i guess the guys in norcal are a lot more strict than what we got down here, i guess i'll have mine showing next time i'm at the delta or clearlake. as for down here, i have never had a problem with them coming to the boat, they always ask for my fishing license then i get it for them and they leave me alone.
George Copple

Bass Anglers Guide
HookedUpTackle
Team Fugowee

Post by Team Fugowee »

It's pinned, with 2 pins so it doesn't flap, in a holder on our fishing hats. Off plane on our heads, on plane in the cooler hatch between us. The receipts are in my wallet, along with the weigh slip for the day.
Once at a tournament at Cachuma someone laid them on the rear deck before blast off. When we got to our first spot ... we returned to the marina and got replacements, then started over again.
Usually when I see the MAN all I need to do is point to the license, only one time have I been asked to hand it to them. In this case it was a newbie.
There again we always thank them for their service. Just think of how it would be if they weren't out there!
vinnybass

Post by vinnybass »

What about a sticker for your boat that comes with your fishing license? It ain't perfect but it might help.
Vince Zombro
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

My GF got cited last year on CL. We were fishing on a holiday weekend and she forgot her fishing license in the truck. We were already halfway across the lake and she told me about it and said she wasn't going to fish because she didn't want a ticket. I told her not to worry about it because I'd never been checked at CL.

Sure enough, 20 minutes later, a DFG warden pulls up in a little aluminum boat and asked to see our licenses. My GF got a ticket for not having hers. LOL...I was in trouble for the next week.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Gator wrote:I really don't see why everyone has a problem with wearing it. I actually have my clippers on the same lanyard and I make it a point to put it on.

When I run I tuck it in my vest or in a pocket. Not that hard to do.
I do the same. Got my clippers on the same lanyard and I wear it all the time. Even when filming with little or no intent to fish, I still wear it. Just removes any doubts if approached on the water while filming WesternBass.TV programming.

This is one of those deals, like buckling up in the truck, where it took a little getting used to at first but now, after decades of doing it, its an ingrained practice. Second nature really.

sTony
Norv

Post by Norv »

Phil,

I remember when you lost that license!!!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

No!

I've been lucky so far.
I had to come back...I know...
froteur

Post by froteur »

Tin Can wrote:What part of this is unclear? Just curious. Only thing I can think of is the "engaged in taking fish" part. I guess if you have none in the well and you don't have a fish on the line at the time you could say you weren't actually engaged in taking any fish. lol

From the DFG site.

Possession and Display of License
Section 700. (Title 14, California Code of
Regulations).
(a) Display of Sport Fishing License: Every
person, while engaged in taking any fish,
amphibian or reptile, shall display their valid
sport fishing license by attaching it to their
outer clothing at or above the waistline so
that it is plainly visible, except when diving
as provided in Section 7145 of the Fish and
Game Code. Persons diving from a boat or
shore may have their license on the boat or
within 500 yards of shore, respectively (see
Fish and Game Code Section 7145).
wouldn't "engaged in taking any fish ....." mean your line is in the water? i haven't found too many fish on dry land (around here anyway) to be taken, which is where l dub was. my argument would be that i was 1) just about to start fishing (but not actually fishing yet) and was going to go get my license before i actually started the act of "taking fish" or 2) was done fishing and was putting my equipment away. hence i had put the license away and was getting my rod and worms when i decided to take a rest. both of the explanations, of course, hinge on the definition of "engaged of taking of any fish". :D :D :D
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

so if he starts to write u a ticket for not displaying it above the waist take the plunge and say u where diving :lol:
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

This topic shows up just about once a year..Most of us know what the rules are, some abide by them, some don't..If you are wearing (displaying) your liscence as required, you will not be cited, if you are not then you may be cited..Most of us have forgotten our liscence at one time or another, if when we do we decide to fish anyway, we are open for a citation..It really doesn't matter if we consider the law petty or not..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

What is a Delta Enhancement Stamp? Truly my ignorance---but have just not heard of this. Sadly, I have "visited" the Delta and should any enforcement side of the DFG read this I said 'visited' the Delta.... not "FISHED".

What do you 'locals' know of such enhancement stamp??