Wear It California Campaign

kb

Wear It California Campaign

Post by kb »

It seems very ironic for me in light of the tragedy that has hit each of us with the loss of Kyle Clement and having Gary Dobyns thrown from his boat early this year that I have been selected to be a spokesperson by Cal Boating, Boat US and The US Coast Guard for the 2008 Wear It California campaign. My Triton is logo'd with the Wear It logo and I will be active in getting the word out to anglers here in California.

Gary Dobyns and I have both cut PSA announcements that will be heard on over 200 radio stations throughout the state. We will be doing alot of promotion on Ultimate Bass as well.

I guess I just wanted everyone to know that this was something that I had been chosen to do prior to Gary and Kyle's accidents. I am proud to have been chosen to do this and hope that the efforts will help spread the word.

Many of you know that Gary and I are very close friends and the devastating loss of Kyle has given me so many reasons to help with this effort. I have not been able to get Kyle and his family out of my mind and being on the Delta today was very tough for all of us. Keep Pat and Trina Clement in your prayers guys.

I just wanted you all to know that I wasn't jumping on some bandwagon in light of the past events but they do give me much more incentive to get the word out.

None of us are exempt no matter how experienced you are. Wear your lifejackets everytime guys and gals!!!!!

Kent Brown
Ultimate Bass Radio
hunterdave

Re: Wear It California Campaign

Post by hunterdave »

Kent,

I sent you a PM.

Dave
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
g-man

Post by g-man »

I never wear it unless its tourney day. I'm starting to realize that i don't wanna go out that way. Sad stories I keep hearing!

TritonBrent, bahlzar, Steve....

My partners lets start wearing them. better safe then NOT! I got CL this weekend wind should be moving, and I will be wearing mine!

LL click it! 8)
100% LL
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Kent, as you know..a PFD saved my life in a very bad accident a couple of years ago very similar to Gary's accident. So I am a huge proponent of PFD's.

The bad news keeps coming...and it will hopefully be a wake-up call to those who think it won't happen to them.

We know that you and Gary will do a great job spreading the word about boating safety. This campaign will save lives.

If there are PFD awareness decals that we can put on our boats or vehicles, count me in!
Last edited by Caudawg on Fri May 16, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Yesterday myself and my partner was out at the Delta it was very windy and the water was rough and to my believe I alot of guys not wearing vests most likely knowing what happen to Kyle Clement.
I geuss alot of guys don,t think it will happen to them but there wrong it can and more likely it will so lets not be one of us put the vest the kill switch on and lets make it home to our loved ones.
I would like to say it wasn,t as fun being on Delta yesterday Pat was on my mind the hole day.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Kent,

The wife comes in here to WB and checks things out every so often
one thing that she has really taken notice of is how many people do not wear thier PFD's!!!!!!!

After Gary's accident She looked at me and said "honey I have never been in the boat with you without us having our life jackets on"!!! I appreciate that.

I wear mine always, do not care your boat my boat me driving you driving I have mine on!!!

KB, if you need any assistance with getting the word out about wearing the proper PFD we would love to help out!!

Mark & Ali
Iafrate94505

Post by Iafrate94505 »

Where cam I get a Banner and stickers.

I will put the banner up in Disco for all to READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Im sure the L.L. will help get the Stickers Out there....!!!!1
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Kent, are there any small banners and/or stickers available that we can put on boats/vehicle/etc to promote the use of PFD's further? I would put one up at the sport shop I work at (part time) and the stickers could be passed out at our club meeting for boats, etc. There is not much notice up here in my part of the state. Bill K
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Great Job, Kent and Gary,

Its a great cause and will undoubtably save someone's life someday.

Here's a challenge to all you TD's, People associated with tackle Stores or Boat Shops, and Members of a Bass Club.

Please make up some fliers and make sure the word gets to ALL anglers.

The <b>Wear It California</b> Campaign is in full effect!

Greg H.
(aka Calistar)
Jason P

Post by Jason P »

I hope someday they pass a law the makes it a must, I pulled my dad and little brother out of the water 3 years ago in December same situation as Gary's my partner just happened to turn around and saw them floating in the water. Please wear them.

I dont know if any of you guys watch Party Heat on Tru tv, but its cops at Lake Havasu, its amazing how many boats they pull over that have zero lifevest even on board. Kinda scary.

Jason Pardini
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

After hearing about this tragic event up there, maybe it is time. I have never been for too much legislation, but we do have mandatory seat belt laws, helmets on motorcycles ect, would full time pfd use be too big a burden? While the motor is running? Tournament or not? As our boats get faster, and the waterways get more crowded, could this time have come? What do you think KB and the rest of the WB viewers. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I was the worst about not wearing a PFD. I am lucky I hooked a kill switch to me on the day of my accident. I got lucky and will forever wear a PFD when I'm running. It was a fluke accident that happened so fast, I had no chance. Guys please believe it "could" happen to you also. Wear your PFD.
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

As I mentioned in an earlier thread ( almost turned boat over) we were not running but fishing. This huge wave came from behind us and hit broadside almost flipping our boat over. The tulles saved us in my opinion. Now this leads to the need for me to wear my Sospenders anytime I am fishing. Even though I used to be a hot dog swimmer, I'll just bet ya if I bumped my old head on the boat or motor when I went in, I would be in trouble. Two other times during the day we took water over the bow and stern, while fishing. In all these years of constant fishing, we have never had this trouble before.
Oldlures
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Kent,

Let me know what literature you guys will have I would like to present it to the club once the campaign is started.

Thank you,
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

but we do have mandatory seat belt laws, helmets on motorcycles ect, would full time pfd use be too big a burden? While the motor is running? Tournament or not? As our boats get faster, and the waterways get more crowded, could this time have come? What do you think KB and the rest of the WB viewers. Rick G.

Good idea Rick G. This is the thing to do, I used to be to cool to wear one but ever since that happened to Gary (sorry Gary) I WILL be wearing mine everytime I am on the water with the big motor going. Probably should wear it while fishing... lose your balance, hit your head, get knocked out, fall in the water... Never know.
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

but we do have mandatory seat belt laws, helmets on motorcycles ect, would full time pfd use be too big a burden? While the motor is running? Tournament or not? As our boats get faster, and the waterways get more crowded, could this time have come? What do you think KB and the rest of the WB viewers. Rick G.

Good idea Rick G. This is the thing to do, I used to be to cool to wear one but ever since that happened to Gary (sorry Gary) I WILL be wearing mine everytime I am on the water with the big motor going. Probably should wear it while fishing... lose your balance, hit your head, get knocked out, fall in the water... Never know.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

My Son and I have both gotten into the habit of wearing our PFD"S vest wile we are in the boat main engine running or not. I have even been known to wear em to the weigh- in :oops: Its just something we do with out even noticing it.

What bothers me the most is to see the Wake board and ski boats filled to the brim with people, cruising down the river at 50 mph all getting a hoot out of there day on the water and not one of em wearing a life vest or pfd.

Too me THAT is a ACCIDENT waiting to HAPPEN and it dose to Often. TOO BAD that they think they are immune !!!
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

I cant think of a better spoksperson to represent this issue than Kent Brown. This not wearing our PPE is definatly a safety rule that we all ignore one time or another and you all know it. I have a new rule in my boat. If the big motor is on so is the life jacket bottom line and I dont care if it is a little 10 mile per hour limit on any lake or water way. If big motor is running PPE ( Personal protective equipment ) is on.

Don Osborne
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I'm also an example.
My near death in a boating mishap.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
bassindon69

Re: What about the speed of these boats.

Post by bassindon69 »

Now Gary would that have happened at the speed of 45 mph? A floating body helps but what about the SPEED.
My God how fast do these boats have to go? :roll: You call 75 to 80 on the water safe? :roll:
With a max speed of 45 mph we would be really talking safety or is that being to safe :roll:
We as people cant even drive safe and that is with lanes, lights,speed limits and breaks.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/