Clear Lake Stickers

Dan Stahlman

Clear Lake Stickers

Post by Dan Stahlman »

This might be of interest to those coming to Clear Lake. Ignore the first post.

http://www.record-bee.com/sports/ci_9823391
Bill kizer

Re: Clear Lake Stickers

Post by Bill kizer »

That is a very intersting read. I thought this statement was hilarious.

"A check of the inspection stations revealed that out of more than 5,000 stickers already issued, there have been only two boaters who said they have left the county and then returned to the county, which is hard to believe."

Just call me Tule Bender
Just call me Tule bender
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Awesome. Now there are folks out there making a bad situation even worse by over charging for the stickers and inspections.

Clear Lake is not doing ANYTHING to actually help stop the mussels from spreading. They don't even inspect the boats, they are just selling stickers. Why are they even doing this at all? This whole thing is just ridiculous.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

IMO, the stickers should only be valid for a week or so. Unless they are stopping every boat coming in to Lake County, they can't be sure the boat has not left the county, been launched in an infected or high risk lake and then brought back.

If you're going to do something, do it right! Don't set up some BS sticker program just to act like you're doing something about it. The system they are using now is clearly very flawed.
CN

Post by CN »

I am heading up this evening for the HBC as a VTO and figured might as well bring my boat.I have no doubt it will pass as I have cleaned and dry docked it for allmost two month's.

I bet I have the cleanest and dry 2000 Ranger around but the more I see of this stuff I may just leave the damn thing at home. :(
just catfish off some dock :lol:
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

Tin Can wrote:IMO, the stickers should only be valid for a week or so.
In that case someone could take the test, become a certified inspector and open an inspection station at several of the ramps.

For some industrious guy, sounds like a way to make a buck.

Think about it, fail a boat, send it to a friend to do whatever, and then give a discount for a reinspection fee. Kinda like getting a smog check.

I'll pass,

Just call me Tule Bender
Just call me Tule bender
kopper_bass

nobody even knows the rules......*NM*

Post by kopper_bass »

I got my sticker back in April when the program started, and i have been to CL 3 times since. Headed up there again tonight.

Every time i have prepared to go, i have called some of the local shops & resorts to inquire about "what to do?" It doesnt matter which i called, because they all say the same thing - "you got your sticker, you're good to go until 2009".

Yet, at the very beginning of the program, i clearly saw the city councilwoman say that boats needed to be re-inspected every time they leave the county; that was the plan and it makes sense too. And it now says it here again in this article too. they even make fun of it because its not being followed. Yet, i call around today and they still say the same dang thing.

So, if the trusted groups that are handing out the stickers don't even know the rules, or are not administering the rules properly, then how is the general public supposed to be in compliance?
Seems rediculous to me and as Tin Can said - if your gonna do something, do it right.

As a precaution, i always print out the forms and fill them in with the newest information and bring it along on the boat - just in case i get stopped on the water. But at this point, i dont even bother to go to a station for verification as they really arent interested in the prevention of Quagga Mussels, they just want to sell stickers!

Kopper_Bass
Greg_Cornish

Re: nobody even knows the rules......*NM*

Post by Greg_Cornish »

God I'm tired of hearing about this. It should be moved to the political section :D But that doesn't mean I expect anyone to stop talking about it. Give them a chance, they'll get it all straightened out in 5-10 years.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

You should take advantage of it Greg. Order youself some stickers at 7 bucks a pop and sell them for 10 like everyone else is doing.

You make 3 bucks for every person you hand a sticker to and all you have to do is, well....nothing, just like everyone else!

:D
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

Better yet, be a certified inspector and charge 40 and then sell the sticker for 15 (some are charging this). You also get ten bucks for inspecting a float tube. Think I'm in the wrong business. Might have to come out of retirement.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Dan Stahlman wrote:Better yet, be a certified inspector and charge 40 and then sell the sticker for 15 (some are charging this). You also get ten bucks for inspecting a float tube. Think I'm in the wrong business. Might have to come out of retirement.
Exactly, and from the sounds of it they aren't planning on setting a firm price for these things. They are free to charge you what ever they want. They could all start charging 20 bucks for stickers and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Tin Can wrote:You should take advantage of it Greg. Order youself some stickers at 7 bucks a pop and sell them for 10 like everyone else is doing.

You make 3 bucks for every person you hand a sticker to and all you have to do is, well....nothing, just like everyone else!

I really don't have time for this. My Bikini inspecting business for muscles is doing really well.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Greg_Cornish wrote:
Tin Can wrote:You should take advantage of it Greg. Order youself some stickers at 7 bucks a pop and sell them for 10 like everyone else is doing.

I really don't have time for this. My Bikini inspecting business for muscles is doing really well.
You hiring? :D
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Greg,
I was out there this weekend and i was pouching your water.... err, i mean your bikini inspecting business :D .

There is a dock over on the rattlesnake arm that had 6 hot, young, babes that were killer in bikinis, just strutting there stuff, while their boys were out playing on the toys. They were even climbing on top of the gazeebo and jumping off. I was just waiting for a bikini to fly off.

Stangely, the fish were biting right by that dock, yet i missed at least 2 fish due to my distracting thoughts and wondering eyes. :shock: My partner had to whack me a few times and told me "hey, lets get back to fishing, OK?" DOH!

God i love the summer fishing at Clear Lake!

Cheers,

Kopper_Bass
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

kopper_bass wrote:Greg...that had 6 hot, young, babes that were killer in bikinis, just strutting there stuff, while their boys were out playing on the toys. They were even climbing on top of the gazeebo and jumping off. I was just waiting for a bikini to fly off.

Kopper_Bass
I used to live in a singles apartment complex in Minnesota 30 years ago. A pretty blonde jumped in and came up with her top around her waist. Her girl friend screamed then told her. Later when she walked by I said, "I love your suit."

Talk about turning red!

This is fishing related depending on what you're fishing for.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Creative taxation to gouge the non-county living tourist who come to ClearLake. Who are they kidding? There is an overall perception of the mentality of the folks who reside in the communities surrounding ClerLake. Seems that the old saying "Crap rolls down hill" is so true as proven by the folks at the top who run that county up there. This IS, no different than the Striper sticker fee the state charged in previous years to those anglers who fished the Delta , SF Bay and Pacific for that Stripers. It's now called the Bay-Delta stamp, and they collect an extra $5 from EVERY fisherman now who fish the system! Yup, the mentality indeed, always comes from the top!

If they really had any sense up there, they woulda turned all those free public launch ramps into pay for usage ramps, instead of masquerading around as if there is any concern at all about this Quagga mussel and it's impact on the Lake.