clear lake boat inspections?

Dynastyworms

clear lake boat inspections?

Post by Dynastyworms »

im planing a trip up to clear lake for flw in 09 what is the protocol for boat inspections for boats from so cal right now?

thanks
Z
sker13

Re: clear lake boat inspections?

Post by sker13 »

They are really relaxed about the hole thing...Too relaxed if you ask me. Go to the Takle shop right before the Red Bud launch (they open at 6:00 A.M.) pay your $10.00 and they will give you a sticker. I would steam the boat and make sure wells and bilge are dry just in case. I did clean my boat really well but they never looked at it, they just said nice Triton. If you ask what the hot bait is they will try to sell you the store. I guess they are biten' everything! :lol:
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
lippa rippa

Post by lippa rippa »

Keep in mind that having a physical boat inspection is based upon certain criteria. When you sign the affidavit stating what body of water you were last in and how long ago that was, that is what the inspection stations go by to determine whether or not they need to crawl through your boat. If the inspectors did not physically go through your boat, then you did not meet the criteria. I posted this response because I am sick and tired of hearing everyone saying the sticker program is a joke. In other words get educated about somthing before you just run your mouth about it. If you think the sticker program is a joke, just ask the guys who come up from infected areas and they will tell you all about a vigorous boat inspection.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Why the hostility Rippa?

The problem with the Clear Lake inspections as they're done now is that everything is based on the word of the operator. All you have to do is say that you haven't had the boat in infected waters and you are given a sticker, no inspection at all. That's way to trusting. So how many boaters coming directly from say Lake Mead or Havasu are going to admit that that's where the boat was last at? It's an honor system, which is like having no system at all for some.

I was also surprised to see the retailers up there independently determining how much they'd charge for the stickers. It was a different cost depending on where you went to get the sticker.

The current methodology leaves a lot to be desired.

sTony
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

lippa,
It's a great idea, and i dont think many guys are against it, it's just really poor execution of a plan that could be so much more effective. You cannot deny that having the criteria for inspection be based on the sole declaration of the boater as to whether they have been in infested waters and how long ago, is a very flawed system. It's like "Check box A if you want to go fishing/skiing/etc. today; quickly with no hassles." "Check box B if you WANT to be inspected, scrutinized, and possibly not even go fishing/skiing/etc. today." Which do you pick? I chose A every time.

Think of it this way - DUI stops. If the cops just took the word of the driver as to whether they have been drinking or not, there would never be any arrests; and there would continue to be tragedies and death every day with no change to habit. Everyone says NO! That's why they ask everyone verbally, observe everyone for any signs of drunkeness, and then test those that even remotely seem impaired; ir-regardless of what you "swear to".

Well, boaters want to be the good guys here, but trusting that everyone tells the truth and nobody is lying on those "affidavits" is just turning a blind eye to the real reason for the inspections. It would be much more effective to have the "guardians of the stickers" have you fill out the report, then read it and ask some questions; then go look at your boat to see if it is clean & dry. Anyone with any suspicion, either on the affidavit or dirty boat, gets inspected further.

Why can't they just do it that way? Doesnt that seem reasonable and logical?

So, this is why everyone expresses that the system is a joke; it just doesnt really do anything but generate revenue.

Kopper_Bass
lippa rippa

Post by lippa rippa »

sTony, you are absolutley right. This whole program is basically ran on the honor system. I would like to think that the majority of fisherman are being truthful when they sign the affidavit, but I am sure there has been some cases of dishonesty. Lake county officials put together this sticker program together rather hastily and albeit not the best program out there, I commend them for making an effort. As you probably already know, there is not alot of industry up here at Clearlake and the buisnesses and townspeople depend on the revenue generated from visiting recreational and tournament fisherman. I would hate to think what would happen if this world famous bass fishery were to be jeopardized by the quagga muscle. I would probably have to move back to civilization and get a real job. Ha Ha.

As far as the fees charged for these stickers, the county left it up to the individual distribution centers to set the price for the stickers. The majority of the shops are currently charging $10.00 per sticker, some shops are charging $12.00. I feel that it should be a set price for everybody but it is not. Some people will spend an extra $10.00 in gas to save the $2.00 difference and that is thier god given right to do so.

In closing, I think maybe we should start a think tank were people can submit their ideas about how to run a better quagga sticker program. Who knows, maybe we could re-vamp the whole program so it would not be ran on the honor system. Thanks, Lippa
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Yeah why the hostility? I am just talking about my expierience. By the way I have fished many lakes that do have a very serious boat inspection inc. Camanche, Santa Margarita, and Cachuma. So, I was prepared for a real inspection. One of the great things about Clear Lake is all the free launch sites. It is also what makes this so difficult to police. If you noticed I also said to clean his boat and make sure it was dry just in case. I am as educated as just about anyone on the subject. I'll just try to forget about the runnin of the mouth comment. :evil:
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I think at this time the sticker for Clear lake is best because of free launch. No sticker, you get fine. That should work. Very simple. Just be honest of the last lake you were at.

Why be Honest? Because it's the right thing to do. If you feel why be honest because no one else is, then you are part of the problem of why the sticker would not be enough :wink: .

Don.

PS Anyone on here at this time knows if they have been on posted Quagga water. PLEASE be honest.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
lippa rippa

Post by lippa rippa »

Sker13, I apologize about the hostility. It is just frustrating when I read some of the comments made regarding the inspection program. I just wanted people to know why your boat wasn't inspected. I will try to be more civil on my future posts. My bad on the deragatory comment. Lippa out
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

lippa rippa wrote:Keep in mind that having a physical boat inspection is based upon certain criteria. When you sign the affidavit stating what body of water you were last in and how long ago that was, that is what the inspection stations go by to determine whether or not they need to crawl through your boat. If the inspectors did not physically go through your boat, then you did not meet the criteria. I posted this response because I am sick and tired of hearing everyone saying the sticker program is a joke. In other words get educated about somthing before you just run your mouth about it. If you think the sticker program is a joke, just ask the guys who come up from infected areas and they will tell you all about a vigorous boat inspection.
Other lakes are inspecting all boats no matter what. If you really think everyone coming to CL is being honest and that the program is "working" then you have far more failth in people than me!
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Lippa, it's all good brotha! Now just send me a PM with all of your secret Clear Lake water and all will be forgiven. :D I've got a TOC coming up in Oct. and I need to find the donkeys.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Juice

Post by Juice »

I am the chair of the Lake County Fish and Wildlife Committee. I want to let everyone know who has taken the time to "say their piece" about the Clear Lake boat inspections that your thoughts (and frustrations) are being heard. I want to encourage everyone to continue sharing your thoughts, it really is helping those of us on the "inside" that are trying to make things right. Many of us want to protect the resource from all invasive pests while trying to develop a program that is not too confusing, costly and frustrating. Don't be shy guys. Keep telling us what you think and please keep posting common sense approaches that we can use.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

The biggest hole I see in the process is that it is a one-time deal, regardless of whether there is an actual inspection or not. There is nothing to mitigate those who get the sticker, then trailer somewhere like Powell, Mead, Parker, etc., then head back and launch on Clear Lake with impunity. Doesn't have to be a bass boat either... could be a ski boat with a nice big ballast tank as easily as any other.

I believe reasonable inspections are just that - reasonable. Unfortunately, as stated there are so many places to launch at Clear Lake it is not feasible to police all launch points. Tough situation for sure.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?