? looking for a good area to retire and bass fish

kane-o

? looking for a good area to retire and bass fish

Post by kane-o »

well we are thinking of moving and relocating to an area for some bass fishing and seclusion for the wife... we are looking for a wooded, secluded area with a house with around 1 acre... must be near a good bass fishing lake, somewhat close to shopping, medical offices, etc.... must be a safe area also... looking to stay as far south as possible, trying to keep away from the snow...we were thinking about the clear lake area, but have heard some bad things about the area, as far as being a safe community...any ideas are apprecieated.....thanks for any info you might have
RichThiel

Re: ? looking for a good area to retire and bass fish

Post by RichThiel »

Clearlake area, check for homes in the Lakeport area, jago bay, Rivera. Mainly (I think) the east side of the lake or look North of the Lake. Southend mostly a no no.

Just my opinion

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i'd go with the delta since it is close to the bay area.
Splash

Post by Splash »

Jasper, Tx. Sam Rayburn 15 minutes one way and Toedo Bend 20 minutes the other. Beaumont and Lufkin both an easy drive and plenty country!
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
Taint

Post by Taint »

Try Parkway Lake they have it all. There are trout, catfish, bass, crappie, bluegill and oh yes sturgeon that bite on powerbait!
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Lake Of The Pines!!! They (from what I hear) have phenominal bass fishin there and I'm guessing its pretty wooded. Others like G-man and Cooch could tell ya more about that lake as well as others here on the forum!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Sean Graf

Post by Sean Graf »

Taint wrote:Try Parkway Lake they have it all. There are trout, catfish, bass, crappie, bluegill and oh yes sturgeon that bite on powerbait!
Hahaha
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Pine Mountain Lake. http://www.pmlr.com/
:D
OOPS sorry this lake gets some snow.
Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Phil

Post by Phil »

GOOD LUCK ON WHERE EVER YOU MOVE TO !
Last edited by Phil on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grape Ape

Don Pedro??????

Post by Grape Ape »

Are you on crack? LOL OMG who in the heck would want to live on or near a lake that is locate in an irrigated desert? Hot and dry most of the time. I live near here and would not recommend this area to anyone unless they have no other options. Oh and no docks allowed on the lake.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
basstamer

Re: Don Pedro??????

Post by basstamer »

Da*n straight Harry!!! I was thinking the same thing!!! Jigs you forgot to mention all the glourious Rattlesnakes DP and McClure have to offer! Tight Lines-I'd look at the Clear Lake area as described above-thats where I will be God willing when its my turn to retire!
Scott
Rod Martin

Re: Don Pedro??????

Post by Rod Martin »

Thats right nobody should move near Don Pedro. Allit has are little fish anyway and their hard to catch.
Try Flordia I got a nice little house on a small lake for about $100,000, with a lot of fishing water within 50 miles. Both fresh & salt water, ponds, lakes, rivers and the gulf. Calif. might be nice but when its time to retire. I'm outta here. :D
bassingene

Post by bassingene »

My Dad is selling his house at the Lake of the Pines. I've been fishing there with him for over 20 years and the bass fishing is awesome. The best thing is most of the time you have the whole lake to yourself. Email me at bassingene@comcast.net and I'll give you all the details.
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

I retired 16 years ago and moved to Lakeport, We do not have the crime problems here that you might experience in the south end of the Lake. Love this area and homes are a lot more resonable than they are in the bay area. 5 minutes to the 5th street ramp. Dan
100%BASS

Post by 100%BASS »

ty jasper, Tx.......splash is right.

the other thing....I just moved to texas a year ago from Northern California, so i speak from experience.

For half the price of a home at Clear Lake(a great fishery) you can have 2000 sq ft of Brick home and 5 acres of land and still be closer to the ramp than in kelseyville or Lakeport. oh yea, you drive to a all the other things you want would be just as close.

ps if you want more info,,,,,call me at 469-398-8502

bob
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

Hidden Valley Lake and Middletown are both in South Lake county and are very nice area with very little problems. Hidden Valley Lake is a gated subdivision with a lake and a golf course. It also has its own security staff. Right now you can get some great deals on houses there.
Mark Pollard

Post by Mark Pollard »

Were do you guys see Jigs mention Don Pedro in his post? He say's good luck on your decision to find a home to retire in. Nothing about Don Pedro.....
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com
davet.

Post by davet. »

My vote goes to Lake Of The Pines. Been there a few times, it was phenomenal. Ive never had so many fish on consecutive casts in my life. It was almost a joke. And big fish too.
Crappie too, we got into spooning a deep school one year in front of the dam, it was nuts.
It's gated and private, nearly no crime at all. Close to major shopping areas with costco and walmart and anything else you'll ever need.
The only bad thing is the association fees are kinda high and some restrictions on boat size.
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Mark-he edited his post I guess he didnt like our comments-he is from that area and replied trying to sell I assume his place but I wouldnt call it a "wooded area" is why I said something
Scott
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

Hay Bob , I too have been looking into Texas for retirement but the weather is a big concern , I don't know if I could make the adjustment from Norcal to Texas weather How was It for you ? It would be on a lake in Texas or Lakeport Ca. and I like the what you get for your money in Texas but it would be a big change . Thanks Randy
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Hi Bob, I'm thinking the same thing when Dad pass's I was going to move back to Indiana but I really don't want to deal with the cold so I have been thinking REAL Hard about TX

I Take it you can get into something Nice within lets say 10-15 miles from a lake for around $200,000.00 or is that wishfull thinking
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

kane-o wrote:well we are thinking of moving and relocating to an area for some bass fishing and seclusion for the wife... we are looking for a wooded, secluded area with a house with around 1 acre... must be near a good bass fishing lake, somewhat close to shopping, medical offices, etc.... must be a safe area also... looking to stay as far south as possible, trying to keep away from the snow...we were thinking about the clear lake area, but have heard some bad things about the area, as far as being a safe community...any ideas are apprecieated.....thanks for any info you might have
You just described Paradise....and I mean Paradise the town not the imaginary place people go when they die.

Houses and property just as you've specified are going for record low prices right now, and Oroville Lake is about 15-20 minutes away. Also, within no more than 2 hours you have The Delta, Shasta Lake, Bucks Lake, Butt Lake, Eagle Lake, Lake Almanor, Bullards Bar, The Feather River, and The Sacramento River.

All the Bass and seclusion you could ever want, plus a whole **** load of other species for when you get bored with Bassin'. :D ...if that is possible.
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
ron4493

Post by ron4493 »

If you want to go out of state, check out Chattanooga, Tennesse. Its Awsum, and Guntersville is 30 minutes away plus other lakes on the TVA system run right through town. Lots of free ramps all over the place and lots of lakes within an hour or so. Not to mention that the place is really scenic and not much snow in the winter. A couple hours from Nashville, Atlanta and Gatlinburg in the Smoky Mountains for unbelievable fall colors. Actually Chattanooga fall colors are just as pretty. Cheap housing to. You would be surprised what you can get for 2 to 3 hundred thousand there compared to California. It would cost double that at least for the same out here.
Still, you cant beat the fishing or the weather in California. Especially Northern Cal with the Delta and Clear Lake being 2 of the best in the States.
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

Clear Lake
LL
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

Please do not move to Texas. It is Death Valley hot. The people do not wave at you while you are driving. The deer are small and the fish hurt your wrist when they hit. All kidding aside, Texas is a great place to live. The weather can change quickly but is very nice at times. It can be 95 at 1 pm and then the dark rain clouds come in and cools it off. Dont let anyone tell you it does not get cold there in the winter. It is much colder in Austin then here in the Bay area.I live in the Brentwood area so it reminds me alot of the Austin climate. I spent 28 years there and can not wait to get back. Please do not move there because you are making it more expensive for guys like me.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

some where near valley springs you are minutes away from camanche, pardee, amador, new hogan. bout an hour n half from the delta , pedro, new molones, and mcClure
Hillbilly in Cali

Post by Hillbilly in Cali »

Clarksville, TN. Close to Nashville for all the medical and shopping stuff with Kentucky and Barkley lake near by. Several lakes in Nashville as well.

Glasgow, KY is another nice place. Bowling Green for shopping with Dale Hollow, Barren River, Green River and Lake Cumberland all within an hour drive. Deer, turkey, duck and goose hunting. Very quite farming area.
Please don't get off !!!
homer77

Post by homer77 »

My 1st pick would be Clear Lake since I live here. Definitely choose a place on the north end. I live i Kelseyville and love it here, but Lakeport and Upperlake is also alright. There is also ther lakes nearby. Berryessa, Mendo, Pilsbury, and Indian Valley are are all within 1 1/2 hours of here. 2nd choice would be somewhere around Shasta Lake. Good fishery all around, plus plenty of other lakes and fisheries around to catch whatever you might want;