turning off your electronics while fishing?

21farms

turning off your electronics while fishing?

Post by 21farms »

during the WON bass tournament on the delta this year, both of the pros i drew never used their sonar units. they said it scares the fish, especially in the flooded islands in the delta because they're so shallow. i've always fished with them on. have any of you found a difference in your catch ratio with the fish finder on vs. off?
Jason C.

Re: turning off your electronics while fishing?

Post by Jason C. »

The only time I fish with them on is when I am pre-fishing. After that durring game day I keep them off. But it also depends on what kind of bite your on. There are times when electronics can help you catch more fish (i.e. dropping a dropshot into a ball of bait)
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

If you ever wonder about this do this; jump in the water when your sounder is on. That is one shrill ping you will hear. Unless I am fishing deep that sucker is off.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I started turning off my electronics (front and back) during tournaments this year when fish shallow water or when moving slow down the bank pitching or flipping – I also turn off my live-well and run my TM very low. That is the hardest to do is run your TM very slow (it seem that it takes for ever to get to the next spot). When fishing deep, cranking, or burning down the bank I don’t pay that much mind to it.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I know some guys that swear buy turning them off, and have done well. I've also fished with some that have them on and done just as well.

I personally have tried turning them off while fishing shallow, but it doesn't seem to help me. While fishing deep I always have them on and haven't noticed a difference either. I caught a number of fish last weekend and would get right on top suspended fish sitting down around 25' in around 40' of water. I could watch the fish come up and grab my bait on the graph, it was pretty cool. a lot of fun on a noodle and 4lb test.
I had to come back...I know...
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I don't fish with them too much on the Delta. The only real good reason for a guy to have them on, is exploring new water, and not wanting to to bang your troller. There are other times it comes in handy, but typically you are casting, pitching, flipping away from your cone and none of those fish are gonna pop up on screen.

Exploring, its on, for depth. Otherwise, my bait is the fish finder.

.02 A.G.

I am going to edit and ad this, think of your signal or cone as a flashlight beam shining straight down under the boat. In real shallow water, you will not get a lot of information on your return. The cone is too small, more like a lightsaber pointing straight down. So it can add noise, but not offer a lot of information when shallow. At a lake, you can get some depth, open up the cone and really get some good info. The fish may not be bothered as much at a lake with all the boats, sonar all the time.

.02 A.G.
Last edited by Andy Giannini on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Phil

Post by Phil »

Andy Giannini wrote:I don't fish with them too much on the Delta. The only real good reason for a guy to have them on, is exploring new water, and not wanting to to bang your troller. There are other times it comes in handy, but typically you are casting, pitching, flipping away from your cone and none of those fish are gonna pop up on screen.

Exploring, its on, for depth. Otherwise, my bait is the fish finder.

.02 A.G.