91 ranger 391v 2000yahama 200 ox66 need to know good and bad

garhide

91 ranger 391v 2000yahama 200 ox66 need to know good and bad

Post by garhide »

greetings from louisiana

i just bought a

1991 ranger comanche 391V with a 2000 yahama 200 v-max ox66. 14X26 4 blade prop type unkown.

it has a 12 inch Manuel jack plate not sure of the brand.

motor guide 67# 12/24 volt trolling motor looks almost new not sure of age.

it has hydraulic steering and a screw in drain plug i think these are newer items. not sure

trailer is in very good shape new tires, bunks look all most new and only a few specks of rust on the trailer.

bought it from a man who's father bought it new and died so the son knew very little about it. he said his father had it refurbished about 8 or 10 years ago. he was not sure just what was done but he said it had new carpet.

paid $6200 for it

just want to know every thing good and bad about the boat and motor or up grades that would improve it.

things like

rough water ride

speed and handling.

motor problems

your friend

mike moss
Ken C.

Re: 91 ranger 391v 2000yahama 200 ox66 need to know good and

Post by Ken C. »

Mike, you might get more information over at BassBoatCentral.com - the boat itself should be a great one. The motor is always the big question. Maybe not that particular make/model, but any outboard. If it's been sitting unused awhile you should have it checked out and a new water pump installed. Other than tha, run it! Take it easy and it should last awhile I would think.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
plungers

Post by plungers »

Nice boat with a nice price, you should be happy with your combo. I would take Kens advice and take to your local dealer and have the engine checked out. Congratulations and enjoy your new ride! Jim
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

It seems a little silly in IMHO that you are asking these questions after the fact that you bought the boat with out knowing the answers to your own questions first,

Sort of putting the cart before the horse, don't ya think ? :roll:
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Ideally, Mike would have asked these questions beforehand. However, the bottom line is that he already owns the boat and now has these questions. So let's try to help him out! 8)

The only other thing I would add is that if the boat has been or will be run in salt or highly brackish water you need to pay particular attention to the cooling system. You will want to be flushing the water jacket each and every timeyou have it in salt or brackish water.

Just be careful and have a great time with it!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

garhide wrote:greetings from louisiana

i just bought a

1991 ranger comanche 391V with a 2000 yahama 200 v-max ox66. 14X26 4 blade prop type unkown.

it has a 12 inch Manuel jack plate not sure of the brand.

motor guide 67# 12/24 volt trolling motor looks almost new not sure of age.

it has hydraulic steering and a screw in drain plug i think these are newer items. not sure

trailer is in very good shape new tires, bunks look all most new and only a few specks of rust on the trailer.

bought it from a man who's father bought it new and died so the son knew very little about it. he said his father had it refurbished about 8 or 10 years ago. he was not sure just what was done but he said it had new carpet.

paid $6200 for it

just want to know every thing good and bad about the boat and motor or up grades that would improve it.

things like

rough water ride

speed and handling.

motor problems

your friend

mike moss
OK, MY bad, here ya go !

1. Check and repack or replace if needed trailer bearings & same for breaks if equipped with. Once a year or more after that !

2. check and replace winch straps if needed on trailer.

3. Tires and spare ? are they worn or what about condition of spare ? do you have a jack for a flat tire repair ?

4. How about the electrical wire and lights, worn or frayed, bulbs good ?. ground wire connection & plug to hook up between trailer and tow vehicle ?

Some of these above can make for a very bad day if not payed attention too, most you can do on your own, & preventive maintenance is the Key !

Trolling motor !
1. Pull prop and check for fishing line rapped on hub, do you have spare prop on board and spare pin and tool for replacement ?

2. What is the condition of the electrical plug and wiring.

3. Foot pedal, condition and wiring and electrical boards ? Is it digital or analog ?

Main Motor !

1. When is last time for 100 hr service ? If not done, could result in BIG PROBLEMS ! Best to have it done a reputable shop that services your type of motor and follow there lead for routine service recommendations and maintenance. They can also tell you about Jack plate and type etc. Always check all bolts routinely for tightness and condition on plate ! If failure on water while running could result in catastrophic crash or death ! Same for prop, remove and check for line, do you carry a spare. and tools for change out if needed ?

2. Steering linkage and connections, condition. if hydraulic how about fluid level ?, always top off and keep an eye on it for leakage , if loss of or failure while on water running ,see results of above !

Boat over all.

1.Wash and keep it waxed & covered !!!

2. Wash with soap carpet and seats, then apply Scotch Coat over everything, keeps the carpet and seats from staining. Re-apply as needed !

3. Live wells and pumps ! Clean out & keep em clean, Check pumps and hoses, do you have a spare pump cartage ? Same for bilge pump !

4. switches, lights, electrical connections, fuses, spare fuses, wire condition, apply diuretic to connections ! Same for Batteries and connections. How old are Batteries , do they need replacement NOW? How about storage boxes, lids and lift pistons, hinges, and handles ?

Ok , that should about do it, as you become more accustomed to the boat and its needs and handling you will realize that a pound of preventive maintenance can sure relieve your stress level, so you can enjoy your day on the water and just fish !

Don't push it. keep your RPM's down until you learn how to handle it more ! Never overload it , and do sweat the maintenance for years of enjoyment to come !

You have a classic Ranger, that can handle some pretty rough water with confidence that she will bring you home safe and sound. Nothing is Bad or wrong with her, if you pay attention to what she is telling you She is not a speed demon like the 250 and 225 Hp or the 500 or Z models made today, but when she was made, she was one of the best Ranger produced. Find her sweet spot on the RPM, say in the 4000 or 4500 range, check her out on the Gps for speed, likely around the 55 mph or so, not bad for the gas millage ! :wink:
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't think you missed anything.
What Guy said, follow these steps and your good to go. :)
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

GREAT post Guy!

Roger

(I fixed the original post so that the quote formatting shows)
The Lone Angler

Everything mentioned above AND

Post by The Lone Angler »

Buy some ringfree from a yamaha dealer and run in your gas religiously. I had a 1990 yamaha 150 and never had a lick of trouble from it. If you are mechanically inclined, buy some yamaha brand combustion chamber decarboner (and a new set of plugs to install afterward) and remove the intake manifolds and spray it in as directed and run the motor at the prescribed rpms. I did this once/year or so and felt like that helped keep carbon from building up under the rings.

Hope this helpls,

Phil
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

IMO you have an outstanding motor. Those ox-66 Yammies are Saltwater stalwarts and known for being highly dependable. That comes from guys who put thousands of hours on outboards every year. We bass guys don't put near as many "hours" on our motors as we think. You should be happy all the way around. Enjoy that beast.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

X-L-NT Post Guy!!! :wink: :wink: Heck, I'm gonna write that down!
Thank You for that!
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

Forgot to add;

Trolling Motor Charging system, Would not hurt to check charging amps with meter, to see if batteries are receiving full charge or below full charge, less than full charge reduces live of Battery's

If Battery's are type water level can be replace with Distilled water or are they sealed type, always replace water loss with distilled, never tap, to much junk in tap water.

Check connections for batteries to charger, are they tight, or loose, what about connections, nice and shiny copper, no corrosion on connections or end of cables ?, cables are reasonably priced to replace, will save you day on the water. if ya leave marginal ones hooked up.

Check trolling motor mount to boat, and the way its connected to deck, are the connections tight and is the moving parts WD-40d ?
do you have a spare pull rope on board ?

Battery Hold down's, how good are they ?, if battery comes loose , can make for a very bad day on the water, do you keep a set of jumper cables in boat ? Apply lots of dielectric to all battery connections, cuts down on corrosion !

Oil Tank,Hoses and connections ?????? Check em often, only takes a min when ya add oil to tank, You can replace em cheep, far less if ya have to re-build motor cause she blows her top cause the hose are pinched or bad.

Throw away old drain plug and get new one, keep spare in storage box along with spare fuses, parts and tool kit, YOU DO HAVE A BASIC TOOL KIT ON BOARD DON'T YOU, ALONG WITH FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND LIVE VEST OR PFD'S.

You can contact ranger for Manuel on boat through e-mail and internet, they should have one around for your Mdl, same as engine, contact manufacturer. And just about anything else on her, like finders, battery charger etc.

Lots of stuff to do, get busy, and in joy your days on the water !

B Break
O Out
A Another
T Thousand,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

:shock: :roll: :lol: