shasta lake Flw

Phils Props

shasta lake Flw

Post by Phils Props »

The big problem with the cancellation of the National Guard FLW on
on Lake Shasta is the drought conditions we are facing. Bridge Bay resort which I understand could not guarantee the launching for 125 boats. FLW made their decision on that basis. Unfortunately myself and the Shasta lake Chamber of Commerce was not informed with the decision to cancel the tournament. We are the ones who signed the contract to hold the tournament on Shasta and I personally guaranteed the money to pay FLW. The money to pay tournaments to come to Shasta is generated through my fishing guide brochure. I personally go and sell the ads to chamber members and others who are willing to advertise and promote local business. 100% of the monies (except for printing and layout) goes into the Shasta Lake Chamber fishing promotions account. With the cooperation of the Chamber the monies collected fall in
the tax exempt status of promotions for the Chamber of Commerce
non-profit organization. Also, I can not personally be the local sponsor of the FLW tournament. They require a city or chambers to be the main local sponsor. I have been a supporter of Bass tournaments on Shasta for over 25 years. My goal is to bring quality fishing tournaments to our local fishermen. Having a major
tournament locally gives many fisherman the opportunity to fish without the additional costs of traveling out of town.
Please don't chastise Gene Bucholtz or Bob Kornhauser for trying their best for fishermen. I doubt if any money has changed hands to negotiate the tournament changes. I think FLW
made a last minute decision in panic without checking on the entire
situation. I can see why they made the decision to go to the delta.
The delta region is a major supporter of Bass fishing and Russo's
is good place logistically to have the tournament.
I personally am not mad at FLW. They obviously did what the thought was right. That does not mean that I am not disappointed.
At least it's not a major disaster to screw the tournament plans like
hurricane Ike. Let's pray for rain.

Phil Mitsueda
Phil's Propeller Service
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: shasta lake Flw

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Finally a truly rational post on the situation..As Phil said it is unfortunate, but don't get all in a hissy fit about it..It is obvious Phil hasn't and isn't..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I will still go up to shasta that weekend, get hotel, buy dinner and come get a bag of worms from you. I know it wont help much, but that was my plan to begin with.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Thanks Phil for the response. I have to say I was looking forward to introducing your store to some of my fellow San Diegians. Hope you do get that rain. Just ask it to stop for a week in January when I come up to beat Laskowski.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Thanks Phil,
I am disappointed to not come and fish at Shasta, as are most of the guys, but hearing from you the sincere understanding of situation keeps me level minded about the whole thing.

I appreciate you coming on and giving us the straight talk.

I will surely see you up there for the BassFed tourneys in Nov and Dec.

Later,

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
ckraft

Post by ckraft »

Honestly phill do you think thats the reason they changed the event.Sounds like to me that was there escape clause in the contract.Why then is the triton tournament still scheduled for bridge bay and even the fall classic in november if you could not launch at least 100 boats, which is more like the number of boats that flw was going to draw. I agree with you that the delta is a awesome place to hold a tournament and that it probably was a good business decision but the decison to change it should of come weeks earlier..........................
cleb19

Post by cleb19 »

it was last minute but lets get out there and support FLW. We need the numbers guys im telling you were gonna lose this great organization real soon if the numbers keep going how they have been.

cleb
wicked28

Post by wicked28 »

Leblank the thing you don't understand is that most of these people who are bitching about the change and there team tournaments being bumped can't afford the flw with there $10 hr jobs. Personally I think Shasta was a bad decision anyway after seeing how low the water has been for the last year or so.

Should have stuck with Clearlake.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

wicked28 wrote:Leblank the thing you don't understand is that most of these people who are bitching about the change and there team tournaments being bumped can't afford the flw with there $10 hr jobs. Personally I think Shasta was a bad decision anyway after seeing how low the water has been for the last year or so.

Wicked...you should call the suicide hotline immediately! Statements like that are one of the telltale "signs".
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Caudawg wrote:
wicked28 wrote:Leblank the thing you don't understand is that most of these people who are bitching about the change and there team tournaments being bumped can't afford the flw with there $10 hr jobs. Personally I think Shasta was a bad decision anyway after seeing how low the water has been for the last year or so.

Wicked...you should call the suicide hotline immediately! Statements like that are one of the telltale "signs".
I called that line. They transfered me to a call center in Pakastan. They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck. :lol:
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I'm in no way entwined with any of this so I think I have a pretty subjective view of it all.
It all seems pretty simple to me... Boating is on the decline, due to the cost of fuel, and in turn, less and less people are fishing, or at least fishing alot less often, now throw into the the mix a huge change of plans that disrupts many peoples plans, and what are you gonna get, a whole bunch less people fishing the FLW and other events.

I can certainly understand that safety has to be the number one considration for the event planners, but I've heard from too many Shasta locals that it would still be fishable to 125 boats.

It has crossed my mind, (and surely many others) that perhaps this whole fiasco might just be the beginning of the FLW retracting themselves from the West (not making any insinuations, just proposing a thought) and the reduction in entrants due to this change would be one more reason the pull the plug.

Just a thought, but it really sounds like if stuff like this keeps up, it will be one less tour to fish out west.

Well good luck to you guys and I hope it all works out for ya.
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Randy Yeager

Post by Randy Yeager »

A buddy of mine just came back from a week at Shasta. He told me this morning that Bridgebay is the last ramp thats not mud but only has a foot or so left before it is in the mud too. They dropped off the end of the ramp launching skidoo's.

Another week or so, you'll have to launch in the mud.

Unless we get some serious rain soon it looks to me like those other touraments in October and November should think about someplace else too!
AaronAgner

Post by AaronAgner »

Bridge Bay's ramp is paved (till 165 feet of draw down). Currently its about 148 feet low. So at the rate the lake is dropping, im guessing it will be good for another month and a half (assuming we dont get any rain). And by then we should be getting rain and the lake should start coming back up. Both Jones Valley and Centimudi ramps are still paved and operational (till 210 feet of draw down) but have no dock.
I am disappointed that FLW pulled out but i completely understand. They asked Bridge Bay if they could guarantee the ramp operational if the lake continued to drop, and they could not. FLW is a first class organization and that means not leaving things up to chance. I am really hoping they make it up here in January! Anybody know a rain dance?
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

First, I'd like to say Thank You Phil for weighing in on the subject. I don't have a dog in this hunt, since I'm currently boatless and was already planning to hunt this fall. But I am interested in seeing FLW stay on the west coast, and I do want Pro-am style tourney's on Shasta.

I have read all the posts on this site since the announcment was made, and realize the dissapointment of many fishermen, not all of whom are local, who had planned, and maybe even pre-fished for this event. I think a couple things happened to cause FLW to re-locate the event, The first being the meeting with Bridge Bay, who apparently were not sure how far down they have a ramp. I have lived here my whole life, and seen the lake at 200+ down, and we fished. I wonder if anyone currently working at Bridge Bay has ever seen the lake at this level or has a working knowledge of exactly what their facilities are when at these levels? I am pretty sure they have quite a bit of ramp left, and the parking beats the heck out of when the lake is full. Next, might have been safety for the contestants, Yea, there are alot of obstacles not normally in play at Shasta right now, but it is probably no worse than the Colombia, boat traffic at the Delta or running the river at Havasu. I think it was a difficult decision for FLW to make, and I'm sure they realized the impact it would have. To me, the Delta was a logical choice, especially considering that the dates were apparently open, it's sounds as if when it was considered there was no known conflict and they moved ahead accordingly.

I don't think they waited too long to change it, I think to change it earlier would have been worse, they waited and let the most current conditions and info dictate their decision. It seems some folks think it was based on entry numbers, perhaps had something to do with it, probably not, they knew they would lose some with the change, and it's pretty short notice for anybody else to plan to attend at the Delta, just a tough deal for Everbody concerned.

I hope those fishing FLW have a great tourney, and those fishing the TOC's have a great tourney too. It will take all the folks we have to keep the circuits in business, the sport needs growing, not paring back. IMHO.

Again, Thanks to Phil for working with ALL the org's to try to bring tourney's to Shasta. The BBQ's that either you or you and Oasis put together are great and very much appreciated. That you do the leg work in procuring a meeting place for the draws, garnering the monies needed, and just flat out reminding businesses of the revenue that these tourney's bring to their doors is an incredible amount of work and not many know it even goes on.

I think the Triton event will take two big sacks of spots to get the trophy!!!!!

Just my $.02

Mark Hiser