onboard charger???

14tommyd

onboard charger???

Post by 14tommyd »

I have a two bank onboard charger that has been giving me false readings on one side. After 8 hours of fishing yesterday, when I plugged in charger it showed both batteries full charged. I disconnected and used single charger to charge the batteries. Two part question, first, the onboard charger is toast?? Second, when I replace, should I get a 10 amp or 15 amp. Is one easier on the batteries life?
Marty

Re: onboard charger???

Post by Marty »

I was hoping someone would answer your post because I have a problem with my onboard charger.

My problem is one of my banks (three bank) seem not to be working. When I plug it in it start charging - the out side to banks (all of the red lights, light) but the middle one just blinks with one light. When out fishing and it just seem that I don’t have the power that I usually have. Maybe I’m not getting a full charge?

I was under the impression that when a charger when bad it would be the whole charger and not just one bank.

Any help for either of us would be grateful - thanks
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Your charger could be going out, but that would have to be checked out with proper equipment. I would first remove and clean all the connections to make sure there is not a film or buildup of corrosion and giving you a false reading or lack of good contact. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

After you clean the connections, and reconnect them, if the problem persists, swap the charger connections from the batteries so they charge different batteries. If the same bank still blinks funny, it's your charger. If the blinking switches to another bank, it's your battery.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

mark has the right idea about trouble shooting the charger.
i just changed out my group 31's in feb. and found out they were
10 years old. i run a minnkota 330 onboard three bank 10 amp./
generally the slower the charge the better for the battery.
unless your fishing tournments like the big boys a 10 amp
charger is more the enough.
but you have to get into the habit of checking your water once
a month. and i only use american batterys.
for me its the first sunday of every month.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Marty I was having the same problem as you and thought my charger was bad on that bank. I threw a new battery on the bank and it worked fine after that. Even thought the battery was 11 months old , it was bad.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

You guys will not believe this – but this is “No Shltâ€
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I just read that one to Mona, and we both cracked up!!! That's funny stuff my BrothA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to call you today, but wasn't sure of your schedule... let me know when I can call?

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?