bass pro shops manteca

D

bass pro shops manteca

Post by D »

I just wanted to comment on BPS in Manteca you know everyone says the economy is bad, you cant prove it by what I saw today at the store. I was amazed the store was so crowded had to park in the back by the boats and walk around to the front to get into the store. I went there to buy a gun once I found the gun counter I waited 20min still no help I saw the model of gun I was going to buy had cash money to buy it and got no help. Looked at some shirts, lures etc. was not impressed at all and I think I wil keep my business with the established places like Delta bait. Oh yeah I went to Barnwood in Ripon and bought my gun, and was helped right away...................any comments?
DeltaDan

Re: bass pro shops manteca

Post by DeltaDan »

D wrote:........any comments?

I said once that I would never again bitch about gas being $3 a gallon.

I am considering my current blessings "of joy" right now at the pump......... Just that........ as nothing good last forever.

In your free time -- Call up Canyon Sports in Martinez or Gene at The Hook in Oakley and ask them a price over the phone as well.

Congrats on your purchase -- What did you end up getting ??
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

You know, basspro is a tourist attraction. It shouldnt be compared to our local retailers. Its not gonna put anyone out of business thats providing "good" service and products to our sport of bass fishing. I love the place for reasons other than i enjoy The bait barn. Can we let comparisons die! Enjoy each for what they are! Be thankful in this economy, i am.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Great point! It sure seems agenda biased everytime folks make these posts! Read through the agenda and listen to your intuition. ALL the local shops are great. BPS, Cabelas, tackle warehouse etc were at everyones fingertips prior to the BPS store being built. It is almost easier to get quotes via the phone or e-mail than to drive to the big box. If your good and treating your customers right the Mom and pops will prosper.

An example in case was 6 months ago I offered a BMW dealer a fair market internet offer on his product. He told me to pound salt. I told him I would see him in 6 months and actually pay less than what I offered him. I even dealt with the head manager. When I recieved their phone call begging me to buy the car, I told him I was out of the market for a new car. Point being, greed has taken over many business. I can remember certain "mom and pop shops" treating customers like poop and laughing when you asked for Seaguar line for example. They just did not carry certain high profile stuff because the price break or profit margin was not high enough.

In my world that means screw you, the customer is not the driving factor in their business model. At BPS I will not have any trouble finding what I need and I am willing to bet that customer service will be a top priority.

I would suggest to the gun consumer or anyone else that has a bad experience is to put it in writing with a face to face meeting with the store manager and ask to be compensated because you were in fact inconvienenced.

I am willing to bet you will walk out of there with an apology, a discount as well as a gift certificate. It would take less energy to accomplish that then bad mouth BPS on a public forum.

Get used to BPS because eventually they will be major tournament sponsors in some form or another here in California. :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Wally

Post by Wally »

Howdy there Richie, good to see you're still around and healthy I hope.

You are exactly right about not bad mouthing BPS. Gary Watts said at the WON awards last week that BPS wanted to get together with him and talk about some sort of deal.

These guys that keep bad mouthing them are only going to be shooting us all the foot if they keep it up.

I am happy as a lark that they are here. That is a fantastic store for the whole family to enjoy. It also makes a one stop shopping for Christmas, LoL
gofish, Wally
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Wally,

Hope things are well with you and your family. I hope gary gets BPS on board as it will help us all out. I have been working so much I just cant put the overtime crack pipe down. I am sure your son is doing the same! :). I heard you actually have to pay to get into Melonies? Now you will really have the place to yourself! The door is always open to you in your family when when you guys come down the hill to visit BPS. Just stay away from willy in the big tank he is my adopted pet :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
D

Post by D »

Wow...thanks for the comments, I guess I was somewhat misunderstood. I am glad BPS is here and ya know I did not think of it as a tourist attraction when I went in there which for the most part would explain the crowds. My point was that I am a consumer and it just made me a little upset that I couldnt get any help and I think thats on BPS, not the one employee behind the counter with a hundred people to serve so I walked out but I will go back again.
Phil

Post by Phil »

TRY GETTING HELP IN AT WAL-MART !! OR BEST BUY !! COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES .......
Brian

Post by Brian »

JIGSRETIRED wrote:TRY GETTING HELP IN AT WAL-MART !! OR BEST BUY !! COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES .......
Ha, YOU EVER TRY AND GET HELP IN A HOME DEPOT?????????
Phil

Post by Phil »

Brian wrote:
JIGSRETIRED wrote:TRY GETTING HELP IN AT WAL-MART !! OR BEST BUY !! COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES .......
Ha, YOU EVER TRY AND GET HELP IN A HOME DEPOT?????????
well my point exactally. Big stores , like Disneyland, nice to look at but ???
whazup

Post by whazup »

I guess I may be the exception at BPS. Went in there to look at Solarbats and the gal behind the counter could not have been more helpful. Even went outside so I could try several styles under outdoor conditions. So I don't think you can throw a blanket over the whole store and say they don't provide service. Like any other business, it comes down to the individuals work ethic. It takes time to weed out undesirable employees.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Just an FYI as I am on my quest for Trolling Motors Jim at Galaxie said he would meet BPS or Cabelas prices for Trolling Motors. As always support the Local economy first and foremost.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Phil

Post by Phil »

ash wrote:Just an FYI as I am on my quest for Trolling Motors Jim at Galaxie said he would meet BPS or Cabelas prices for Trolling Motors. As always support the Local economy first and foremost.
?? Have you asked Bass Pro if they would meet or beat Jims price??
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Dont want to :lol: I would rather my business stay locally to the dealers that support me vs BPS that is just my opinion. I have and will visit BPS its fun to see stuff on that grandiose scale!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Top'r

Post by Top'r »

I went to the Hook, Line & Sinker this past Friday am. I needed a gallon of Premiun Plus, and wanted to buy a SUPER SPOOK,& a PENCIL POPPER, to try for some of those big top water strippers.
Gene was behind the counter, when I told him what I was looking for, he got up from doing some paperwork, and walked me to each lure location, telling me what size, & color he recommended.

I double dawg dare ya to get that kind of service from BPS.

My $$$$$$ will still be spent in THE store that does more for tournament anglers than anyone around.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Top'r wrote:I went to the Hook, Line & Sinker this past Friday am. I needed a gallon of Premiun Plus, and wanted to buy a SUPER SPOOK,& a PENCIL POPPER, to try for some of those big top water strippers.
Gene was behind the counter, when I told him what I was looking for, he got up from doing some paperwork, and walked me to each lure location, telling me what size, & color he recommended.

I double dawg dare ya to get that kind of service from BPS.

My $$$$$$ will still be spent in THE store that does more for tournament anglers than anyone around.
YOU SEE NOW THAT MAKES SENSE.......NOT THE DOLLAR, BUT WHAT THE LOCAL SHOP DOES FOR US !! THE PERSONAL TOUCH.......
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Why is everyone so lit up over BPS....Its fun and a novelty. If you don't like it then all the better for you just get over it and ignore it. If you do enjoy it then all the better for you and enjoy it. Every time I have been in there the people have been nice enough and they have some things but no place has everything. There are good and bad in everything so get over it.....And I'm sure the local guys will fair accordingly. The way I look at it it's up to our local shops to step it up and be better than the corp. giant BPS. Can they do it? Time will tell. The one good thing is that I can take my family there and they can go and see Santa and I can go and see whatever I'm after. Works good for us.
LL South
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

I wish more people would stop going there! So when I go it's not so damn crowded! LOL I myself enjoy going there however I usually buy most of my tackle at C & C Marine, Have you seen what Jim and his crew have done with his tackle selection there? If he does not have what your looking for.....tell them...they'll get it.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
SABP

Post by SABP »

Great post Rich. Ya nailed it.

D
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

ash wrote:Just an FYI as I am on my quest for Trolling Motors Jim at Galaxie said he would meet BPS or Cabelas prices for Trolling Motors. As always support the Local economy first and foremost.
Local economy?
How many employees are paid by Galaxie that spend their money in our local economy?

How many by BPS Manteca?
LMB
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Well I don't know how many BPS employees there are, but I know spending money there doesn't help the city or county I reside in. It's fun to go see it, but for me as long as the Hook is located in my backyard I will continue to give them my business, it helps to keep my sales tax within my county, you can order anything you want from BPS and get it quick because they are an affiliate, they carry stuff no BPS store will ever have. From what I could tell unless you are buying BPS brands there is no advantage to shopping there vs. your local independant tackle shop. Oh yes remember your local guy has been there for a long, long time, giving you service and advice you won't EVER get from BPS. The local guys generally employ other fishermen as well. Everyone will do what they feel is right, my choice is to be loyal to the guy who goes far beyond the typical retailer, Gene Bucholz is a rare commodity in this day and age, does what he says he'll do, has been a great friend to many and gone out of his way too many times to count to help someone out, batteries, broken trolling motors, electronics, you name it. Service like this just can't be found on every corner. Visit the great BPS, just don't forget the guys who have kept you on the water when it counted most.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

We are planning on going ther tommorow for the first time for the 5 hour sale after I get off work (and pick up 10 live dungenuss crabs for 99 cents a pound in Antioch. :D )

Wana get some of the FrogTog's sets for $29 for us. Kris wants to get some fleeces for $10 -$20 for family -- and call our Christmas shopping done early.

Then hit In-N-Out Burger on the way home for breakfast around noon.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

backlash

Post by backlash »

Went BPS for the first time just the other day. Without getting into where you should shop or who you should support I will tell you this; It smoked Cabella's in Reno in every aspect. Heck BPS even had some things on sale!!!
JRock

Post by JRock »

Dan, I agree with everything that you said about "your local guy!" Gene is great and when I'm in the area I always pick up a few things from his store. Unfortunately, he isn't my local guy so BPS has my business.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Went to the BPS today after dropping the wife and grandson at the Air Port. I had a $100 gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket and needed to be spent.

The place was packed, there were not only lines to pay but lines to just park you car. IMO if everyone that uses WBC never shops at BPS it would not put a dent into their market. BPS did their market analyze well. People were coming from all over Northern California. Of course this is Christmas time but if just half of the crowd that was there today comes after Christmas BPS will survive. All of the people there must have not known that the economy was bad.

But one word of advise to all of the local owners – do some price evaluation and compare yours with BPS. I seen some items (swimbaits) same brand and type and BPS were a lot cheaper. There were other items also. If fact BPS was carrying a lot of local items that are not in other BPS.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

We went there Friday for the first time. I got off of work at 0530 and first stop was Country Square Market where they were opening at 0600 to sell Live Dungeness Crabs for $1 a pound. I pulled into that parking lot at 0555 and there was a line of 80 people.

The math for people, line, wait, being told they have no more crabs did not compute ... so I got home and we were out of here early to BPS.

Believe it or not -- It was perdy empty around 0800 ! Most other bargin shoppers must of hit Walmart, Bestbuy ect for thier early morning sale. We were able to get what we wanted for family members at a 60% savings overall or better .. some things for ourselves like FrogTogs for $30, Doubble Hennlys for $12, BPS Hoodie sweatshirt's for $10 .... and other misc stuf.

Seriously - the fishing stuff was the same exact price as The Hooks for the same tackle. They did have some products in different models/colors from Zoom that I got - but even the line for Trilene 100% Floro all the way to Hooks, Weights, Normans, Bobber stoppers, Yamo's (in less colors and sizes) and Zoom products (big selection :D ) ect ... The same. Thier selelction of Jig's and Chatter Baits was poor -- if not very poor.

We ended up getting some discounted SB's that were only a $3 savings, some new XPS Spoons, Zoom priducts I have not seen before and some Zara's in differnt colors. Other than an electric fillet knife -- that was it for the fishing dept and I was not at all impresed with their rod/reel selection/prices.

BPS was "Good" in the end for once a year trip ~ if that ~ on a 50 minuet drive with the new Hwy-4 ByPass. We had quite the fun playing the shooting ranges, looking at the hunting gear, Air-rifles, Archery -- and how much the bows have changed in the last 3 years, kids games and mostly the taxidermy/live fish.

Kris ended up beating me in the rifle range -- 390 to my 310 -- Luke had 265 and Jack had 90. I need to get Jack an eyepatch like I did with Luke when he was younger - as they both are left eye dominant and shoot righty.

Was cool to see the differences between the LM's, Spot's and Smallys up close and study there differences and how they moved -- along with the Stripers that were almost active (mporeso than the others to show the boys how they have a higher metabilism) -- The Sturegon that for some reason hung suspended instead of on the bottom ? and the catfish digging in the gravel for scrap leftovers.

Finished by hitting the Costco across the hwy for 2 Polish and 2 Dogs for $6.50 before the ride home that I slept through.

Cheers,
Dan

PS- The dude working the Boyaah Flippin' Game Demo -- Is one cool cat !! 8)

basstamer

Can you say Competetion?

Post by basstamer »

The post about one place matching anothers price IMHO is a joke-I mean if the price was competetive to begin with there'd be no 'matching' right...Bass Pro isnt gonna put anyone outta business-least wise no store that didnt deserve it. Just my .02
Scott
RyanThoni

Post by RyanThoni »

Thanks Dan. Running into good guys like yourself while working the Booyah Demo was a pretty cool perk of the job. I also had the pleasure of meeting Johnny C, Sacto John (mostly a calfishing poster) and a few other guys.

BTW, it' pretty amazing how accurate some of the kids (including yours Dan) were flippin'! I have been flipping jigs for over 10 years now (wow, i can officially say that!) and there were kids out there not even in their teens yet that were sinking the jigs into the booyah cups just as good as I was! Look out folks :)

Thanks,
Ryan Thoni
rjthoni@gmail.com

Society speaks and all men listen, mountains speak and wise men listen