Vicious Florocarbon

Dan Stahlman

Vicious Florocarbon

Post by Dan Stahlman »

Has anybody tried it especially in the 15 and 17 lb weights. I heard it is thicker than most and it has mixed reviews.
Dan S.
SPIKE

Re: Vicious Florocarbon

Post by SPIKE »

I have been using it for about a year now and love it. The size on 15lb. is.015 and 17lb is .017 averages. If you were in Vegas I would give you a spool to try but by the time I Ship it the cost is to High.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I used it for most of all last year and I love the stuff. I have been using mostly 10# and 15#, but have also tried the 20# and 8#. I have not noticed if it is thicker than the other floro I have used but then again I seldom pay attention to these things. For the price you can not go wrong.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Vicious doesn't make Fluorocarbon line, the respool and label it.
Call them and ask who's FC line they are spooling.
Tom
DAN

Post by DAN »

Having been on there Pro Staff for the past couple years I must say this is the first I have heard of that Tom, So I sent them e-mails asking that question!

As far as performance, well I have landed more big fish than ever in the past couple of years with Vicious Flourocarbon and Vicous Ultimate, Great Performing, superior price point, especailly in today's economy. Ask Your Dealer for Vicious if they don't have it, I'll get it for them. Many Online retailers carry it, want a sample the first three PM's I get I will send you a hundred yard spool, (of what I have available)
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I can't remember who's plant they have updated and they do make monofilament lines. I called them a year ago or so and asked if they where extruding FC and they don't, import it from Japan.
The bottom line; if the FC line works and is a good price, does it matter if they are relabeling it?
Tom
Marty

Post by Marty »

I used it and have replaced most of it! I have it on one reel (which will be replace before the next tournament) for pulling a lipless through weeds and the other is for my anchor rope.
DAN

Post by DAN »

Well here is the response from Vicious as promised

Dan,

I don’t know where this came from, but I can assure you that the mixture used in our fluorocarbon is our formula. The manufacturing process, mixture, and extrusion/curing process is also one of our trade secrets. Our line is extruded and spooled 100% in the USA. It is not imported (someone else’s brand) and spooled here. In fact, we are one, if not the only, manufacturer of 100% pure fluorocarbon line that is 100% made in the USA. I have no idea where this statement came from or who posted it, but it is not accurate.

Glen Cunningham

Sales & Licensing Director-

Vicious Outdoor Brands

And Thanks guys the samples are gone for now :D
We will do more soon....
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

At the time I contacted Vicious directly and inquired about their FC, I was looking for a US processed FC line. From the statement they are making and processong FC in their plant, which I believe was the DuPont plant, is good news and will give their product a try. This was not second hand information by the way.
Tom
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I have to tell you it is honestly the worst line I have used. I know that sounds harsh, but I really have never broken off more fish with any line.

I called the number on the site and got their voicemail. I left them a message asking if they had a bad batch or something, but never got a response.

It may be more mental that anything, but I will never use the line again. It performed really poorly on the reel and I broke off too many.

Now I've been using the berkeley vanish transition and have been very pleased. It is comprable with Sugio which I had used for 2 years before that.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Corey Fenske

Post by Corey Fenske »

Steve,
When did you use the line that was breaking. When Vicious started making there FC line, they had a problem. That problem was when the extrucer was cleaned out and they went from mono to FC the extruder was not cleaned out properly, and caused a huge bad batch.Since then they have cured this problem and they have not had this problem since. This was about 3 years ago. Not trying to give you an excuse, just the truth.
Some may think its the worst line ever and some think its the best. I personally love it and have been on there staff for a while. There are lines out there that people say is awesome and i find it just doesnt fit my style. Not going to talk bad about it, just my opinion.
SoCalBassAssassin

Post by SoCalBassAssassin »

I have used vicious. It works okay on my bait casters, but it really sucked on mt spinning reels. The one thing I don't like about it is that it seems to frey pretty easily. I find myself cutting several yards off the spool at least once while fishing if I use the same reel for a long time. As long as I keep that in check I really don't have any problem with it on a baitcaster.
I came. I caught. I released. Life is good! -Saul-
drew

Post by drew »

So if we read between the lines, its safe to say that Vicious out sources the manufacturing of their fluorocarbon line to a USA based manufacturer.

I believe that there is only a handful of line manufactures in the world that manufacture their line in their own facility. The USA manufactured lines are good, but so are the German and Japanese products.

DAN wrote:Well here is the response from Vicious as promised

Dan,

I don’t know where this came from, but I can assure you that the mixture used in our fluorocarbon is our formula. The manufacturing process, mixture, and extrusion/curing process is also one of our trade secrets. Our line is extruded and spooled 100% in the USA. It is not imported (someone else’s brand) and spooled here. In fact, we are one, if not the only, manufacturer of 100% pure fluorocarbon line that is 100% made in the USA. I have no idea where this statement came from or who posted it, but it is not accurate.

Glen Cunningham

Sales & Licensing Director-

Vicious Outdoor Brands

And Thanks guys the samples are gone for now :D
We will do more soon....
Wipn_bass24_7

Post by Wipn_bass24_7 »

i have used the 15 lb. one. The only thing that it outperformed on was durability. For a cheap flouro, you cant expect the same hardness you get from higher end lines. But the durability of the line exceeded Berkley flouros by far.
outdoorsman

Post by outdoorsman »

I liked the 15lb. It worked pretty well on my jigs. I currently have 6lb on chickshake and tube. So far no issues, and havent noticed a problem with fraying.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Steve Reed wrote:I have to tell you it is honestly the worst line I have used. I know that sounds harsh, but I really have never broken off more fish with any line.

I called the number on the site and got their voicemail. I left them a message asking if they had a bad batch or something, but never got a response.

It may be more mental that anything, but I will never use the line again. It performed really poorly on the reel and I broke off too many.

Now I've been using the berkeley vanish transition and have been very pleased. It is comprable with Sugio which I had used for 2 years before that.
I had a spool of the bad batch, and it was easy to tell. About every foot or so you could see an odd mark. Apparently the mark was caused by something on the spool that I guess they wrap the line on after its extruded. The "marks" where actually abrasions and yes I broke two fish off then threw the stuff away. I was told the problem was fixed and I will have no problem giving the line another chance.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I fished the 15 lb for about a month or so pretty solid while fishing for rockfish and lingcod from shore.

The line is strong but the inherent problems have been noted already, large diameter, really high memory and though it seems liek a very hard fluoro, it frays like crazy, but it its defense, I was fishing in some pretty nasty rocks and the like, certainly not the same situations you see in bass fishing. Personally I found that P-Line Fluoroclear was stronger, but then again, that's not a pure fluoro and probly not what you are looking for.

Just my 2,
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776