Bubba Shotting

bassbusta01

Bubba Shotting

Post by bassbusta01 »

Just Starting to think about getting into bubba shotting had a few questions like what kind of a rod,action,power,line size flourocarbon or mono and what size and type of baits.any help would be great thanks. 8)
bpm2000

Re: Bubba Shotting

Post by bpm2000 »

jumping on the train as well...
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

bassbusta01 wrote:Just Starting to think about getting into bubba shotting had a few questions like what kind of a rod,action,power,line size flourocarbon or mono and what size and type of baits.any help would be great thanks. 8)
I use a MH rod ... something with an action similar to the Loomis MBR843 works well ... weight from 1/4oz ~ 1/2oz with a 2/0 or 3/0 hook for them bubba baits! :shock: :D
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

On the delta I've seen bubba shotting done with 15 fluorocarbon on a 4 power rod all the way up to 50lb braid on a flipping stick. Both I know that employ this tactic does well.

Mike Rooke from Lake Havasu won the FLW Nat'l Guard Series Delta event two years ago on a Roboorm dropshotted on 15lb fluorocarbon using a 4 power Loomis rod.

His story from flw is here:
http://flwserieswest.flwoutdoors.com/to ... tyear=2007

The other, more local angler and personal friend of mine Jerry Fournier took a top 10 at last years WON Pro Am on the delta by flipping a plastic worm rigged on a drop shot with 50lb braid on a stout flipping stick.

My point being, you probably have the gear already to use this technique. Just rig a drop shot, except beef up the hook and sinker. Good luck.
jfross

Post by jfross »

I don't think Jerry wanted his drop shot info on the web dude. Loose lips sink ships.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

A secret is only a secret as long as you don't tell anyone..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Marty

Post by Marty »

What secret – did any one read the article? All it said was “fishing slowly in 200-yard area using finesse baits such as a 6-inch Robo worm in an oxblood-flakeâ€
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

use the owner twistlock hook with spring on shank. flat out the best hook for this technique. they also make it in a 3x version for when your useing braid
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

jfross wrote:I don't think Jerry wanted his drop shot info on the web dude. Loose lips sink ships.
Oh, let's just say there was a lot more to the equation than just the drop shot. :lol:

Just ask his non-boater from that day, FLW co-angler and travel partner of Mike Folkestad, Chris Ricci. Chris couldn't catch a fish behind Jerry that day!
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Info given isn't a secret. There have been 3 magazine articles about this technique in the last 1 1/2 years. Latest issue of FLW Outdoors has it as the feature article. They detail Rooke & Strader techniques.

Now, if specific details were given, it might be different.
Marc

Post by Marc »

As for 15 fluorocarbon on a 4 power rod - I even know that – how about punching with a drop shot have you heard of that?
I wrote an article about it over a year ago for Inside Line. Been doing it for a couple of years, and is why I designed both a 3/4 ounce and 1 ounce QuickDrop dropshot sinker.

You would also be surprised how many guys are using the half ounce QuickDrop with heavy tackle to dropshot the weeds on the Delta. It is past the secret phase by now.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
jfross

Post by jfross »

This topic needs to be talked about much more. When I was introduced to bass fishing, most pros I fished with said what happens on my boat stays on my boat. I've always followed this rule since day 1. I do share info with my circle and this info stays in our group. There are no secrets in fishing these days because of all the info you can find. What i'm saying, Long Ngnyen, is you should not discuss names, bait, places, times, without there permission. Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you I was there Jerry 2nd day angler. I know what realy went on, okay. still to this day I don't discuss that weekend with anybody, thats the reason most pros will share there hard core baits with me. Take a good look around you fellas. The guy your shareing with is telling the whole world. The boys that can't compete, will wine about this, but the big boys that compete and fish for a living will agree.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

jfross wrote:This topic needs to be talked about much more. When I was introduced to bass fishing, most pros I fished with said what happens on my boat stays on my boat. I've always followed this rule since day 1. I do share info with my circle and this info stays in our group. There are no secrets in fishing these days because of all the info you can find. What i'm saying, Long Ngnyen, is you should not discuss names, bait, places, times, without there permission. Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you I was there Jerry 2nd day angler. I know what realy went on, okay. still to this day I don't discuss that weekend with anybody, thats the reason most pros will share there hard core baits with me. Take a good look around you fellas. The guy your shareing with is telling the whole world. The boys that can't compete, will wine about this, but the big boys that compete and fish for a living will agree.
Good points bud. I agree with the majority of what you're saying. Being his 2nd day am, you knew exactly how specific things were for his technique to be successful.

However, I think you're looking into this way too deep. Drop shot fishing, like swimbaits, cranking, frogging, etc., is a technique. In fact, it's a pretty specific technique. I'm 100% confident Jerry can still go out there and duplicate his results given the same conditions and time of year. Like my previous post, there was a lot more to the equation than simply, "he was drop shotting".

Two years later, I don't think bubba shotting on the delta is much a secret anymore. :wink:

Do you think that Dee gets nervous when someone says they're catching bass flipping or if Bobby gets scared when someone says they're catching em on frogs? I doubt it. Sucess depends on much more than the technique. When, where, tide, color, depth, etc all play a more important factor than what you have tied on your line.
civicrr wrote:Info given isn't a secret. There have been 3 magazine articles about this technique in the last 1 1/2 years. Latest issue of FLW Outdoors has it as the feature article. They detail Rooke & Strader techniques.
Totally cool that you saw that article in FLW. I was the photographer sharing the boat with Rooke that day last fall. Lots of knowledge and Mike is a great guy. He knows how to catch bass no matter where he goes.
sean alarid

Post by sean alarid »

Long Nguyen wrote:
jfross wrote:This topic needs to be talked about much more. When I was introduced to bass fishing, most pros I fished with said what happens on my boat stays on my boat. I've always followed this rule since day 1. I do share info with my circle and this info stays in our group. There are no secrets in fishing these days because of all the info you can find. What i'm saying, Long Ngnyen, is you should not discuss names, bait, places, times, without there permission. Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you I was there Jerry 2nd day angler. I know what realy went on, okay. still to this day I don't discuss that weekend with anybody, thats the reason most pros will share there hard core baits with me. Take a good look around you fellas. The guy your shareing with is telling the whole world. The boys that can't compete, will wine about this, but the big boys that compete and fish for a living will agree.
Good points bud. I agree with the majority of what you're saying. Being his 2nd day am, you knew exactly how specific things were for his technique to be successful.

However, I think you're looking into this way too deep. Drop shot fishing, like swimbaits, cranking, frogging, etc., is a technique. In fact, it's a pretty specific technique. I'm 100% confident Jerry can still go out there and duplicate his results given the same conditions and time of year. Like my previous post, there was a lot more to the equation than simply, "he was drop shotting".

Two years later, I don't think bubba shotting on the delta is much a secret anymore. :wink:

Do you think that Dee gets nervous when someone says they're catching bass flipping or if Bobby gets scared when someone says they're catching em on frogs? I doubt it. Sucess depends on much more than the technique. When, where, tide, color, depth, etc all play a more important factor than what you have tied on your line.
civicrr wrote:Info given isn't a secret. There have been 3 magazine articles about this technique in the last 1 1/2 years. Latest issue of FLW Outdoors has it as the feature article. They detail Rooke & Strader techniques.
Totally cool that you saw that article in FLW. I was the photographer sharing the boat with Rooke that day last fall. Lots of knowledge and Mike is a great guy. He knows how to catch bass no matter where he goes.
I agree, I fished with Jerry 2 weeks before he fished that tournament when we found those fish and there is a lot more then just drop shotting to the equation.
Bobby D's custom baits
http://www.piranha.com/
http://www.snagproof.com/
http://blackdogbaits.com/
http://www.swimbaitcity.com/
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

Not sure on the whole bubba shotting thing I dont do it.. But if you ant a good deal on some good drop shot weights shoot me a PM!
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

SO bassbusta getting back to your search for help and off the topic of convicting Long of bass tactical murder, i have some knowledge fo yo azz !

3 yrs ago my brother in law, whom i got into bass fishing, Landed the bass of anyones life 14# 15 oz and it was on the BUBBA SHOT 12 # pline floro on a 6'8" legend tournament elite rod med xtra fast action with a shimano scorpion 101 reel. hook size 2/0 6" roboworm. with a 1/4 oz teardrop style weight.

Now i'm not some sellout just someone who believes that no matter who you are and if you replicated the setup that he had that day you still will NEVER catch a bass like that. Remember fellas fishing also takes some timing aka "Luck" We have been bubba shotting for almost 10 yrs and have had great results. Does it need to be all hush hush and oh "i'm not tellin you what i used" be real fellas just be real !! hope you hookem good bassbusta keep me up to date.