Is it just me...

big_limits

Is it just me...

Post by big_limits »

or have others starting phasing out shorter rods? I used to have plenty of 6'6" rods, but now I don't think I use a rod under 7'. Is it just a phase I'm goin thru or do others feel me on this?
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Is it just me...

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Since I bought my first 7' rod, I have pretty much only purchased 7' or longer..I still have and use some that are shorter, but when I replace them, chances are they will be 7' or better..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

same here even on my spinning rods there 7' up...
for some reason 6'6 doesnt feel right..
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Same here...
All my rods under 7' are gone!
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
g-man

Post by g-man »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:Since I bought my first 7' rod, I have pretty much only purchased 7' or longer..I still have and use some that are shorter, but when I replace them, chances are they will be 7' or better..

mac

same here........
100% LL
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

It seems to be the trend, how many 5'6" pistol grips do you see around anymore. I build all of my rods now, but I only have 2 rods that are shorter than 7'; a 6'6" spinning setup, and a 6'11" Spinnerbait rod, that is sort of that happy medium between a one hand accurate rod, but still having some power available to muscle on some fish.

And especially for jig rods, why go any shorter than 7'2", you're not losing anything with an extra 2-6 inches.

Also I think a big part of it is that rods are so much lighter these days, so the tip heavy issue is pretty much a moot point.

Just my 2,
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

All of my rods are 7 or longer now too. I was just thinking about it the other day when I was looking to get a new multi purpose cranking type rod.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Ranger Jason

Post by Ranger Jason »

I still use a 6'6" rod for tight quarters jig pitching and a 6’8â€
Rod Martin

*NM*

Post by Rod Martin »

*NM*
Last edited by Rod Martin on Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
texas john

Post by texas john »

Does anyone notice they seem to miss more fish when they go from their 7' rod back to the 6'6"??? Just curiouse.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

All my rods are 7 or longer. I just feel like you get more leverage on hooksets and loose less fish. I will take that over being a little more accurate with a shorter rod.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Can't beat a 6'6'' for accuracy with a blade or tight quarter cranks, and for dock fishing with a spinning rod. That said, the rest of my rods are all 7 or better. Don't think I'll ever get rid of them tho
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
westcoastbass

Post by westcoastbass »

Now my shortest rods are 6'8" for dropshot. Everything else is 7' to 8'. I definitely like the longer rods, both spinning and casting. :D
www.theanglerspot.com
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

i think the 6'6" is perfect for roll casting blades! Other than that its all 7' and longer!
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I still like the shorter rods for alot of things the longer 1's just don't feeel right or work right for me
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Nor Cal Bassman

Post by Nor Cal Bassman »

Ya, good thing this topic came up, I got a spare reel, and I was looking at getting a simple worm rod (i.e. T-RIG, WACKY, SMALL JIG) I was checking out the new lighting rod shock (good price for that rod) 6'6MH or 7'MH... I dont know what size to go with. And its beating my brain up. can you let me know benifits if a 6'6 rod?
[albumimg]242[/albumimg]
"Its not how deep you fish, its how you wiggle your worm!"
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

for wacky rigging, worms jigs I prefer a 7' rod. As others have indicated I do use the 6'6" rods but I use them more for carving in tight quarters, for blades, buzzbaits, cranks etc... everything else is 7+.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I have one 6' Loomis I use for blades, Chatterbaits, and buzzbaits in close quaters, the only other rod I have that is under 7' is my 6'3 drop shot rod.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

I personally don't believe that accuracy is determined by rod length..One can cast just as accurately with a long rod as a short one with sufficient practice..I have no doubt, however that there are times when a shorter rod is more beneficial, tight quarters and such..

mac
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Responding to Mac here, it depends on how much room you have to work. If you are working docks from a great distance, longer rods can be dandy. But if you are among docks, and the distances shorten up, and you want to cast, short rods can be great. Otherwise, with the longer rods at close distance you might as well pitch baits. The longer rod can become too much to cast for the average guy. The angler's height, wingspan, skill level, and deck/gunnel height are all factors to think about.

One time I bought this really cool CRO Gary Dobyn's ripping stick, and who does not want to rip and catch them like BDO? I wanted to fish the same stuff, and do great with it. I found out I am not as tall as GD and for me it stunk. I cut it down until I ruined the damned thing. :x

Another analogy, would be a sword fight. A great big sword indoors, would be a pain, while a shorter one would move quickly and easily in tight quarters.

And there are many really good guys that can effectively wield 7 or 8 footers in tight quarters, but the average guy just finds it easier to manage a shorter fish pole.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
mac (Doyle McEwen)

I agree completely AG..That is what I was trying to get across, but you seem to always hear you can cast more accurately with a short rod than a long one..That is what I disagree with..Accuracy is strictly determined by the skill of the caster, be it a shorter or a longer rod..Operating in tight quarters is a completely different story though..A long bow isn't any more accurate than a short bow, that is at short distances, at long range, a long bow may indeed be more accurate, simply because it is capable of reaching those ranges..The same is true of rods..

mac
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

If you think that analogy is bad, I used to lay out prone and shoot groundsquirrels with a 357 magnum with a 2.5 inch barrel. Yep a snubbie S&W in stainless with a little tiny sight radius. (Hiccup and you will miss.)

So are long barrels more accurate or just more shooter friendly with the longer sight radius?

:D

(I know we are agreeable, I just like writing this stuff!)

A.G. :D
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

I use whatever length makes me efficient with the bait Im fishing. I like longer rods. Most of mine are 7' or over. But I fish what I feel comfortable with, plain and simple. I cant put a blade between small openngs in tule patches or timber at 25 feet with a longer rod like I can with a 6'. Vice versa, that 6 foot makes life a bitch when Im in open water and longer casts are more critical. Its all about efficiency IMO. I know guys just as accurate as me with a long rod. Good for them! But I aint, therefore I use a shorter rod. Another instance might be topwaters like a popper or Spook close into cover, where Id want to make accurate casts AND concentrate more on how I work the bait instead of worrying about hitting the boat , where a short rod is useful.
I like how swords were mentioned as analogy. Being a fencer, we all use a standardized sword length. The performance depends not on the length of the sword but the fencer. A short guy can easily defeat a much taller opponent provided he wields his weapon with precision and efficiency. Efficiency and precision are exactly what makes a great fisherman, and whatever rod length is most efficient for you is the right length. But that is just my 2 cents.
not4un

Post by not4un »

It's not the size of the rod that matters it's how you fish it :lol:
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Andy

Accuracy with a rifle or pistol is almost a totally different subject..Generally speaking though, the longer the barrel the more accurate the weapon with all other considerations being equal..It is a whole lot easier putting rounds into the 10 ring at 20 yards with a six inch barrel than a three inch one..Although I have seen it done with both..At that range I probably wouldn't have a lot pf trouble putting them in there with a rifle or even a carbine..Once again, the over all accuracy of the individual using the weapon will be determined by practice..Not so much by the weapon itself..I never shot ground squirrels with a pistol, sounds like it could be very challenging..

mac