Future pro at Folsom today, my .02

biteme

Future pro at Folsom today, my .02

Post by biteme »

I went and watched a bit of the weigh in today. I was really shocked at how things were being done. I noticed the new bag law wasnt being used, not that big of a deal really I guess. But then I noticed that there was no release tanks in use. With a Tournament of this size, 165 boats you would think maybe someone would have thought about the release of fish. As some Anglers released their fish at the Ramp some of the fish were having a hard time.
I also watched guys with small aluminum boats weigh in. At first sight I though, GOOD FOR THEM! It would be cool to see one of these guys take it! But then I noticed ice chest being used for livewells and the dead fish that were coming out of them. Why would a Tournament let these guys enter without a livewell?
Im not trying to start drama here. I would just like to see someone think a little. Folsom isnt that big of a lake, 165 boat has to have some kind of impact of the fish. Thoughts?
Flippinjigs

Re: Future pro at Folsom today, my .02

Post by Flippinjigs »

Don't you think you might address your concerns to Vince rather than post this info here for the whole world to see???

And I also don't want to start any drama!

Good Fishin
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Theres allways one person that has to drag Vince's name through the mud. I agree, take up your concerns with Vince through a friendly email or a phone call. There is no reason to jump on a public fourm and express "your" .02. I fished the event and proudly enough to say, I did not see one dead fish. I think that Vince does an outstanding job.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

Well being a guy that doesnt fish many Tournaments I didnt know if this is just how things are done. I also dont know who Vince is. Has this guy been doing this long, or is he new at this? If he has been doing this for a while Im sure theres nothing I can tell him he doesnt already know.
bryanw80

Post by bryanw80 »

I was at the weigh in also and did here Vince say several times that the Live Release boat was confirmed to show up but they never did. Anglers were forced to release their own fish, can't really blame this on Vince. As for the live well issue, if you read the rules and the FPT site it states that you can use a ice chest as a live well as long as it has an aerator in it. I did see that most anglers only used one bag, a few used two. Although i disagree with the new law it should be enforced. There were some good bags out there, a few 10+ fish!

biteme wrote:I went and watched a bit of the weigh in today. I was really shocked at how things were being done. I noticed the new bag law wasnt being used, not that big of a deal really I guess. But then I noticed that there was no release tanks in use. With a Tournament of this size, 165 boats you would think maybe someone would have thought about the release of fish. As some Anglers released their fish at the Ramp some of the fish were having a hard time.
I also watched guys with small aluminum boats weigh in. At first sight I though, GOOD FOR THEM! It would be cool to see one of these guys take it! But then I noticed ice chest being used for livewells and the dead fish that were coming out of them. Why would a Tournament let these guys enter without a livewell?
Im not trying to start drama here. I would just like to see someone think a little. Folsom isnt that big of a lake, 165 boat has to have some kind of impact of the fish. Thoughts?
biteme

Post by biteme »

I got a few good pics. That 9.55 was a nice fish!
bryanw80

Post by bryanw80 »

biteme wrote:I got a few good pics. That 9.55 was a nice fish!
I missed the 9.55, I saw a 10.XX and a 11.2XX but left after about 50 boats.
sethook

Post by sethook »

that 11 lbr came on a hudd & they got 3rd
twister

Post by twister »

I heard from my friend who fished it that there was a 13 lber caught. What was the winning weight? 165 boats--that's a lot of boats. Finally, there are more fisherman than wake boarders and jet skiers.
bryanw80

Post by bryanw80 »

twister wrote:I heard from my friend who fished it that there was a 13 lber caught. What was the winning weight? 165 boats--that's a lot of boats. Finally, there are more fisherman than wake boarders and jet skiers.
Biggest weight I saw was 19.xx not sure if they one. They had a solid sack of 4-5lbers.
5bass4cking

Post by 5bass4cking »

Does anyone have results? I fished the tournament, thought it was great. Vince and the boys did good job. also want to thank capital city marine had some T.M. troubles Friday, they had us up and running in 5 mins. thanks.
sethook

Post by sethook »

tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I believe there were a couple of 20 pound sacks weighed, and the team with 19 pounds were reputed to have an 11 and an 8, with maybe another rat... they were leading it for quite some time, from what we heard. We weighed towards the tail end, but there were still a fair amount behind us yet to weigh.

My only feedback is that the drive-up weigh-in didn't work very well yesterday, as it took forever to get to the scales for the later flights. We were due in for the 4:00 (last) flight, and didn't make it to the scales until about 5:45 - thankfully my boat has them great Ranger livewells full of Rejuvenade!

All in all another well-run tournament, with some fairly challenging fishing for most.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
BassinDan

Post by BassinDan »

Rod Wilburn and Gabe Campbell took first with I believe what he said was 20.56. They had the 9.55. Good job guys.
Dan Kornegay

Tackle It
Maverick Premium Fishing Lures
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Flippinjigs wrote:Don't you think you might address your concerns to Vince rather than post this info here for the whole world to see??
Seeing as how: 1) tournaments are a large component of this forum and website; 2) many of the registered users are participants of said tournaments; and 3) many tournament organizers and officials also use this forum, then it'd seem biteme's question is a valid one. I don't know him personally but the question wasn't malicious in tone and what he witnessed at the weigh in was genuine concern of his--it's not like biteme has a history of being a troll or sh*t stirrrer here either...
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I use and ice chest for a livewell and have never had a fish that was not lively, even in 100 degree weather.

If you use an ice chest, you have to take some extra precautions. An ice chest aerator pump does not exchange the water, so it will tend to get warmer and the water tends to get "stale" (for lack of a better term).

I take the following steps to keep the fish healthy:

- use a large ice chest (70+ qts)
- aerate the water with a pump
- keep the ice chest shaded
- use a bucket and change the water about every 1 to 1.5 hours (most important)
- I take two gallon jugs of ice that I put in the ice chest one at a time as the day gets warmer.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Don’t worry about Vince, he’s a big boy and can handle constructive criticism, he has since he started FPT and has build a origination that pulled 152 boats at Berryessa and 165 boats at Folsom -Northern Region. A lot more boats then any other origination in this economy, he must be doing something right.

The weigh-in took a long time and at first I was a little upset because of it. Like my partner said it took us hour and 45 minutes to get through it. Then I found out that the Release boat was paid for before the event but did not show up. Don’t know if it was a malfunction with the release boat or what but I sure there is a good reason other then saying we will not show up.

Also found out that the State would not allow golf carts to be used plus the State said the weigh-in station had to be set up all the way in the back of the upper parking lot and not next to the covered area on top of the launch ramp. That would have been a long walk up caring bags of fish from the launch ramp all the way to the back of the parking lot. That would have been worst for the fish then a drive up. Now add the release boat not showing up the death rate of the fish would have been real bad. With all of the conditions lay on by the State a drive up weigh-in was the best decision.

Just my $1.02 view of the situation – inflation.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Hey Marty didnt know you were fishing I would have said hey.
Heres the 9.55 sorry the pics didnt turn out better. Nice job and congrats on the win!
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

leave it to the state to screw it up ? how do they not ever when they get there mitts into something.

biteme is right to air it out on line, Vince is a big boy and has been at this quite a while, if ether were problems with a release boat not showing uo or dead fish from an ice chest, I know him well enough that the next time he will make sure it doesn't happen a second time. Some times stuff happens that no-body can control when people or things let you down.

He's a straight up guy in my book and greatly cares for the fishermen, fish and the sport. period !
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Biteme, We were in the back of the line – and I believe you were gone by then.

The story I heard was the guy was throwing a swim bait and never used one before and just landed three fish – that is a good story and a good win!
biteme

Post by biteme »

Yeah for sure! I go out to Folsom a bunch and toss big baits all the time. Im lucky to get a bite,lol. Good for them though! My buddy two days before wacked them on swimbaits for 20+ but just couldnt get them to go the day of.
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

Biteme,
I useually dont get involved in these sort of threds involving something unless I had something to do with it myself. However, I was right on the front lines helping and feel that I should comment on some of the things herein. The release boat thing has already been covered but I wanted to address the DFG bag law first. While helping people remove bags of fish from their boats I really didn't see what you mentioned. Most, of the anglers did observe that rule and all the TD can do is remind them prior ot and at each event. There is always going to be someone that forgets or doesnt do it but they did a very adiquate job of observing it in my opinion.

As for the ice chest thing, those that had them did comply by the rules and had aeriators in them. Surprisingly, there was only one small boat that had any fatalities and very few in total overall.

Finnally, I cant truthfully answer your concern weather 165 boats at one event makes a impact or not. However the fact that there was a tourney the week prior and the week prior to that in sucession all adds up to some sort of impact overall. But that's why the Fish & Game regulates this whole thing and allows permits to be drawn and our tourney's to exist.

Vince really is a stand up guy, I'm confident he would answer any questions or concerns you may have. PM me if you would like his number.

Just like you, we all have our opinions and thats what makes america great. So I thought I'd add mine into the mix... :wink:
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
biteme

Post by biteme »

L.Hackney wrote:Biteme,
I useually dont get involved in these sort of threds involving something unless I had something to do with it myself. However, I was right on the front lines helping and feel that I should comment on some of the things herein. The release boat thing has already been covered but I wanted to address the DFG bag law first. While helping people remove bags of fish from their boats I really didn't see what you mentioned. Most, of the anglers did observe that rule and all the TD can do is remind them prior ot and at each event. There is always going to be someone that forgets or doesnt do it but they did a very adiquate job of observing it in my opinion.

As for the ice chest thing, those that had them did comply by the rules and had aeriators in them. Surprisingly, there was only one small boat that had any fatalities and very few in total overall.

Finnally, I cant truthfully answer your concern weather 165 boats at one event makes a impact or not. However the fact that there was a tourney the week prior and the week prior to that in sucession all adds up to some sort of impact overall. But that's why the Fish & Game regulates this whole thing and allows permits to be drawn and our tourney's to exist.

Vince really is a stand up guy, I'm confident he would answer any questions or concerns you may have. PM me if you would like his number.

Just like you, we all have our opinions and thats what makes america great. So I thought I'd add mine into the mix... :wink:
Thanks for the post. Odds are if I would have know about the problems with the release boat I wouldnt have posted, that was my main concern. I did see MANY guys not using the right number of bags. But in fairness I did see a bunch with the right amount of bags. I also heard other Anglers talking about some of the stuff I posted here.
I know a lot of you dont know who I am and thats because I dont fish many Tournaments. I dont know Vince and Im not for one org or another. My thread was about what I observed as a angler that cares and thats it.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

You can be certain that 330 limits COULD have been legally killed by these guys if they were not involved in organized tournament fishing. IMO the DFG has spun bass fishermen in to second class position rather than applauding the conservation aspect of the sport we are criminals for killing a small percentage of our legal take. I am not saying Biteme is wrong or FPT is right. Just saying that we, as licensed fishermen, should be able to decide how we choose to conserve the resource. Tournament officials administer penalties to those that kill fish in competition and disallow boats improperly equipped to keep the fish alive during competition hours. We, through the organization, pay DFG an extra fee on top of our licenses and lake permits only to have our fishing rights reduced because we participate in a contest for money. Enough said. I am sure nobody intentionally came in with a dead fish. It happens. How can we help the anglers in that boat so it doesn't happen again would be my slant. The five pounds per bag rule is a joke. There are so many detrimental aspects of this rule that it should be dropped. But try to get a government agency to reduce their control of our lives. Not gonna happen.
kb

Post by kb »

I was also at the weigh in at Folsom and watched what I felt was a mishandling of the fish. First off this is in no way a slam on Vince or the Future Pro Tour or the anglers, they drew 160+ anglers and that is an awesome field. What I saw was a lack of direction and impatient anglers. When you sign up for the Future Pro Tour you have to expect some lines, probably from start to finish and you have to have some patience. I saw one angler carry two large fish across the parking lot in his hands, ask for bags and return to his boat that was probably 30 to 40 boats back in line. I think he was doing a bit of showing off but I think if Vince saw that he would have had a problem with that. You can't have anglers carrying bags, fish, leaving their boats before they put their fish on the scales......period.

I did not see the anglers going by the five pounds of fish per bag DFG rule while I was watching. If they were weighing 10 pounds and had them all in one bag they were in violation and we will all be screaming that DFG is picking on us when they decide to start ticketing anglers that don't do this.

One of the problems was the anglers were pulling out from two usable launch ramps and lining up. I counted over 50 rigs on the trailers waiting in line. These boats should have been kept in the water where their livewells could pump fresh water and brought up by their flight to put their boats on the trailer and preceed to the scales. I saw anglers bagging fish that were 20+ boats back in line. This is too long for these fish to be in the bag and could cause damage or even kill these fish. Just because they swam off doesn't mean you didn't do them harm or potential death. FLW uses a numbered weigh bag system and until your number is called you don't bag your fish or come to the scales.....period. The lake was calm and there was no reason to have 50 to 60 lined up in the parking lot causing problems for park visitors, park rangers and tournament officials. One of the great things about the FPT is you see anglers fishing in all types of rigs from ultra modern $60,000 rigs to aluminum boats with ice chests for livewells but there are a bunch of boats that are 10 to 15 years old and they don't have the livewells and re-circulation ability that the new boats do. No boats aeration system draws in fresh water while in the trailer.

I understand the release boat not making it to the event. Whose fault is this I don't know but if it is the BBAC then they need to make a public apology to FPT, with that being said this only effects the fish handling AFTER they are weighed in and doesn't change the fact that those fish were in the livewells for 60 to 90 minutes on the trailer. This is the most stressfull time for the fish right now and for the next few months, this sudden heat wave makes it additionally tough for them and the fish from Folsom Lake were not treated very well this weekend. Just because they swim off doesn't mean that they have no long term effect and when 160 boats release their fish on the ramps you can bet there will be a large contingent of straw hat wearing minnow/cricket dunking anglers lined up at Granite Bay this week and they WILL wreak havoc on those fish I promise you. It would have been nice to have the BBAC release boat dump these fish in a an area that will give them a chance.

It appeared that the tournament crew needed more help and with the large fields FPT is drawing it looks like he may need a couple of more staff teams and in keeping with the credo "A place to learn" the anglers need to learn that if you get impatient, disregard the resource and the regulations set forth by the state and the organization you are going to be penalized.

This was a great showing, a boost to the local economy, a boost to Capitol City Marine and a good tournament on a great lake but the show of all those boats stretching across two parking lots at Granite Bay was a bit of a black eye for the sport both for the participants and the spectators.

Don't tell the wife you will be home at 6 if you fish the FPT, have a two hour drive and a 3:30 weigh-in. It is going to take some time. Everyone involved should take a little better car of our fish than I saw this past weekend.

Congrats to the winners that was a great weight against a tough field on a pretty crowded pond.

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

The first part of my post is a direct agreement to Kent's,
I was thinking of my fish the entire time I was in that line. I kept my lids closed to try to keep them calm and kept my re-circ on the entire time. Like you said it doesn't pump freshwater but it was the next best thing. I was sad to see some of the fish handled poorly and also felt it could have been quite a bit smoother. I even waited to handle my fish until I was "On Deck" behind the person weighing in front of me, which caused me to still be bagging my last two fish into my fourth bag, while I was in front of the scales. I had some pretty healthy fish and the last thing I wanted was any of them to be damaged. I realize this type of thing may have held up the line slightly but I didn't get out and hold up my fish for everyone to see, I wanted to get through the line and get all of the boats weighed and take the pictures after I knew they were back in the water.
I will say this about the event, I'm sure Vince had some speed bumps, and overall I felt he ran a great event. That lake would be a challenge to launch so many boats on and he did a great job. It was a long weigh in yes, but it did sound like he had some drawbacks. We have to keep in mind as well, that he is dealing with a lot of amatuer anglers, lots of people who haven't done this very much so it is going to make his job quite a bit more challenging than dealing with a lot of more experienced anglers.
The other part to this is that, the fishermen have to assume responsibility here as well. Vince clearly said over the loud speaker that we "MUST OBEY THE 5 POUNDS PER BAG RULE" and also explained the rule in the morning. And every boat was in the water when that was said so there is no excuse for that. There were plenty of bags in their weigh bucket when I pulled my boat up to it and I gave mine back to the officials right after I weighed.
Overall I had a great time and the part I enjoyed the most was that the event did it's best to cater to "spectators" with their sponsor attractions, tents and food. I agree with Kent that it's great for the sport locally to have things for the family and I know that's what I miss most about the events when I was young.
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

great show
Last edited by Stretch1 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backlash

Post by backlash »

I'm not trying to stir this up, just posing a question: maybe, just maybe 160 boats in a tourney is a few too many?
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Ok here is the deal, any time you have an amateur event your going to have people making amateur mistakes. That's why this is an amateur event and not a pro event. If this were taking place in an FLW event then I could side with the issues at hand. However, this is an amateur event and this is how people learn to take the next step if they so choose. I personally think that Future Pro events are ran better than any other amateur event in the entire West Coast. I personally thank Vince Harris and Lowell Hackney for their efforts in making this event run as smoothly as it did.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

jerkbait....did you say it was the anglers fault? explain how i agree vince runs a great show hell i was staff for 3 years so explain how its the guys fault fishing the tournament....im waiting?
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Did I say it was the anglers fault? Read the post Paul.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

no u didnt say it...u implied it....hey vince is my homie got nothin but love for him...and wait do i know u? howd u know my name...i dont care just curious
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I wasn't going to chime in but...

First to anyone that thinks I'm slamming Vince please READ ALL of my words.

Vince is a great promoter and is doing an outstanding job when it comes to getting the numbers of sponsors and anglers participating. With taking on that role where he reaps the awards, he is also going to get rocked with the "speed bumps", as someone put it. Being the promoter of an amateur circuit is even more demanding because so many of these amateurs are demonstrating they can't take care of their catch. This has come up several times in the past. There are solutions, yet it seems the problems continue.

Amateur Angler or not you need to take care of your fish and if you can't you should not fish tournaments, period. I don't care how many fish we could of kept because it's our right and we pay for our license's. Tournaments are all about Catch and Release. Do some homework and see how and why that came to be. Look at some the catch stats of size and numbers compared to back east and here. Talk to someone that has competed back east and here out west , see where they would rather fish!

The only thing I am concerned with in this post and any of my past posts when it comes to the FPT is protecting the resource. I know some fish are going to go, but when it comes to avoidable mistakes like some mentioned here, we have to improve. If that means Vince has to hire more help, or we have to police our fellow anglers that don't seem to get it-STEP UP AND DO IT, or call me, I'll do it. I don't make a lot of friends anyway. Why is wrong to try and do the right thing?

Other than that, looks like it was a great turn out and some had a great time. Good luck in future events.
Last edited by MIKE TREMONT on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to come back...I know...
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Never said that anything was the anlgers fault. I simply said that in an amatuer event you can expect some mistakes, thats why its an amatuer event. Dont try and twist my words. Vince is my friend as well and Ive fished his events for 4 years now so Im not bashing him in anyway.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

Well I dont know how much people being amateur's had to do with it. I didnt see a whole lot of amateur's out there. Im sure 99% of the field has fished Tournaments.
Hipster

One word to all of you

Post by Hipster »

Scott Shambre FBL, I miss that dude and his events

Never had this ****, fish were taken care of anglers happy and shoot he would pay back 15th palce on a 40 boat tourney!!

Scott take care, and realize why you are not still out there!!!

OH }wait a minute the damn LL'S took you hostige!!!!:)
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

jerkbait i wasnt tryn to twist your words....u said....Ok here is the deal, any time you have an amateur event your going to have people making amateur mistakes. That's why this is an amateur event and not a pro event.....so who r u saying is at fault......its either vince or the fisherman?...anyhow i really dont give a crap...lmao...
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

i was at a major pro event about a month ago at clear lake on the final day....and all those fish came to the scales in one bag. so i guess it does not matter, pro or am. event. and no one said a word about that.
Owner @ canopygrenades.com
g-man

Re: One word to all of you

Post by g-man »

Hipster wrote:Scott Shambre FBL, I miss that dude and his events

Never had this ****, fish were taken care of anglers happy and shoot he would pay back 15th palce on a 40 boat tourney!!

Scott take care, and realize why you are not still out there!!!

OH }wait a minute the damn LL'S took you hostige!!!!:)
Hostage my a$$. He loves us! :wink:
100% LL
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

I was there and fishing it with my kid. I will say that the check in went smoothly, blastoff even more smooth considering the 160+ boats.What I did see throughtout the day cannot be blamed on so called "amateurs" and their lack of knowing what is right and wrong!!!!!!!

IT WAS SIMPLY BASS FISHERMAN GONE WILD!!!!!!

First off, hats off to Vince and his crew for doing the best they could with an overwelming field, a no-show live release boat and unthinking, impatient anglers. Vince has put together an impressive organization that is second to none for what they do. It is a great place to learn as they have touted for years, but it does go beyond learning to catch the fish. There needs to be more education about caring for the fish you have caught!!!!

The first part of the day I saw no less than 10 boats BLOW thru the north fork 5 MPH area....hello guys, those buoys you drove by at 60+ MPH say 5 MPH on them!!!!!!!!!! Saw another 5-6 boats driving around without their PFD's on...hello again, the rules say you will have it on and fastened when the big motor is running. Don't forget the yellow ribbon tied to all of our trolling motors gave all of this crap away!!!!!!!Getting on the trailer by myself wasn't much of a problem, but the line to get to the weigh area was crazy!!!!! I moved 50 ft. in 45 minutes.....after an hour and an exhausted kid, I took a couple pics of my boy with his fish and split.
The worst part of the day was how the anglers were taking care of the fish. I had a boat right in front of me that bagged his fish at the bathrroms.....IT WAS AT LEAST 90 MINUTES before they actually weighed their fish!!!!!!

ALL OF THIS IS TOTALLY OUTRAGOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!

There were two boats tied to the dock that bagged their fish and walked all the way to the weigh area....a distance of approximately 200 yds.!!!!! One of these boats had a fish that was close to 9 lbs. and after weighing the fish came back across the parking lot with NO water in the bag!!!!

Again...TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!

The provisions of FPT's permit state that NO MORE THAN 5 LBS OF BASS SHALL BE CONTAINED IN ONE BAG.....this provision was broken more times than can be counted and that was just what I could see around me!!!!!!!!!!!The permit provision also says that fish shall not be held in the weigh bags for more than 3-5 minutes!!!!!!!! This provison was violated right in front of me with guys being allowed to WALK their fish from the ramp to the weigh area!!!!!I was out at Granite Bay today and there were about 30 dead bass, a couple looked close to 5 lbs., on the bank of the swim area to the north of the ramp!!!!!

THIS AGAIN IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND THE BLAME FALLS DIRECTLY ON THE ANGLERS FOR HANDLING THE FISH LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

Check around, I have been very vocal over the years on the subject of caring for your fish after the catch. I have done mini-seminars on care of bass caught from deep water and pride myself on not have lost a fish during any season in the past 5 years!!! As a former TD, if I saw what I saw last Saturday I would have had to DQ a whole lot of people for the unacceptable fish handling, violation of state fish and game codes and clear violations of FPT safety rules!!!!

I have said this before and I will say it again.....if you don't know how to care for your fish other than just tossing them in the well and turning on the pumps.....

GET OUT OF TOURNAMENT FISHING NOW!!!!!!!!!

This is the kinda thing that could get Vinces permits pulled from all of future FPT events if we as anglers don't do our part to follow state laws, FPT rules and take care of the fish we chase!!!!!!
Last edited by Scott Shambre on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
CHUG BUG

Post by CHUG BUG »

it seems that a big portion of this thread is about handling fish carefully................with that said, how about taking another big step and eliminate the use of nets and make a rule against flipping fish onto the deck? this does a tremendous amount of damaged to our beloved fish of choice. i see countless photos of fish held horizontally by the jaw with no body support, this is extremely hard on the fish. don't fool yourself in to thinking that because these tourney fish swim away when put back in the water that they are not floating by tuesday. i fish the motherlode reservoirs during weekdays and i see an alarming amount of struggling, near dead fish after big tournament weekends. coincidence? i think not! sometimes i think we get caught up in the glory of a win and a paycheck and forget about protecting the fish. we all need to use our heads and protect our passion for future generations.
g-man

Post by g-man »

I have never weighed in a dead fish, and I take pride in it!!! The time will come I'm sure, It is the Anglers job to take care of their catch first and foremost. Its not about AM or PRO, its about thinking, and taking care of your fish!
100% LL
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

g-man wrote:I have never weighed in a dead fish, and I take pride in it!!! The time will come I'm sure, It is the Anglers job to take care of their catch first and foremost. Its not about AM or PRO, its about thinking, and taking care of your fish!
Oh so you have never ridden in a Skeeter Beater....
CN

Post by CN »

165 boat's......that's to many.
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

It would not have too many if not for the unseasonably warm weather and all of the other lake traffic. The hot temps we had made the care of these fish a much bigger deal.

There were things out of Vinces' control, but all of the control for taking care of the fish was soley in the anglers hands.

WE ALL DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS ONE GUYS!!!!!
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
CN

Post by CN »

Scott Shambre wrote:It would not have too many if not for the unseasonably warm weather and all of the other lake traffic. The hot temps we had made the care of these fish a much bigger deal.

There were things out of Vinces' control, but all of the control for taking care of the fish was soley in the anglers hands.

WE ALL DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS ONE GUYS!!!!!
I disagree Scott. If someone is going to profit from an event then Damn it the release boat should be there for that amount of boat's.

The people in charge are the one's that need to make sure thing's are running smooth and IF fish were waiting for an hour then yes there is a problem here. Other traffic.........well they have as much right to be there as us.

Mike Nance
jletsinger

Post by jletsinger »

Fish 100% WRL and you won't have any of these problems. Randy Pringle, being a pro, knows how to run things. Awesome circuit!
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

im suprised how long it took for someone to say fish someplace else...pringle does a fine job im sure but not matter i bet anyone who has 165 boat and a live release boat not show (blow out) would have the same troubles as Vince did...fish what you wanna but no matter when u get that many boats ANYONE will have trouble with a weigh in
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

I disagree Scott. If someone is going to profit from an event then Damn it the release boat should be there for that amount of boat's.

The people in charge are the one's that need to make sure thing's are running smooth and IF fish were waiting for an hour then yes there is a problem here. Other traffic.........well they have as much right to be there as us.

Mike Nance[/quote]

First off why with the problems they have had with tires or what ever excuse, why in the hell didn't the release boat leave a day in advance, its not like Granite Bay doesn't have enough room to park it in there parking lot.They had a general idea how many boats there was going to be at this tournament. And it not like it was busy somewhere else. Hell we were told at the marina that there was going to be in excese of a hundred boats, a week in advance of the tournament, and were on the other side of the lake, so Vince and his staff should have been prepared for it. Sound to me like the ball was dropped on a lot of ends here, Understaffed, no release boat, poor handling of fish. And now probably 30 plus fish no one is going to ever say I caught and released . Also why have these tournaments on the 2 bussiest days of the week on any given lake have them on a Thru. or Friday,and if you can't fish them then so be it. The people who run these tournaments and the people who fish them should think more about the fish ,then the money they plan to make. I know that its a bussiness but with out fish there is no bussiness.
Just my $.02.
Ray Vanacore
Last edited by Ray Vanacore on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Vanacore
Mark Pollard

Post by Mark Pollard »

vince did fine for how many boats there was, We as anglers need to keep are fish in the livewells, aerated, and some ice in there on hot days. The only recondition to the FPT on a big field tournament is, Vince needs a staff member at the Dock and they need to send up 25 boats at a time to the weigh in. That way it is not a 75 boats lined up in the parking lott. The rest should stage out in the bay for there flight to come in and weigh. Then they could have fresh water running thru there livewells. Kind of like FLW does. Just my thought, But Vince does a good job, just think it might help in the Future.
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com