Advice on 1995 Mercury Outboard , 2.5 liter XR6, 150 HP

Share vehicle info.
piseke

Advice on 1995 Mercury Outboard , 2.5 liter XR6, 150 HP

Post by piseke »

1995, 2.5 liter XR6, 150 HP MERCURY 2 STROKE
I bought a bass boat last summer and lately have been having trouble starting the motor after running it a ways. The motor starts ok on the cold start, first turn of the key and cranking up- after warming it up and going for a 15-20 minute run at moderate speeds (35-45 mph) and stopping to fish for 10 minutes or more it is hard to start, usually will need 3 or 4 cranks of the starter to get it to run- as i am going through that process- usually the first 2 cranks are duds, the 3rd gets a better sound like it will almost start- then the 4th or 5th will usually start- labor a bit with a seemingly low idle and then will go or sometimes even conk out and then i will have to crank it again. any advice on the cause of the problem?

so bottom line- it starts cold with the choke ok- but, after running for a bit, stopping, then has a very hard time restarting-

thanks,
Pat Iseke
Byron

Re: Advice on 1995 Mercury Outboard , 2.5 liter XR6, 150 HP

Post by Byron »

Sign up over at BBC (Bass Boat Central). They have alot of sharp factory trained Merc techs on the merc boards. They even have a board for 2.5's.
drrakruz

Re: Advice on 1995 Mercury Outboard , 2.5 liter XR6, 150 HP

Post by drrakruz »

I had a similar situations in both my car and boat. After running any motor for any length of time, the starter gets hot. If the bearings in the starter are worn out, the armature inside the casing will be out of alignment for proper contact. The other scenario is the bendix (starter drive) is on the way out. Either replace the starter or have it rebuilt. If you decide to rebuild, Boyle Future Tech in Grass Valley does great work for a reasonable price. That takes time. Do some pricing on ebay. I just replaced my starter on a 98 merc 200 for $100. That's a little less than half of what you would pay for retail.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!