Mountain Trout

midwesttransplant

Mountain Trout

Post by midwesttransplant »

I fully understand this is bass fishing site but I am sure someone has done what a buddy and I have planned.

We are backpacking into Emigrant Wilderness in the Stanislaus Forest in a couple of weeks. We both have float tubes and ultra light fishing gear. What I was wondering is what type of tackle should we use?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give or a good book/person to contact.

Chris
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.
MT

Re: Mountain Trout

Post by MT »

First, call the Summit Ranger Station and make sure the trails you plan to use are passible. May still be covered with snow in a couple of weeks. As far as what works on ultra light gear, small spinners and spoons to start with but I always strongly suggest flies. Dragging small woolybuggers behind a clear plastic bubble on your spinning rod should be dynamite. You can fill the bubble with water to get it down a little. If you are lucky enough to find rising trout which is a high probability in the backcountry, take the water out of the bubble and throw an Adams dry or an ant pattern. A good book for Sierra trout is Sierra Trout Guide by Ralph Cutter. A good place to pick up some flies and information about the area is Sierra Anglers Flyshop in Modesto. Call Bob at (209)575-2212
Marty

Post by Marty »

First thing I would do if I was backpacking into the Wilderness is leave the float tubes at home – you’re thinking about carrying that on your back? I would brake out my fly rod and fly tackle there are light and easy to carry. I would bring one light spinning rod and some salmon eggs if you are planning on eating your catch for dinner.
Mark Pollard

Post by Mark Pollard »

Beutiful country, long hike and watch out for the bears. Dad and I always went hiking and camping up there when I was younger, we used Night crawlers and salmon eggs. Caught a ton of Native trout.
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Hit Gem Lake! Super dupers in gold or silver. Little Cleos will also work.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

ditto on cutters book and bob @ sierra angler
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
g-man

Post by g-man »

I'd toss a count down Repala, colors brown trout, rainbow, and blk/ silver. I have never been where your going, but if theres current I would also toss a split shot night crawler. If its a lake I would toss the Rapala while you have a bobber with powerbait, or a Crawler drifting.
100% LL
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I lived in Oakhurst California and learned to fish catching trout in Louis Creek (just off 49 on Sky Ranch Rd.) Although it was stocked with rainbows it was not uncommon to catch native and even a german brown here and there. I mostly used rainbow trout, bumble bee (yellow and black) brown trout rooster tails (small to medium sizes) Salmon eggs drifted past eddies on a single salmon egg hook with a split shot or two to get it down.

Flys on a bubble rig I like wooly buggers in brown or green, foamy ants, addams, emergers, mosquitos (really anything that looks like a medium to large sized skeeter, I dont care what anyone says them blood suckers are there all year and are a good portion of the diet of those fish ... because they are always there.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
GregD

Post by GregD »

Once a year I fish a pond in the Sierra's that has wild bass and stocked trout. I have a hard time catching the bass because the trout grab the Senkos before the bass can get to them.

The biggest trout I caught in that pond came on a chatterbait right after the sun went down. The damned stocked trout will eat anything!

I'm not sure how that applies to wild trout, but it WAS interesting that I kept catching them on the bass lures.
Greg
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I have a cabin off of highway 50 and fish the sierras all the time for trout. You need a spinning rod with 4 to 6# flourocarbon and a handfull of 3/8 ounce gold kastmasters in brook trout. Other than that a 6 panther martin black with yellow dots.

Emigrant gap area only has a few lakes worth fishing. Upper and Lower rock lake suck. The second lake going in ( I forget what it is called lindsey or something is good). There is a lake called buckey thats good for big brook trout and they planted artic char in there back in the 50's and are still a few in there.

If you want my advice I would head up 50 to highway 88 and hike the meece meadow trail. There is a lake up there called round lake thats full of 19" or better lahontin cutthrout. Best eatin fish there is. There is another lake called dardonelis close by thats full of brookies to. And up the canyon and north is showers lake. Way better fishing and hikeing up there. There is still snow but there are clear dry spots around the lakes. You will have it all to yourselfs. Round lake is 3.5 miles in and up hill from 6500 to 9500 feet. twitch back stair case. But its way worth it.

I know I cant spell. But I thought I would chime in, I have fished almost every lake in desolation wilderness and hiked all the sierras in CA at one time or another.
LL
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

let me know what you are fishing and I may be able to help you out. I used to fly fish in the seirras during the summer non stop a few years ago. I will second or third the fly rod for wild trout and Bob at Serria fly shop is a great guy. i put some fly rods up for sale here a few weeks ago but no takers, if you are interested let me know. if not pm me and maybe I can help on the other.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
MaxRabbit

Post by MaxRabbit »

I agree about float tubes.. leave them at home unless you have an actual pack tube. other wise its 8-15lbs that you dont need. Also, you are in the back country. leave that spinning gear at home. Pack in a 7.5ft 3wt Z-Axis with a small CL1 Ross Rythm spooled with floating line and a back up spool with some intermediate II or III on it. As for flies you shouldnt need much, the eastern and western sierra are pretty standard fare as far as high elevation trout are concerned. Bring pheasant tails(14-18), small prince nymphs, hares ears, and of course wolly buggers.. the creeks and streams are not large up there so you probably dont even need a strike indicator unless you are some kind of rookie. and bring bug spray or you will die.

And Cutter's book is the best source of info on back packing the high sierra... very informative chatpers just on back packing and the dangers you will encounter while doing so.
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

I have done alot of backpacking/hunting/fishing in the high sierra's....My arsenal for high country trout is a UL spinning outfit with 2 lb test and an assortment of Panther martins and rooster tails...

Seems like the black panther martins have always produced more fish but sometimes you have to mix it up....
DAN

Post by DAN »

Hey stay off round lake I hope to go there agian someday!
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
DAN

Post by DAN »

Those wanting to drive to Mountain Lakes for some trout fishing try, Little Grass valley, Spauding, Bucks....But off the hook right now is Davis Lake top lining grubs for 12 to 24 inch rainbows....

Next Month Antelope, Jackson Meadows, Eagle just opened....
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
midwesttransplant

Post by midwesttransplant »

Thanks guys for all the responses. I have a pretty good shopping list going now.

We have float tubes meant for backpacking. With waders, fins, & tube it weights less than 5 pounds.

I spoke with Summit Ranger Station and things are looking great for a June 18th departure.

Thanks again for the help. I will reply with an update after we get back.
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.