MOST RELIABLE BIG OUTBOARD ???

Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking at repowering my boat. I am not rich like apparently all those who tell me I should just buy a new boat every year. I may have the money to replace my fading motor in the next few months, but whatever I pick I am going to have to live with it for a long time. I'm not going to be able to afford to replace it again in a year or two or probably even five or six.

So... what is the most reliable current production big outboard in the 250-275 range?

By most reliable I mean least shop/repair time and most hours of use before power starts to fade.

Honda
Optimax
Verado
ETEC
HPDI

Other?

Of whatever model you think is the most reliable, how many hours should I be able to expect to see if properly maintained before I start to notice a drop off in power and top end?
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Forums, Links, Contests

http://www.YumaProAm.com
Yuma Pro Am - Draw Team Series
Mark Pollard

Re: MOST RELIABLE BIG OUTBOARD ???

Post by Mark Pollard »

Verado or E Tec would be my choice, We have had a 200 Verado for 2 years and not a lick of problem, more reliable then my car. :lol: i cant speak for E Tec, but they are good motors to.
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Aside for a few lemons, most modern motors are pretty reliable ... that is if you take care of it's maintenance and care when using. I currently own an E-Tech, which one 'pro' told me is unbreakable ... that's before he blew it up himself. The thing is, if you run it at or above their recommended RPM range ALL the time or if you don't warm it up during the cold winter months before running (ever heard of that one tourney up on Shasta early in the year where a bunch of motors blew up?) ...

During the time that I've own my motor ('05 ETEC 225HO), I've had the starter go out on me while fishing and I blew up the lower unit by hitting some submerged wood or something while running ... The starter ... hmm, that's a manufacturer problem, fixed under warranty. The lower unit was simply bad luck ... for my wallet! :(

I've had Merc EFI before and sucked in a reed ... good thing it was a fiberglass reed. Other than that personally, I've not had too much motor issues.

Keep it tuned and replace the impeller regularly and you're pretty much golden ... well, except for the early 2000 motors! :)
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I would go Etec. Call Brant at Marine Unlimited at 707 585-9717 and he can give you the run down.
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

Merc Pro XS
Merc is the best.
Yamaha can only bring 4 strokes in cal. Rude is just like it says "RUDE"
Go Merc or nothing else.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

No matter what anyone's opinion is, just remember that Mercury and Evinrude have been around for years and years and are still out there, going strong. Pick one, take care of it and it will give you plenty of good service. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Bill's go the right idea, Merc and Rude have been around for a few years now...and if they made a %^#* motor, they wouldn't still be makin 'em!

If you can handle the weight, go with the Verado, if you want a lighter motor the Opti would be a good choice too.

Only minimal experience with the E-tec (a 60 hp) good motor...mechanics don't like them (cause theres no space to work on them!) but they are a very dependable motor.

Just my 2,
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Robert 67

Post by Robert 67 »

although the motor is a little less in HP then you are looking at, I am running a 2000 optimax 200hp with 586 hours on it with little more then routine maint done to it. I did replace an alternator at 550 hrs
CN

Post by CN »

Mercury or Evinrude and just take care of it. Dont run wide open to much and just remember you want it to get there and back that's all.

With the Engine's now you should get alot of year's out of it. I still have the original 2000 Ficht and they were known to have problem's. I've just never ran it hard and kept it serviced and it still run's great.

Good luck :)
Team Davies

Post by Team Davies »

I have a 02 200 HPDI I have changed the plugs once and it runs as strong as it did new, and I have the new 225 Yamaha four stroke on my other skeeter, lost about 5 miles per hour but it runs forever on a tank of gas and don't buy oil.
DAN

Post by DAN »

Optimax

Mercury has been my choice for 25 plus years never been a problem, Make mine Black

They are all good, just my preferance has been Mercury and I trust in them.
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Right now is a good time to buy a new motor both Merc and Evinrude offer a five year waranty. Can't speak for 2 stroke Yamahas as we can't sell them in Calfornia. I did notice you were from Arizona so check with your local dealers. Jim
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I'd get an eTec or an XS- The eTec is much quieter, the XS has more dealers. They're both quite a bit lighter than a 4 stroke.
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

the verado is extremely quiet... and it weighs 130 pounds more than an opti...
DaveT

'06 Nitro 911 250 Verado
HDS 10, 8 LSS-1 LWX-1
SonicHub MercMonitor
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

I would have to say the Mercury 200 HP OptiMax is the best and most reliable that I have ever owned. Before I bought the Opti I had the Mercury 200 HP EFI and never had any problems with it, just bad gas consumption compared to the OptiMax. I took it to Joe White down at Galaxie when it was still open and as long as it stayed tuned, lubed and changed the Impeller regularly that was a great engine. So far two Mercury's and two great engines and no major repairs. No bad comments about Yamaha or Evinrude because I have never owned either one.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
Paul Cormany

Post by Paul Cormany »

Bob

My 2 cents.

You should repower with whatever brand you have on there now. As others have said, whatever you buy will do the job as long as it gets proper maintenance. By staying with the same brand, you can avoid the cost of a key harness, control box and gauges.

I think the Mercury Verado is a great engine. I've owned two of them. I wouldn't recommend one for a repower when the cost is important to the buyer. You would need to change the helm station to accomodate the power steering and you're looking at $2,600 in parts plus labor.

You can give us a call at the store and we can go over the details and get you a price. We carry and service Mercury, Evinrude and Yamaha. 623-872-6726
jeffmeeks

Post by jeffmeeks »

i have always run merc, never had a problem. but when i did they told me to take a hike. my partner has an etec, as the second owner, had an injector fail and burned a hole in the block. he was out of warr and had not done the prescribed maint. etec still gave him a new block. all he had to pay was labor! what a great company. jeff blythe ca.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Jeff, how old was your engine?
jeffmeeks

Post by jeffmeeks »

it is a 2005 250xs, which i purchased with anextra year of warr. the seals in the lower unit went out during warr, not covered. compressor failed a month out of warr, caused number 6 to seize, no help. I knew the warr was up, i was just looking for help. no way a compressor is 1300.00, or a drop on power head 8500.00. motor had just been serviced for 800.00, given clean bill of health. under 200 hrs on the motor. always ran quickleen, super unleaded, and merc stablizer if i was goning to store it. after the simon motorsports rebuild it has run like a champ, thank God. it will be my last merc. jeff blythe ca.
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Merc hands down.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

jeffmeeks wrote:always ran .... super unleaded, and merc stablizer if i was goning to store it.

Check your book - I believe 87 Octane is the max recomend for our outboards.

I cooked a head on my older Johnson even -- before it cracked the cylinder while running 92 Octane. With my EFI I run nothing but 87 now. I honestly dread the day that motor goes .. -- Don't even want to think about it !!

I still need a new prop to keep me in check ... as my re~worked prop wants to over-rev and give up GPS mph. And Ins. still has not called me back once I re-opened the claim some 8-9 days ago. :evil:

Just saying -- Check the Owners Manual for your motors and Octane ratings. Premium Gas burns slower and Hotter than Regular Gas -- That burns faster and Cooler. Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
afdean

Post by afdean »

I have heard good and bad about all 3 major brands. I bought an XS merc and in 30 hours have had it in the shop twice. First time was a bad fuel rail, second was a burned out coil-pack. Both were warranty, but aggravating for a motor with so few hours.

I ran a carb Yamaha for 8+ years without a lick of trouble so it sucks to trade up for more problems, but the good side is WHEN IT IS RUNNING the merc 175 Pro XS gets nearly the same mileage as my 90 hp yamaha! In short I love the motor but I don't buy that no one else has problems... when my coil went I talked to two guys that didn't even own an Optimax that knew the coil-packs were burning up on Pro XS motors so it is not an isolated instance.
jeffmeeks

Post by jeffmeeks »

the 250xs needs super unleaded...lots of it. jeff blythe ca
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

E-Tec 250 PM sent
kb

Post by kb »

The Pro XS does NOT need super unleaded and in fact runs on 87 Octane fuel and is the recommended fuel by Mercury. It also runs Premium Plus Oil. Save money on fuel, oil, five year warranty, a wide variety of props to dial your boat in, Carbon Fiber reeds, Offshore gearcase, solid hub, Billett Motor mounts for increased stability makes the Pro XS a baddest, best built outboard on the water.........

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
afdean

Post by afdean »

kb wrote:The Pro XS does NOT need super unleaded and in fact runs on 87 Octane fuel and is the recommended fuel by Mercury. It also runs Premium Plus Oil. Save money on fuel, oil, five year warranty, a wide variety of props to dial your boat in, Carbon Fiber reeds, Offshore gearcase, solid hub, Billett Motor mounts for increased stability makes the Pro XS a baddest, best built outboard on the water.........

kb
Per Merc's FAQs:
Use a major brand of automotive unleaded gasoline with a minimum-posted octane rating of 87. Leaded gasoline is not recommended. Performance Products will have different requirements, consult your Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual.

You are both right per the engine you are refering to. Jeff's motor is the earlier 250 XS which is a mercury performance product, whereas the newer 250 Pro XS Opti is specifically designed to be 3 Star with 87 octane in it.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

DeltaDan wrote:
jeffmeeks wrote:always ran .... super unleaded, and merc stablizer if i was goning to store it.

Check your book - I believe 87 Octane is the max recomend for our outboards.

I cooked a head on my older Johnson even -- before it cracked the cylinder while running 92 Octane. With my EFI I run nothing but 87 now. I honestly dread the day that motor goes .. -- Don't even want to think about it !!

I still need a new prop to keep me in check ... as my re~worked prop wants to over-rev and give up GPS mph. And Ins. still has not called me back once I re-opened the claim some 8-9 days ago. :evil:

Just saying -- Check the Owners Manual for your motors and Octane ratings. Premium Gas burns slower and Hotter than Regular Gas -- That burns faster and Cooler. Image
Wow ! You sure about that ? I like the idea of runnin 87 (cheaper)but when I told my mech. I was runnin mid grade chevron (90?)his comment was that the 92 would be better,I've been takin it in the wallet ever since ! :twisted: I'm runnin a Ranger 488vs , with 200 efi.
~ Tony
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

your going to get all kinds of dfferent answers on this one. i sure everyone will have a favorite. but like everything it just depends on the the actual motor. some are great and some are not, just like cars. some last and some dont.
for me outboard wise, nothing better than a merc. at least they take what they learn from their racing division and apply it to their regular.
there some deals on the pro xs right now, you'll just have to shop around [/i]
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

tony save ur self some money and dont run premium, run mid grade, premium has too many of the wrong additives (alcohol) to make it premium.
most motors recommend minimum 87, not a max of 87. keep adding your sea form/quik clean/ riing free stuff
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"