How was your Delta bite this weekend ?

TonyL

How was your Delta bite this weekend ?

Post by TonyL »

Mine sucked in Dissapointment yesterday ! Slack tide didn't help! :evil:
~ Tony
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: How was your Delta bite this weekend ?

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Which one, I only had two for the Federation event..One was a solid bite, but the fish through the hook before I got it to the boat and the other bite was a good thunk, set the hook and nothing..

In other words, I didn't get on them..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Austen

Post by Austen »

not so good. had a total of 3 fish. 1 on a speed trap in potato slough another on a speed trap in mandeville and a 4# in franks on a 10" power worm. tried poppers for an hour in the morning with no success. for me it was really the wind. couldn't fish all the spots i wanted to since my trolling motor started to quit on me and the spots i did fish the wind blew me through to quick.
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

I absolutely suck on the delta , but sunday I had one of my best days in a long time. Between my buddy and I, probably 35 to 40 fish with our best five pushing 20lbs. Now can I repeat next weekend... we will see
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Looks like a saved an hour drive by blanking at Folsom instead of the Delta.... :lol:

I netted a 36#er. But it was my 3 year old. I had to throw him back.
LL
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

big_limits wrote:I absolutely suck on the delta , but sunday I had one of my best days in a long time. Between my buddy and I, probably 35 to 40 fish with our best five pushing 20lbs. Now can I repeat next weekend... we will see
Wow , nice ! what area were you fishin ? I was in Dissapointment - most had tough stories , me 1 swirl ! on a frog , that's it !Course I wasn't on the water till 10, didn't get to Diss.till close to 11. :cry:
~ Tony
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

Can't give up too much cuz for one I'm new to the delta and can't really explain exactly where it was(just marked it out on gps), and two I have 2 tourneys back to back there. This I can say though. We've been on the delta, between this year and last year, maybe 10 times if that. Last year we did "ok", with a decent day here and there. We kept pounding the same water every time with mixed results. People always say "fish your strengths" well I call "Bowl Shat". We tried to fish our strengths and cover familiar water and couldn't even manage a limit this year. So my buddy and I sat and talked and came to the conclusion it was time to get "uncomfortable". We put down the same ol' baits and same old spots and went hunting. We fished techniques and baits we were uncomfortable with(left the other crap at home) on new water we had never seen, and before long the fish started to come. We paid close attention to what was happening (a pattern) and ran around trying to duplicate. When we stopped trying to force feed fish what we wanted them to eat and "listened" to what they wanted it paid off. Now maybe it was a fluke, no that wasnt the bait, but it sure was good on the confidence level.
Last edited by big_limits on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Cool pointer BIG LIMITS ! I'll put it to use.
~ Tony
Austen

Post by Austen »

We tried to fish our strengths and cover familiar water and couldn't even manage a limit. So my buddy and I sat and talked and came to the conclusion it was time to get "uncomfortable". We put down the same ol' baits and same old spots and went hunting. We fished techniques and baits we were uncomfortable with(left the other crap at home) on new water we had never seen, and before long the fish started to come. We paid close attention to what was happening (a pattern) and ran around trying to duplicate. When we stopped trying to force feed fish what we wanted them to eat and "listened" to what they wanted it paid off.
Good tip. i think im doing exactly what you were before..now I'll rethink everything through. thanks
Dom

Post by Dom »

Mine was ok on Saturday fished a incoming/ outgoing 3.3 high tide
the fish were buried in the grass down south flipped sweet beavers and tossed frogs for fish up to 4lbs had about 16lbs for 5 with about 4 hours of fishing. all the fish were DARK green means they were buried for some time in the grass.
Tight Lines Dom
obsessed fisherman

Post by obsessed fisherman »

Saturday fished far west. My son and I did ok with 3 nice fish for 10# and missed another 3. Sunday went south and had 2 fish for 2#. Low tide killed us. We've been doing a lot of exploring, but sticking with familiar methods. After looking at the pictures today and reading what big limits had to say, maybe it's time to try something radical :shock:
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

obsessed fisherman wrote:Saturday fished far west. My son and I did ok with 3 nice fish for 10# and missed another 3. Sunday went south and had 2 fish for 2#. Low tide killed us. We've been doing a lot of exploring, but sticking with familiar methods. After looking at the pictures today and reading what big limits had to say, maybe it's time to try something radical :shock:
That's what I've got planned this weekend w/son. :lol:
~ Tony
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

There were certain areas/structure that we found bites. Rather than fishing all the stuff "in between", we ran from spot to spot targeting those key senarios exclusively. We always fished from end to end on a spot in the past and I think that too is always what killed us. We were wasting too much time on the unproductive "inbetween" junk. By no means did they come easy, on one certain stretch of bank or island. burned a lot of gas.
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Two nice fish on a snagproof frog on a 1/2 day afternoon outing saturday. One just east of franks and one near holland. No bites on blades or plastics.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Mixed results for me, 15-20 fish on Saturday with Roger in the ABA, a whopping 10.88 lbs. Stuck with topwater and jigs all day. Sunday was a little better with the client, couple nice ones on topwater(Poppers), then found a skinny worm bite in the grassbeds, nadda on a jig and a 4+ on a frog at the end of the day. Again 15-20 fish, but better weight at around 18-19 lbs. Yesterday, 3 fish on a frog in two hours fer 21 pounds.

Go figure! It's a junk fisherman's extravaganza out there right now!