Team Tournaments and Accountability question for you all???

Dan Sexton

Team Tournaments and Accountability question for you all???

Post by Dan Sexton »

I fear that this post will cause some "Drama", but I can't help but pop the question: Is it remotely possible that teams could cheat in these non-accountable formats?

I know it seems to be Urban legend, I have heard 55 gallon drums, feeding stations, fish snagged on lines, boats huddling up prior to weigh-in and possible exchanges made to improve a limit for one boat. I heard a story from a lady that was divorced and she had some junk to say about hubby and his dishonesty??

WHO KNOWS??

Keep in mind I have been fishing team events since 1988 (Ambassadors Classic night event) and several awesome organized team curcuits since that time.

I just want to see what you all think? Could it be, would it be possible?
N.A.R

Re: Team Tournaments and Accountability question for you all

Post by N.A.R »

boats huddling up prior to weigh-in and possible exchanges made to improve a limit for one boat.....

No.... thats ridiculous....
TritonBrent

Post by TritonBrent »

Dan Sexton wrote:
I just want to see what you all think?

I think its time for us to get out on the water together again! Thats what I think!!!!
rdearmond

Post by rdearmond »

I agree with NAR, trying to get close enough to another boat to exchange fish with your partner in crime at weigh-in; would be tough. Plus most of the circuits like WON Bass pro/ams or FLW you have your non-boater and boater verifying the rules. I had my non-boater during a FLW tournament call the director to verify my culling method. I was right overall on the issue but still he checked. I think the days of tying fish up is over plus most of the bass fishermen that fish the bigger team trails want to catch fish and win for braggin rights, $$, and ego.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I actually think thats might be a way of cheating that occurs more than any of us would like to believe...
Monsterfishingtackle.com
JJCJR

Team Tournaments and Accountability question for you all

Post by JJCJR »

If some team and bound and determined to cheat...I guess they will.

If caught, as we have seen in San Diego, the price is high.
I can't imagine a known team of fishermen jeopardizing everything they've gained in life just to cheat.
Just imagine if a Rick G, Gary D, Ron C, John B or a Mike L were found cheating. That for sure would be the poison pill. Most fishermen are also businessmen in some way shape of form. If a Stan V is found cheating, will you go buy insurance from him. Get the drift?

In our WON tournaments in SD no team can have more than 5 bass in their possession at any time. Catch that sixth fish, and immediately one team member must cull the teams limit down to five. If you are caught taking more than two dish out of the livewell and culling 'em, you are a candidate to be "dq'ed".

Naturally keep your eyes open during a tournament, but don't go looking for boogie men. Cheaters will be found out and dealt with accordingly. It takes a little time to load the canon, but once it goes off.....
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

The sad thing is that even though most of us wouldn't even think about cheating....theres people that cheat in EVERY sport (pretty much all aspects of life). That is something that nobody can argue about. When, where, how, I am not sure but I am positive it happens in bass fishing. The way I look at it is, just go out and do your best. Heck all those times I have blanked in tournaments seemed to be erased from my memory with a couple good fish on another trip. Just my .02
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.

Post by 619 »

No one will use polygraphs around here. Why??? The cheaters will disappear if the circuits would implement a polygraph. I hear they use them in AZ and some folks that were suspected of cheating stopped showing up.

I called a polygraph company a while back that was very familiar with doing tournaments. If I remember correctly it was 250 bucks to conduct one.

If I ran a circuit

1st place and big fish would be tested at random derbies during the year. I would charge 10 bucks extra entry fee to pay for it.

Some of my questions would be.

Have you ever cheated in a tournament?
Did you cheat in this tournament?
Have you ever intentionally snagged a bass?.
Did you snag a fish in this tournament?

What woulld you ask during the test?.
Would you pay an extra 10 bucks?

Check these out http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... t+cheaters
Last edited by 619 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texas john

Post by texas john »

Randy Pringle (WRL Wine Region TD...and all the rest) Informed the people at the awards ceremony for the Delta Wine Tournament in April that he had a client who he took out a few weeks prior to our tournament and was showing him the Delta. About a week prior to our tournament his former client called asking about people keeping large bass as pets on the Delta....So as the story goes this guy hooked up on a cage that had a handfull of "Nice" fish in it. I do not recall the remaining part of the story but I do recall Randy telling us he told the guy to let the fish go and call DFG or something along those line. So in case all of us are living in Never Never Land and have such faith in our fellow tournament anglers to not cheat...SOME OF THEM DO!! It is just a fact, if my time in the USMC taught me anything it is the 10% rule. 10% of the people out there are going to be on there own program doing their own thing, regardless of rules or anything else. So keep one eye out for the 10%er's!!!

Just my 0.02, and sorry to Randy if I did not get his story 100% :D right.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

you are right on ,it would take some serious criminal mind to plan to cheat for a bass tournament, allthough it has been done, will all the focus of people on our sport it will be harder and harder to cheat..

the worst thing ive seen is planting cover in the delta by some people, but this is not against the rules yet..
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I'm gunna start shooting steroids to performance enhance my patience. Lol.

Yeah I can't spell with an I phone. Deal with it's the steroids talkin
LL
Byron

Post by Byron »

I have a buddy that lives up in Henderson and fishes Mead alot. He also enjoys scuba diving there and has found many cages back in the 90's.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Cheating happens in all sports plain and simple. In one of the tournaments I fished these guys in A little aluminum boat caught this 6+ bass and these guys in A bass boat roll up to them and say hey we have A scale can we weight it fo you. Guys say yes bass boat speeds off with bass. Good thing is the guys got some of the CF #s and A good description of the guys and talked to the T.D. and they were caught!!!!

$$$$$$$ does strange things to people$$$$$$$$$$$$
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

Fishing is like golf. It’s the integrity “honestyâ€
MCSPIN

Post by MCSPIN »

What I hate is when you do good everyone thinks you cheated. My partner and I won a Puddingstone tournament with 5 fish for 28.28 and my big fish was 9.65. On the way up to get our awards a guy yelled from the crowd did you guys use crawdads. That same guy made other comments after that. We caught our fish on crankbaits. The good thing is that in my heart I know we didn't cheat. So everytime I see the two win plaques on the wall and the Angler of the year trophy I know we earned it.
Don't forget your MCSPINS
A good bait for all seasons
Remember Clean & Dry
www.Linexwest.com
www.Anglersmarine.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basssssman&search=Search
http://www.myspace.com/mcspinns
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Heck, as far as I am concerned everyone that beats me cheated..They found the fish and caught them and I didn't..Now if that isn't cheating, I don't know what is..

Actually I don't think there is as much cheating going on as some people might think..Does it happen, I am sure it does..Sometimes..

I believe the fishermen/women I compete against are as honest as they can be..Virtually all cheaters are eventually outed..People who value their reputation do not cheat..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Unfortunately all cheaters are not outed. When they did a 40 year drawdown here in AZ on a couple of lakes for dam inspection a few cages were found so it does happen. We have a huge big bass high dollar public tournament every year by one of the car dealers and you can bet some prizes are won by cheating. If you snag a cage leave it and gps the spot for a G&F stakeout. They love that and that is how the last few big cheaters were caught in the south. People are people and a certain percent are dishonest in every crowd.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

the one time having no water in our lakes is good, we would see these so called cages. way up on the bank....

I fish circuts that fish different bodies of water during the year. This makes you a complete fisherman and eliminates the guy who has a dock in disco bay....with that temptation and time after work to do these crazy so called cheating planning,

As much as Ive heard in the last year its just crazy....

I fish to compete!!
Sometimes we do good sometimes bad..

Money is nice but not why I compete,,,

we all have to have our eyes open,but not let it rule our minds.

go fish do your best the rest will take care of it self in due time...
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

Dan

It happens for sure, but you just have to deal with it and do the best you can and not let it get in your head, I know I have heard stories about all the big fish Bryan and I catch on live trout at Pedro but these stories are just put out by guys with really small private parts and no skills to find and catch thier own fish, but that is another thread entirely! I do not think a polygraph is legal if you have not had a certain amount of sleep right before you take it so it could create more legal problems than it fixes, it would probably scare away the guys who may cheat given the oportunity, but the really smart veteran cheaters (there are some out there) are the ones who are hardest to catch. Danny Peluso did it for a number of years and it seemed to work OK and it actually helped increase the number of boats that would show up, night time and spring are when it needs to be done! Bottom line is it does happen but you can't let that stop you from fishing, it will eventually catch up with those who do it!

RM
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Unfortunately there are many methods of cheating, I have personally seen some pretty strange things recently that would raise anyone's eyebrow. All I can say is that the "cheaters" are the ones who have to look themselves in the mirror everyday. I personally think that when there is a boat at stake for the winnings that a polygraph be mandatory.
www.xtremeglove.com
www.bpboatcenter.com
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I have found stringers before, but no cages.

On Folsom about 10 years back i was float tubin and found a stringer tied to a tree. I let the bass go and put 3 blue gill on there. There was a big tourney going. I didn't think about anyone cheating and that's what it was there for, thought whoever did it must have been over there limit. And was coming back to get those.

So I do think there is allot of cheating.
LL
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

There's different forms of cheating and yes, unfortuantly it does happen probably more than we would like to think. Guy working a big bed fish he can't get to go, blows the nest out with his big engine. Snagging bed fish. Happens all the time either by mistake or choice. Guys prefishing and driving back and forth through an area holding fish to spook them out so nobody else finds them. Not cheating but surely unsportsmen like conduct which should in my opinion DQ them. Tournament directors that don't respond to reported cheating or letting a big name angler get away with questionable conduct. Found a 4 lb. tied to the shell dock in Nice a few years back. Released him but put a weight on the rope to make it look like he was still there. Reported it to the TD staff which would have been an easy bust. Nothing happened. Don't mean to rant but living up here on Clear Lake you get to see it all.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Lots of people think its OK to cheat on their income tax. Or to not tell a store clerk when the get undercharged or when they get back more change than they deserve.

They cheat insurance companies. They cheat on time cards and on expense accounts. They steal from their employers. They cheat on their resumes and employment applications. They cheat on their wives and husbands. There is cheating in all sports and games.

Dont you guys thing that it is the total top of the list of naivete to think that fishing is so sacrosanct that people would refrain from cheating?

The bottom line is that If it is not policed it will continue to happen.

The problem is that if it is policed then the cheaters will stop entering tournaments and there for it is not good for business.

The reality is that if all tof the tournament orgs dont start giving lie detector tests then none will, because they are in a highly competitive business.

All of this having been said I will supply lie detector test for $50. per test based on the signing of a yearly contract for each tournament circuit that hires my services
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]