made in mexico??

rich mendoza

made in mexico??

Post by rich mendoza »

so i got some yamamoto baits in today, and they say made in mexico....i thought they made the stuff in az.. did they move production?
Owner @ canopygrenades.com
rico

Re: made in mexico??

Post by rico »

I wouldn't be surprised if they are having a factory in Mexico make the baits for them, as it would be cheaper than making them themselves.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

So does anyone know of a website where a person can input what hes looking for and it will give back a list of american companies, or mexican or korean or whatever that sell items you would like to buy made in that country ?
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

do you mean like alibaba.com ??
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Dont think I used it right. Put in the U.S. and fishing reels it gave me US companies but reels made in China :shock:

I saved it, will try later.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Some of the best Speed Traps were from Luhr-Jensen's hecho en Mexico era. Their current made in China ones, not so good. Storm's Mexican-made Chug Bugs were good 'uns too...
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Its a shame that so many things are made in "other" countrys now when we need the jobs and $$$ here in the USA. Just look at the differance in quality of a good many things not just in the fishing world but also in so many other things. Unfortunatly it's much cheeper to make these items abroad. Seems like the need for profit has outweighed the need for U.S. self preservation. Hopefully we can change this around some day.......................JMHO
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Its not only cause they are cheaper......Its also cause third world countries don't give rats a** about the enviro and don't have to obey to California or the US regulations on pollution.
LL South
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Very few reels and rods are made in the USA, most are off shore or have a few finishing touches completed here. Your best bet may be Ardent reels and custom rods. Unless you buy factory direct ABU Garcia made in Sweden reels are actually made in China, Korea or Malasia. Shimano and Daiwa reels could be Korean or made in Japan. All can easily have counterfit components. What a world we live in.
Injected molded soft plastics can be made anywhere, hand pours are usually domestic. Hard baits; depends on the quantity if they are mass produced off shore or hand made locally.
Roboworms and Huddlestons are made locally, my jigs are made in the garage, the rods & reels are vintage (old), so I'm using USA stuff.
Tom
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Tax the S@#T out of the products/companies usin foreign manufacturing , they"ll bring the work back . :twisted:
~ Tony
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

TonyL wrote:Tax the S@#T out of the products/companies usin foreign manufacturing , they"ll bring the work back . :twisted:
I think, with NAFTA (SHAFTA for the US worker) and the World Trade Organization, there won't be any taxing of imports to protect domestic jobs anytime soon.
In a perverse way, manufacturing in Mexico can be seen as a good thing because it keeps Mexican workers at home, working, instead of crossing the border illegally to try and make a living here for themselves and their families.
Not like jobs that are in China, Korea, or Indonesia.
Now I'm not down on Mexican people.
One of my best friends is "Made in Mexico". He immigrated when he was a kid with his mother and family, and they're all naturalized citizens now.
She brought her family here, and made a commitment to become a part of this county. Legally.
I do have a problem with illegal immigrants who only come across to work, and send the money back home, and then go back home when they feel like it.
Either stay here and apply for citizenship, or go back and fix your country so you can live there.
Sh*t or get off the pot.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

First and foremost, it is truly a world economy now.

That being said, most everyone complaining about items not being made in America now would be complaining much louder if they were... prices would be through the roof for everything you purchase. Face it - foreign manufacturing is the about the only way to keep costs down, as it is just plain expensive to manufacture here in the good ole' USA.

To me, many of the items are sufficiently crafted outside the USA for my standards and needs, and the funds do help many impoverished countries advance into the 21st Century.

I DO, however, try to by American when I can or when the quality is an issue especially when it is a big-ticket item or when I truly have an option.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
georgecopple

Post by georgecopple »

maybe thats why the last few bags of senko's i got weren't the quality they used to be? they weren't as soft as the old ones i had. anyone else notice that or did i just get a couple of bunk bags?
George Copple

Bass Anglers Guide
HookedUpTackle
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

You mean to tell me that GYCB doesn't make enough from a bag of senkos that retails for $6.99?
Delta is beast

Post by Delta is beast »

hahahah good one glenn
dont b a turkey
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Here is some American companies:

St. Croix rods

Berserk Baits - www.berserkbaits.com
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

mvanguilder wrote:Here is some American companies:

St. Croix rods
St. Croix has their lower end rods manufactured in Mexico and China (the Mojo and Premier series).
Andi

Post by Andi »

Here's a site that's helpful. http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi

Yes, American Made is expensive. I'd love to elaborate, but I'm heading out the door to the PAA.
Andi Sanders
Owner, Talon Series Custom Lures
www.talonlures.com
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

The way I see it is a Catch 22. American workers are expensive compared to those in Mexico, Korea, China, etc. That goes for every industry or job type. Everything from Customer Support Reps., computer technicians, doctors, general laborers and farmers and farm hands. Americans don't want to work hard for low wages. Mostly because it is more expensive to live here period.

So companies out source to make a bottom line.

The guys at the top want a profit margin while keeping prices reasonable for the consumer ... well somewhat reasonable.

So until the guys at the top aren't in it to get filthy rich the guys working the production line aren't going to get paid well or wont work so the guys at the top outsource. We the consumer / American workers will keep belly aching about high prices and lack of American jobs. Only thing is ... guys at the top have the choice to outsource ... we don't so much.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

St. Croix at least makes premier and above rods here in the US, cant say that about a lot of other companies!

Mike
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

mvanguilder wrote:St. Croix at least makes premier and above rods here in the US, cant say that about a lot of other companies
As I mentioned above, their Premier series is made in China. Their Mojo series is made in Mexico.
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Thanks for the clarification Fish Food, but where are all of there other rods made??
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

mvanguilder wrote:Thanks for the clarification Fish Food, but where are all of there other rods made??
As far as I recall, their Avids and higher series are still made in Wisconsin...
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Just curious Fish Food are there any other rods that are made here in the USA?
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

mvanguilder wrote:Just curious Fish Food are there any other rods that are made here in the USA?
A lot of fly rods and reels are probably still manufactured domestically. Same goes for saltwater rods and reels--brands like Accurate, ProGear, Newell, Avet, Seeker, Calstar, Tiburon, etc are manufactured or based in California.
biteme

Post by biteme »

OH thats why Yamo baits are soo much money :roll:
TEAM TOYOTA

Post by TEAM TOYOTA »

General Motors and Chrysler sent some production to Mexico also.........seem to have some issues , went BK. I would stay home .
Always have a goal!
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Sorry Fish Food I meant rod companies that make rods here in the USA besides St. Croix.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Lamiglas still makes their own rod blanks in Woodland WA. Loomis sold to Shimano several years ago.
The rod guides, reel seats are made off shore for every bass rod, most blanks are made off shore to the rod makers specifications, the components assembled either off shore or domestically.
I'm sure someone will up date the above.
Tom

Post by Guest »

One of the largest companys that makes silicone skirting material is made in viet nam.

Round rubber is made in indonisa
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

mvanguilder wrote:Sorry Fish Food I meant rod companies that make rods here in the USA besides St. Croix.
www.bigbearfishingrods.com

the blanks are made in the states and they are assembled here.
Andi

Post by Andi »

In terms of baits, ALL silicone skirts and tabs sold by the three US skirt manufacturers are made in Viet Nam.

Eagle Claw is the only company manufacturing a portion of their hooks domestically. Try selling a bait with an Eagle Claw hook...

Lakeland uses only domestic brass stock, plating materials and services for their blades and spoons. They're expensive, but the very best quality. Chinese blades are about 1/4 the price and it shows. They're the ones with the thin gauge, sharp edges and corrosion spots.

SAMPO is the ONLY ball bearing swivel produced in the United States, and the price reflects it. It's also the most reliable, smoothest bb swivel going. I can buy a chinese knock-off for about 1/2 the price, but the poor quality and resulting performance is horrible.

We have two US wire houses that use only domestic stainless steel and other alloys for frames. Chinese "stainless" frames are about 20% of the cost, but they rust.

The majority of weedguards sold domestically are manufactured in Illinois.

Tungsten 18M - US manufacturing is about 3x the cost per oz of the average chinese cost. I don't know of anyone using a US manufacturer. Can you imagine paying 3x more for a 1oz tungsten weight?

In the tackle industry, when we committ to a domestic route we have to be very crafty in our management. Otherwise we end up the one's earning a chinaman's wage off a $7 spinnerbait and a $3.29 jig. That's my $.02
Andi Sanders
www.talonlures.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Andi,
Falcon Rods used to be made in the USA. Is that still the case?
And what about Revenge Lures?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Andi

Post by Andi »

Mark, I'm not up on rod info at all. As far as I know, Revenge baits are built in CA. I've heard great things about the baits and the company.
Andi Sanders
www.talonlures.com
DL

Post by DL »

Andi wrote:Mark, I'm not up on rod info at all. As far as I know, Revenge baits are built in CA. I've heard great things about the baits and the company.
Ray moved Revenge to Alabama earlier this year. But his baits are still built in the US.. :D
"Feel the steel"
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Kistler was the original owner of Falcon Rods and sold the company.
I'm not possitive if Kistler is making rod blanks domestically or off shore and assembling components here. Falcon blanks, I'm told, are made in China.
Dobyns rod started out with Lamiglas, then went to China for production of the current models.
I don't know of any rods being made in Mexico?
Tom
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

I think Dobyn's rods moved from China to Korea after problems with his first series of Rods. The second generation of rods is alot better than the originals I hear. Don't have any.

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Marc

QuickDrops

Post by Marc »

QuickDrops dropshot sinkers are made in the USA.

ciao,
Marc
Triton Mike

Post by Triton Mike »

rich mendoza wrote:so i got some yamamoto baits in today, and they say made in mexico....i thought they made the stuff in az.. did they move production?
Rich, I just emailed my contacts at GYCB. They are telling me that ONLY the tubes and TUBES ONLY are made in Mexico and they are trying to get that back to being made in the US. So by chance your baits saying made in Mexico were tubes?? I can attest that different machinery is needed for tubes..

Mike

GYCB prostaff..
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

yep mike they were tubes!! thanks for the follow up.