Speaking of OS X and PC's............

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
drrakruz

Speaking of OS X and PC's............

Post by drrakruz »

Recently, a thread on Home computer security was locked on the main bass fishing forum:

http://westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53446&f=2

If you didn't catch what was zapped and locked, I am here to briefly summarize what some may have missed.

There were a few differences of opinions between myself and a mod that related to the promotion of MACS based on their web security. The mod left his posts and zapped mine, which, by the way are still posted under the wrong discussion forum as per rule #1.

For those of you who have had problems with your PC's (specifically with viruses), or have never had the good fortune of owning and operating on a MAC, This topic may apply to you, specifically if all you do is surf the net and read emails. I admit that industry programs are limited, but more software has been surfacing in local commerce lately.

FACTS: One thing people need to know about the OS system on a MAC is that it DOES NOT get viruses. Some of you might say "BS" to that, and I'll ask you if you have a newer MAC with the newer Intel chip that allows you to run both MAC and Windows. Those do get viruses, because of the cross-platform they were designed to run. When they were produced and tested at the factory, MAC only checked for compatibility; they WERE NOT tested on the Internet beore leaving the line.

Yes, there are corrupt individuals who live to scam EVERYONE into unknowingly giving up their private information on the Internet. This process is known as "Phishing" (pronounced like "fishing").

Bottom line? Do your research and be cautious on the net, no matter what machine you use.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
Greg_Cornish

Re: Speaking of OS X and PC's............

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I cut my teeth on computers in 1985, getting an Apple Three an an IBM PC at nearly the same time. I studied database structure and learned how to transfer data between the two platforms. I've owned over 35 computers since then, ran a graphics shop and remember the days when Mac did get viruses. I think the last Mac virus program I bought was in 1991 on system six called Scores. There was one circulating after that but I never got it.

I love it when I go to a site that wants to install malware or spyware on my Mac by installing a small program you need to download in order to see what you came to see. The website says, "Sorry, to view this site, you must be using a PC." :D I know what that means!

I bought a PC and installed a TV card on it. I used it before TIVO came out and could record live TV and video to DVD. It worked pretty good for that. I installed a free Virus checker called AVG but one time they did keep up to date on one virus and I had to reformat and install my stuff again or spend $75 to have it done. So after about 12 hours of labor I was back online.

Norton was my next investment. Soon my PC was so burdoned it would barely run. Everyone using PCs said, get Macafee. I did. Within a week I was getting errors, Macafee wouldn't update. Macafee doesn't have good technical support and I said to hell with it. I set the computer on the floor. I get billed about $40 for Macafee every year and call them and tell them to stop charging me. I dispute it on my credit card and win. Every year I get charged again. It just takes one call to VISA now is the good part.

My shop repaired both PCs and Macs. Most of my customers had Macs. 95% of of the hardware repair was on PCs. 50% of the computer I repair were Macs, but it was usually a cdev or init compatibility easily cured by shutting off 5 at a time until it worked. I think 5% of the Macs in the door were hardware related.

Most of the time when people bought in their Macs they would work just because they'd been powered down and turned back on again.

After years of using a PC my brother was talked into buying a Mac. He cursed it up and down. He was so trained on a PC he was convinced a Mac couldn't do what a PC could. We finally started screen sharing where I took control of his computer online and showed him things that he thought he couldn't do. All he could say is WOW!

Without a doubt OS X is the best operating system on the planet. Second is Linux Ubuntu. Ubunbtu is slick!

The reason Macs don't have viruses is three fold.

1. Its harder to write them for a Mac.
2. Why write viruses for less than 15% of the marketshare
3. Apple diligently searches for security glitches and updates you constantly on the net. By the time a hacker got done exploiting a Mac security hole, the hole might be filled.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
sTony

Post by sTony »

Really it boils down to the PC's having an open system architecture and the MAC being a closed system. Although they don't get virus' per say Macs are still vulnerable to 'malware' issues, which is largely what many people refer to as a virus issue when in fact it's not.

Any computer connecting to the internet is potentially vulnerable to attack via malware, including Macintosh computers. Because of the open system that the PC's run, which lead to their dominance in the marketplace, it's much easier to infect or damage a PC then a Mac.

And yes, the Intel processors used in new generation Macs make them much more susceptible to virus and malware attack.

sTony
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

sTony wrote:Really it boils down to the PC's having an open system architecture and the MAC being a closed system. Although they don't get virus' per say Macs are still vulnerable to 'malware' issues, which is largely what many people refer to as a virus issue when in fact it's not.

Any computer connecting to the internet is potentially vulnerable to attack via malware, including Macintosh computers. Because of the open system that the PC's run, which lead to their dominance in the marketplace, it's much easier to infect or damage a PC then a Mac.

And yes, the Intel processors used in new generation Macs make them much more susceptible to virus and malware attack.

sTony
Really?

FYI, Malware is the free “anti-virusâ€
Sponsors:
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
sTony

Post by sTony »

drrakruz wrote:
sTony wrote:Really it boils down to the PC's having an open system architecture and the MAC being a closed system. Although they don't get virus' per say Macs are still vulnerable to 'malware' issues, which is largely what many people refer to as a virus issue when in fact it's not.

sTony
Really?

drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

sTony wrote:
drrakruz wrote:

sTony
Really?

Sponsors:
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
sTony

Post by sTony »

drrakruz wrote:
sTony wrote:
drrakruz wrote:
Really?

drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

sTony wrote:
drrakruz wrote:
sTony wrote:
Really?

Sponsors:
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!