Gimble Mount -HDS-7

rdearmond

Gimble Mount -HDS-7

Post by rdearmond »

Whats the best way to mount the 3x7" gimble mount to a Z20 at the helm. I'm pretty sure I know where to mount the gimble: SS screws, silicone directly to the drivers gunnel but as far as the wiring getting the wires to the unit. It looks like I would blow a 1-inch +/- hole through the gunnel inorder to get all the wires to the head unit. But is there any hot rod set-up to make the hole clean as in rubber gromet silicone or lowrance / ranger OEM rubber

Thanks Corey D
Schneider Fishing

Re: Gimble Mount -HDS-7

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Give the guys at Angler's a call. They rigged up my HDS-7 on my Z21.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

You can do as robert said but I have the feeling your looking to do this yourself so there is tons of GREAT INFO on this at

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=13

and

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=42

not trying to stir the pot but if you don't know about BBC then your missing the boat on aton of good info
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Get an upgraded ram mount, odds are your 7 will be on the deck and an 8 or 10 will be at the helm before to long....
lacy10

Post by lacy10 »

I just recently put the hds7 in the dash never having to take it off again , I think the only draw backs are you can't turn it around to see it from the front deck, and sometimes you might have a little glare on it because of the mounting angle, ( I have not had this problem , and it is a very small chance) it took just a little more cutting with a jig saw and it fit right in the hole of my old 332 lms
rdearmond

Post by rdearmond »

NAR:

I have the up-grade, it's a monster. Ram-Mount specs. out the same mount for HDS 7, 8, and 10. When I opened the package today it looks like it could hold up a 60-inch big screen. I double checked the part No. and it appears to be the correct one, it just looks huge. RAM-D-111U-C
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Thats the 1 use it
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

That giant ram has got to be the only way to go. We were using the size just below that with the 997c si and it didn't work so well. It did fine in calm conditions but when we went to mead and got beat up, it swung all over the place.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

You need the mounting puck from Ranger to put it where the original RAM was bolted. You can run the wires through a hole behind the unit with a clam or I have seen guys cutting a notch under the puck and bringing the wires up that way. Here is a photo of mine.

Post by 619 »

Don't forget the plastic wedge that goes under the ball. Notice under Robert F pics.
rdearmond

Post by rdearmond »

Thanks Guys,
The plastic shim RobertF has is the ticket. I figured you guys would have a clean way to install the unit.

Post by 619 »

Ranger has the wedges
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I would seriously consider the Ram Swing Mount. RAM-109HU

Scott