Post by rich mendoza »

FSHRFWL

Re: pumps will be runnin

Post by FSHRFWL »

Food Grows were water flows!!!
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

FSHRFWL wrote:Food Grows were water flows!!!

yeah everyone I know is eating cotton and alfafa these days.

If the water was going only to farms that grow food people eat we would not have a water issue.
just shut up and fish
FSHRFWL

Post by FSHRFWL »

I bet you wear cotton and the alfalfa feeds the cattle that provide your meat and milk! Also a lot of tomatoes, melons and almonds are grown down there.

If you like foreign oil your gonna love foreign food!!!
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Where water flows.....money came from..... :lol:

And HELLO.....when aren't the bastard pumps running. Shiot every weekend I launch from there I have to get on plane to get out of RE. :evil:

http://aquafornia.com/archives/17963
http://cbs5.com/local/california.farmer ... 36484.html

I come from the valley.
LL South
FSHRFWL

Post by FSHRFWL »

Whats wrong with farmers making money??? Jeez, you cannot live without food, what is so wrong with someone making a living at providing for you.
Levy

Post by Levy »

FSHRFWL wrote:Whats wrong with farmers making money??? Jeez, you cannot live without food, what is so wrong with someone making a living at providing for you.
Nothing is wrong with making a living. Farming where there is no water does not make much sense now does it??? I really hope you are not trying to justify the pumps cause if you are you are on the wrong site!!!
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Nothings wrong with people making honest money farming.....I come from farmers...But what is wrong is taking allocated subsidized irrigation water and selling to municipalities for $$$$$.
LL South
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Did you even look at the 2 simple quick links I provided. Google it yourself. I can remember growing up on the now defunct Kings River when it had water year round. Now it's a big deal to see it run past the ranch for a few months and maybe take a dip or 50 in it and the occasional float trip before they cut....yes cut it off. What a spectular river it could be providing miles and miles of outdoor recreation..Now its essentialy a canal.
LL South
b2customrods

Post by b2customrods »

Can someone tell me why California has farmers growing rice? This is one of the worst water resource hogs there is.
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

build more dams. build desalinization plants. Support new dams with fish hatcheries.
everyone wins.

exporting water is not the answer.
just shut up and fish
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

New dams don't fly cause the salmon lobby (even when the dam doesn't affect salmon).

Desalinization plants are expensive, that's whay southern CA doesn't want to build them (there's a BS reason if I ever heard one!)

As for the rice farming, yeah, I love me some rice, and got "rice relatives" and there is two very good sides to that argument, so that's a moot point.

Reclaimed/recycled wastewater is going to be a big part of "the answer", but we gotta get past the gross factor, because people don't realize what comes out of wastewater treatment plants is a whole lot cleaner than all of our drinking water supplies.
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

dam + hatchery will boost salmon populations.

most of the hatcheries are closed down and or running at 50% capacity.
Mad river, 50% and talking of closure.
eel river closed.
redwood creek closed

rivers that still get a good run are the ones with hatcherys and dams.
Trinity river
American river (nibus basin)
Feather river
to mention a few off the top of my head.
You can not dam a river taking away great protions of spawning grounds and expect to have salmon. hatchries seem to help alot with this problem. Trouble is the state dose not want to spend money to hatch.

I hear that they do not like the desalinization plants because of the salt thats left over or produced. Marin wanted a plant but the enviro nuts stopped it.

I keep hearing about restoring the delta to what it once was.

how about we restore the south to a deseret as it STILL IS
I am concerned about the lizzards, snakes and cactusus.
All the little creatures that inhabit the desert are victims.
How dare one want to flood thier homes.
just shut up and fish
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

How much water is enough?

They pump so much water south that mother nature is throwing in the towel.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

FSHRFWL wrote:Whats wrong with farmers making money??? Jeez, you cannot live without food, what is so wrong with someone making a living at providing for you.
Ah, you mean the farmers living in Beverly Hills (and not on their actual "farm") that have generously raised the standard of living in South San Joaquin Valley inhabitants by sharing their wealth derived at the expense of our habitat?! :lol:

If the water werent' being used to irrigate old sea beds/shells and the run off weren't so toxic, I'd be more open minded. But, why should our habitat die off and why do we have to pass an $11 Bil water bond to irrigate horrible ag lands that should be retired.

And, BTW, they aren't in the ag business as they are as much in the water business.

Read: http://www.lloydgcarter.com/content/091 ... oyd-carter

Until Westlands abides by the law and properly disposes of the wastewater, not a drop should go their way. :!: They are breaking the law and DiFi, et al. don't dare hold them accountable.

In the meantime, San Luis Res. is filling up!