Thank god the pumps are on for west side farmers

Re: Thank god the pumps are on for west side farmers

Post by Guest »

wow people are getting upset its just water :D And you better hope judge wanger dont drop dead or hope he does'nt get replaced after the next election. Can you say REPUBLICIANS if this happens the water will flow delta smelt or no delta smelt. Funny how goverment works.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

jigfish1 wrote:wow people are getting upset its just water :D And you better hope judge wanger dont drop dead or hope he does'nt get replaced after the next election. Can you say REPUBLICIANS if this happens the water will flow delta smelt or no delta smelt. Funny how goverment works.
Nah, it's only SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA's interests, direct and indirect. :roll: And, the only people that seem to care much about those interests in Northern California in general, are the politicians who work only at getting re-elected... So, yeah, funny how it works. :roll:

Some say the politicians have forgotten their constituency or don't know their constituency. On the contrary, 'they' know their constituiency pretty darn well and they know any issue more complex than voting down a DMV sur-tax will be an issue they won't be held accountable for, etc. i.g.; The 'water issue' is too complex for the average voter.

Sadly, 'we' get the politicians 'we' deserve..... :roll:
Topwater Terry

As I have said before, I guess nobody in No Cal

Post by Topwater Terry »

waters their lawn, has a swimming pool, or washes their car? Geesh, get over it!
CN

Re: As I have said before, I guess nobody in No Cal

Post by CN »

Topwater Terry wrote:waters their lawn, has a swimming pool, or washes their car? Geesh, get over it!
Where is the border between Northern California and Southern California :? I've always wanted to know :?: and Ive lived here since 1956 Terry.

The Southern part of the State is dry but it is California.

Salinas,CA. North :? or South :?:

Post by Guest »

But if you ship the water south to them that means they'll keep there boats and vacationing in southern ca the more water they have too fill there lakes the more room we have to fish then everybody's happy. we should have salmon runs and we should protect the delta smelt gosh there putting food are tables. And as for stony greed OF the american people put contractors out of business taking out loans they know they couldnt pay back blame fanny may and freddie mac dont blame the goverment for people being greedy. New homes rv's bassboats wake board boats suv motorcycles toy haulers. again dont blame the goverment for people losing there jobs or companys going under they didnt cause it greed did.
sTony

Post by sTony »

jigfish1 wrote:But if you ship the water south to them that means they'll keep there boats and vacationing in southern ca the more water they have too fill there lakes the more room we have to fish then everybody's happy. we should have salmon runs and we should protect the delta smelt gosh there putting food are tables. And as for stony greed OF the american people put contractors out of business taking out loans they know they couldnt pay back blame fanny may and freddie mac dont blame the goverment for people being greedy. New homes rv's bassboats wake board boats suv motorcycles toy haulers. again dont blame the goverment for people losing there jobs or companys going under they didnt cause it greed did.
Keep buying into the rhetoric Mark. I expect nothing less.

But you might want to do some fact checking. All of California's ag business combined contributes less then 10% to the nations' annual agricultural output. Westlands accounts for an extremely small part of the $35 billion California farmers produce each year and without government subsidies likely wouldn't show much profit at all. You're being BS'd and you're buying into it. And while the jobs lost down there are being blamed on Delta Smelt the truth is the commercial fisheries and those that make their living from it have lost ten times the jobs. It's not even close.

I've never faulted folks living in SoCal for our water worries. I do fault the developers who've continued to build new communities down there without first having the resources available to support it. That's greed and lunacy wrapped into one.

Plus you can't ignore the simple fact, that I like to point out from time to time, and that is that if all the contracted water had been shipped to all the farmers out there, we'd have next to nothing for the entire state in no time at all. So they can build their tunnels and conveyances all they want. None of it puts a drop of water INTO the dammed reservoirs that make up the state watershed. It merely takes away from it faster. How does that solve any of the current problems? It doesn't.

So, when do we start the recall for Arnold? And, more importantly to my mind, when will California stop electing actors and lifetime politicians to run the state? They're obviously running it into the ground while their personal coffers continue to grow.

sTony
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

sTony,
As long as we have private financing of public office, we'll continue to only have candidates who are bought by big money, because they will be the only ones who can afford to run.

And big money is spending big time right now.
I work, off and on, for someone who handles political and issue campaigns.
He called me the other day about something at his house, and I asked him how he was doing.
He said he had never been busier, that he had thirteen different proposals to get passed. He was kind of embarassed at how much work he had, in these bad times.
So big money is out there, spending and buying influence, and finding a way to get some of our tax money.
I'm pretty sure the canal/tunnel idea is supported heavily by the companies that will be doing the work.
We have a system that creates political "whores", and lots of rich "johns" are standing in line to buy/pay them.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Mark,

Name the Companies that are pay'in in too the system that will benefit and the politians that would be for it.
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-

Post by Guest »

Bottom line is that waters going to flow dont matter who's out of work.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

sTony wrote:
jigfish1 wrote:But if you ship the water south to them that means they'll keep there boats and vacationing in southern ca the more water they have too fill there lakes the more room we have to fish then everybody's happy. we should have salmon runs and we should protect the delta smelt gosh there putting food are tables. And as for stony greed OF the american people put contractors out of business taking out loans they know they couldnt pay back blame fanny may and freddie mac dont blame the goverment for people being greedy. New homes rv's bassboats wake board boats suv motorcycles toy haulers. again dont blame the goverment for people losing there jobs or companys going under they didnt cause it greed did.
Keep buying into the rhetoric Mark. I expect nothing less.

But you might want to do some fact checking. All of California's ag business combined contributes less then 10% to the nations' annual agricultural output. Westlands accounts for an extremely small part of the $35 billion California farmers produce each year and without government subsidies likely wouldn't show much profit at all. You're being BS'd and you're buying into it. And while the jobs lost down there are being blamed on Delta Smelt the truth is the commercial fisheries and those that make their living from it have lost ten times the jobs. It's not even close.

I've never faulted folks living in SoCal for our water worries. I do fault the developers who've continued to build new communities down there without first having the resources available to support it. That's greed and lunacy wrapped into one.

Plus you can't ignore the simple fact, that I like to point out from time to time, and that is that if all the contracted water had been shipped to all the farmers out there, we'd have next to nothing for the entire state in no time at all. So they can build their tunnels and conveyances all they want. None of it puts a drop of water INTO the dammed reservoirs that make up the state watershed. It merely takes away from it faster. How does that solve any of the current problems? It doesn't.

So, when do we start the recall for Arnold? And, more importantly to my mind, when will California stop electing actors and lifetime politicians to run the state? They're obviously running it into the ground while their personal coffers continue to grow.

sTony
Yes. The State has water contracts to deliver 9+ time more water each year than what is annually replenished each year via rain fall. So, in essence, we're in a constant 'drought' year after year because the idiot water contractors, driven by politicians, 'sold' more than what can be produced.

$11 billion water bond, canal, tunnel, et al. is all to cover their collective behinds..... Any employee in the private sector would be immediately fired if they contractually obligated their company into Terms and Conditions that cannot be met, period.

On yeah, $11 billion BOND issued by a State with a horrible rating..... what are we now? Triple Z? :roll: Care to guess what the debt service will be on $11 billion bond issued by the State of California?! Great deal for the buyer of the bond, but this state will go bankrupt servicing that debt.

Post by Guest »

Well if we can keep 47,000 developers and contractors out of business.Then maybe the great state of ca. can get back to doing what they do best and thats farming. Again those contractors and developers have nobody too blame for been out of work but them selfs. Northern ca. is losing the battle slowly but its coming not to worry.
Dom

Post by Dom »

MikeL, Yep that was it but I think the poison is from the run off like Justin said. Point is, it's BS how BAD food, drugs, etc.... Can get by the FDA. I want to know are/can the farmers get sued for knowingly harvesting contaminated food and selling it to my kids!

Sounds like a Class Action law suit to me. Funny thing is out of the 3 farmers I spoke with I asked each one "so how do you feel knowing your selling pioson?" 1 told me "dont blame me, blame Congress" and the other 2 told me "hey we gotta eat to"

I did not agree with either statement made and I told all three thats a cop-out answer (yea, I got a mouth lmao) You know right from wrong and 2 wrongs never make a right! I told em well looks like its time to look for a new line of work or sell and buy else where. I was told the land aint worth nothing without water and they know nothing else so their hands are tied. Again dont give them the right to sell poison!

Again, Im just sayin......
Tight Lines Dom
Vince E

Post by Vince E »

Point is, it's BS how BAD food, drugs, etc.... Can get by the FDA.
Almost like the FDA is a waste of our money all while creating a body that gets to choose WHO gets to bring products to market isn't it?

Get rid of them, the USDA and most of the acronyms sucking our blood and we would find a way to provide what they supposedly provide with a lot more efficiency and a lot less preferential treatment to some over others. Family farms might have a chance again.
It all has to do with misuse of resources. Why is the question. What is the mode that allows it to happen?
Greed.. maybe. Where is the line drawn between greed and ambition? Is ambition wrong? Even when ambition crosses the line into outright greed, what enables said greed to gain any real power?
Would it happen in a truly free market economy, unlike the govt directed one we currently muddle by in that allows special interest to grow regardless of their party?

Anyway, there is another angle on why water gets sent to wastelands while good farming land gets other uses.

Here's an interesting article, although I'm sure those of you who live a little closer that this author know a bit more about it. I used to roam around that area a lot but I haven't in a decade or so.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... lumburbia/
The great non sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State.
hydro

Post by hydro »

Two questions .......
1) how big of a de-salinization plant could be built in So. Cal. for $11 billion dollars?

2) If Quagga mussels were discovered in the Delta would they still want the water?