Having Trouble at Collins Lake. PLEASE HELP?

Rgodtre

Having Trouble at Collins Lake. PLEASE HELP?

Post by Rgodtre »

I live 10 minutes away from Collins Lake and I am having no luck at all fishing there. Any suggestions, hints, tips, tricks or anything would be greatly appreciated. I really want to do well there and I just havnt been able to figure that lake out. Im new to fishing on a boat and very frustrated, I thought it was easier than off the bank.
robertthornton

Re: Having Trouble at Collins Lake. PLEASE HELP?

Post by robertthornton »

Just drive up to bullards and get your bait wet, you will do just fine.
give Collins a month.
texas john

Post by texas john »

Collins is tough this time of the year, your best bet is to be throwing a HUD right now looking for those earlybig girls. Also a jig on and around the dam can be good, also try that around the old road bed. When it warms up senkos work pretty good as well as Cb's and DS.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

I am planning on going out there in a few weeks to camp and fish, so hopefully there will be a bite going by then :lol:

I have never fished Bullards Bar, so maybe I should go out there instead, in a few weeks would that be a better bet than Collins?
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Bullards would be way better for numbers. Collins has some big largemouth and some big spots but they can be HARD to come by. I fish both lakes regularly and Bullards is way more consistent. The spots at Bullards have gotten pretty healthy too. I caught numerous 3#ers and a few 4#ers there last year.
ASD

Post by ASD »

lowerider wrote:Bullards would be way better for numbers. Collins has some big largemouth and some big spots but they can be HARD to come by. I fish both lakes regularly and Bullards is way more consistent. The spots at Bullards have gotten pretty healthy too. I caught numerous 3#ers and a few 4#ers there last year.
+1 if you want 1 big girl go to Collins if you want to catch a limit go to the bar
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Collins needs to warm a bit - usually improves a lot in March. The jig bite is pretty good thru March and April. Look for rocky areas in the afternoon.
Rgodtre

Post by Rgodtre »

If Bullards is the way any suggestions for fishing there too.
Hard times flush the Chumps!
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

What happened to the days where Bullards produced nothing more than 1.2 oz spotted bass?
Glad to see that it's not pumping out some good fish, its too nice of a lake not to have good fishing!
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
fishnhunt21

Post by fishnhunt21 »

Been awhile since I have been there, but always did good on jigs with a lot of purple in them and Norman CBs. The one that was sliver with a black top on it.
texas john

Post by texas john »

Had a buddy up at bullards in the fall, same ol same ol, just a ton of 1-1.5 lb spots with the occasional and very rare 3 lb fish. Still he told me they caught over 100 in one day!!
www.pepperjigs.com
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

I fished Bullards about 5 times last year and caught about 8 fish over 3 lbs. There are plenty of 3+ Spots to be had there. I dont know what your buddy was throwing but most my bigger fish came on jigs early or late in the day. I am not bragging and I am definitely not a great fisherman. I'm just your average weekend warrior but I am surprised he didnt catch more quality than he did. That lake has really improved in the past few years.
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

lowerider wrote:I fished Bullards about 5 times last year and caught about 8 fish over 3 lbs. There are plenty of 3+ Spots to be had there. I dont know what your buddy was throwing but most my bigger fish came on jigs early or late in the day. I am not bragging and I am definitely not a great fisherman. I'm just your average weekend warrior but I am surprised he didnt catch more quality than he did. That lake has really improved in the past few years.
Im planning on going here for the first time in a couple weeks, is there any areas of the lake you feel like I should fish more than others?
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
Colebass

Here is what you need to do!

Post by Colebass »

Collins can be tuff in Jan/Feb. But the main body is where you need to be with Jigs, Texas rigged worms and dart heads. Use football head jigs in Brown and purple or Black and brown. Fish slow, that water is likely mid to high 40's. For worms use Arron's Magic or Black Grape, both work well in stained water. You can also use Berkley Power worms, Black with Chartruse tail.

Once the water warms into the 50's and is on the way up, go to rip baits, cranks and some swimbaits. Also move to the westside of the lake or northwest pockets as the water is warm faster and fish will be moving to the bank!

Good Luck.
Dave Cole
Cesar L

Re: Here is what you need to do!

Post by Cesar L »

I've been killing them at collins. Start deep and work your way shallow. 2 6lbers in the last week
The Lone Angler

Re: Here is what you need to do!

Post by The Lone Angler »

In addition to what the others have said, if you want some numbers, pick up a crankbait the last hour of daylight and hit as much of the east bank of the lake as you can. Can be lights out from feb-april.
texas john

Post by texas john »

lowerider wrote:I fished Bullards about 5 times last year and caught about 8 fish over 3 lbs. There are plenty of 3+ Spots to be had there. I dont know what your buddy was throwing but most my bigger fish came on jigs early or late in the day. I am not bragging and I am definitely not a great fisherman. I'm just your average weekend warrior but I am surprised he didnt catch more quality than he did. That lake has really improved in the past few years.
I found out through some Army Corps guys that a couple of years ago they changed the water they were letting out of Bullards. It used to be that they let the warmer water release to head down stream and ultimatly end up in Englebright. They now release the colder water keeping the warmer water at Bullards. I imagine this has something to do with the recent improvements. I cant wait to get up there this year and give it a try!!
www.pepperjigs.com
ugly stick

Post by ugly stick »

Hes telling the truth too! He got spanked at clearlake a few times last summer with the FROG!! Right lowerider?? LMFAO
Rgodtre

Post by Rgodtre »

I'm gonna try BB tomorrow with my daughter. Hopefully I'll have something good to say. Even a full day of 1.5 lb spots would be great. At this point any fish is good fish! Thanks for all the help guys. I really appriciate it.
Rgodtre

Post by Rgodtre »

Had a tough day at Bullards today. Both my daughter and I got bites on our fish casts but other than that nada! No fish, very frustrating. There was alot of boats out there hopefully they had more luck than we did.
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Man I second that! Fished for 4 hrs without a bite. Tried jigs from 30 feet in to 5 feet. Threw suspending jerkbait. Sweet beaver from 10 feet to 40 feet. Drug a small paddletail. Fished rockpiles and main lake points for a big fat 0! Fished this lake some last year and did pretty well but today was tough for me. It was still a beautiful day up there. Saw a lot of fisherman but didnt see anyone hook up around me.