Need Help Catching a Scumbag!

John Brossard

Need Help Catching a Scumbag!

Post by John Brossard »

I have been out of the Bass scene for the last five years and decided to get back in. I just bought a boat and decided to go retrieve my "tackle store" that has been in storage for the last five years. When I got to the storage facility there was a different lock on my unit. The Manager told me that 7 units were broken into about a month ago including mine. Needless to say, the SCUMBAGS cleaned me out, probably $20,000+ of brand new tackle gone plus several Loomis rods & high dollar Shimano reels. If you run across any Scumbag trying to sell large quantities of quality gear for cheap Shoot First and ask question later. then let me know who it was.

Here is a short list of stolen items, most still new in the box

Two huge tubs of NEW Swimbaits, mostly Osprey, Mission Fish, & Castiac

One huge tub of NEW Lucky Craft rip baits and lipless cranks 200+.

One huge tub of New deep cranks, dd22s, Lucky Craft, etc.

Several Cases of new speedtraps

Large tub of new frogs mostly snagproof old style

large tub of spinner baits and buzz baits.

Two huge tubs of plastics, mostly Yamamoto, Zoom, etc.

huge tub of topwater spooks, sammies, ricos

Several Loomis Shimano combos

The list goes on but if I go on I think I'm going to PUKE!

Who ever tries to sell this stuff will look like he robbed a tackle store, well he pretty much did.

Please let me know if you have any info.

Thanks,

John Brossard
kane-o

Re: Need Help Catching a Scumbag!

Post by kane-o »

that sucks.... just wondered why the storage place did not call to notify you of the break in ? you might have been able to track it down sooner, its been a month, i would bet most of your stuff has already been sold or pawned.... does the storage unit have insurance ? maybe claim it on your home owners insurance policy ? makes me sick to my stomach to hear this... sorry for your loss... :cry: :(
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

That sucks man. I too find it strange that the storage place didn't notify you..I'd be raising hell to them about that.
-Adam Paseman
Dom

Post by Dom »

That really suks John, why does bad stuff happen to good people? I would sue the storage place thats for sure they should have notified you just sounds fishy to me.

Why wouldn't they and most storages are fenced in with security camaras you could have had the police look at the security tape ,etc... if they had notified you.

I would not let this go 20,000 dollars is alot of money to be out I would ask questions at least and see what they got to say.

I will keep my out

best of luck to you John
Tight Lines Dom
John Brossard

Post by John Brossard »

The storage company did try to contact me but the phone number and address they had were from 5 years ago, it's not their fault, they we're waiting for me to come in. I always pay them online so I was never concerned about not receiving statements. I would go there every couple months just to check up on things and dust off the cobwebs. There is a Police report, a Highway Patrolman did see the bad guys but by the time he was able to get to there they had left, I will know more on Monday. You sign a contract with the storage facility that you will provide your own insurance. I probably have homeowners coverage, that will be a nightmare documenting. I think I am more interested in just catching the pukes or at least making them look over there shoulder.

Thanks,
John
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

I feel for you. F#$%^&N thieves!!! :evil: I will keep an eye out for the stuff you described.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

I know and feel the pain...

A few years ago... I went to my storage unit to get out some tackle for a trip to the sierras with my bro. I go to my unit and I go to put the key into the lock and realize the lock was cut...

I lift up the door and it's all gone...

All my rods, mostly phoenix borons with shimano reels...my custom wrapped rods from Yo's Tackle...yes the master himself....all gone...

all my tackle gone, including alot of old time baits not made anymore...lots of Team Daiwa rip baits....cases of roboworms and yamamoto's including the old twin t's...

sorry for your loss man...it sux...

and ya the homeowners insurance....a royal pain....

plus you cant replace old tackle...or custom wrapped rods...
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

Sorry for your loss I hate thieves...

Sounds to me that the storage company didn't really give a damn or they would have contacted you...All they would have had to do is track down the billing address from your online payments...
flipit

Post by flipit »

John,
I hope things work out for you with the insurance. May I also say, "welcome back". I too took a 6 year break and now Im having a blast every time Im on the water.

Sean
Fishing should be fun.
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

Funny how your stuff has been locked up for 5 years but you managed to have 2 tubs of new swimbaits.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

John, sorry for the loss of your property. Had the same thing happened to my old room mate and me 15 years ago at a Public Storage in Redwood City. This was back when we were both single and had lots of expensive hobbies. They cleaned us both out of scuba gear, snow skis, mountain bikes, backpacking equipment...it sucked beyond belief.
The one cool thing was the insurance company. I had renters insurance and they covered most everything. They depreciated items based on age and cut me a check, but I had a year to replace items with like kind and they would reimburse when I sent in the receipts if I actually replaced an item. I didn't have to buy things on sale, just the same or like kind. All I had to do was provide some proof of ownership. Receipts or even photos that had the items in the picture. An example was a backpacking trip where we took a photo of our base camp. We identified the big ticket items tents, packs, etc. and they let us fill in the blanks with some of the other essentials not pictured. State Farm was pretty fair through the whole process.
Having said that, I am still pissed about the theft. The management at the place made it sound like it never happens, but the police told us it happens all the time. The thieves don't have to break in. They can rent a small unit and take their time watching who puts stuff in and bump the pad locks or cut em.
Check with your homeowner's or renter's insurance if you have it. You should be covered for some of it.
Good luck.
DOWDY

Post by DOWDY »

John it was good to see you on you on the water the other day with your boys, and teaching them to use baitcasters so young is awsome. I can loan you some rods reels baits etc. if you need some till you get yours replaced. 272-3037.
BassCatPuma

Post by BassCatPuma »

Guyle, Not sure what you are saying but did not come across very well. I personally know John and can tell you NO BODY has the stock he had. When the Swim Bait craze started up there he was the man and he bought everything on the shelfs and I am sure he had more than 2 full tubs of new unopened baits. He was nice enough to borrow my boat once and left 2 cases of LV's in it.
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.purefishing.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.rodwraps.com
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Guyle wrote:Funny how your stuff has been locked up for 5 years but you managed to have 2 tubs of new swimbaits.
Poor guy just got ripped off for thousands and your calling him a liar? Classy. :roll:
The swimbait has been around for a lot longer than five years.
kb

Post by kb »

Well Guyle hate to tell you this but I finished 5th at the Northlake Ford tournament at Clear Lake in 2004 and my partner was John Brossard. We didn't catch every fish on the Mission Fish but we did catch a few of them and John taught me all about fishing that bait on Clear Lake.

I guarantee you he had way more tackle than even he thinks he had in that storage.

I got to visit John and his wife Wendy on the lake today and it was really cool to see him back on the water and fishing. John has helped so many people over the years we need guys like him in this sport.

Gonna be back up soon JB and YOUR buying!!!!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Guyle's just a little bitter over our DNW sat :lol: :lol:

Stop being a hater G! :D
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Swimbaits have been around for 15 + years...
G-Ko

Post by G-Ko »

Speaking of insurance you can file a claim on your homeowners insurance policy. You would have to pay the deductible, but the property is covered at a storage location. Your personal property is covered at storage locations and other places like a boat or car. The coverage travels with you as long as it is not at another residence (would need another policy)

The only problem is that depending on your carrier, they may hassle you for receipts and such.

Good luck.

Greg
Contact me at Kosich & Callahan Insurance for a free quote for home, auto, boat, or Business Insurance.

GKosich@Kosich.com
925-284-3911
Jerry Fournier

Post by Jerry Fournier »

John I am very sorry to hear about your break in. Those that did this we all know every dog has his day. I know you have been in the bass business helping people for years. I am glad to see your back. If you need to borrow anything please let me know as I would like to help you any way I can.

Jerry
WormFisher

Post by WormFisher »

For documentation you can videotape or take pictures of your stuff periodically. That's going to be the only evidence you can give the insurance company.
This is a good reminder for people who store their stuff at home or in a storage place to document your inventory at least once a year.

Buy a new memory card for your camera and take pictures on it and store it. You can get one on ebay for less than $10.00.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

excellet tip
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Wormfisher,
Great tip.
Also take pictures of the unit and the building it is in and some sort of permanent landmark that shows where it is. Insurance companies have a hard time denying a claim when the proof is there.
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

How about a list of rods and reels so we have a better idea as to what to be on the look out for.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I wonder if it could be an inside job? I can't see someone getting into 7 storage units and taking peoples property without being seen or driving out unnoticed. It might have been another renter who loaded his storage unit with yours and other peoples stuff. A person that works on a stored car and/or spends alot of time there? This scumb had to get in some how. Well I hope you get your stuff back.

Good Fishin
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Guyle's just a little bitter over our DNW sat :lol: :lol:

Stop being a hater G! :D
Sorry to come across as a hater! It just sounded funny to me. So we are talking about new in the package not new.
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Guyle wrote:Funny how your stuff has been locked up for 5 years but you managed to have 2 tubs of new swimbaits.
How long have you been chuckin swimmers? They have been around a lot longer than five or even 15 years.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Gumpa

Post by Gumpa »

PM SENT!
Grandkids. Fishing. What could be better? Watching them catch a big 1 Or hitting 1 out of the park. "Never give up" for the love of the game!
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

lunker punker wrote:
How long have you been chuckin swimmers? They have been around a lot longer than five or even 15 years.
Yeah, I mean I first saw Lunker Punkers from Jeremy, name in 2003 or 2004, while I was working at Extreme Outdoorsman in Oakley. I also sold lots of Ospreys, River 2 Sea, Optimum, MegaBass Charlies, Fish Arrows, Castaic, Huddleston and many more. That was more than 6 years ago and I know some of those as well as AC Plugs and others have been around for a lot longer than that!

I remember one of the Grocery Stores in Pittsburg off Bailey Rd. used to have Castaic swimbaits that was while I was in Highschool so now we are talking more than 10 years back at the least. I also remember my friend that got me into bass fishing when I was in 6th grade living in Oakhurst, Ca. had the some bluegills I think from Castaic. Now we are talking more like 16 years ago!
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing