Tournament Angler and Release boats

calfisher71

Tournament Angler and Release boats

Post by calfisher71 »

Should a Tournament Angler be involved with the release boat?
Knowing wear 450 quality bass get let go is a advantage is it not?

Week after week event after event you are on the release boat.
The next week you fish a event and allways place high?

Wouldnt this be the same as seeding in all reality?

opinions please!
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Spookin'Em43

Re: Tournament Angler and Release boats

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Interesting point you bring up Ron! That makes a lot of sense. Seems like an unfair advantage to me
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

I agree... and I think I know exactly who you are talking about.... I thought the same thing you did....
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

Sure they should, as long as the release site information is available to anyone that asks. John Galbraith at Havasu posts where the fish are released from every tournament in his tackle shop for all to see. Now he is contemplating installing a GPS on the boat as to give out exact coordinates.
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

well lets see...tube at russos... docks at redbud...ramps at folsom both of em...shasta ramps...looks like we all fish the tube and launch ramps? :lol: do you think its an advantage to know where fish are dumped? i dont im sure the fish spread out and leave now should an angler be involved depends on if you think he is breaking a rule or not? and i have no idea who or what your talking about
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

well lets see...tube at russos... docks at redbud...ramps at folsom both of em...shasta ramps...looks like we all fish the tube and launch ramps? :lol: do you think its an advantage to know where fish are dumped? i dont im sure the fish spread out and leave now should an angler be involved depends on if you think he is breaking a rule or not? and i have no idea who or what your talking about
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

The fish have no obligation to hang around were they were droped. They take off for deep water from what I have heard. I have no issue with someone fishing a release patern if I am fishing against them. Knock yourself out, go get em ect...lol
LL
ASD

Post by ASD »

I would think if the drop location is known by "ALL" and it's posted some were thats known by "ALL " it's ok.

If it's not then NO! Any one with that info should be band from fishing a turny for 10 days and should not be alowed to reveal the drop location to any one as I think this would be "seeding"
ASD

Post by ASD »

brambo0311 wrote:The fish have no obligation to hang around were they were droped. They take off for deep water from what I have heard. I have no issue with someone fishing a release patern if I am fishing against them. Knock yourself out, go get em ect...lol
You are right we all fish them but I think it is a little diffrent when you drive a R boat to a cove that only you know about
Team Pollard

Post by Team Pollard »

Couple years ago when tournaments were out of ladds instead of Russo's, many fisherman fished the meat wall, were they used to release fish down the rock embankment from a tube, It was called a meat wall for a reason, some fish left, but most would stay.
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

So what is the solution to the problem? Who will needle fish, operate the boat, etc? Do you expect people not associated with the event to hop on the boat and waste their time? :shock:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anyone could follow the release boat out everyone has the opportunity to do so its not an advantage to just one guy
OG on WB since 1993
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

If you do good someone will always call foul play haha!

Oh yea I still have my boat so I will still post LMAO!!!

I'm just going to keep it I guess. Glad I didn't sell all my tackle.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

a lot of good points brought up here!
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
biteme

Post by biteme »

bassindon69 wrote:If you do good someone will always call foul play haha!

Oh yea I still have my boat so I will still post LMAO!!!

I'm just going to keep it I guess. Glad I didn't sell all my tackle.
Good to hear from ya Don! Now get out there and wack em! :!:
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Don,

WTF Great to see you posting again!!! Heck I even called about a year ago and got no return call. I had a side job you would have been interested in!!!

When we going fishing?
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

I think you will need a lawyer to figure that one out. It will depend on which state and what org.you are fishing and their rules? But I am sure you guys will come up with a answer. Maybe! And as fare as everyone knowing where the Fish are released it will not matter to the law and / or breaking the rules.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

RipnRog wrote:I agree... and I think I know exactly who you are talking about.... I thought the same thing you did....
At least some orgs use a release boat and don't just dump fish down the same tube every time.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

[quote="Team Pollard"]Couple years ago when tournaments were out of ladds instead of Russo's, many fisherman fished the meat wall, were they used to release fish down the rock embankment from a tube, It was called a meat wall for a reason, some fish left, but most would stay.[/quote

You beat me to it, but I was going to point out what we called the "Mest wall on the left going out of Big break marina. Ovr\er the years I think there were literally tons of bass caught there that had been planted by the release boats
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Andrew Jackson wrote:Sure they should, as long as the release site information is available to anyone that asks. John Galbraith at Havasu posts where the fish are released from every tournament in his tackle shop for all to see. Now he is contemplating installing a GPS on the boat as to give out exact coordinates.
Galbraith is no rolling ball of fire on the Lake Havasu tournament trail......So I would say NO!

But the effort he puts into getting these fish out into the lake is admirable to say the least.

There is no question that they are doing something right on that River, Johns apart of it.....
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

Im not talking about where the boat goes, im talking about opening the doors to release them..
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

all good points, I just thought it was a good topic!

The Delta meat wall!! Ladds,

Ive seen people pull up from the second or third flight and force a fish to snap that was just released and culll and cash in!

Russos thats off limits..the tube lets em go, but you cant fish there in a event!

I do like e release boats and those who help.
If they have a 4 man DFG crew why do they need a Tournament Angler on there boat?

Think about this 4 months 24 events, avg 250 bass per event.

hmm??
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Vern

Post by Vern »

When the release boat is used at a tournament on lake Mead we always tell the director where the fish are going to be released to announce at his award ceremony . We also tell Mike Sisco at Pro Tackle in case any of the anglers want to know.
Many times on a big tournament we will have anglers who are not in the tournament follow the release boat. We try to make open knowledge.
On several occasions I have had anglers coming over from out of state and ask where the fish were dumped from the last tournament. I always tell them the truth. We try to it make it a even playing field for everyone. Vern
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Since so many people are following the release boat and some tournament orgs pass out that info. Then it seems obvious to me that the fish replanted in that manner are being fished for and caught or there would not be so much interest. I really dont think that knowledge should be public or available to tournament fishermen.

It creates an unlevel playing field un less every fisherman in a tournament is given a map with this info at the draw. Or perhaps earlier if possible.
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Vern

Post by Vern »

In a perfect world that might work Jim. There is know way that you could dump the fish without some one knowing. Example a angler is going to fish a tournament the following week all he has to do is follow the release boat. There is know real way of keeping it seceret. So we let as many anglers know as possible. The way we dump the fish, is know real help as most times they are gone within a couple of days, and we never dump in the same place twice. Vern
Rod Martin

*NM*

Post by Rod Martin »

*NM*
Last edited by Rod Martin on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Vern wrote:In a perfect world that might work Jim. There is know way that you could dump the fish without some one knowing. Example a angler is going to fish a tournament the following week all he has to do is follow the release boat. There is know real way of keeping it seceret. So we let as many anglers know as possible. The way we dump the fish, is know real help as most times they are gone within a couple of days, and we never dump in the same place twice. Vern
I recognize that there is no such thing as a perfect world, but if we want tournaments to be as fair as possible to the contestants we need to have rules that keep the playing field as level as possible. If we find that some people perhaps have an unfair advantage we need to have rules against that advantage. Meat walls at Stocton and previously at Big Break Marina were a known fact, They are proof within thenselves that the fish were hanging around the areas where they were being released, Therefor it seems pretty clear to me, at least that something should be done to eliminate fishermen from gaining that knowledge. Its against the rules to catch fish in one area and then restock then in another. so why shouldent it be against the rules to gain knowledge of someone else stocking an area and then going there to fish To enforce the rule you just make it one of the questions asked by the lie detector operator
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com