Merc tech question?.........

bassrman

Merc tech question?.........

Post by bassrman »

I found a small puddle of what i am positive is 2 stroke oil,leaking out of my low water pickup @ the tip of my gearcase?,it is clean green merc oil?,I cracked the gearcase drain plug & the gear lube was slightly dirty & lighter color ?,than what I found,I pulled the cowling & every thing looked clean & dry.,I ran the boat today too see what would happen? ran ok",no alarms ,no leaks",my oil resiviors are full, the only thing that might be related is my local dealer changed the base gasket on the powerhead last month",the motor is a 225 pro xs,& looks like maybe 4 to 6 oz. of oil leaked out! how could oil get into the cooling system?
eagle123777

Re: Merc tech question?.........

Post by eagle123777 »

if u dont get a timely anser...post on bassboat central under the mercury thread...Don will give a answer....jack
Trace

Post by Trace »

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a crack in the oil reservoir cap under the engine cowling. It would leak down to the lower unit.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

It could also be an upper seal in the lower unit. I know you said it looked like 2 cycle, but it is a good chance of this seal. Crack your bottom fill screw and check for water. Reguardless, you need this looked at. It probably is not an expenisive fix YET. Best of luck.