Dobyns Rods Warranty---Question

birdi23nls

Dobyns Rods Warranty---Question

Post by birdi23nls »

This is not to bash Dobyns Rods, I love all of my Dobyns rods and I am accumulating many as of late.

But, here is the deal, and the question. I broke the tip off of the same drop shot rod for the second time (dobyns extreme 701 Spinning). I also, have broken one the eyes when I was setting a hook on a fish, which seems impossible, so there must have been some prior damage before that took place. This has all taken place in the last year to year and a half. Basically, I have a curse or something with this rod...it keeps breaking. I

I just went down to C&C to drop the rod off and to pay the $80 "no hassle" charge for a replacement rod. Now to my question, can I request to get the DX 702 S instead of the 701? Does Dobyns allow that if I pay the extra charge if there is one?

I am in no way trying to be shady; I have just grown to dislike this particular model.
Last edited by birdi23nls on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Mike Reidy

Re: Dobyns Rods Warranty---Question

Post by Mike Reidy »

birdi23nis, Its great to hear you are a Dobyns rod customer. I am sure if you call the shop at 530-671-1989 and ask for Gary or Richard your questions will be answered. I am certain both will be more than helpful in making things right. I also know they would be interested in hearing about your issue. I have that paticular model and have experienced no problems and enjoy its light action. I hope I have been of some help.

Mike Reidy
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

Hey Birdi, give Richard a call tomorrow at the shop and ask him..... I sure hope the $80.00 is a Typo by you,unless something changed recently, that should be $60.00. I don't think there will be any issues whatsoever with exchanging to a 702 DX.

Dobyns Rods Office 530-671-1989

Good Fishing to ya.

Mark Hiser
biteme

Post by biteme »

Theres been a lot of that going on. Buddy took is first gen dobyns to fisherman's warehouse and they wanted 100.00 because it was a first gen.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

birdi23nls wrote:This is not to bash Dobyns Rods, I love all of my Dobyns rods and I am accumulating many as of late.

But, here is the deal, and the question. I broke the tip off of the same drop shot rod for the second time (dobyns extreme 701 Spinning). I also, have broken one the eyes when I was setting a hook on a fish, which seems impossible, so there must have been some prior damage before that took place. This has all taken place in the last year to year and a half. Basically, I have a curse of something with this rod...it keeps breaking. I

I just went down to C&C to drop the rod off and to pay the $80 "no hassle" charge for a replacement rod. Now to my question, can I request to get the DX 702 S instead of the 701? Does Dobyns allow that if I pay the extra charge if there is one?

I am in no way trying to be shady; I have just grown to dislike this particular model.
What the others above said...

Maybe your post.. or email should be sent to Dobyns Rods..

I doubt that the anglers here or western bass can answer the questions for the company that you are looking for,whatever that is.. ..

Unless you are wanting Gary to address it here on this site , I am sure the company will help with your questions if ya call them or email them.....
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

biteme wrote:Theres been a lot of that going on. Buddy took is first gen dobyns to fisherman's warehouse and they wanted 100.00 because it was a first gen.

Is this correct?
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Here is their warranty website
http://www.dobynsrods.com/service.html
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

One of the beauties (?) of dealing with Gary Dobyns is that he, or his son, do answer the phone a lot of the time, and they care both about their rod quality, and about the people who buy their rods.
Try calling the number listed in the earlier post.
I have the same rod, and haven't had any problem in more than two years. Maybe you're just cursed. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Ya i called last night when I got home, but was like an hour to late...i'm going to try again shortly. Again, I am not complaining about the rods, I have 4 of them. I just wanted to see if someone knew if they would replace with it the DX702S before I called today and spoke with them.

Cursed might be the right word.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Just spoke with Richard and he said that he was going to send out the 702 today, Fantastic Service! I was hoping, that they would send the 702, but for them to send it out today...too cool.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I own several Dobyn's rods, and the only one that ever broke was my Beloved 736c which I stepped on twice during a tournament...yep twice. I went to C and C and paid my money and got a new one.

Also once I had a guide break once on another brand and the Guy C and C uses to do rod repair fixed that one too.

I dont own the 701 yet, but I do have the 702dx and its awesome. I'm sure Jim or one of his guys can answer your question too about the change of model#. I think that if they are the same price it shouldn't matter much to them.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

birdi23nls wrote:Just spoke with Richard and he said that he was going to send out the 702 today, Fantastic Service! I was hoping, that they would send the 702, but for them to send it out today...too cool.
Right on.. See it works when ya go straight to the man himself rather that try to get a "joe blows" point of view via the internet on what someone will do with their warranty..

always best to pick up the phone..

Gary has always been a stand up guy and I am sure anything he has his hands in with be handled the same way..

Hey.. just a thought.." if" you store that rod in a rod locker and since it has broke twice and you have also lost a eye (on the hook set).. ya might check and make sure nothing is hitting or rubbing or bumping against it, maybe causing some stress ..
Mike Reidy

Post by Mike Reidy »

Birdi, Its great to hear your happy with your situation. Gary and Richard are determined to deliver the finest product and service available. I knew you would be treated RIGHT!!

Mike Reidy
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

They did exceed my expectations and they make awsome rods. I just bought the dx744c and that rod is a dream come true. I also bought a steez complie x 7'1" about 6 months ago, and other than looks, the dobyns rod has the steez beat in nearly every important category.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Saechao"][quote="biteme"]Theres been a lot of that going on. Buddy took is first gen dobyns to fisherman's warehouse and they wanted 100.00 because it was a first gen.[/quote]

Is this correct?[/quote]

No this is not correct. Please see our warranty, it's $60.

For this rod to have 3 issues, you have a storage problem or something. Please check your rod locker. Are you possibly driving your boat or car with the bait reeled to the tip of your rod? Many guys do this and it's hard on rods. Clip the bait to the reel or hook keeper. There is a reason you are having issues and honestly I don't think it's the rods fault. Don't matter it's still warrantied.

Guys if you would simply contact us with issues, they would be fixed a lot faster. I don't check websites daily.

I have a saying which might piss some guys off, but "we make 99.9% of our customers happy. The .01% I want them to go to my competitors and be a pain in their a$$" :D
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Garry, I am a pretty anal guy (not gay) and had quite a few things go wrong on Tuesday and I was hoping to fix a few of my rod/boat problems before Friday when I go fishing again. The only reason I started this thread was to check and see if your company allows for someone to request a different model if it breaks and to get an answer from a member to advance my course of action when replacing the rod (helps with my anxiety/analness). I did not want to call and look like I was begging or was trying to stiff a great man like yourself...if you are really as great as all the articles and posts I read ...that was just a joke...just a joke.

But if I offended in any way, it was not my intention to do so. And i'll prove it by taking you out on the delta, in my boat for a all expense paid trip...all you have to provide is your expertise and all of your honey holes.

You the man.
Last edited by birdi23nls on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Oh, and Garry,

I did pay $80...maybe it was a mistake...I Don't know???
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

birdi23nls wrote:Garry, I am a pretty anal guy (not gay) .
No need for the parenthetical disclaimers. Just be honest--you'll feel liberated and a lot better about yourself. Have you told your wife yet?

Love,
Dr. Phil
meagain

Post by meagain »

jared,
i can only imagine how hard (pun intended) it was for you to come out (again pun intended) on a forum as this! :lol:

and i will agree with some of the others it is always best to go to the source with warranty issues and questions that are best answered by the manufacturer. in this case gary dobyns.
but this also holds true with pretty much all things in life.
i wouldnt go to a toyota dealer to ask technical questions about my ford?
then again when ya deal with a guy who goes on western bass to come out of the closet? :D
Lloyd Close
Jeff Miller

Post by Jeff Miller »

If any of u saw Jared 's wife ya'll would know he's definitely not gay.....and you would be jealous your own wife isn't as hot !!!

Dude just likes to take care of his equipment ! :shock: :D ....no jokes necessary !
biteme

Post by biteme »

Gary Dobyns wrote:
Saechao wrote:
biteme wrote:Theres been a lot of that going on. Buddy took is first gen dobyns to fisherman's warehouse and they wanted 100.00 because it was a first gen.

Is this correct?

For this rod to have 3 issues, you have a storage problem or something. Please check your rod locker. Are you possibly driving your boat or car with the bait reeled to the tip of your rod? Many guys do this and it's hard on rods. Clip the bait to the reel or hook keeper. There is a reason you are having issues and honestly I don't think it's the rods fault. Don't matter it's still warrantied.

Guys if you would simply contact us with issues, they would be fixed a lot faster. I don't check websites daily.

I have a saying which might piss some guys off, but "we make 99.9% of our customers happy. The .01% I want them to go to my competitors and be a pain in their a$$" :D
Yes sir Richard fixed my buddies problem right away!
Timber_Effects

Post by Timber_Effects »

fish_food wrote:
birdi23nls wrote:Garry, I am a pretty anal guy (not gay) .
No need for the parenthetical disclaimers. Just be honest--you'll feel liberated and a lot better about yourself. Have you told your wife yet?

Love,
Dr. Phil

sorry Jared, but that was funny! :lol:
Dean Ziemer
http://www.DeltaBassTactics.com
http://bioedgefishing.com/
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="birdi23nls"]Garry, I am a pretty anal guy (not gay) and had quite a few things go wrong on Tuesday and I was hoping to fix a few of my rod/boat problems before Friday when I go fishing again. The only reason I started this thread was to check and see if your company allows for someone to request a different model if it breaks and to get an answer from a member to advance my course of action when replacing the rod (helps with my anxiety/analness). I did not want to call and look like I was begging or was trying to stiff a great man like yourself...if you are really as great as all the articles and posts I read ...that was just a joke...just a joke.

But if I offended in any way, it was not my intention to do so. And i'll prove it by taking you out on the delta, in my boat for a all expense paid trip...all you have to provide is your expertise and all of your honey holes.

You the man.[/quote]

Stand by I am going to try and pull this off. I need an excuse to go fishing. The person running my company these days is my daughter who insists she is the boss and thinks I screw off too much. I will tell her this trip is customer service only and not for my enjoyment :D I'll let you know if I pull that on off :D Thanks for the rod business. Good luck fishin.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Gary I will take you on a all expense trip to Salt Springs so you can catch more than one fish this time!!!! :roll: Still love ya man!!!
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Gary, I'd take Johnny up on that one! He lets his clients catch all the fish...
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

Gary, I will let you take me on an all expense paid trip to anywhere. Thank you for supporting this veteran! See you soon.
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Gary Dobyns wrote:
Saechao wrote:

Is this correct?

Some good points here...Gary and 60 bucks... WOW THAT'S A LOW PRICE !!!!

Guys are saying they pay 80 to 100 dollars for warranty exchange.. ??? And your warranty states it is 60.00, do you think maybe your retailers are tacking on some handling charges and or shippin charge .. or some other costs on their part ??

Lots of guys don't realize what happens to a rod if it gets bumped or hit against something. Even over flexed by pulling against a snag, bouncing around in a pick up bed .. etc.. etc...

How many times, and we all have seen it, mostly with a guy riding passanger in a boat.. their rods are whippin around with baits swinging at the tips in the wind at what, 70 plus mph as they race to the next spot...

A crankbait, spinnerbait or heck even now these big 1 1/2 or 2 oz punching weight can crack or cause stress to a rod it hits and when a hook set does happen on a fish, the rod breaks.. and the guy gets a stupid look on his face .. WHAT HAPPENED ??? never to think the rod has had some damage at some point..

Rod locker storage sytems are important, most boats have them now days, but if you don't those rods are bouncing around in that locker as you hit waves while running across the lake and can cause a stress problem.

Heck I seen guys throw their rods down in the boat when missing a fish.. just a quick slap on the windshield or side of the boat and it has a stress point now.

Taking care of rods is very important this day and age..They are tools and sometimes very expensive ones too. Puttin covers/sleves on the rods and proper storage in rod lockers is so important or your going to be buying new ones for sure someday.. less ya by Dobyons rods.. har har..

I agree a rod that has had 3 problems with breakage and eyes coming off on the hook set, it mostly not the rods fault and it is very good of you and your company to stand up a warranty it..

Fish don't break rods... people do !!!!.. :lol:
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Gary Dobyns wrote:
birdi23nls wrote:Garry, I am a pretty anal guy (not gay) and had quite a few things go wrong on Tuesday and I was hoping to fix a few of my rod/boat problems before Friday when I go fishing again. The only reason I started this thread was to check and see if your company allows for someone to request a different model if it breaks and to get an answer from a member to advance my course of action when replacing the rod (helps with my anxiety/analness). I did not want to call and look like I was begging or was trying to stiff a great man like yourself...if you are really as great as all the articles and posts I read ...that was just a joke...just a joke.

You the man.
Stand by I am going to try and pull this off. I need an excuse to go fishing. The person running my company these days is my daughter who insists she is the boss and thinks I screw off too much. I will tell her this trip is customer service only and not for my enjoyment :D I'll let you know if I pull that on off :D Thanks for the rod business. Good luck fishin.
Right on, I hope you can go...let me know. And for the record...to those of you who would question my manliness, I'm not gay. Good looking, yes, but not gay.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com