Why is it "A Sad Day" in Bass fishing?

Oldschool

Re: Why is it "A Sad Day" in Bass fishing?

Post by Oldschool »

When you get a chance take a look at the doctored weight Hart used.
This is a highly refinned weight system, not something someone developed the first time. The drop shot hook is tied to a crimped weight hanger with what looks like a snelled knot or held in a jig vice and wrapped. These were pre made for this tournament.
When released a live bass would sink to the bottom and die, no evidence. This isn't the first time for Mike, it was the first time he was caught.
Whenever you have money to win, people will find a way to steal it.
It's a sad day when a friend steals from you a good when caught red handed. Good work WON.
Tom
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

Has any of his co angler from the us open come forward???
The co angler cant just get a slap on the wrist. He didnt report the guy
therfore the co angler is at fault too..
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

It's a sad day because a person many looked up to and respected was found to have attempted to cheat to win a tournament.

It's a sad day because once again a person risked the consequences and did anything to achieve fame and fortune.

It's a sad day because tournament organizations are going to have to enact stricter measures and increase costs because some scum will stop at nothing to win.

It's a sad day because one tournament organization in particular will have to burn threads following up on this travesty and pursuing possible legal action, and punitive sanctions for previous events.

It's a sad day because many previous competitors will be left wondering about past misses, and likely will never know the truth.

It's a sad day because many anglers will now have unjustified doubts about fellow competitors.

It's a sad day because outsiders will once again look upon the bass fishing population with a jaundiced eye.

Lastly, it's a sad day because it all reflects badly on all of us regardless of our level of integrity.

It's a sad day indeed.

Roger
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

tunaman wrote:It's a sad day because a person many looked up to and respected was found to have attempted to cheat to win a tournament.

It's a sad day because once again a person risked the consequences and did anything to achieve fame and fortune.

It's a sad day because tournament organizations are going to have to enact stricter measures and increase costs because some scum will stop at nothing to win.

It's a sad day because one tournament organization in particular will have to burn threads following up on this travesty and pursuing possible legal action, and punitive sanctions for previous events.

It's a sad day because many previous competitors will be left wondering about past misses, and likely will never know the truth.

It's a sad day because many anglers will now have unjustified doubts about fellow competitors.

It's a sad day because outsiders will once again look upon the bass fishing population with a jaundiced eye.

Lastly, it's a sad day because it all reflects badly on all of us regardless of our level of integrity.

It's a sad day indeed.

Roger
AMEN!!!!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

sTony wrote: Put it into better perspective. He got caught cheating in a game. That's not a hanging offense, even in the Old West.

sTony
Actually Tony, if you got caught cheating at a game (usually poker) in the old west, they shot you right there at the table.

Earlier you said Mike "made a mistake". A mistake is not carrying the one when you add a long column of figures, or putting the wrong oil in your outboard. What Mike Hart did was not a mistake, it was a deliberate act of deception and thievery.

No sympathy here, I hope every bad thing that can possibly happen to him does.
Last edited by bryanmc on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASD

Post by ASD »

I hope F&G take his boat / truck and ALL his gear and as it was used in a crime :evil:
g-man

Post by g-man »

sTony wrote: But try to keep it in perspective. Comparing this guy to rapists and murderers is idiotic.

sTony
He did kill bass.... :shock: :lol:
100% LL
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

sTony very well put!

Walt kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
j10b

Post by j10b »

Guess recheck the math. That 37k was in ONE TRAIL! He made 10k just this season with WON!!!!

Not to mention all the trails he raped people with $1,000+ payouts in cash.
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

And he did it without entry fees....
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

bryanmc wrote: Earlier you said Mike "made a mistake". A mistake is not carrying the one when you add a long column of figures, or putting the wrong oil in your outboard. What Mike Hart did was not a mistake, it was a deliberate act of deception and thievery.

No sympathy here, I hope every bad thing that can possibly happen to him does.
Now people are getting the gist of the topic. There is nothing sad about this.

Sad is when a fellow Angler dies..

Sad is when your motor goes out and you have a shot at the tournament

Sad is when you get 2nd place 3 out of 4 years in the BassMaster Classic (I am still pulling for you Aaron, as well as 100% of the guys on this board)

Sad is when you constantly see people say "this is a sad day" for fishing, when its just the opposite...

This is GREAT and now eye-opening for all the Organizations. I think this will actually make the tournaments much better because people are going to be more scrutinized. This is a sport and it now starting to be treated like one. Look at all other major past-times and see what they have to go through to catch cheaters. Its the world we live in. Just be lucky Hammurabi is not the WON tournament director or Mike Hart would be having some issue passing those weights through his arse!!

Nothing Sad about it....

I was just trying to prove a point that people are looking at this in the wrong manner. Mike Hart will forever be a cheat in my heart, as are the Heigels (I can't believe people still say, the "team from San Diego."). You do the crime, you pay for it...

But this is in no Way a SAD day for the sport. It now makes it more fair for those who spend $300 a pop to try to prove HONESTLY that they can put together a better 5-fish limit...

We can go back and forth about whether its sad or not.. I was just trying to bring a better light to the incident...

I just wish it was caught on video.. It would be played at the start of every tournament just as a little reminder!!
JKitz

Post by JKitz »

j10b wrote:Guess recheck the math. That 37k was in ONE TRAIL! He made 10k just this season with WON!!!!

Not to mention all the trails he raped people with $1,000+ payouts in cash.
Sorry, it was just quick math... I was just trying to say that its still not worth it.

You are correct!!
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

its not a sad day, it's a good day for tournament bass fishing. a cheater got caught and is now banned for life for won. ( DFG should ban him for life from all fishing, my .02cent)
this was no mistake or bad judgement on his part. he purposely and with premeditation, placed those weights in those fish. he did it not one day, but it appears he did it two days in a row.
he choose to cheat of his own free will, so there is no need to feel sorry for him. I would be willing to bet that this wasn't the first time he did it either.
If you want to feel sorry, feel sorry for the tournament sport, for those that might have actually beat him in other events and those who will be questioned in the future because of his and the other cheaters who have been caught.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Trackerbass

Post by Trackerbass »

For all you people saying he made a mistake and "attempted" to cheat , you are wrong! It was no mistake. The whole thing was premeditated and fully intentional. He did not attempt to cheat. He cheated. Not once but at least 10 times. They found 10 weights. That's ten acts of cheating. I would also be willing to bet the other seven live fish not checked also had weights. If you think this was a one time thing, you're kidding yourselves. Wake up and smell the cheater! F this guy! He deserves NO sympathy.
whazup

Post by whazup »

blkdog812 wrote:its not a sad day, it's a good day for tournament bass fishing. a cheater got caught and is now banned for life for won. ( DFG should ban him for life from all fishing, my .02cent)
this was no mistake or bad judgement on his part. he purposely and with premeditation, placed those weights in those fish. he did it not one day, but it appears he did it two days in a row.
he choose to cheat of his own free will, so there is no need to feel sorry for him. I would be willing to bet that this wasn't the first time he did it either.
If you want to feel sorry, feel sorry for the tournament sport, for those that might have actually beat him in other events and those who will be questioned in the future because of his and the other cheaters who have been caught.
Will, or can, Calif deny him a license, since his "crime" occurred in another state? Personally hope they can.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

Mike wrote:
Tony Lain wrote:Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes. In western ethics, integrity is regarded as the quality of having an intuitive sense of honesty and truthfulness in regard to the motivations for one's actions. It is sad... Sad for his family, friends, and fellow Southern California bass anglers. Let's NOT judge this man. Second chance? Heck NO. He made a really bad choice, and now he must live with that choice. We ALL have our PRICE! For some the PRICE is way too low... To me, that's what is truly SAD...

Are you kidding me???????? "Lets not judge this man"?? I AM Judging this POS. He is the worst of the worst! Steeling from his friends for years. I cant believe some of you. More signs of the Pussifacation of America! I say we hang him in public old West style.

X 10 on the pussifacation, I'm starting to like you man
LMB
Matt B.

Post by Matt B. »

Mike Hart deserves to be called a cheater! He deserves to be ban for life from all fishing tournaments, to face criminal charges, and especially to be humiliated in front of his peers for his actions. He doesn't deserve to be called a "POS", to be told "F OFF", or to be "hung" like they did in the old west. For those crusifying Mike and ready to send him to he electric chair, have you lived a perfect life? Have you always put on your life jacket when the big motor is running, have you never had 6 fish in the livewell, have your never broke the speed limit to get to your first spot, and have you always had a fishing license with you. These are all forms of cheating. I know these actions are not as bad as what Mike did, but all of us are not perfect and have made bad decisions that have affected other people. Don't trust the guy, but also don't spit in his face and kick him when he is already lying face down on the ground.
ASD

Post by ASD »

whazup wrote:
blkdog812 wrote:its not a sad day, it's a good day for tournament bass fishing. a cheater got caught and is now banned for life for won. ( DFG should ban him for life from all fishing, my .02cent)

Will, or can, Calif deny him a license, since his "crime" occurred in another state? Personally hope they can.
Yes they can! If NV f&g get a convicktion (sp) other states can withhold lic's . Also i wonder if they ( the DA /cops / F&G) will go after him under fed law also as he more then likely made the devices in ca. and transported over state lines
TEAMDEADMONEY

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

Murph...I didnt know they had laws in your little town???
:wink:

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Matt B. wrote:Mike Hart deserves to be called a cheater! He deserves to be ban for life from all fishing tournaments, to face criminal charges, and especially to be humiliated in front of his peers for his actions. He doesn't deserve to be called a "POS", to be told "F OFF", or to be "hung" like they did in the old west. For those crusifying Mike and ready to send him to he electric chair, have you lived a perfect life? Have you always put on your life jacket when the big motor is running, have you never had 6 fish in the livewell, have your never broke the speed limit to get to your first spot, and have you always had a fishing license with you. These are all forms of cheating. I know these actions are not as bad as what Mike did, but all of us are not perfect and have made bad decisions that have affected other people. Don't trust the guy, but also don't spit in his face and kick him when he is already lying face down on the ground.
Matt people like you are why death row inmates usually die of old age!
This guy deserves EVERYTHING he gets. STEALING money from other people is a crime. Who knows how many fish he wasted and killed by cramming weights down their throats.
Hes nothing more than a piece of Dogshit CRIMINAL!
MP

Post by MP »

Before

After

Sponsored by

Post by 619 »

Our kindler gentler generation sucks...I wasn't raised this way. My father is rolling in his grave. I was taught to handle things like a man. Same as everyone else my age or older.

I start teaching my kids this way and the wife calibrates me. I was taught if you get pushed you push back harder. I guarantee it won't happen again.

Stuff like this is happening and we don't handle it. We are a bunch of p#*sy's.

The law is the reason it's happening. I'm reading stuff about this crap and seeing all the excuses about the law and why this and that can't happen. Basically protects criminals. If we were to go postal on these guys we would be arrested.

This is not a rule infraction as I have been told before. It's theft and it's not going to stop. These guys are serial cheaters they can't stop there ego's won't let them.

To my Wife, Family, Rick and Kevin, Cutomers and friends this will be my last post on this subject ever. My reputation is not worth loosing over this BS.

Honor Courage and Commitment
Art Bailey Senior Chief Petty Officer Retired

Sorry Pops
Last edited by 619 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonsaibp

Post by bonsaibp »

sTony wrote:Interesting, this 'old West style' mentality going on. That was when there was no law in a lot of the territory that was to become our country. It's an era that died long ago. They used to hang horse thieves. Now they put them in jail for a period of time and then ultimately release them. It's what a civil society does. It's based on the notion that one act doesn't completely define a person forever.

Put it into better perspective. He got caught cheating in a game. That's not a hanging offense, even in the Old West.

sTony
It may have been if he were cheating at cards
some guy

Post by some guy »

619 wrote:Our kindler gentler generation sucks...I wasn't raised this way. My father is rolling in his grave. I was taught to handle things like a man. Same as everyone else my age or older.

I start teaching my kids this way and the wife calibrates me. I was taught if you get pushed you push back harder. I guarantee it won't happen again.

Stuff like this is happening and we don't handle it. We are a bunch of p#*sy's.

The law is the reason it's happening. I'm reading stuff about this crap and seeing all the excuses about the law and why this and that can't happen. Basically protects criminals. If we were to go postal on these guys we would be arrested.

This is not a rule infraction as I have been told before. It's theft and it's not going to stop. These guys are serial cheaters they can't stop there ego's won't let them.

To my Wife, Family, Rick and Kevin, Cutomers and friends this will be my last post on this subject ever. My reputation is not worth loosing over this BS.

Honor Courage and Commitment
Art Bailey Senior Chief Petty Officer Retired

Sorry Pops
Amen Art.

Im 29 and was raised that way and I plan to raise my future kids the exact same way.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Matt B.

Post by Matt B. »

None of you have ever involved yourself in an illegal activity. Never driven home drunk, never done or sold illegal drugs, or cheated on a love one. Or even better, cheated on your taxes which effects every US citizen. I am not asking you guys to forgive or trust Mike. I hope he is charge with a felony. Call him a liar, a cheater, and a criminal. Don't act like a 12 year old and call him names and treat him like a ax murderer or a rapist.
dbbasser

It's complicated...

Post by dbbasser »

It would be shocking enough just for someone to be nailed cheating. However the fact that this guy is so well connected and respected in the SoCal bass fishing scene makes it sad. The ripple effect will be huge for his former fishing partners, friends and family. He will be made an example in hopes that this never happens again. Sad but some good will come from this.

db
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Andy Lippert wrote:
sTony wrote:I'm not saying that you guys are wrong in how you feel about this deal because, heck, you feel how you feel. And you're entitled to that.

But try to keep it in perspective. Comparing this guy to rapists and murderers is idiotic.

sTony
sTony, I think you need to open your eyes and read! I didn't compare the two people, I only offered a case as to how our "civil society" (YOUR words) is not on point and makes frequent errors in judgment. I think you're the idiotic one for not seeing the simple example that I gave. :roll:

Now....back to killing lions and tigers with my bare hands!....

Now back to killing lions and tigers with my bare hands? That is the funniest **** I've seen in a while! LMAO!!!
Sinjin Kim

Post by Sinjin Kim »

When I was in the service, I remember everyone doing their best to live up to the core values: Honor, Courage and Commitment.

In Hart's case: Shady, Spineless and Disgraceful.

How some on here would give even an ounce of remorse to this cheat is what is truly sad. I don't speculate he has cheated in the past, I would bet money he has! Many times! History has a way of telling a story and if you read between the lines, the truth is there. The records, the amount of dead fished weighed etc.

The people I feel the worse for are people who finished second to Hart. Loss in thousands in cash, a boat etc...

The next time you feel even a tad bit of remorse for this spineless crook who doesn't even have the decency to make a public statement think about this:

Had he won the U.S. Open, do you think he would have felt even a tad bit of guilt taking other people's money? FCUK no! He would be smiling his fat *** to the bank with his head held up high.

What is sad is he probably has done exactly that for years... taken checks to the bank, smiling the whole way through and wondering how to repeat the process.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sinjin Kim wrote:When I was in the service, I remember everyone doing their best to live up to the core values: Honor, Courage and Commitment.

How some on here would give even an ounce of remorse to this cheat is what is truly sad. I don't speculate he has cheated in the past, I would bet money he has! Many times! History has a way of telling a story and if you read between the lines, the truth is there. The records, the amount of dead fished weighed etc.

The people I feel the worse for are people who finished second to Hart. Loss in thousands in cash, a boat etc...

The next time you feel even a tad bit of remorse for this spineless crook who doesn't even have the decency to make a public statement think about this:

Had he won the U.S. Open, do you think he would have felt even a tad bit of guilt taking other people's money? FCUK no! He would be smiling his fat *** to the bank with his head held up high.

What is sad is he probably has done exactly that for years... taken checks to the bank, smiling the whole way through and wondering how to repeat the process.

+1
OG on WB since 1993
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Sinjin Kim wrote:edit. I was never in the serivce but I do still live by a mans word is his word, I don't need a pice of paper just a mans word and a hand shake should be fine. If he is a man of his word.

+2
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]