Micro Guide Rods?????

Lugnut

Micro Guide Rods?????

Post by Lugnut »

What's the scoop on all these micro guide rods? What is the so called advantages of those little guides?
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
mark poulson

Re: Micro Guide Rods?????

Post by mark poulson »

I bought one from Tacklewarehouse, a Falcon mh "finese jig" rod.
I wanted to see if it was different that the other Falcon mh rods I already had, after I had tried one that belonged to Daren Lacher.
It casts the same, to me, as a similar rod with regular guides.
And the guides are so small, they don't seem to be as prone to getting bent on the deck.
I use it for jigs, ikas, and bottom lures, so I fish with my line, fluoro, over my index finger. I don't feel any difference in sensitivity.
One thing that it does much better is pitching. It pitches like a hot knife through butter. I think there is less friction from the line slapping the rod as I pitch. It's just smooth.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm with Mark on this one. I needed a crank rod and decided to try out a white Duckett rod with micro guides. Its 7' medium action and very light. So far I like it. haven't caught any big (4lbs +) on it yet to see how it handles, but it did the job well on smaller fish. I observed that there was minimal line slap and seems that i could cast a little further.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
DAN

Post by DAN »

Amazed on the spinning stuff I tried at ICAST. Played with Castaways steelhead series there at the show, and on a spinning rod they surprizingly defied expectations casted really well and on target. Guess I have had my mind opened a bit, still not totally convinced....
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Funny, I would have never thought microguides would work on a spinning rod.
But, now that I think about it, I used to use a spinning reel on a 7' G.Loomis popping rod, for worming, and it cast great. Too far, actually. I was so used to regular spinning rods, it would always take me a cast or two to get the feel for it.
Kind of like when I put a 1/8oz darter head on my Dobyns 701, instead of the 1/16 I usually throw. If I'm not careful, I wind up on the beach with the first cast. :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

The question I'm asked--and I have NO firsthand info--is what happens when the air gets below 30? My standard guides freeze up--when I'm dumb enough to be out in that.
:?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Good question. Maybe just stay home? :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Started using Kistler Z-Bone micros and Kistler Mag micros about six months ago. Too many advantages to list... All I can say is micros are the future and will change our game! Less line slap on the casts, more sensitive, less tangles, better rod locker storage, and rods are much lighter... I have been using casting rods and spinning. I used the Z-Bone micros to do everything from punching, top water, cranking, to finesse spinning. So far, have not used them in freezing temps, but hoping that silicone spray will solve any line guide freezing issues. A++++ for micro guides.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I've built a few rods now with "Micro Guides" only one of the rods I would really consider "Micro" but I do like it. The smaller guides do control the line better on the casts. As for sensitivity, distance, etc. I can't say I notice anything, but I don't have any clone rods (one with regular guides/one with micro guides) to test side by side.

At the very least, they look really cool and I can't present any downsides to micro guides. :P
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Marc

Post by Marc »

George, you spray your microguides with WD-40 and they don't freeze (works on regular guides, too).

I have been experimenting with some Lamiglas prototype micro-guide rods, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Most fishing techniques that involve manipulation of the rod, such as shakey heads and drop shotting, are more easily controlled because your line doesn't fall away from the rod between the guides when shaking.

I am convinced they improve the sensitivity, and I suspect it is because they keep the line parallel with the rod blank, and because of the additional contact between the line and the blank.

I also think my line is not damaged as much as the line travels more smoothly through the guides.

Stowing the rods in rod tubes (in the rod locker) is easier due to the smaller guide size; as is removal of the rods.

Only used them for close to 3 months so far, but I can't wait for the new Certified Pro Series rods to come out with these and with split grips.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

Where can I see these micro guides, any one have a link or pic?
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

Thanks Marc:

Personally, I think sensitivity is over-rated--because it's a two way street. When I feel, they feel. However, when I get older--a lot older--I may need that help. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gimmick..........If your rod is already light, Balanced and sensitive you don't need micro guides.
OG on WB since 1993
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

GKramer wrote:Thanks Marc:

Personally, I think sensitivity is over-rated--because it's a two way street. When I feel, they feel. However, when I get older--a lot older--I may need that help. :D
George,
Don't sell yourself short. Everyone I've talked to who knows you says you're a very sensitive guy already. :wink:
CLEAN AND DRY
Marc

Post by Marc »

Your welcome, George. Since hook manufacturers have greatly improved the design and sharpness of hooks, I don't rely on the rod to tell me that a fish is biting as much as I used to (with the exception of deep winter bass fishing). Crankbait rods are a good example; I use S Glass because I land more bass that I hook, but I sure don't feel the bass biting due to rod sensitivity. They bite, the sharp hooks stick them, and when the rod loads up I then know I have a bass.

I judge sensitivity by my ability to tell when I am working the rockpile, or dropoff, or other structure/cover. In most cases using the proper taper provides this information to me rather than using some top secret graphite material that costs a week's pay.

I also consider a rod to be sensitive when its design provides the feel I need to properly manipulate a lure in the deisred manner. This is where I feel the microguides add to the sensitivity.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

George... send TJ over at TTI a note and have him send you a bottle or two of the Reel Magic. Gotta love that stuff for line conditioning and freeze proofing micro guides.. :)
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

I knew I should have shut up in the first place. Oh well, I look forward to handling the Lamis when they get here. 8)
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

Sell me your old cumuras and loomis' cheap! hehe

Garrett
GGR

Post by GGR »

I have been fishing a couple of rods built by Low Down Custom Rods lately. The rods I have been using are Swimbait rods, built as "Big Gun" type rods. The rods are Down-Wrapped and have Micro Guides.

Baits I have been throwing are 3:16 10" FreeStyle, some custom/proto type 3:16 baits....11"-12", and the 3:16 FreeStyle Bass.

My first initial thought was, Micro Guides do not belong on a "Big Gun" type swimbait rod. After fishing the rods they have definitely changed my initial opinion. The Micro Guides are very tough. And, it does seem as if I'm getting some added distance with the rods? Could just be me.....but it does seem that way.

I have been so happy with the performance of these rods that any custom rods I have built in the future will have Micro Guides on them.

-Greg