BASS AOY Process-Agree or Disagree

Rod Brown

BASS AOY Process-Agree or Disagree

Post by Rod Brown »

Hi Gang,
I'm curious on what you all think about the way BASS determines the AOY. I sent this email off to BASS.
Hi BASS,
I disagree with the way the AOY race is for the Elite pros. They fish hard all year and should be rewarded for that. Not for fishing well the last two tournaments. For the last 25 years worldwide, the AOY has been determined by points given to anglers for their finish in each tournament. If there are 100 guys and he comes in 40th place, then he gets 60 points. The whole Idea of AOY is to show how well an angler fishes throughout the season. I challenge you to put up a question on your site whether members agree or disagree with your process for AOY.
Thanks for your time, Rodney Brown
hydro

Re: BASS AOY Process-Agree or Disagree

Post by hydro »

Rod , Could not agree more! Its because of this type of nonsense I cancelled my membership 4 or 5 years ago and their not giving me any reason to rejoin.
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Angler of the year, not Angler of the last two weeks.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
ASD

Post by ASD »

"Angler of the year, not Angler of the last two weeks."

+1
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Here is what I got points wise just now..

1st KVD w/325
2nd skeet w/305
3rd Edwin w/301
4th Aaron w/284

Looks like KVD won AOY..

Honestly guys I like the new format....Think about it..

What sport does #1 at the end of the regular season end in them being #1.

Every sport has a playoff, right....

We are just used to the OLD WAY...

No matter how good your football, baseball or basketball team played during the regular season they still may not win the championship..RIGHT..

This new format makes these guys stay consistant...How many people bang on QB's for playing great in regualar season and choking in playoffs..

This is great for our sport and it gives more of a sporting angle and a TV angle..

Did Skeet do well in the Reagular season and win the oldschool AOY, ya.....

But he did not win with the new format put into place well before both season's started..

We need to get off of our old mentalities and let our sport grow. We need to get more kids involved and make some exciting playoffs to do so...

I think the post season is great and the cream rises to the top...Skeet just had a bad playoffs, no differant than any other sport...

Props to all of them...
drew

Post by drew »

"Angler of the year, not Angler of the last two weeks."

+2
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

It's not really the best of the last two weeks. They don't start even, they carry their points into the post season. KVD had a lot of ground to make up and was able to do it. Skeet left the door open last weekend. I think it's cool that they take all the other guys out of the way and let the top 12 have at it.

Remember, they used to have a 10 tournament season as well. No telling what would have happened if they still did that.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

I didn't like it at all until I thought of it as a post season like baseball or football, then it makes sense. Make it to the big dance then perform on the big stage. I was hoping Skeet would pull a big bag today and take it, but oh well, gotta love KVD. It is different but does have some merit IMHO. Time Warner sucks serious arse for not carrying ESPN3, I cut short a local calico trip in time to watch the live weigh in only to be denied. :evil:

Skeet just became the 2001 116 win Mariners?? :shock:
Last edited by Chris N on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

[quote="bigbass111"]Here is what I got points wise just now..

1st KVD w/325
2nd skeet w/305
3rd Edwin w/301
4th Aaron w/284

Looks like KVD won AOY..

Honestly guys I like the new format....Think about it..

Every sport has a playoff, right....

I thought the Classic was the Superbowl for bass fishing? This format SUCKS. AOY is about consistency not who fishes the best in the last two tournaments.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Don't call it the Angler of the Year award then. Call the winner "BASS Champion" or something to that affect. Angler of the Year should be based on the total season, not two post season tournaments.
Keith
Fish Blaster Baits Pro Staff
www.fishblasterbaits.com
jletsinger

Post by jletsinger »

Skeet got robbed.

angler of the year not of the last two weeks. I bet he's pissed.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

Whoopbass wrote:
I thought the Classic was the Superbowl for bass fishing? This format SUCKS. AOY is about consistency not who fishes the best in the last two tournaments.
+1 playoffs are the first two days of the classic
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

+1
Congrats Kevin your the MAN!
whazup

Post by whazup »

To use a baseball analogy...... If A-Rod hits .217 with 44 RBI and 12 home runs during the regular season, then hits 417 with 15 RBI and 6 HR's during the PLAYOFFS, does that make him MVP for the YEAR? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Same here! ( now before someone takes off on a tangent, I know the MVP for MLB is decided before the playoffs. So, not a perfect analogy, but it makes the point)
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
dbbasser

Post by dbbasser »

A complete utter travesty :!: Skeet should be the MVP/AOY, He had the best ever season of any Bassmasters in history and has lost it 2 yr's in a row due to the new format. The Classic is where all this drama belongs not in some crazy format like this. This doesn't reflex who really had the best overall year :evil:

DB
Makostoy13

Post by Makostoy13 »

I think it STINKS. I feel they should take the top 12 for the last two tournaments, but DO NOT CHANGE the numbers that were EARNED ALL YEAR. We all know who the AOY has been the last two years, and it's not the one with the Trophies. The odds are the same for all of them, but I still feel it's for the fans, and should not be manipulated numbers before the final tournaments.
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

drew wrote:"Angler of the year, not Angler of the last two weeks."
+ 100 and Im not a Skeet fan. Just makes sense!

+2
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

whazup wrote:To use a baseball analogy...... If A-Rod hits .217 with 44 RBI and 12 home runs during the regular season, then hits 417 with 15 RBI and 6 HR's during the PLAYOFFS, does that make him MVP for the YEAR? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Same here! ( now before someone takes off on a tangent, I know the MVP for MLB is decided before the playoffs. So, not a perfect analogy, but it makes the point)
.417 with 15 homers just confirms hes on steroids which has already been proven. Hes a piece of sh$t! LMAO!
ACP

Post by ACP »

I agree with the new format. From a fans perspective the format is exciting but for an angler at the top of the leader board going into the post season it puts that much more pressure on them to perform. I can tell you this as fan of the sport I probably would not take time out of my weekend to sit in front of the computer to watch the out come if the didn’t have post season set up the way the do. It makes it more exciting to watch which draws more people in to watch & that’s what ESPN wants to do & it keeps the sponsors putting up the money so these guys can continue fishing for a living. If ESPN doesn’t draw the viewers doesn’t draw the viewers we won’t be watching this on TV or the internet anymore
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I like the format.
MikeL.

Post by MikeL. »

If not for the new format, Skeet had this locked up LOOOOONNNNGGG ago.

So B.A.S.S. goal here is accomplished. Took the last day to settle it and everyone paid attention.

I like it if not for the only thing is it kept it interesting the whole season.

Did Reese get screwed? Nah, he knows what the rules are. They are the same for everyone.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It's a mistake.
Changing the format makes it impossible to measure the new AOY winners against past winners. How may AOYs would Roland Martin have won with this format? We'll never know, and that's why the change is a bad idea.
No doubt, this change makes the last part of the series more interesting for some.
But it does not reward year long consistency, and I thought that's what AOY meant.
Again, ESPN is trying to turn BASS into NASCAR.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
BASSTUD

Post by BASSTUD »

I normally just read these posts and never respond. I liked the "oldschool" way but after reading your response I thought....ok that does make sense, but if that is the case that would make Skeet the number one seed so he should get home field advantage....just a thought.
lang28

Post by lang28 »

I dont care if it were skeet or some other guy on the tour, a playoff for angler of the year is stupid! A playoff with like the top 30 in points with a top ten final would be cool but not for AOY!!!
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Whats wrong with ESPN trying to turn BASS into Nascar???????

Nascar is huge, its bigger than most sporting events in the U.S. The amount of sponsor dollars and viewers are off the charts...

Who cares if its differant than what Roland did. If those numbers are now skewed because of the new format thats fine. We need the sport to grow for all of us. If old records cannot be calculated do to a new format then thats a loss thats needed. Put a * next to the new title's like they did to Roger in the home run battle against ruth.

Fact is, ESPN has done alot to advance our sport. They understand what it takes to get people interested. Just because we have been involved for along time and are used to certain things doesn't mean it should stay that way. We need to adapt to the changing times and advance our sport at all costs.

Our youth is the ticket, and if they understand the formats due to other sporting events then all the better.

Skeet had a cushion of points and better chances than most to step up in the post season. It was not his time again this year, KVD is a monster and fishes better under pressure. At the rate he was going he would have won an oldschool 10 event standard season AOY.

But that is the past and we need to adjust..

Justin
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

No matter what, those 2 guys are World Class Ambassadors for our sport and take the winning and losing with class and humility. Congrats to both along with the other 12 finalist for a great season. Having it at the same river system back to back years is really the only negative IMHO. Should have mixed it up some. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Ken Sauret

Post by Ken Sauret »

This format does not reward the angler that has the best complete season hence the "Angler of the Year" title. We who are Skeet fans aren't happy with the last two year's outcome.

Keep in mind a west coast guy could benefit from this someday too. Then what would we be saying? Maybe we would just be quiet about the format because one of "our" favorite guys won. We let our emotions about our guy color how we judge a particular format sometimes. Everyone knew the format before the season began and by participating all the anglers "agreed" to the terms and conditions.
Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff
Lowrance http://www.lowrance.com/
Yamamoto https://store.baits.com/home
Dobyns Rods http://www.dobynsrods.com/
Yamaha http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
Personal Web Site http://kensbassfishing.weebly.com/
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

exactly
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

If Skeet had won AOY no one on here would be complaining. Unfortunately its not how you start it's how you fnish.

I'm a Skeet fan too but you can't take anything away from KVD he was no where to be seen in the beginning but came storming back in the end.

I'm not sure I like the new format either but it's the same for everyone.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I look at it like "the ball and game belong to them" If you dont want to play then there are alternatives (FLW)

Having said that, there is a lesson in life that Skeet has learned and I admire the crap out of him for dealing with the advesity. KVD won fair and square given the rules that were set up. Skeet, you the man!
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Joe Berge

Post by Joe Berge »

I am a big fan of both Kevin Vandam and Skeet Reese but Skeet absolutley dominated the points race all year long and deserves the title. Angler of the year is exactly what it says and implies......ANGLER OF THE YEAR......THEEEEEE YYYYEEEEAAAARRRRR!!!! Not Angler of the week! Skeet Reese crushed his competition ALL YEAR LONG and deserves to be rewarded for it. BASS, I think you need to go back to your original format with an after the regular season AOY champion. This is the best format as it rewards anglers for being the most consistent throughout the year. Isn't that what this award is about? Consistency! Maybe they should try Post season MVP award? Just a thought.
Joe Berge

Post by Joe Berge »

I am a big fan of both Kevin Vandam and Skeet Reese but Skeet absolutley dominated the points race all year long and deserves the title. Angler of the year is exactly what it says and implies......ANGLER OF THE YEAR......THEEEEEE YYYYEEEEAAAARRRRR!!!! Not Angler of the week! Skeet Reese crushed his competition ALL YEAR LONG and deserves to be rewarded for it. BASS, I think you need to go back to your original format with an after the regular season AOY champion. This is the best format as it rewards anglers for being the most consistent throughout the year. Isn't that what this award is about? Consistency! Maybe they should try Post season MVP award? Just a thought.
Kbeever

Post by Kbeever »

I think the new BASS AOY system is not a fair determination of who the most cosistent angler is. Like Rick pointed out, if they pick a lake that is more suited for Van Dam's style of fishing for the last tournament, then he has the obvious advantage. Also, seasonally, one angler may be better suited for summmer fishing than another. That is why having the AOY proves who is the most consistent during all seasons, not just summer. Lke him or not SKEETE REESE is the legitimate AOY.

Unfortunate truth we all have to live with is those with the money make the rules and if this format pays the bills better than the other, ESPN is going to stay with it.

And yes, KVD is a stud fisherman....but definitely has enough trophies on his wall already.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

bologna....Thats what I think of it....
and all of you who think that is acceptable are full of it too.

my 2 cents...
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
BassnReed

Post by BassnReed »

Like the format or not (I dont)......It is what it is and all of them paid their entry fee's going into it and knowing the rules.
KReed
Noluk

Post by Noluk »

I disagree strongly with the process because it minimizes the achievments of the angler in the full tour events. Once the top 12 is selected from the full field tour events they reduce the points by 1 significant digit. That means a full field win isn't worth 200 points it is worth 20. There is a bigger points difference between 1 and 10 in a post season event and 1 and 99 in a regular field event.

Turn the last two events into full field events and use regular points and Skeet wins this easily. AOY is a culmination of the years angling efforts, not how well you do on 4 days. The ENTIRE post season is as much fishing as a single tour tournament. Golf gets to vote for their Player of the Year. Most sports have fields of sport reporters who evaluate year long contributions and award MVP type of awards. BASS has always awarded AOY for season long contributions not a single event.

KVD certainly won the last two weeks and made the best of the format that was offered him but it should gall HIM more than anyone else what they have done to the AOY. I wish he had stood up on the stage and told the world that Skeet earned AOY. I know that 20 yearts from now when he looks at his collection of AOY trophies, this one will be bittersweet. In his heart he knows it should not be his. How will he feel when he beats Rolands total number of AOY but realizes that the playing the playoff game and NOT the season long standings is why he has set a new record. Do not get me wrong, KVD did everything he had to do at a time when it mattered most but it was not a season long culmination and that is what AOY should stand for.

My main dissatisfaction with this system is that the point disparity between regular season events and the post season is so huge. I did not do the math but there is probably a way someone could be perfect during the regular season and then lose AOY based on this points disparity. There needs to be a way for the main season to mean something more if your calling it AOY. It should not be awarded for success against a limited field over the course of 4 days in July.
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

I still don't agree...

This is the new format, period..

Skeet knew the rules in ADVANCE the past 2 years...He had a cushion both years too...

Fact is he folded under the formats pressure...

The old AOY is just that, OLD....

In no way did KVD have an advantage, he simply stepped up and WON when it mattered most..

Did Skeet have a better regular season, yes. But the regular season only qualified anglers for the post season. The post season came and Skeet slipped..

Look at KVD, if it was a 10 event series like years ago he may have regained the points to win. He was on a roll at the end of the season and skeet was slipping...

Denny B's season years ago had 150 pro's+ and he won 4 events in one season. I think that is one of the best years ever and Skeet did come close, but not the best.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Rick Clunn's take on it.

Clunn's take on post-season 8/2/2010

Four-time Bassmaster Classic winner Rick Clunn recently gave BassFans his take on the U.S. Open cheating incident, and today he called to offer his opinion on the Bassmaster Elite Series post-season. He wishes it'd never been dreamt up.

"Really the thing that's a very sad travesty is what's been done to Skeet Reese the last couple of years," he said of the Californian who led the Angler of the Year (AOY) points list after each of the last 2 regular seasons, but lost the title to Kevin VanDam in the post-season on each occasion. "I'm not trying to pick on Kevin – I'm one of his biggest fans and all he does is goes out and fishes as hard as he can, and he's really a victim in this too with some people claiming it's his fault. But I can't imagine how anybody thinks this is a fair system.

"Skeet had a lead of over a hundred points, and then through somebody's mathematical ignorance it gets reduced down to 15 points. Then (BASS) makes the (4 post-season days spread over two events) more important than the other 32 days the man has fished during the season.

"They want to make it more like NASCAR," he continued, "but NASCAR has never been a fair sport, anyway. People in that sport have always tried to pull shenanigans and I don't think it's something we should be trying to copy. The people who run these tournaments don't understand how important the format is to the integrity, and what they've done is taken away the credibility of the Angler of the Year."

Clunn called Reese's season – which included two wins, two runner-up finishes and two 5ths in eight outings – one of the best he can recall in his 37 years as a tour pro.

"I understand that they want (the AOY race) to be competitive going down to the end, but they've really erased a historical year – they've basically put a lid on it and artificially gutted it. This is a farce and it's embarrassing and it's not fair to anybody.

"Anytime you try to handicap or socialize a performance-based sport, the end result is that you end up diluting it. Maybe it didn't seem so bad last year when the points were closer going in, but this year it's really been exposed."

Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
mattwarner

Post by mattwarner »

ALL of those elite guys are AWESOME, thats why they are there fishing for a living and we are here complaining about it. Skeet has been close but not close enough. You so cal guys hate it when skeet gets beat by a midwestern boy named KVD. Yeah skeet deserves it with all of his wins this year, but if those guys dont like it then they wouldnt be fishing bass. The best is always on top....KVD ROCKS
whazup

Post by whazup »

Good to know the guys who fish this circuit recognize this travesty. And to the guy who said NASCAR was a raging success, better check your facts. NASCAR is scrambling, trying to save a dying sport. BASS will not be far behind, sadly.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Rick Clunn wrote:I can't imagine how anybody thinks this is a fair system. What they've done is taken away the credibility of the Angler of the Year."
It really doesn't matter who is involved, toss out KVD & Skeet and plug any of the other guys who fish that circuit in there, the results are gonna still be the same. Our thoughts as fan's are always gonna be biased, and only serve to create the Chaotic attention to the sport desired by the league. They got what they wanted, and the player who had the most phenominal season BASS, or any league for that metter, has ever witnessed, got screwed with the new format. And you can bet, Rick Clunn is NOT, the only angler in that league who has the same thoughts and fealings about it, as he stated.

I just hope the rumors are true, that ESPN is looking to sell BASS and it comes to fruition. In as much as ESPN has done some great things for the sport of tournament bass fishing, they've done some purty assinine things as well. They should stick to what they do best, bring sporting events to the viewing audiances, and stay out of thinking they know how to make em work better!
Last edited by Cooch on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

If you like the Championship format keep it. It is not AOY! Call it something else and give AOY credit to who it belongs to.

NASCAR is far from dying.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
whazup

Post by whazup »

sker13 wrote:If you like the Championship format keep it. It is not AOY! Call it something else and give AOY credit to who it belongs to.

NASCAR is far from dying.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/sport ... .html?_r=1
ACP

Post by ACP »

[quote="Noluk"] I wish he had stood up on the stage and told the world that Skeet earned AOY. [/quote]

I'll give 200,000 reasons why he shouldn't. If KVD had the season Skeet did & the out come was reversed you wouldn't see Skeet or any other Elite Angler say that someone else deserved the AOY.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Sagging ratings, so called lost fans and attendance does not equal dying. So what they only made 2.5 billion instead of 3. It may have seen it's hay day but it is far from dead. Besides that article failed to back up anything it said with actual numbers. I am not a Nascar fan FYI I just understand business. New fans being brought up everyday.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

It is indeed an unfair method of determining "AOY", and as many pointed out should really be separate from the year-long standings.

AOY should be determined by their performance for the season, and if they want to do playoffs then give it a different title, but by all means award the deserving angler the AOY honors.

Skeet had a season for the ages, and in reality two in a row, and really earned that title. KVD is incredible and deserves a suitable title for winning the points in the playoffs, but not AOY.

Unreal how some of these decisions are made, but at the end of the day all the anglers knew the format going in. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is until they change it up.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
fun4fish

Post by fun4fish »

It's a Mickey Mouse move by who else? Disney! Let's not forget who owns B.A.S.S.

People sell out all the time with no regard as to how the end result is going to be. Do they care about the baby they nursed? No it's about money. This is the problem with todays culture.

KVD should of handed that trophy to Skeet just to acknowledge how incredible his season was and to show the real fans of the sport that he deserved it.
ACP

Post by ACP »

[quote="fun4fish"] No it's about money.[/quote]

No profit no tournaments! That's goes for any tournament organization not just BASS.

[quote="fun4fish"] KVD should of handed that trophy to Skeet just to acknowledge how incredible his season was and to show the real fans of the sport that he deserved it.[/quote]

Do you really think Skeet or any other Elite angler would have done that? I think not.
Joe Berge

Post by Joe Berge »

Apples to Apples Skeet wins AOY. Apples to Oranges KVD wins AOY. I think I speak for most bass fishing fans....KVD is probably the best bass fisherman of our time and is a great face for the sport of competitive bass fishing but Skeet Reese has proven over the last two years what it means to truly be angler of the year. AOY should not be decided in a 4 day two tournament event style. In my mind Skeet Reese is the true AOY. I added Skeet and KVD's score (placement at each tournament) for the year and this is how it shaped up.
2010 Regular Season – 93 Boat Field
Skeets Place KVD's Place
1) 2nd 29th
2) 5th 59th
3) 1st 22nd
4) 5th 57th
5) 1st 9th
6) 59th 38th
7) 48th 1st
8) 2nd 6th
Totals - Skeet - 123 KVD – 221

That’s a 102 place difference!

Let's look at the post season......12 Anglers in two tournaments. How do you even start to compare this to the regular season?
The only way to figure this out… accurately… is to compare apples to apples. I had to assign a place value to each of the 12 boats in the post season based on a full field of 93 boats from the regular season. This will give us a place value for each of the 12 anglers. Keep in mind this is based on a full field of 93 boats.
93 divided by 12 = 7.75
1st place being 0
2nd place being 7.75
3rd place being 15.50
Etc.Etc. Etc……to 12th place being 85.25

This is how it worked out!

2010 Post Season – 12 Boat Field (calculated on a full field of 93 boats)
Skeets Place KVD's Place
1) 10th = 69.75 place 3rd = 15.50 place
2) 6th = 38.75 place 1st = 0 place
Totals - Skeet – 108.50 KVD- 15.50

.....................SKEET KVD
Regular Season) 123 221
Post Season) 108.50 15.50

Totals - Skeet – 231.50 KVD- 236.50

And Skeet wins by 5 places!
Let’s suppose there was not a post season and the anglers had two more tournaments to fish with a full field of 93 boats……….KVD would have had to gain 51 places in EACH of the last two tournaments to best Skeet Reese .
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

hydro wrote:Rod , Could not agree more! Its because of this type of nonsense I cancelled my membership 4 or 5 years ago and their not giving me any reason to rejoin.
So did I and they constantly send me offers for a reduced membership and I throw them away. I am not a Reese fan but he did have one hell of a season and to lose out like he did had to be hard for him. After the first five events he had it locked up. BASS needs to go back to the original format and get rid of this one they have in force.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!