What if you catch one of Mike's torpedo fish?

DeltaBound

What if you catch one of Mike's torpedo fish?

Post by DeltaBound »

What if you catch one of Mike's fish in a tournament and somehow a Mike's torpedo is discovered? what then?
Marty

Re: What if you catch one of Mike's torpedo fish?

Post by Marty »

If you catch one that means you were dragging the bottom for your fish!
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

Could a fish live with one of those in there belly?
DL

Post by DL »

DeltaBound wrote:What if you catch one of Mike's fish in a tournament and somehow a Mike's torpedo is discovered? what then?
The hook will be a tell tale sign of how long it has been in the fish... Hooks begin to rust within hours of being submerged in water. But I see your point. It sure would suck for someone to be labeled a cheater for catching one of these fish two 4 months after the fact... :x
"Feel the steel"
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

I don't think his fish can swim with all that weight.. :shock: I remember seeing dead fish at the west ramp t-dock they were sunk to the bottom and not moving with the current. Now I know why....
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

I'm calling "Myth Busters" so they can see if bass can swim with weights in them and if they can live for any period of time with a hook piercing their stomach while the weights are in them. Then I hope they blow them up just because!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Of course they can live. Many years ago a bass w/ 5lb dive weight was caught in San Diego. Analysis showed it had been there for years. I vaguely recall it was caught by a Fish/Game employee or San Diego lakes employee.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
szuloaga

Post by szuloaga »

Believe it or not bass hurl up body acids that help them put BIG meals away and break them down so they can digest it correctly- and this body acid can actually eat away at a hook not neccessarily the weight but, the hook for sure and looking at his torpedo set-up with how the line is tied around the wiring of the sinker. A fish's body acids would adventually eat that line away and they'd possibly be able to discharge that weight depending on the angle of the sinker in the fish's belly and be just fine. So, my guess is a good majority of the surviving fish would adventually discharge all the hardware. Just my two cents based on the studying thru the years of largemouth. Hope this helps!

Steve
Last edited by szuloaga on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senkoskipper

Post by senkoskipper »

szuloaga wrote:Believe it or not bass hurl up body acids that help them put BIG meals away and break them down so they can digest it correctly- and this body acid can actually eat away at a hook not neccessarily the weight but, the hook for sure and looking at his torpedo set-up with how the line is tied around the wiring of the sinker. A fish's body acids would adventually eat that line away and they'd possibly be able to discharge that weight depending on the angle of the sinker in the fish's belly and be just fine. So, my guess is a good majority of the surviving fish would adventually discharge all the hardware. Just my two cents based on the studying thru the years of largemouth I have done. Hope this helps!

Steve
+1. The bass should be fine. I use to fish this tiny lake that was just crammed full of 4-5 pounders. The bass were so voracious that they just inhaled everything and a lot of times the hooks get stuck deep in their throat. I had no choice cept to cut the line and leave the hook in. If this were a problem and they were dieing, I would notice since i fished the lake practically everyday.
szuloaga

Post by szuloaga »

Yeah, you have a fish swallow a hook down deep enough and try to pull that hook out you might remove the insides of the fish and 9 times out of 10 depending on how deep the hook is the fish will die so, I usually will just cut the line and leave the hook as that increases their chances of surviving. Good stuff - keep it goin!

Steve 8)
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I would blame it on him!

Hey, now a guy could copy his rigging!

:D

I think the fish would be able to adjust with its swim bladder.

Could be wrong though.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

Keith: Here's a review of that 1998 event.
http://kramergonefishing.com/2009/03/19 ... -them-all/

The facts never matched the myth.

A meteor will likely hit your boat before someone catches a preloader. But if it does happen, maybe they should win a Rapala fillet set. :wink: