Air Conditioner "Tune up" for home?

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
Caudawg

Air Conditioner "Tune up" for home?

Post by Caudawg »

Are these "tune-ups" really worthwhile that a lot of these Heating/Air Conditioning companies are offering for a discount (Like $87)??

It seems like a possible opportunity to upsell into newer systems, but I really wonder if these tune-ups are for real? I'd swear I heard somebody tell me they were a joke...like spaying lubricant where the fan turns?? Heck, I don't know nuttin' about this stuff and don't want to get suckered...

Any trained professionals out there?
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Greg_Cornish

Re: Air Conditioner "Tune up" for home?

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I'll ask my nephew who's an HVAC guy, he should know. I'll post his answer.

I bought an A/C from the Benzigers who owned the Glen Ellen winery in 83. It still cools my wife's studio without a tuneup.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Okay, Its something you can do yourself. Just keep filters and coils clean. Unplug it first

HVAC guy wrote: Spraying what? Those motors are sealed bearings. Don't need to spray a dam thing on em. They should be cleaning the coil.

[Are these "tune-ups" really worthwhile that a lot of these Heating/Air Conditioning companies are offering for a discount (Like $87)??

It seems like a possible opportunity to upsell into newer systems, but I really wonder if these tune-ups are for real? I'd swear I heard somebody tell me they were a joke...like spaying lubricant where the fan turns?? Heck, I don't know nuttin' about this stuff and don't want to get suckered...]
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Hey, I am a Facilities Manager and do my own seasonal "clean up" on my hvac....I would never pay anyone to do a PM on a home unit unless its covered under warranty repair.

First and foremost I change my filter monthly, quit buying those 20.00 3M filters every three months. By a Natural Air filter 3 for $9.00 and replace monthly they have a MERV rating of 8 which is very good. Replace it monthly will take a load off your system as it will not have to fight the filter and will be more effecient. The ONLY purpose that filter is serving is to keep debris from building up on the coil.

2.) Cover the Compressor Unit in the winter to keep debris for getting in. (this is the box setting outside of the house)

3.)In the spring Clean the Condensor- its simple take a degreaser detergent (pros use an acid base product) I use a commerical peroxide base product....Simple green or dawn will work. There are screws that hold the fan shroud together unscrew them, clean the fins with a hose and a SOFT scrub brush, if there are fins that are bent straiten them out or comb them out. Remeber you want to clean from the inside out.

Check the condition of the wires, if they are brittle to the touch have them repalced or replace them.

4.) Depending on use clean the Coil with a degreaser and water, soft scrub brush every other year.

As Greg said, the motors are sealed dont do ANYTHING to them, same with the fan motor its sealed.

This may sound complicated but the evolution takes approximatly an hour to an hour and half depending on the level of detail you bring.

This very EASY maintenance will make your system run much more effecient and cleaner.

Cheers!

http://www.comfortengineers.com/img/ill_hvac.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEfHpka3ec
johnsonfredral

Post by johnsonfredral »

thanks for sharing :)
[url=http://cabinetsmakers.com.au]Cabinet makers[/url]
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Thanks guys! Great details Ash! Appreciated!!!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer