Ranger smokes Triton

3rd sucks worse

Ranger smokes Triton

Post by 3rd sucks worse »

Last friday I was on my way to the CBC weight in near Buckingham Point when I noticed Richard Doybns makin his last casts. Here comes this Triton on pad blowin by him. It looked like Kent Brown. Richard pulls the trolling motor and the race is on. By the time Richard got to Monitor Point he left the Triton and Brown in the dust. I think the next boat I buy will be a Ranger with an Evinrude on it
kb

Re: Ranger smokes Triton

Post by kb »

yea Richards boat had me by about a mile an hour......but I will run him any time he wants again without my Clear Lake prop on it....funny he didn't pass me in the Sacramento River at the regionals!!!!!!

His boat runs good and if his dad drove it instead of Richard's skinny little *** it might be a really good boat race......he needed to get in faster than me he had more fish than I did....

Hell I guess the Triton aquisition has already had some influence on the Rangers
Last edited by kb on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kent,

Lets see him pass an HP...
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Wow Kent. You just admitted that a Ranger beat you??? lol
kb

Post by kb »

Yep Richards did by just a little bit......but if you want to bring yours up Brian along with some money I might be talked into a race!!!

Yea the XS boat is super stable and you don't have to drive it at all...with that being said it runs slower than the XHP but everyone can drive it!!

kb
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Kent, Can I get in on this with my pantera? :D :D
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

My boat is slow.. But you cannot touch my LS1 :lol:
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Man up KB, you got passed by a Ranger/ETEC - No excusses necessary :D :D
Last edited by Gary Dobyns on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Kent,

We all know Ranger guys have that tingling feeling when they pass their first boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Somehow it just makes them feel good inside for once. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Triton gets passed all the time thanks to my gas saving Honda.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But thats going to change soon :D

But my Triton 21HP demo's running XS's served up lots of *** whippings and the ocassional loss to Mr. Allison and Stroker.

Ohh and Gary, You can't count going with current, it just isn't right. Or did you mean 79 behind the truck going to the launch ramp :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
Team Pollard

Post by Team Pollard »

I was in Kents Boat on Friday, didnt know we were in a Race with Richard, did see his boat though. We were side by Side from about Jago bay all the way to Red Bud. I was watching Richard because His Prop wash was green from Algae, And that was right next to Kb. I dont care what boat is faster, there both fast enough to me. :lol:
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Team Pollard wrote: I was in Kents Boat on Friday, didnt know we were in a Race with Richard, :
That's because Kent didn't have his "Folsom prop" Image
Jeff Huth

Post by Jeff Huth »

Folsom prop, Clear Lake prop, ...........
Now thats some FUNNY sh** there !!!!!
Love ya KB..........................
fishinfool74

Post by fishinfool74 »

Question for some? do you drop the pitch of your prop when you have had one to many donuts that morning. How many props does one need to have with them?
:) :)
Keith Tripp

Post by Keith Tripp »

Sounds to me KB had a nice slice of humble pie. Is that part of your diet KB????
kb

Post by kb »

Yea sounds that way guys....I run a smaller prop up there for rough water and hole shot in shallow water. Sorry if it sounded bad I know I pissed Gary off but was not having a good night last night.....some bad news hit home in big piles last night!

Richard's boat is fast and he will probably pass all of you guys soon.....

kb
TRUFISH

Post by TRUFISH »

kb, what prop r u using on your triton?
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Here’s the real story,

Gary and I were up near the mouth of Rodman where Kent and Richard were fishing, we took off about 25 minutes before weigh-ins.

Right past Shag Rock Gary noticed KB off in the distance near the hwy 20 shore running like a bat of hell with a white boat right behind him.

A couple of seconds later the boat passed him like he was standing still, I asked Gary, "was that a Bullet or an Allison that just passed Kentâ€
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

BUMP.... 8) 8) 8) THIS IS WORTH LOGGING INTO!!!
F!$# 0N!

JIMMY REESE
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

You guys are way too much! 75, 80 mph in a bass boat woopee. I have personally been clocked by radar as a passanger in a 20 foot champ with a 285+ hp merc bridgeport at 92mph. Dam thing sounded like a blender! been in a military jet fighter and experienced visual blackout (google that). Ran the 1/4 mile in 9.11 at 157mph in my own custom hot rod in 1977. The hell with bikes, don't care for the taste of dirt but I do admire those guys that do 360s now that takes guts and a bit of macho stupidity!! Bass boats are fun but don't even compare to a roller coaster! Yeah I've had a few guys not want to ride in my boat with me, just can't figure out why. By the way I own a Ranger too but it only has a 150 merc efi 4 blade prop for control (love to turn and dig) when I miss my exit
f350mudder

Post by f350mudder »

I got a question since we are talking boat speeds and all.How can I tell if my motor is trimmed properly when on the water ? I heard some people say look at your RPM's some say your speed increases. I'm just wondering if there is a fool proof way to tell my motor is where it should be...Thanks in advance for your help.
Its not how deep you fish,but how you wiggle your worm.
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

f350mudder wrote:I got a question since we are talking boat speeds and all.How can I tell if my motor is trimmed properly when on the water ? I heard some people say look at your RPM's some say your speed increases. I'm just wondering if there is a fool proof way to tell my motor is where it should be...Thanks in advance for your help.
Moniter both your RPM's and speed..If you are at high RPM and low speed trim up.. If you have a lot of RPM and no speed and the motor is kinda loud you should probablly trim down :)
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!

Post by Guest »

Leave it to the pro's of Ihba or nhra or nascar There the true kings of speed :lol:
kmah

Post by kmah »

What I want to know is other than if your name is Dobyns, can you catch fish doing 70+... that would be impressive. I say Dobyns because he can catch a fish in a glass of water.
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

kmah wrote:What I want to know is other than if your name is Dobyns, can you catch fish doing 70+... that would be impressive. I say Dobyns because he can catch a fish in a glass of water.
Yep, he's a stud, his dad isn't that bad either! Image
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="2ndsuks"][quote="kmah"]What I want to know is other than if your name is Dobyns, can you catch fish doing 70+... that would be impressive. I say Dobyns because he can catch a fish in a glass of water.[/quote]

Yep, he's a stud, his dad isn't that bad either! [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smil ... ing021.gif[/img][/url][/quote]

**** YOU!! Tobey :D That was good :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Gary, wait til Richard gets ahold of the props coming your way.
Hey Kent, do you want me to send you my Diamond Valley Lake prop or maybe even my Lake Skinner prop? :wink:
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Hey Tobey... After riding with you I gotta know... What prop were YOU running? Bonneville Salt Flats? Alabama mud bog?
3rd sucks worse

Post by 3rd sucks worse »

I think I got it . The reason why Richard smoked Kent was because Kent's big *** has 100 lbs. on Richards skinny little ***. I don't think it's the clear lake prop, I think it's the clear lake burgers and beer.
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

bryanmc wrote:Hey Tobey... After riding with you I gotta know... What prop were YOU running? Bonneville Salt Flats? Alabama mud bog?
I was running a Tempest "Dead Sea" prop! :lol:
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Oh ok then. You know, it was pretty ugly when the guy in the kayak passed us. :roll:
j10b

Post by j10b »

fishinman wrote:You guys are way too much! 75, 80 mph in a bass boat woopee. I have personally been clocked by radar as a passanger in a 20 foot champ with a 285+ hp merc bridgeport at 92mph. Dam thing sounded like a blender! been in a military jet fighter and experienced visual blackout (google that).

I got to LOL at this one. That Chump musta had Paul Nichols old record setting motor. Which "military jet fighter" did you g-lock in?

No one tell him what I do for work or what boat I drive... I have hooked me a good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
j10b

Post by j10b »

bigbass111 wrote:Kent,

But my Triton 21HP demo's running XS's served up lots of *** whippings and the ocassional loss to Mr. Allison and Stroker.
You forgot Bullet unless you are 86+. Im in a 2inches short of 22feet boat too. :wink: I should be closer to 87ish light in the fall.

Although in the right year toon, 80+ is very easy.
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

bryanmc wrote:Oh ok then. You know, it was pretty ugly when the guy in the kayak passed us. :roll:
Dude, what do you expect, the guy had his Shasta paddle ! Image
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! KB is getting owned here.
Ib5g

Post by Ib5g »

Well the z520 may have passed the Triton but im sure the ride was better in Triton :)
Don't stop till it sounds expensive!!
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Had the pleasure to fish in Garys old boat at Oroville last AC Pro-Am and that was the fastest Ranger I have been in. We blew by everyone, not one boat passed us that day. Cats. Toons, Champs they all got smoked. The driver has something to do with it to...

Gary who sold that boat huh?

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

This brings back memories, and is causing me to chuckle with all the peanut gallery remarks about speed. You guys really don't know how fast, fast is in a bass boat, unless ya ever rode in or were passed truely standing still by Rick Kraft and his Allison of the mid 90s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Hey KB, in all fairness, you prolly shouldn't race Gary, unless it's a Dunkin Donut's morning! LMAO!
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Kent Image
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Kiefer's Gambler isn't bad bad either at 90 plus. Damn rocket!! :D :D
Kevin Stewart

Post by Kevin Stewart »

kb wrote:Yep Richards did by just a little bit......but if you want to bring yours up Brian along with some money I might be talked into a race!!!

Yea the XS boat is super stable and you don't have to drive it at all...with that being said it runs slower than the XHP but everyone can drive it!!

kb

Hmmmmm pretty sure you were running the XHP when my 20i passed you on the delta last year (when you cut me off)....ooopppps maybe you were running your Berryessa prop. :? :? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BigBassMan

Post by BigBassMan »

Hey Kent,
i Guarantee Ron Sanches in his allison will give you a run anytime. That thing is a rocket.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

I have had Kraft pass me on the San Joaguin, and he was gone out of sight before the next bend! Crazy sensation, but I would have loved seeing Richard pass that Tritanic!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Triton's are very prop sensitive, My current Slug (Honda) has a 6-7mph differance between my 3 blade (25 Temp) and 4 blade(Power tech).

And If you want to throw stories, passing Scott Martin for the third time in one day on Okeechobee was enough for him to roll up to me and say HOLY S$#U**&@*) that boat moves. I thought this boat moved (Z520 W/250 ETEC HO) crap man.

All 4 of my Tr-21 XHP and 21HP's ran 76-78MPH Loaded with Gear, livewells, 2 people and 25lbs of Everglades in the livewell. (250 Pro XS, Bob's 10", Trophy 27 and 26 fury. Nothing modified or worked prop wise.

To be honest, not one of those boats was ever ran light. They were always full of gas and gear. So I have no clue what they would have done solo (79, 80 who knows)

So if you have a 20i Skeeter passing one of these then Kent was having a really bad day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if he was truely in an XHP...

The only thing passing me was Bullets, Allisons, Strokers, Gamblers, big O's, Fast Cats and old bee's.
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Cooch is right about riding with Rick Kraft back in the 90s. It was about my 4th tournament (I had no time in a bass boat before tournaments) and it launched out of Big Break. We were boat #11. As we are idling around prior to blast off some of the guys would said we will pray for you Mike, hang-on. I did not have a clue what they were talking about, I had ridden with Barrack and I always had a great ride. Well we finally BLAST-OFF. OMG we were past the first 10 boats in NO time. It was such a Fast and smooth ride that later in the day I was retying while he was doing 70+.
bassinbillmc

Post by bassinbillmc »

Kent,

Saw this post and couldn't help but think about that tournament on Shasta many years ago, and the "wild ride" in your Ranger when we were coming in.

Hope that the bad news that you referenced in your post has abated and that all is well with you and your family.

I plan on fishing again next year, and hope you do well at the upcoming event at Clear Lake.

Bill McGuigan
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Guys, I'm sure this thread started out as a little payback jab at KB for all the shots he's taken at Richard and Gary and their Rangers.

It's not about Ranger vs Triton or who has the fastest bass boat, it's just a little friendly retribution and perhaps a little piling on! :lol:

My dad used to tell me "if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it"
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

They don't call them (Rangers) lead sleds for nothing. I know my 492VS has come close to 77GPS with a 27P Tempest. I also know that there are guys running the same motor (Simon Motorsports 335HP) as mine back east on Gamblers, Strokers and Bullets up to 103mph GPS. It's all about the design of the hull. Either your boat can make speed or it can't. The Driver, prop and setup get you to where you are, but hydrodynamics are going to make or break you. 8)
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
f350mudder

Post by f350mudder »

Please forgive me as I am not as boat/prop smart as most of you on here,but is there that much difference in what prop you use ? I'm just curious if my little boat ( 89 Bass Tracker w/ a Kevlar hull and a Merc Black Max 150hp) would run any better if I got a different prop.The prop on there now is a 3 blade Quicksilver Laser2 and its a 22p.
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

F350.... in order to give you the correct answer, you need to give us your WOT rpms, speed (GPS) and the height settings of the prop. If you have a jackplate, were it is set. You also need to provide us with the max rpm's your motor is supposed to turn. I would bet that there is a better prop for you than the LASER II, but it will be based on your numbers.
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
f350mudder

Post by f350mudder »

I appreciate the reply 492 but like I said I'm not to smart with boat motors.I don't know how or where to find all that stuff,the only info I can give is my speed topped out at 58 mph (gps) and I got no jack plate.I hate to ask but if you could or anyone tell me how to get that info that would be great.