My Apologies for the Rehash..... Braid for Spooks, Punkers

kwikfish

My Apologies for the Rehash..... Braid for Spooks, Punkers

Post by kwikfish »

Sorry for reincarnating a pretty drawn out subject...... but I seem to have lost my notes on this subject....

Quick question, hopefully quick answer:

65# braid for punkers - direct connection to lure or add short mono topshot to keep from fouling hooks?

What pound braid for spooks? Same 65# or can I go less? Same short Mono topshot to prevent fouling?

Thanks.
fishnhunt21

Re: My Apologies for the Rehash..... Braid for Spooks, Punk

Post by fishnhunt21 »

I use 65# braid for Punkers, spooks and my sammy. I know alot of guys the night before have there bait tied on and hang it. They dab some super glue on the line above the bait to run down and to harden it and reduce the fouling or line wraps.
Burke

Post by Burke »

I use 65# for Punkers and Sammys and tie the braid directly to the lure. I guess I'm lucky most of the time because I only foul my hooks maybe 1 in 10 casts.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

Thanks for the refresher. No need to take up more bandwidth.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

#80 for the Wooden Punkers myself - It floats ALOT better from the front with direct tie polamer knot. Rather than than the #65 and no glue needed for the front to prevent frontal hook fowling. Also the bigger "spool" reel you can use the better - and I use the ABU Record 500 only for the LP Baits on a 7'6"H rod.

+ you will never loose that bait on #80 test line unless you are Balzhar. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I throw the Shell Cracker and MS Slammer on #65 Braid from a 7:1 reel.

The Frog on #50 along with the Crickets.

Big Hammer SB's on #17 Floro. Rip Baits on #12 Floro.

Perch colored Wiggle Warts on #14 Mono. Just don't cast up into the Tulies on the mono where you can not get your boat to for an over cast . -- You will loose a CLASSIC BAIT fishinng out west before you can say F' Me ! :oops:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
925_Angler

Post by 925_Angler »

kwikfish wrote:Sorry for reincarnating a pretty drawn out subject...... but I seem to have lost my notes on this subject....

Quick question, hopefully quick answer:

65# braid for punkers - direct connection to lure or add short mono topshot to keep from fouling hooks?

What pound braid for spooks? Same 65# or can I go less? Same short Mono topshot to prevent fouling?

Thanks.
i always run a topshot when throwin the punkers... not only does it help in getting fowled hooks undone easier but also works as a shock obsorber when the biggins pumble your lure with wreckless abandon! i used to run str8t braid but now a days i will never do that again for TW ... 50#PP double uni'd to 40# leader is my preference...

spooks, ehhhh, they kinda collect dust in my tackle box now but same setup would work fine for throwin them too :)
C&R stripers!
sy

Post by sy »

925, how long of a top shot do you use?
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

Just remember to have you'r drag set right when using braid for TW when fishing for striper. Last year I had the biggest striper of my life hit my 6" punker(wood of course), it burried the line as soon as it hit the punker. The beast straightened out two of the hooks and spat the punker out all in one fell swoop. I couldnt do a thing about it, backed the drag off but the line was burried so deep in the spool it didn't matter. Now I throw punkers for striper on 25-30lb big game(and upgrade my hooks to ST41's with hyperwire split rings) with no problems. On my smaller, and subsurface baits I use 65lb braid.

Learn from my mistakes and don't let this happen to you!
www.baysicscreenprint.com
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

For me with six or eight inch Punker's, I use 65# Braid, enlarging the Nose O'ring and changing the Six inch model hooks out with Owner X2's, tail straight white or red. Use a Berkeley Cross-lock and tie with a San Diego Jam Knot ( I haven't broken off yet with this knot in 2yrs), For the Eight inch or wood, I do the above, but I change the Front hook to a owner 4X.

I don't use Mono, nor a leader of any material.

Rich Thiel
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WishIWereFishing......dude your making it way to complicated. 65# braid......saltwater 4x hooks and direct tie. Bring it on. I'll fing pull those biothes like a shark.
LL South
ugly stick

Post by ugly stick »

I dont understand why people talk about line fouling the front hook of a punker. Havent had it happen once in 2Yrs throwing the punker. CONTROL YOUR SLACK AND YOU WONT HAVE THAT PROBLEM.

For me personally. Ill go from 65 or 80Lb braid or 25LB triple fish or 30lb big game. Depends what i have laying around. When im shore pounding i def like braid more.

CHANGE THE HOOKS OF YOUR PUNKERS. All the punkers i have came with pretty shitty hooks. I have no problem changing them out. the bait catches fish!! Change the feather treble too! Its not hard to do. Ill take the feathers and lay them on the shank of the hookand take some braid and wrap it around until i have enough on there and then tie a knot and super Glue the braid. Holds fine.

hope this helps...
WishinIwerFishin

JustinD wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WishIWereFishing......dude your making it way to complicated. 65# braid......saltwater 4x hooks and direct tie. Bring it on. I'll fing pull those biothes like a shark.
Ok bud, I'll try to keep it simple just for you next time bro.
Burke

Post by Burke »

I also change out my all punker hooks to Owner 4X. I found a guy on eBay who ties feathered hooks. I sent him the Owner 4X hooks and he tied a bunch of customed feathered in various sizes for me.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Ok bud, I'll try to keep it simple just for you next time bro.
I'm just saying......ever seen a striper pace a bait? There not to concerned about leaders....or anything else for that matter besides gettin theirs before one of their own does. Just saying.
LL South
WishinIwerFishin

I agree, but I never said anything about using a leader.... I was just warning of the fact that the combination of a tight drag and loose braid on the spool from working punkers all day can end up in a burried line and a lost fist..... Just saying.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Damn dude your a little sensitive. Well lets see those donekys then. I haven't even begun to search my haunts and I already have had a few good ones. :lol:
LL South
WishinIwerFishin

JustinD wrote:Damn dude your a little sensitive. Well lets see those donekys then. I haven't even begun to search my haunts and I already have had a few good ones. :lol:
:lol: :lol: Me sensative, thats a good one, if you ever meet me in person you'd realize I'm the exact opposite. Just trying to make it clear I wasn't recomending a leader with braid. I'm sure you've got some good fish already as I'm sure you have more experience on the delta(I've only had my own bass boat to run around in for 2yrs). What I'm not sure of is if or why your taking offense to it, maybe I should use more smiley faces next time.....
925_Angler

Post by 925_Angler »

sy wrote:925, how long of a top shot do you use?
usually somewhere between 18-24" ...
C&R stripers!