Tournament "Options"???

Max

Tournament "Options"???

Post by Max »

I'm new to this game and looking at entering a few tournaments this next season but am confused. What the heck are all these "options" I see in the fees? Big fish - that seems self explanatory. What about $10 option, $20 option etc....? I'm betting the # of competitors factors into it but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

thanks for helping a rookie!
bassindon69

Re: Tournament "Options"???

Post by bassindon69 »

It is a side bet that is payed 100% back for the TOP 3 teams only. That is why the money jumps so much in the top 3.
Scott Shambre

Because of this very confusion....

Post by Scott Shambre »

The FOLSOM BASS LEAGUE has only one option, the BIG FISH. Check out the FBL website at www.folsombassleague.com and see what we're all about. Hope to see you out at one of our events this year. See ya out there.

Scott Shambre
FOLSOM BASS LEAGUE
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Hey Max,
Just to follow-up on what Scott said. Tournament Options are generally little
"side-bets" that many Tournament Circuits offer to their anglers. These options
are usually extra money ($10, $20, extra) that the angler can pay (beyond the
entry fee) in hopes of finishing well in a tournament and winning more than the
base pay-back. For example, if you entered into a "top 5" option, paid your
extra money, and then finished in 4th place...you would get extra money paid
back to you in addition to your 4th place prize. There are literally dozens of
options (i.e. side-bets) that a circuit can choose to offer.

Before starting the Folsom Bass League, we spoke to many many anglers about what
they liked about bass tournaments and what they didn't. One of the main issues
that many of them had was that tournaments had become too complex with all the
options and fees required. A long list of options can be confusing
sometimes.

So we did away with all of that and simplified the process. We have ONE
option...big fish....and that option is covered in the entry fee (no extra
payment required). No membership dues, no late fees....we made the process as
easy for our anglers as possible.

When the FBL anglers come in to register on tournament day, the whole process
usually takes less than a few minutes. Which leaves plenty of time for the guys
to have some breakfast and/or coffee at Susie's Cafe. This allows the anglers
time to relax before the tournament.

Many anglers like a lot of options and some do not. What it really boils down to
is a matter of personal preference.

If you have any more questions about tournament fishing, feel free to send me a
PM and I'd be glad to answer them.

hope this helped!
Cooch

Let's be REAL about options!

Post by Cooch »

They are not complicated, unless yer looking at a DR Plots, Series 10 or some of the other goofball gimmicks a few orgs have come up with. But in Reality, the "Options", truly are just that, a Gimmick!

Side options have ONE purpose, to inflate the payback, PERIOD! Some use it to make it look like their payback is greater than the next guys. Other's use multiple options to mask their poor entry fee payback. Fishing tournaments is like gambling, most gambling games have sucker bets, in fishing, it's the options. Your suckered in, to make the otion bet to increase the payback pot. On the other side, yer a sucker if ya don't play the otpions, cause next thing ya know, ya finish in an elligible slot, the guy below ya who got in the pot makes WAY more money than you do.

Your choice is very simple. You either play the option pots, if your in tournaments to make money, or you don't if your just there for the fun and experience.
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

Get in all the options...always.
You'll find the moment you don't...you win.
I found out the hard way. :wink:
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I agree with all the above. Get in all the options if you can afford it, but if you have to watch your pennies or are just feeling things out to see how you fare, just get in the basic entry pot. If you do hit, just don't do the math and it doesn't HURT as bad (memories).
I'm fishing the WON circuit on Folsom this year. They have a 3lb. option. The closest to 3lb. without going over gets that portion of the pot. It was fun watching the scale this weekend. A 2.96 fish was holding for awhile than I think a 2.98 and finally a 2.99 fish took it. That fish alone was worth $220 (imagine if we had a better turn out). It keeps you in the game even if you don't get a limit or average 3.5lb fish!
One thing I haven't seen or remember being disscussed are the basic formulas for how the monies are dispursed. Every organization says they have the best game in town. You also want to consider how the TOC works. Some give away boats and others cash. Find out how to qualify for the TOC as well.
I had to come back...I know...
Barry

Post by Barry »

Big Fish is NEVER an option. You always play that one. The others are "do you feel lucky" bets. Just my .02.... Barry