Best Boat Trailer Tire??

swim-bait com

Best Boat Trailer Tire??

Post by swim-bait com »

Im replacing 5 tires(spare included) on my trailer. Whats the best tire for a good price??
WWW.SWIM-BAIT.COM
K.C.K.

Re: Best Boat Trailer Tire??

Post by K.C.K. »

Whatever you do do not get MAXXIS I have had 2 sets delaminate ,,one blew out at speed. they looked like new but they always after about a 1-1/2 years to two years they start to peel off the belts. Ive had good luck with goodyears but way to much $, and carlisles wear uneven these were all radials.. hope you get some good reply's because I do not trust my Maxxis anymore,, (sorry no suggestions)
For the Rich there is therapy, for the rest of us there is fishing
Later K.C.
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

GOODYEAR MARATHONS WHAT SIZE?

205/75R15 ARE $89.47 + TAX
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
cull25

Post by cull25 »

DAKINE198 wrote:GOODYEAR MARATHONS WHAT SIZE?

205/75R15 ARE $89.47 + TAX
+100 You can usually find them at Walmart or Sam's Club.
Murph

Post by Murph »

I know that the Marathons are the favorites, but personally, I won't own another one. This is because one out of the 4 on my Trailer, went bad,(separated inside). I talked to a Goodyear dealer and he concurred, (off the record). But he couldn't take care of my Bad Tire, because it was purchased in Arkansas. There are better Tires out there! BassCat will put a Passenger Tire on their trailers, and it's pretty impressive.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
cull25

Post by cull25 »

Murph wrote:I know that the Marathons are the favorites, but personally, I won't own another one. This is because one out of the 4 on my Trailer, went bad,(separated inside). I talked to a Goodyear dealer and he concurred, (off the record). But he couldn't take care of my Bad Tire, because it was purchased in Arkansas. There are better Tires out there! BassCat will put a Passenger Tire on their trailers, and it's pretty impressive.
I talked to bass cat personally about those tires you speak of(especially the ones with the 20" rims) and they actually told me that they do not recommend it(seemed strange since you see so many of them with it. I have heard stories about the Marathons as well, but I haven't personally heard of a better one. If you have a chance take a look at some of the heavier(non bass boat) trailers that are out on the road. You may get some other ideas from them. They are carrying heavier loads.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Yeah cull25, I was never a fan of the 20" tires and wheels either. The ones I was referring to, were a 15" Firestone Firehawk. I put a lot of miles on those.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I had carlisles on my Tracker trailer, and had bot a delamination and a goose egg that would have blown if I hadn't felt it as I was driving.
I have Marathons now, and, fingers crossed, no problems in 2+ years.
But I think proper inflation is the key to any tire's performance, and underinflation is probably behind most tire failure.
If it says 50lbs, put in 50lbs.
A softer ride is not worth a blow out.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TIREMAN MP

Post by TIREMAN MP »

I OWN A TIRE STORE AND HAVE ALL BRANDS AT MY DISPOSAL. I RAN CARLISLE TIRES IN THE PAST AND HAD MEDIOCRE SUCCESS, THEN SWITCHED TO THE GOODYEARS AND WIIL NEVER USE ANOTHER TRAILER TIRE, THEY ARE GREAT FOR LOAD CAPACITY AND DURABILITY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SIZING OR PRICING PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL ME, MY NAME IS MATT AT BOB'S QUALITY TIRES. 916-944-8259
BOB'S QUALITY NEW AND USED TIRES
7808 FAIR OAKS BLVD. CARMICHAEL,CA 95608
916-944-8259
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Are the 'COMPLAINERS' Marathon comments based on recent problems ....or from 3-5 yrs ago.

As I understand there was a year w/ Marathon problems....w various boat and trailers I am now on about the 28th or 32nd and haven't had problems. I find the best price to be via tirerack.com, even w/ paying shipping...then get them installed locally.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

keithcant wrote:Are the 'COMPLAINERS' Marathon comments based on recent problems ....or from 3-5 yrs ago.

As I understand there was a year w/ Marathon problems....w various boat and trailers I am now on about the 28th or 32nd and haven't had problems. I find the best price to be via tirerack.com, even w/ paying shipping...then get them installed locally.
The only problem I have with outfits like Tirerack.com is that they take the profit on the tire sale up front, and rely on local tire installers, who can't charge what they need to on installation alone.
The cost of installation typically is subsidized by their profit on the sale of the tire, and, without that sale, those local tire and auto repair shops, like Mom and Pop tackle shops, will struggle to keep their doors open.
I try to support local merchants whenever I can, even if I pay a little more, so they are still in business when I need them.
CLEAN AND DRY
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

oKAY THEN mARK support me I'll trade you tires for baits....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Steve,
I don't need tires right now, but I'll "carry you" until I do.
Call me.
Mark
CLEAN AND DRY
DAKINE198

just something to think about.....

Post by DAKINE198 »

Most of use gauge tire wear by tread depth. But this article makes different recommendations.
Trailer Tire Applications
Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.
Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
Inflation
Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Load Carrying Capacity
All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.
Speed
All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.
Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles
. Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
Storage
The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.
Maintenance
Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.
Keys to Avoiding Trouble
Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
Maintain the tires meticulously.
Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

keithcant wrote:Are the 'COMPLAINERS' Marathon comments based on recent problems ....or from 3-5 yrs ago.

i ran the goodyear marathons for the last 3 years, and have had 2 of them fll apart, i keep them filled with the proper air pressure, keep them covered from the sun, use them at least 1 or 2 times a week, first tire completly blew out, tearing up my fender, lic. plate holder, rim was destroyed, tail light assembly totally gone.... 2nd tire just happened a few weeks ago, i went to check the air pressure and noticed a BIG chunk of tread missing and noticed the whole bead was pulling off the tire.... my tire guy said goodyear moved their trailer tire plant to canada, and have had quite a few problems with the goodyears, the tire had a ton of good tread.... i also have used the remmingtons, but there not being made anymore... most of the tires are made by only a few manufactures, they just put different tread pattern and different names... im done with the goodyears, im running some off brand tire, called " trailer radial " got them for $60. out the door, mounted and balanced... 3 to 5 years is max for a trailer tire, i got about 10,000 miles from the first goodyear, and about 12,000 on the second one, so i did get some good use from them, but they both ended up falling apart, even with a LOT of tread left on them....
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I have owned two single axle 19ft Champions over the last 10 years. This is as big a boat as you want to have with a single axle. I had the same peeling issue with two sets of the Marathons. Also, the ones that did't peel wore way too quickly. My lastest Champion trailer has 14" TRAILAMERICA tires that came stock and they still look brand new two and half years later. I am going to replace them with the same tires if I can find them. Does anyone know where to find them?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I did a quick online search for Trail America tires, and found they've had problems, too.
Man, it sucks when you can't even trust the tires you buy.
Maybe buying from a reputable dealer is the best you can hope for in terms of getting something decent.
Of course, when I did buy a Carlisle replacement tire from Firestone, and it went bad, the dealer said "trailer tires have no warranty", so I guess that's not much help, either.
I find it strange that trailer tires are supposed to be stronger than car or truck tires, and yet you don't get nearly the mileage or reliability.
I haven't had this many truck or car tire problems in almost 50 years of driving, and that includes when we used to buy recaps. Maybe one or two out of round tires, and problems when they first came out with steel belted radials, but nothing like my problems in the few short years I've been towing a boat.
Steve, tell me again why truck tires are no good for trailers????
I live near a Uhaul Rental yard. I'm going to ask them what tires they use on their trailers.
CLEAN AND DRY
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

my tire guy is an independent dealer, he can get ANY brand for great prices. but he had TERRIBLE things to say about the carlilse, he wont even sell them any more, and yes your right NO WARRANTY on trailer tires.... im down in so. cal and our roads are a mess, especially driving the 5 fry. so many big rigs tearing up the pavement, BIG dips in the road, are a good reason for the tire delamination, i only run a 17-6" champion with a single axle trailer, but going over some of these big dips, i watch the trailer tire, and you can see how much tire wall flex there is, almost 2 " at times.. so between this and putting hot tires into the cold water, sun, has a lot to do with tire failing. i learned the hard way, but i now keep a good eye on my trailer tires now :wink:
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Funny this should come up today as I had to get my first ever trailer tire repaired - a nail in it. Some of you know as a guide I am towing day and night! I have only run Marathons on all my Ranger trailers with NO problems. Maybe I have been lucky too, but I really love them. However, since I am on the go always, I usually replace my tires a little before I need to. Whatever brand you use, don't push them to the bitter end, or you could be bitter on the side of the road!
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

"LT"tire load range E or better? I don't really know. Good question though. I will have to find out.
sy

Post by sy »

i have power kings towmaxx. no problems
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

I used to work at an RV place in late 80's and early 90's. Back then radial tires couldn't be used on travel trailers because they didn't have shocks on them. They recomended bias ply tires as they would resist "scuffing" that occurs when trailers bounce up and down. Back in those days I always used cheap bias ply tires and never had a problem.

Then when bias ply tires became hard to get in the early 00's I started buying cheap trailer tires (Carlisles). Big mistake, went through 2 sets in less than a year. Called Trail-Rite traier guy thinking I may have an axle problem. He asked if I was running Carlisle tires. I went and looked and he was right. He recommended Marathons and I've used them ever since.

Even though these are called trailer radials, they must be designed to overcome "scuffing". I've always wondered why boat trailers don't have shock absorbers? Does anybody know?
There She Is!!!
Steve Perkins

Post by Steve Perkins »

Get the Goodyear Marathons.

Last edited by Steve Perkins on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 14:6

Clear Lake Fishing Guide
https://steveperkinsfishing.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Delaney wrote:I used to work at an RV place in late 80's and early 90's. Back then radial tires couldn't be used on travel trailers because they didn't have shocks on them. They recomended bias ply tires as they would resist "scuffing" that occurs when trailers bounce up and down. Back in those days I always used cheap bias ply tires and never had a problem.

Then when bias ply tires became hard to get in the early 00's I started buying cheap trailer tires (Carlisles). Big mistake, went through 2 sets in less than a year. Called Trail-Rite traier guy thinking I may have an axle problem. He asked if I was running Carlisle tires. I went and looked and he was right. He recommended Marathons and I've used them ever since.

Even though these are called trailer radials, they must be designed to overcome "scuffing". I've always wondered why boat trailers don't have shock absorbers? Does anybody know?
That's a very good question. Why don't boat trailers have shocks?
CLEAN AND DRY
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

My fishin partner bought a champ boat and a champ trailer and it has shocks on it. What a difference when going over bumps Don't know if the orig owner had it installed or it came with it. That was the orig trailer on the boat.
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

My 95 Champ had tandem axles w/leafsprings and shocks
my 04 has only leafsprings. Can't really recall a difference
between the two towing. But shocks sure Would be nice.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I wonder if it's an issue of the shocks being immersed in water, or is it just a way to save money?
Shocks would make towing a lot easier and smoother. And they should make the tires last longer, too.
CLEAN AND DRY
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I had bad experience with both Goodyear and Carlisles.

Both bad wear and blow outs at speed.

I've tried all of the proper maintenance tips as well.

I am trying a new tire (for me that is).
It's only been on for awhile now so I can't give too much input.
I know the boat does ride better on the tire. It has a higher load capacity and I can run higher air pressure.
Nice looking tread, although I've never been too concerned about what the tread looks like on a trailer.

Here is a link to the information on the tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Radial+857

Good Luck,
Rene
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

My partner who's trailer has shocks but no leaf spring had that boat over 3 years and he's the 2nd owner. We alt boats on w/ends and that is a good question on how well shocks handle being imerse in water. Would love to have it installed in mine, but due to the cost ????
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

My Skeeter trailer (EZ Loader) has torsion bars. Seem to work very well for both ride and tire wear. Marathon tires.

John.
rmd

Post by rmd »

Mark you are right about the shock being submerge in water the oring or seal will start to crack and leak they are not to be submerge
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

rmd wrote:Mark you are right about the shock being submerge in water the oring or seal will start to crack and leak they are not to be submerge
Aren't there some off road vehicle shocks that are rated for water?
I'm pretty sure the ATV's must have something they use.
CLEAN AND DRY
rmd

Post by rmd »

Mark maybe but what is on the trailer you see are car shocks,I know some guys that have shocks on there trailers and they are leaking
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

rmd wrote:Mark maybe but what is on the trailer you see are car shocks,I know some guys that have shocks on there trailers and they are leaking
George,
I just got off the phone with Pacific Trailers.
They said the same thing.
They also said the reason to use trailer only tires is that the sidewalls are reinforced for the time they sit around, not moving.
CLEAN AND DRY
rmd

Post by rmd »

mark thats way on are trailer safety device has a air bag in side we give it a little shot of air and it acts like a shock now your trailer does not bounce so much and helps pervent your leaf spring from breaking if you need more information give me a call,Thanks
george 408-988-1785
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

George,
If you product is the same one I read about here a few years ago, I was actually wondering how it could stand up to water immersion if regular shocks can't.
Do you have a website?
CLEAN AND DRY
Popper

Post by Popper »

Swim bait,

I've used Marathon's for 16 years on both of my Ranger trailers. And replaced (1) set on the 1st Ranger after 8 years of use.
-No problems..................

As with any brand of tire, maintenance goes a long.........way (check your tire pressure and maintain the specified PSI rating).

Marathon's are excellent trailer tires, and I'll purchase another set when my tires have run their course.

Ed
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

I've been buying from americas tire company there online. In 13 years i've replaced them twice
swim-bait com

Post by swim-bait com »

Thanks for the replys.

I purchased 5 goodyear marathons for $525 mounted and balanced from Tucker Tires in South Orange County

Thanks again
WWW.SWIM-BAIT.COM